four

All I Wanted Was..

Mid-semester only meant one thing: mid-terms! I couldn't decide whether I was happy that my economics teacher decided to give us a final project instead of a test. Sure, taking tests were a pain but at least it'd be over in one sit-down. When it comes to projects, the urge to procrastinate infects you like a disease. 

There are two reasons why I'm indecisive about how to feel about this big project. The good reason is that it's a group project; the teacher created groups of four based on the different skills of the students. My group consisted of myself, Yook Sungjae, Kwon Sohyun, and Jeon Jungkook. I still couldn't believe the luck I was having with Jungkook these days. But that leads me to why I'm not so happy. 

As ecstatic as I was to being able to spend time with Jungkook, I can't help but be paranoid by everything I say and do and where I say and do it. Ever since Jimin gave me that letter, I've been keeping my interaction with Jungkook to a minimum, which is really frustrating. Do you know how hard it is to resist someone as wonderful as Jungkook especially if he WANTS to talk to you? Very. At any moment, Jimin can spill the beans to Jungkook and I couldn't do nothing about it. I was sure he made copies of my letter. Why else would he have held onto it for so long before returning it? And the fact that I have a bad record with Park Jimin and the fact he's at the top of my enemy list doesn't sedate my worries. 

Today is Wednesday. On Wednesdays, Jungkook and I agreed to split the work amongst each other for the project. Regrettably, I was elected as the leader of our group. My job was to get all the data and information the group gathered from their stocks and prepare them for presentation, along with correcting any error. Jungkook's job was to create the graphs for the stocks we've been watching. I'm not much of a math person so I was more than happy to delegate the job to Jungkook. 

Jungkook came to my house to meet and gather data at around 4:30. He had basketball practice for an hour before his coach excused him the other hour for the project. It was kind of weird thinking a boy would be coming to my house. Well, not weird exactly; but it was out of the ordinary in my case since I've never actually invited one to my house. My dad always invited his friends for a soccer match so the male species being in my home wasn't completely new to me. On the other hand, there was Hyerin. She has a habit for being nit-picky about everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. Clothes, shoes, food, music, opinions, you name it. Today wouldn't be an exception. What will she think when a guy like Jungkook walks in the door. I don't mean "a guy like Jungkook" as if he's bad, I mean...of our age. Attractive. I slapped my forehead. Shut up brain.

"So what do we have here exactly?" Jungkook asked with his fingers fiddling on the keys of his laptop. The clicking sounds made me just as anxious as him. I looked at the papers my other groups members gave me. Over the passed three weeks, it seemed we hit a slump. 

"It looks like we hit a slump." I said aloud. Jungkook leaned back in his seat, taking in a breath. 
"Is that bad?" He asked. I craned my neck over to the side when I couldn't think of any other way to tell him. 
"Well, if you think that losing $25 thousand is a good thing, then no." I said, subtracting the sarcastic tone I would normally add. Jungkook crinkled his lips and narrowed his eyes at me. 

"Gee thanks leader. Way to make us lose some big bucks. Do you know what I could've bought with that imaginary $25 thousand?" Jungkook played. I tapped my head with the end of my pencil, pretending to think. 
"Hm, maybe an imaginary pony?" Jungkook clapped his hands in triumph, the echo reverberating off the walls. 
"Yes! An imaginary horse for Hoseok hyung to prance around on!" We both laughed at his ridiculous fantasy. It was times like these where I forgot how funny Jungkook was, too. Just one of the (many) things I like about him. 

A thought occurred to me. Why do I like Jungkook? Before Jaehwa even mentioned confessing to him, I never even thought about talking to Jungkook. I mean, I did, but not in real life. That option always terrified me to the point of blanking out. And before I started talking to Jungkook, I knew nothing about him. All I knew is that he was in my class, cute, friends with Jaehwa's boyfriend, and possibly smart (which he was.) The more time I spent with him, the more I learned I about him, from his interests to his antics, which just added to the reasons I liked him so much. Learning these things about Jungkook gave me the sudden confidence that I actually had the right I like him. Instead of admiring him from afar, I could admire him up close and actually talk to him like a normal human being. 

"Hand me the stuff." Jungkook motioned his fingers to the papers I was looking at. I did so willingly and cleared my space. I my laptop and started to write an analysis. For a while, it was silent as both Jungkook and I worked on our individual duties. 

