three

All I Wanted Was..

In my life, I've had a notorious record of unintentionally making enemies. 

When I was eight years old - an innocent child attending elementary and enjoying my times of recess and learning to write my name in fancy cursive - I was still as shy and quiet as I am today. I made one enemy that year, and I didn't know how. Maybe it was because the teacher gave me an award for prettiest handwriting and didn't give one to my best friend who sat next to me at the same table every day during our writing practice. Needless to say, she got angry, we fought (words only) and thankfully I had to change schools - because I was moving into a new city - allowing to me escape any further wrath. 

The second time I made an enemy was when I was in sixth grade, just before I was about to enter middle school. Sixth grade was when I discovered my first crush. It was the first time in my life I looked forward to coming to school every day because I would get to see Yonghwa's bright, smiling face. Unlike the kind of guy magnet I am now (haha I'm funny) I never spoke to Yonghwa, ever. Reason one being, I was still deathly shy; reason two being, my friend had a huge crush in him, too. What were the odds? Actually pretty high since almost everyone in the sixth grade thought Yonghwa was hot stuff. Until the middle of the school year, my friend had no idea I liked Yonghwa as much as she did. What happened when she did find out? You can guess she became my enemy. We got in a physical fight unlike the first girl. My friend threatened to not be my friend anymore and even pulled my hair when I told her I wouldn't stop liking Yonghwa just because she did too. Even though I told her I had no intention of confessing to Yonghwa, the thought of me even liking the same person as her put her on the edge. 

So here I am today, still shy and quiet, but now with a good knack at sarcasm to defend myself rather than with fists. Thankfully when I met Jaehwa everything was different. We hardly fought and when we did, it was always a two minute argument then we'd be over it and get some snacks. She scolds me when I need some sense to be slapped into me, she gives me advice, and she hears me out rather than overshadowing my opinions with her own. (I'm still meek when it comes to Hyerin, though.) 

Although it's been a while since I made an actual enemy, almost six years and I had no intention of creating enemies in the first place, I, once again, was able to keep my streak and add someone to the top of my list. His name is Park Jimin; and I knew exactly how he earned his way up there.



Something was scrawled on the board that I could barely understand. The teacher's handwriting was horrendous; it was a mixture of cursive and some sort of alien language. Trust me, it did look like that. I realized later it was the homework he assigned yesterday and homework he planned on assigning today. I slid my binder out in front of me to pull last night's homework out and got my notebook out of my bag to start tonight's. 

Row by two students stood up to have their homework checked by the teacher. My row was eventually called and I stood up. The health teacher up ahead glanced at the paper for error and looked up at the student in front of him to add a comment. He rubbed his rubber stamp against a red pallet and stamped the paper. The process just went on until I got to the front. 

When two or three of people were left ahead of me, the next row was called up. I moved up to receive my stamp and walked back to my desk. I sat down and pushed myself in. Someone walked by and slid their hand right by my things, spilling my binder along with the papers in it and my notebook. I scoffed. 

"What the heck?" I half-yelled at the person. I knew that was on purpose. No other than Park Jimin was smirking down at me after what he'd done. He mouthed a "woops" when he walked passed my things. I heard myself growl in frustration (but thankfully not that loudly).

"Mr. Park, I saw that. You better pick it up." My teacher's voice echoed from behind the now turning bodies of the students who waited in line. Jimin stopped in his tracks passed my desk and lazed his way back over to help pick up my stuff. I heard a few chuckles and Jimin was already down in front of me shoving loose papers toward me. I rolled my eyes at his attitude. 

"There. Happy?" He muttered. I didn't say any thanks and just told him:
"Get my binder. It's behind you." Jimin turned and reached for it, grabbing it the wrong way and spilling out the remainder of papers. "Nice." I said with sarcasm. Jimin tsked like he didn't care and just picked up the papers. After I finished gathering all the other loose sheets and piling them together orderly, I looked at Jimin to give me my binder. He wore a devilish smile at the corner of his lips. I frowned at his weird expression and just ripped the binder out of his hand. 

"Thanks. You can leave now." I said without any trace of sincerity. Jimin got up and shoved his hands in his pockets. His pockets made a paper crunching sound when he put his hands in his pockets, like he crushed his homework and he stalked away with his annoying, condescending flare. 

I stood up and turned back into my seat. Jimin's sleazy smiled was etched in my brain, giving me chills.



I went to my economics class kind of feeling like crap. Sorry for the language. I didn't know why I felt really groggy; maybe the slop that the school called lunch finally got to me. I knew I shouldn't have touched the kimchi. It looked brown... I slumped in my seat and just prayed for the class to start; the sooner it started, the sooner it would end. 

"Hey sunshine!" A pair of hands drummed a beat on my desk and the person did his own little 360 before gracing me with his angelic grin. As many butterflies there were fluttering around in my stomach at being called "sunshine," I couldn't bring myself to smile back with the same grace or enthusiasm. 

