one

All I Wanted Was..

Today was the day. There was no point in wishing it was a dream. I stepped out of the shower and rubbed the towel all over my head until my hair was damp. I walked in my room to see Jaehwa already half ready in the school uniform. She had kindly laid out mine for me on the bed. I thanked her and got a nod as a response as she made her way over to the tiny vanity mirror in mine and Hyerin's room. I changed more quickly than usual for no apparent reason. I knew better than anyone that I was nervous even though the day has yet to begin. Jaehwa's silence only made me even more nervous, leaving me to fill my mind with more worrying thoughts. 

"Hey Jojo?" I asked in order to break the silence. She hummed as she finished tying the bow under the collar of her blouse. Before I could say anything else she interjected. 

"If you're thinking of backing out, don't. Because I'll be watching you like a hawk and sticking to your side like chewed up gum when the time comes." I scrunched up my nose at her gross description. Jaehwa happened to catch me and we both laughed. For a second I forgot why I was nervous. But only for a second, because once I finished getting dressed, Jaehwa pulled me out the door. 




It was weird being at school so early. The blue benches beneath the infamous tree that shaded the cool kids of the school yard were empty at this time of day. Jaehwa and I sat down a few tables away from the table. I wasn't ready to go there just yet. 

I my bottom lip as I anxiously poured milk into my cereal. My stomach rumbled when my meal was almost ready. Across the table, Jaehwa passed her milk over to me and ate her bagel silently. In exchange, I slid over my pear to her side. Jaehwa scowled at me when the fruit stopped rolling in front of her. 

"You know I hate pears." She chided. I giggled. 
"Consider it a thank you gift."
"More like a punishment. But don't worry I'll get you back when lunch comes." Sometimes I just wish she would stop mentioning it. I was nervous enough as it is. 

We talked about random stuff, usually our dreams. It was something Jaehwa and I always did. It was our thing. Sometimes they were weird, sometimes they were cute, but most of the time it was random and we didn't remember the whole thing. This time I let Jaehwa do all the talking. I wouldn't admit that I dreamt of Jungkook last night. Mostly because it was extremely embarrassing. No one needs to hear that story. 



The bell rang all too soon. I tried to keep calm as Jaehwa and I parted ways to our different classrooms. Lunch wasn't for another five hours; I had time to rehearse what to say. I stopped in my tracks and brought my hands to my face and started to lightly slap my cheeks. I noticed some students pass by giving me weird looks and a couple of girls with their arms linked giggling at me. I glared at them inwardly. If they were confessing to a guy they've not spoken more than two words to, they'd be sweating bricks, too. I left for class and kept the time in mind to prepare. Five hours 



Five hours. That turned into four hours, which turned to three. And now I was at three minutes. My hand was hurting from writing an in-class essay that I have yet to turn in although I was finished. I stalled as much as I can, not planning to turn the paper in until the bell rang and everyone's time had inevitably run out. Soon mine would, too. 

The bell rang and the teacher told everyone to put their pencils down. The class sighed regrettably in unison. One by one each student stood in line to hand in their paper. I shuffled my way toward the back of the line, politely passing by others on the way. I managed to waste five minutes by the time I reached the front of the line and get my things together to leave. 

I walked out the door and jumped when someone suddenly appeared in front of me. Jaehwa stood with her arms crossed and one of her eyebrows cocked. 

"Stuck like chewed gum." She said. She looped her arm in mine and dragged me down the hall and out to the lunch lines. 

Unlike this morning, the quad was loud and crowded with people. That shady tree that had no company before was no surrounded by a bunch of rowdy students chatting at their table. I spotted Jungkook sitting with his friends at the table under the tree. My heart rate picked up and I felt my face burn up. I started to turn back but Jaehwa stopped me with and shove of the shoulder. 

"Where do you think you're going? Jungkook's table is over there." She pointed out, not that she needed to; I was trying to walk in the opposite direction. Jaehwa held her persistent gaze as she waited for me to walk on ahead and make sure I wouldn't try to escape. 

We approached the table together but no one noticed our presence. I sighed in short relief until Jaehwa announced us. 

"Hey guys! Mind if we sit here?" The boys' faces all lit up suddenly by Jaehwa. Even Jungkook's, which only made me even more shy. His angelic smile made my heart want to jump out of my chest. 

"Jaehwa noona! You never come and sit with us! Sit next to me, nae?" A boy with a wide, squarish smile called out to Jaehwa and patted the seat next to him. He shoved another boy with golden brown hair and soft eyes over to make room. The boy kind of scowled at the enthusiastic one for shoving him. It was kind of cute. 

A hand slightly touched my shoulder in between Jaehwa and I. 

