Chapter Eight

Expensive Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Eight: 

                     Sweetest Misery

Aeri POV

“Class dismissed.” my English professor announced to the class.

It was about damn time! I was getting a bit sleepy…

“Hey Aeri-ah!” Hyejin called at me from her desk. “Are you doing anything after class?”

“Hmm, no. Why?” I answered.

“I was just wondering if you could come with me to the mall. I’m getting my hair done and buying a dress!” she said excitedly.

“Oh?” I raised an eyebrow as I smile slyly at her. “What’s the occasion?”

I saw her suddenly turned bright pink. Hmm...there is only one reason for her to turned as red as a tomato and that reason has a name: Kim Jongdae.

“It’s mine and Jongdae’s third anniversary...and I wanna look pretty for him.”

“I see…” I nodded. “Well, alright then! Let’s go!”

“Uh, but first! Let’s get some coffee. I’ve been craving for one ever since class started! One more minute and I would’ve been a drooling mess!”

I had to laugh at that. “Tell me about it! I was also on my way to LaLa Land...thank God class it’s over!” I saw her agree with me.

“Then, let’s get some coffee first and then to the mall!”

“Okay!” I said as we both got up from our desk and walked out of the classroom.

---

We took a taxi and it left us right in front of our favorite coffee shop. You know which one...Minseok’s coffee shop of course! We walked inside and just when we do, I noticed two figures giving us their backs as they talked with Minseok and Sanghee. And of course , we all know who they are…

“Aeri-ah, aren’t those the chaebols you and Jangmi know?” Hyejin asked me as she looked at them laughing of God only knows what.

“Yeah…” I smiled, trying hard not to blush as I remember last week’s episode when me and Joonmyun almost...Arghh! Don’t think about it! Don’t think about it!

As if on cue, Joonmyun turned around and saw us. He quickly gave us one of those lovely smiles of his and waved his hand. Hyejin bowed and smiled as I stood there mesmerized. “Ah! You guys are here! Come, quick! I’ve being doing a few experiments and I’m in need of some test subjects!”

“Minseok-ah, you talk as if you were some mad scientist!” Sanghee laughed at his silliness, shaking her head.

“Really?! You know I’m up for anything! Let me try it!” Hyejin walked to the counter. The boys walked toward me, both smiling. “Aeri noona, how have you being?!” Yixing greeted me. “I’m good and you?”

“I’m pretty good too. Where’s Jangmi?” he asked as he looked around the coffee shop in hopes of taking a glimpse of my dear dongsaeng. Ha! Got ya, you silly boy…

“She didn’t come. She’s at the twins’ home doing a school project.” I smiled at him apologetically as I saw him look a bit sad. Aww, he’s so sweet...he’s a goner alright...head over heels for my Jangmi!

“Oh…” If Jangmi was only here...he looks so cute!

“So, what are you guys doing here? How have you been? Did you had any trouble back at home?” Ugh...so many questions, I look like an investigator…

“Just the usual, we always come here to talk with Minseok and Sanghee, ask them how the business is doing and just talk about random things. We’ve been great. And about that...how about we take a sit and we tell you everything?” Joonmyun answered all the questions and extended his arm, leading the way for me to take a sit.

I obeyed and took a sit as they did the same. “So, what happened back at home after your father went to the ramen shop to look for you two?!” I was really curious…

The boys looked at each other and then stared at me. “Well...we got to our house…”

 

◄◄◄Flashback

 

Joonmyun and Yixing reached their house alongside their father. They walked inside and were greeted by twelve maids and twelve butlers. “Evening masters.”  The boys nodded their heads in acknowledgement.

“Now boys, your mother thinks that you two were doing some business arrangements with me. Just play along with it...and if she asks about the credit card, tell her I allowed you to use it to buy some extra furniture for the vacation home, is that clear?” their father said in a low voice. Both boys nodded their heads.

Their father smiled at them and patted their shoulders. “Your mother is in the office. Go greet her.”

The boys nodded once again and walked in direction of their mother’s office. Joonmyun knocked once and then turned the doorknob. He allowed Yixing to walk inside first, then he followed him as he closed the door behind him. They saw their mother busy, reading some documents while writing something down on them.

After a whole minute, she finally put down the papers and looked up at the boys. “Well, well...what do we have here?” she smiled and stood up. She walked toward them and gave each a hug. “Hello, my boys. How have you been?” she looked at them, caressing both their faces.

“We’re well, mother.” Joonmyun replied.

“Are you?” she chuckled. “Well, I’m glad…” she stopped caressing them and walked back to her desk. “So...I’ve heard you’ve been a little naughty while I was away. You gave our bodyguards a hard time…” she looked at her left side, where the boss of the bodyguards was standing quietly.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, mother. We’ve been helping father with his things these whole time…”

“You have? Is that true, Yixing?”

“Y-Yes, mother.”

“Well, if you say so…” she smiled at him, making him more nervous. The truth was, he isn’t really good at lying and that’s why Joonmyun is the one that mostly does all the talking.

“Alright then, you may leave now. I’m a bit busy. We’ll talk more tomorrow…” she lowered her stare back to the documents. Yixing let out a sigh of relief and turned to leave.

“Oh, wait! I forgot to ask you two.!”

Joonmyun and Yixing turned to look back at their mother.

“I went to check my bank account and I saw that you used the gold card and went to spend on some furniture store. What was that for?” she took her glasses off and looked at them curiously.