"Ah, hey Jungkook." I tried to smile brightly but it felt weak. Jungkook's smile slowly fell when he examined my condition. 
"You alright?" He asked. I tried to smile again but my stomach beat me to it. I felt it flip upside down in a split second, making me want to bring that kimchi back to the surface. "Whoa, uh. Shouldn't you go to the nurse? Your face is looking a little green." Just what I needed to hear: that I look like a mushroom in front of my crush. I shook my head and held my breath. 

"No I'm fine." Thankfully the bell rang and the teacher walked in telling everyone to sit down for roll call. I motioned for Jungkook to scurry over to his seat. He did hesitantly for a moment then sat down, directing his eyes to the teacher. 

"Okay class. I have some things to catch up on and such. So, only for today, you have a free period. Just today! So spend it wisely." 

The class cheered and high-fived their friends around them. Everyone moved around to switch seats to talk more comfortably to each other. I sighed and slouched in my seat. All I wanted to do was sleep. Going to the nurse's office actually sounded like a splendid idea right now; they had a bed in there for you to rest. I could just hear it calling to me...

Jungkook came by and sat in the empty seat next to me when I opened my eyes after hearing him. I raised an eyebrow when I saw him untangling a pair of ear buds. He turned and saw me looking at him. My automatic response was to turn away, and I did. I heard him chuckle next to me. 

"Did I wake you up?" He asked. My eyes were closed again lightly so I couldn't see what kind of expression he had. I pouted to myself.

"Uh no." Something then went in my ear causing me to open my eyes. I looked over at Jungkook again; he was scrolling down on his phone. His finger stopped and a song started to play. 

haruman neowa naega hamkkehal su itdamyeon
haruman neowa naega sonjabeul su itdamyeon
haruman neowa naega hamkkehal su itdamyeon
haruman (haruman)
neowa naega hamkkehal su itdamyeon



I nodded my head in harmony with the music and listened to the sweet lyrics of the song. 

"Who sings this-" 
"Shh! This is the best part." Jungkook shushed me when I was about to ask him something. The part he told me to be quiet at was a rap. I tried to catch everything the rapper was saying but it was a little fast. I still got the gist of it. The song ended and it changed to a random song before Jungkook finally addressed me. 

"How was it?" He asked. 
"It was really nice. I was gonna ask who sings it." Jungkook shrugged. 
"This rookie group. They're really popular right now. Surprised you haven't heard of it." Now it was my turn to shrug. Jungkook just smiled. In the background there were bells chiming; it was coming from the music. 

"Does it still hurt?" Jungkook asked all of sudden, breaking my attention from the music in my ear. 
"Huh?" Jungkook's eyes shifted to where my hand once was, on top of my stomach. "Oh! Huh, I actually forgot about it." I stifled a laugh. 

"Then my mission is complete." Jungkook said with a thumbs up. I furrowed my eyebrows but let the ends of my mouth curl up in a grin. There was a moment of silence between us, but it wasn't on purpose. I think the music stopped. 

All of a sudden screaming and instruments ripping their sound blared in my ears. Jungkook and I jumped in our seats and I took the earpiece off. Jungkook hurriedly unlocked his phone and turned down the volume. We looked at each other a bit surprised, then laughed. 

"Sorry. I forgot the song did that." He apologized. 
"Was that supposed to make me feel better, too?" I laughed. Jungkook laughed bashfully and shrugged his shoulders. 

The bell for the end of class rang and everyone started to file out. Thankfully my stomach wasn't giving me attitude anymore so I had the strength to walk home without any hassle. Jungkook, ahead of me, was saying something to someone and gave them one of those guy handshakes. 

"Oh hey man. What are you doing here?" I followed out after him and saw who he was talking to. A scowl unconsciously formed on my face when I saw it was Jimin. 

"I had to give something to Haemi. She left it in health class." I couldn't tell if he knew I was standing a few feet away from him because he didn't acknowledge my presence. Jungkook nodded and left first saying he had to stop by his locker and that he'd meet up with Jimin and the others later. 

After Jungkook left, all the students cleared, and standing blankly waiting for Jimin to give me whatever the heck it was needed give me, I coughed. Jimin turned his head, and only his head, toward me, giving me a questioning look. 

"What do you need to give me? Just hurry up." I said after he didn't say anything. He finally turned his whole body and looked at me with the same look. I shot up an eyebrow wondering what the he was looking at. He pulled his hand out of his pocket and held out a paper. He held his head up waiting for me to take it. I stared at the folded sheet skeptically then took it. I looked from the paper to Jimin who now smiled that devilish way that gave me goose bumps. 

"Later." He said and turned his heel to walk away. Very slowly I might add. I watched him walk away for a while and just shook my head, thinking what a freak he was. 

I unfolded the paper; my heart fell to my stomach. When I looked up, Jimin was gone. I cursed out loud and stomped away. The nausea came back and my head was spinning. I didn't know if it was from my stomach or the endless amounts of thoughts I had from the letter. 

When I got home I let it all out. I locked myself in the bathroom. Out of all the thoughts that flooded my head to the point of drowning, one haunted me: 

Jimin knows I like Jungkook.