ten

All I Wanted Was..

Jungkook wasn't there for lunch because he had to retake a test. For seventh period he wasn't present either - apparently he had to leave school early for something. 

So for the past day, I didn't see Jeon Jungkook in or out of campus. Today was the last day to finish up our economics project. To be honest, I was panicking. There was still so much left to do, and only one day to do it all. Where have I been this whole semester? It went by so fast I can't even recall all of the things that happened. My head was in the clouds even today. All I thought about was thinking of what to say Jungkook. What was there to think of? The answer is either yes or no right? So why was I having a hard time? Yeah, that where my priorities lied. 

I slumped in the chair I was sitting on in the public library. Jungkook and I were supposed to meet here today. My house was going through some remodeling so all the wifi was shut down. Since the wifi was shut down, Hyerin would be cranky, and I did not want to be near a crank Hyerin and I doubt Jungkook would want to as well. 

I couldn't help but wonder if he'd even show up. Worry after worry stacked up in my brain. My mind juggled the project and my answer for Jungkook interchangeably. Not wanting to think anymore I put my head down on the table head first. I hit the wood too hard, hearing the thump when I put my head down. 

"That sounded like it hurt." A voice said. I looked up with dazed eyes and saw Jungkook chuckling at my stupid appearance. 
"Don't worry. I have a hard head." I knocked on my skull. I immediately felt dumb after doing it. Jungkook's eyebrows only went up at my lame joke and he set his stuff down. He pulled out his laptop, lifting the lid. He then pulled out a folder of papers. I followed his example and started taking all my data out as well. Jungkook was the man with the math skills and the tech wizard. He motioned with his fingers to hand the stuff I had over to him. I did so willingly then Jungkook was off to work. 

It was completely silent. Well, not really. The library was loud but we weren't. Jungkook had earbuds in his ears and was typing like the wind. Every once in a while his eyes would shift from the papers then back to the computer screen. I on the other hand, sat in my seat fiddling my fingers in my lap and looking nowhere in particular out of boredom. I had nothing to do; my job as leader was to facilitate everyone to make sure they were doing their jobs. I knew Jungkook was working judging by the sounds of the keys clicking under his fingers. Although this job did give me permission to stare at Jungkook, I didn't seize that opportunity. Firstly because, that's weird. I prefer to stare from afar thank you very much. Secondly, I couldn't bring myself to look at him even if it was to check if he needed help. So I resorted to bothering Jaehwa through LINE (hoping I wasn't really bothering her.) She didn't reply right away when I messaged her. 

"Hey can you check this out?" Jungkook spoke for the first time since arriving. I looked up immediately and stuck my phone in my pocket. I tried to lean over as Jungkook tried to turn the laptop. 
"Aish, just sit here and look." Jungkook pulled the computer back to himself and nodded his head over to the empty seat next to him. After a minute of useless thinking, I got up and sat next to him. Again he scooted his laptop over to my side to give me a better look. All I saw were numbers. Up, down, left, right and in graphs, too. I could feel my eyeballs swirling as I tried to follow what was going on. I ended up nodding absentmindedly. "Isn't this part right here weird?" Jungkook pointed his finger at a part on the graph. I stared at it with big eyes, trying to guess what he was referring to. Jungkook started explaining why he thought it was weird. The words went straight threw my head like a flock of birds. He looked back at me for comprehension and I had the same expression on my face: big eyes full of confusion. He clicked his tongue and pointed at the part again, this time leaning over me. Unexpectedly, his scent filled my nostrils. Jungkook smelled like the day: the scent of the sun's rays that beat down on him the way here, the dusty smell of the basketball court with a hint of sweat, and the smell of fresh linen that effectively covered the rest of the smells. He smelled like a spring time meadow. (Please stop.) I begged in my head. 

"Ah! Yeah yeah. That is weird. It should've looked like this right?" I patted Jungkook's....chest over to get him to look at the other side of the screen. My fingers were shaking when I pointed, but I put them down once Jungkook turned around. He studied the specific part of the graph and nodded in agreement, taking the laptop away to evaluate any mistakes. 

I had my hands back in my lap. My fingers were still shaking. Fudge. I refrained from cussing. Why couldn't my brain and hands think separately...I had touched Jungkook's chest. My fingers curled and uncurled themselves in my lap. The feeling came back to me. 
I knew Jungkook was fit, well muscled from playing basketball. The only real flesh he'd shown was his arms and legs. I liked to describe his arms as a secret. You never really saw the muscles unless he was flexing or making a shot in a game. Every other day, like now, they were just another part of Jungkook's physical set. But his chest. It was firm and chiseled something I didn't think he would be hiding. Especially with that baby face averting everyone else's attention. My phone vibrated in my pocket, making me flinch. Jaehwa finally responded. 

"Okay. I fixed it. I think we're about done. Is there anything else?" Jungkook sat back in his seat. I whipped the rubric to the project out of my folder and checked each piece diligently. Everything was in order. 
"Nope. It's all done." I said. Jungkook nodded and pulled his flash drive out of the laptop. 
"I'll print this then." He said as he walked over to the library computers, leaving me alone at the table. When he left I checked my phone. 

As I texted Jaehwa a reply, another text came and disrupted my typing. I groaned and finished what I was typing at first then sent it to Jaehwa. After the bubble for a sent message appeared, I checked the other text. I looked at it puzzled and turned around. The text read: "Hey." 

I turned around and Jungkook was standing by the public printer with his eyes staring down at his phone. After a moment or two of me still looking at him, he finally met my gaze. He made the gesture like he was waiting for me, then he pointed to his phone. I rolled my eyes then pointed my attention back to my screen, but not before catching Jungkook smirk. 

"Why are you texting me when I'm right behind you?" I texted back. Less than a minute later came another text. 

"Because you won't talk to me." I almost cooed out loud. Thankfully I kept in inside to build in my stomach. 

"Because I haven't seen you in two days >:P" Thirty seconds passed before a reply: 
"What? Did you miss me? ;)" Liked it was planned out; I looked back behind me and found Jungkook already smiling my way with a giddy-satisfied grin on his face. 

"Ew please. Now you sound like Jimin." 

I smiled while I typed the message then sent it. Surprisingly though, a reply didn't come as quickly as I'd anticipated. Two minutes later, still nothing. The message didn't even have an indication if it was read. I turned my head and saw Jungkook standing at the same spot by the printer pulling paper out with one hand and his other resting freely against a wooden rail with his phone. He stood up straight and started to walk back toward our table. Still no reply. 

When he sat down, he didn't look at me. He turned his laptop off and shut the lid. He pulled his backpack off the ground and set it flat on the table to put the papers in. Before I could stop him, he stood up and slung his backpack on, taking all his things with him. 

"Jungkook, I can take those and finish the project." He finally looked down at me. That was an understatement. He literally looked down at me physically and figuratively. Jungkook's eyes were impatient, like the words I spoke were ones he didn't want to hear. 

"I got it. Don't worry. I'll see you tomorrow." He said with a straight expression. The only movement on his face came from his eyebrows when they came up while he spoke. And then he was gone.