"Actually, she'll be sitting next to me. Sorry Taehyung." Jaehwa and I turned to see a boy who had his arm around Jaehwa's shoulder and looking into Jaehwa's eyes with his own twinkle in his. It was Jaehwa's boyfriend, Min Yoongi. Jaehwa exchanged her surprised expression to a bright one when she realized it was him. 

Despite the sudden appearance, Jaehwa didn't miss a beat. 

"Guys, this is Haemi. She's my here today." Jaehwa joked. I sneaked a glare her way and she smiled innocently like nothing was wrong. 
"Hi Haemi. Thank you for taking care of my Jaehwa. You're welcome to sit wherever. That is if these kids move their butts over." Jaehwa's boyfriend peered from the side of Jaehwa's face and greeted me kindly. I shyly nodded in thanks then looked at Jaehwa for some help. She smiled and urged me to sit; we had been standing in front of a group of guys the whole time. 

"You can sit here." The bright boy from before caught my attention and showed me where to sit. This just happened to be between Jungkook and him. I gulped in nervousness and walked like everything was fine to where Taehyung (?) was referring. But everything was not fine! Already I was going to sit next to Jungkook?! I prayed to The Lord he wouldn't hear my heart beating heavily by just being so close to him.

I sat quietly and excused myself as I sat. The bright boy laughed when I sat down, only making me wonder what the heck was so funny. 
"That's cute how you're so shy." He said. The unnecessary comment only made me more nervous, although I knew he was just trying to be nice, in his own way. I avoided eye contact with Jungkook next to me and just smiled politely at the bright boy. The one who scowled earlier flicked the bright one's head. 

"You're making her feel weird. Sorry, he's just weird. You'll get used to it." He said. I laughed a little at his apology for the latter and said it was okay. 
"My name's Seokjin. But you can call me Jin. Your name was Haemi right?" I smiled genuinely and nodded. This guy was easy to talk to and nice. I felt more at ease when he spoke. 

I was introduced to everyone else at the table as we all ate our lunches. The bright boy's name was Taehyung but I still felt cautious around him. The kind (and exceptionally handsome one I might add) was Jin. The smartest boy of the bunch who had short black hair was Namjoon. The hyper but apparently very hopeful one was Hoseok. He was another one I liked. Definitely the vitamin of the bunch. Of course Yoongi, Jaehwa's boyfriend. Then there was Jungkook and one last boy who struck me as cocky. His name was Jimin. He had a head of black hair, round eyes, a full face and undoubtedly a build. Not comfortable with that guy either, especially the way he came off as conceited. Well, he wasn't my problem right now.

"Hey Haemi," someone called my name. That voice belonged to no other than the one who made my heart skip like rocks in the Han River. I turned and realized Jungkook said my name. Jeon Jungkook said my name. On the outside I was calmly listening to what he was saying, but in my head I was screaming. All I saw was Jungkook's lips moving, possibly saying words but I wasn't really hearing him. He stopped talking and he kind of smiled in a shy way. 

"Yeah. Haemi you have two classes with Jungkook don't you?" This time, Jaehwa said my name. I turned to her and saw she was sending me signals with her eyes. I then realized what Jungkook was talking about and snapped back into reality. I quickly turned back to Jungkook and nodded like I knew what I was doing earlier. 

"Yeah. We have ethics and economics together. You probably didn't notice though. I'm always in the back." I responded. Jungkook did the cutest thing a person could possibly do: he nodded his head with his mouth slightly open like he had just been given the answer to a question in a game show.

"No wonder. But I did recognize you. I just couldn't remember from where. Sorry." He smiled shyly almost causing his eyes to disappear and shape themselves into full crescents. 

"That kid forgets everything." Jin chimed in, causing Jungkook to scratch his head in embarrassment. I had to look away from him for a moment before my chest would explode. Too much Jeon Jungkook in one day. And I couldn't stand his cuteness up close just yet. 

Thankfully, the lunch bell rang to save me from further anxiety. All the boys stood up and so did Jaehwa and I. I went to throw my trash out by myself while I waited for Jaehwa and her boyfriend to say goodbye.

"I'll see you tomorrow in class later then, Haemi." Another tray went in after mine and I saw Jungkook talking to me. 
"Ah, yeah. I'll see you then." I played it cool. Jungkook smiled and laughed a little before walking away and waving his hand goodbye and then disappearing into the wave of students. 

That's something else he needs to stop doing to save me from more distress: laughing. 

 

 

 

 

 


hello everyone~ I was actually going to wait to post the first chapter when my poster was ready, but I felt weird letting the chapter sit in my computer :3

So here it is haha. 

Thanks to those who subscribed already!