Prologue

All I Wanted Was..

"Ugh! Sometimes she can be so annoying, I swear." I stuffed a handful of popcorn in my mouth, my teeth crunching more vigorously due to my frustration. A hand pressed my chin against the top of my mouth and closed it. 
"You're spilling all over the floor! You're wasting it." I looked down and noticed bits of popcorn scattered all around my area, not to mention some drool at that. Talk about unlady like. I wiped my hand across my buttered up mouth and shooed my bits of popcorn elsewhere to later be vacuumed up by myself. 

"But I do I agree with you. Seriously Haemi, when are you going to stop being a pushover?" I turned to my friend who looked at me with a cocked eyebrow and an expression of annoyance. I always ranted to her about my younger sister and all the things she would do and say that just got the corkscrews in my head grinding against one another. 

"It's easy for you to say Jojo. You have your brothers all under control. Not to mention you have your parents backing you up." I sulked in my spot. Jaehwa shoved me on the shoulder almost toppling me over. 

 

"That's because they know who the oldest is in the house. You need to put your sister in her place and let her know who's boss. Go and throw her around a bit." Jaehwa's voice began to rise like it always did when she gave me advice; she always got all heated up when we talked about Hyerin. I started laughing only to earn a confused expression from Jaehwa and a questioning tone. 
 

"You're so funny Jaehwa. That's why I love you." Jaehwa only clicked her tongue after complimenting her and turned back to the movie we were watching. 
"Tch, I wasn't trying to be funny. I was serious. Ya gotta beat her up every once and a while." She mumbled the last part and grabbed a few more pieces of popcorn from the bowl separating us. I lunged myself to the side and trapped her in an embrace. She squirmed as she tried to get me to loosen up but I only held tighter. 
"Thank you Jojo." I said. Jaehwa didn't say anything back and I didn't expect her to. When she stopped resisting I understood that she welcomed my hug and understood my genuine gratefulness. Nights like this were the best. Lounging around watching a movie, replaying the funny parts and laughing until our stomach formed six packs, and just enjoying each other's company. The perfect girl's day/slumber party. 


The movie ended and the credits scrolled all the way down to the last name. I got up to take the DVD out of the disk player while Jaehwa took the bowl of popcorn and empty cups over to the kitchen. As I clicked the disk back into its rightful place in the DVD box I heard Jaehwa's voice call from the kitchen. 

"When are you gonna confess to Jungkook already?" My heart immediately skipped at the name. When I didn't respond, Jaehwa came out of the kitchen and stood staring at me as she waited for an answer. I turned my back toward her and changed the channel on the tv.
"W-well, when are you gonna invite me to sit with you at their table, huh?" I tried to counterattack.
"I did, remember? Hundreds of times but you're always like, 'No no Jojo they're busy with their friends. You can go I'll stay.'" My eyes moved from the tv screen to the wall before I tried to explain her accurate accusation. 
"Well, you could go.." I mumbled, not that it mattered. 
"As if I'd actually leave you to eat lunch by yourself." Jaehwa was all of a sudden by my side and grabbed the television remote that laid on top of the TV set and complained how slow I was. 

"Seriously Haemi, you've had a crush on Jungkook for what? Like, three years now. And this year you're lucky enough to have not one class with him, but two! God is telling you to make a move already." Jaehwa said. I scrunched up my nose at her. It was easy for her to say, considering her boyfriend was friends with my said three-year crush. The image of sitting with him and his friends, smiling with him, laughing with him, even being that close to him made my ears turn red. Maybe she was right. I set my mind straight. 

"You know what, you're right. Tomorrow at lunch, I'll go with you to eat at Jungkook's table." Jaehwa looked at me with pure shock. I tried to keep my determined face on point but in the back of my mind I was already regretting what I said. There was no backing out now. Jaehwa was more excited than I was when I told her. She planned that first thing in the morning she'd pick my outfit and I'll get all dolled up for lunch. 

The two of us set up the futons to prepare for bed. 

"Good night Haemi. Sleep well for tomorrow." I could just hear the smile in Jaehwa's voice when she said that. I shuffled in my bed and covered the blanket up to my ears. 
"Uh yeah." I laughed nervously. "Goodnight Jaehwa." 

I closed my eyes and tried to get some sleep. In the back of my head, I wondered, if I can even get some shut eye that night. What made it worse: I dreamt of Jeon Jungkook.