"Ah crap." I heard Jungkook say opposite me. I peered over my laptop to look at him. "I messed up on one of the numbers. UGH." He groaned. I hid back behind my screen to hide the laughter I failed to suppress. "I can hear you laughing. Shut up." Jungkook grumbled. I peeked over the laptop again and saw Jungkook look straight at me with laser beam eyes. I giggled when I couldn't hide my amusement any longer. A foot kicked me from under the table, making my leg go back. 
"Hey!" My voice came up in a sort of laugh. Jungkook smirked on the other side and brought his eyes down to the keyboard. 
"Immature much?" I retaliated. Jungkook lifted up his chin as if to look down at me and then looked back at his screen, completely ignoring my attack. I blew a raspberry and let him do whatever. On the inside, I enjoyed our little exchange, despite how short it was. 

The sound of footsteps came from around the corner by the living room. Hyerin came from our room upstairs and stood frozen for a moment when she saw Jungkook and I in the kitchen. 

"Hi Hyerin. Did you need something?" I asked politely as I always do. Her eyes shifted from me then to Jungkook for a second who meekly smiled at her. In my head I wished he didn't do that; Hyerin didn't deserve his priceless smile. 

"No. I'm just getting some water." Hyerin replied after a short moment. She made her way to the fridge, pulled out a water bottle, then disappeared back up the staircase without another word. This being a common thing, I just put my attention back to my work. 

"That's your sister?" Jungkook asked. I answered him without looking up, not really taking interest. "She's a lot like you." He commented. I stopped my typing to look directly at Jungkook across from me. 

"That, is an insult." I said flatly then put my eyes back on the screen. I heard Jungkook chuckle on the other side and felt a slight kick at my foot. I kicked back with the same force. 

After half an hour or so we both took a break. I stretched out my arms, reaching for the sky. I folded my fingers opened and closed to stretch them out. Jungkook turned his head left and right then up and down, a few audible cracks here and there. I got up to grab a couple water bottles from the refrigerator and tossed one over to Jungkook. He gulped almost half of it in ten seconds while I took a few swallows time after time. Soon we were back to work and making conversation to liven up the atmosphere a bit. 

"Anything interesting happen today?" Jungkook asked. I let the sound of the keys on the keyboard fill the air a bit as I finished a sentence and thought of what to say. 
"Not really. You?" I answered. 
"I beat Jimin hyung in basketball today." Just the mention of the name made the hairs on my neck stand up. I haven't even thought about him the whole time we worked. Those were blissful times. 

"Oh yeah? Is he on the basketball team too?" I tried to continue the conversation with fake interest. Jungkook shook his head when he opened the cap to his bottle of water. 
"No. He was just practicing with me. He's more of a dancer. Him and Hoseok hyung." I didn't say anything and just nodded. After a brief silence, Jungkook spoke again. 

"You don't like Jimin hyung much do you?" He asked. The question took me by surprise that I stopped typing. I looked over my laptop screen and saw that Jungkook was looking at me, observing my response. My eyes moved somewhere else. 

"It's not...that I don't like him exactly. He's just..." Annoying, a pain in the , a show-off, my number one enemy. I completed the sentence in my head. "He can be really annoying and rude." I chose the least offensive word on my list to describe him. Jungkook nodded his head once and made a different sound when he laughed at my description. 
"He's like that." Was all he said. 
"Not to mention cocky." I added after leveling some ground. I saw Jungkook's eyebrows move up in acknowledge as he took another swig from his water bottle. 

We both resumed our typing soon after and finished the drinks. Jungkook got up to throw the bottles in the recycling bin. 

"Hey," he called. I hummed for him to continue but he didn't say anything. So I turned toward him and asked again in case he didn't hear. 
"What is it?" He stood in front of the recycling bin, trying to shove some of the stuff inside deeper in to fit the other bottles in his hand. 

"What do you think of Jimin hyung?" He finally asked. I didn't have to think twice about the question, but I let a few seconds pass before answering to avoid any misunderstanding of problems I had with his friend. 

"In all honesty, he is my number one enemy." I answered as both a joke a truthfully. Hopefully Jungkook would buy it. Thankfully he did when he tossed the bottles nonchalantly in the bin and came back over to his station. 

"Good to know." 

 

 

 

 

 

 


ah hi.

Can I just ask something? Is the quality of the story going down a bit? Be honest.

The reason I ask is because I notice myself that it has; it's because I'm slowly starting to lose motivation.

I don't intend on giving up on the story but if I end up updating slower, please understand. I want to be able to write with the utmost enthusiasm and give you guys good chapters - not just feed you whatever I write every week to meet a quota. 

OKAY NO MORE HEAVY STUFF

Feel free to comment and give me feedback! Thank you to all the new subscribers and readers! Iwas genuinely surprised when I saw the number go up :D

love you all. until the next update: annyeong~