“Father let us use it to buy some extra furniture for the vacation home, you can ask him if you want to.” Joonmyun quickly replied.

She looked from Joonmyun to Yixing very serious...then, she gave them a smile. “Ah...I see...I’ll ask your father later. Off you go now.” she put her glasses back on and continued doing what she was.

Both Joonmyun and Yixing bowed and turned around, opening the door and leaving their mother’s office. When Joonmyun was closing the door, when there was merely a gap, he clearly heard their mother say to the boss bodyguard: “Keep an eye on them. And find out what they’ve been doing while I was away.”

 

►►►End of Flashback

 

“And that’s why you haven’t heard from us in a week. We haven’t been able to even go to the apartment! I know they are following us as it is.” Joonmyun sighed.

“Wow...you guys are in major trouble now…”

Joonmyun yelped and jumped a little as he turned to his right. Beside them, Minseok, Sanghee and Hyejin were sitting in the table next to them with frappuccinos in their hands, looking at us.

“Dear Jesus! You startled me!” Joonmyun said with a surprised look.

“Oppa, I told you that ever since they met Aeri and Jangmi, they’ve been neglecting us. You see?! They didn’t even noticed we were right beside them!” Sanghee pouted as Minseok nodded in agreement.

“Well, this is interesting and all but me and Aeri gotta hit the mall! Right, Riri-ah?!” Hyejin stood up and pulled Aeri by the hand.

“Um, yeah...I have to go...I, um...I guess we’ll see you guys later?” I turned to stare at Joonmyun with a hopeful look.

“Yeah, don’t worry! We’ll find a way! Goodbye now!” Joonmyun smiled and I thought I was about to faint there...Please, stop smiling at me like that!

“Bye then!” I bowed to them and then to Minseok and Sanghee.

“Goodbye guys! Minseok-ah, thank you for the frapuccino!” Hyejin bowed and waved goodbye as we both left the coffee shop.

---

We took a cab and went straight to the mall. I was so glad to see Hyejin so excited for her date with Jongdae. After seeing her fight with that idiotic boyfriend of hers so many times, it’s about time for her to enjoy herself and make Jongdae see the kind of girl he has in front of him.

“Help me find a dress first. I saw some beautiful dresses in a catalog so I want to see if I can find one that suits the occasion!” she smiled, eager to enter the first store.

“Sure, any color or style in particular?”

“Hmm…don’t know yet. I guess I will know when I see it. Just show me any dress you think will suit me.” she entered the store and started going crazy over some of them.

Have you ever been to your closet and don’t know what to wear…? Well...that’s exactly what happened on every single store we went. Hyejin tried so many dresses that I lost count of them. Sometimes it was the color, other times the style, another time the length but she couldn’t decide which one to pick. We were losing hope and we had like two stores left.

“If I don’t find the perfect dress, I don’t know what I will do!” she started pouting a little.

“There were some pretty one’s on the last store. Why didn’t you bought one of those?”

“I liked one but…it just...wasn’t for me. I want a dress that makes me look special for Jongdae , you know?” she smiled a bit. “We’ve been through some rough patches lately and I just want him to see how much I care for him. I mean, I’m sure he knows but…” she sighed. “I don’t know. I just want today to be memorable.”

“I understand, Jin-ah.” I smiled at her. “ Come on, let’s go to the next store!” I pulled her by the arm.

We started going through the aisles, already ruling out dresses similar to the one’s we had already seen. I had one dress in my hand that I thought would look lovely on her when I heard her shriek. “Found it!” she came almost running to me excited. It was a beautiful black dress with hints of red along the fabric. When she went to try it on we knew that was the one. The length was perfect for her. Now I knew why she didn’t like previous ones. The style… it was gorgeous. It was a halter dress with the back exposed just enough to leave room for the imagination. If Jongdae didn’t like how she looked, you can bet he was gonna get a beating…and not from Hyejin.

Feeling happy with finding the perfect dress, it was time to go to the salon. Now that Hyejin had it, she knew how to style her hair. That reminds me...I will never go shopping with her again…it’s too tiring going to so many stores. And the time in the salon…that was another experience I wanted to avoid as much as possible. Being in a chair for who knows how many hours and a hairstyle that will only last a couple of hours more...This is really not for me. Just wait to fall in love…I heard the twins say in my head. Jesus! No! If this is what it takes, I don’t want it to happen…ever. I shook the thought away and continued talking with Hyejin while they were giving the finishing touches to her hair.

“Done!” the stylist said giving her a smile.

“I love it!” she sounded more than excited. I smiled at her.

“Now you’re ready to make him fall in love with you all over again!” I winked at her.

“You bet I am!” she smiled excited.

--

An hour later we were already on our way to the restaurant. I had to go to the ramen shop and it was on the way, and I wanted to make sure everything was good for her date. When we arrived to the restaurant, Hyejin stood frozen in front of the window…

I looked at her and saw how the color from her face drained completely. Oh my gosh...this was not good...I turned to look at the same direction she was and...my eyes opened wide in shock. How...dare...he!!!!

Right there, by the window, sitting inside the restaurant...was none other than Kim Jongdae...eating with a not so pretty girl. She is not pretty at all I tell you! He is probably with her for the money since I’ve heard this is a very expensive five star restaurant. Since I was so shocked I haven’t even noticed that Hyejin was no longer beside me, but I saw a glimpse of her dress walk inside the restaurant.

“Wait! Hyejin!” I called back at her.

“Good afternoon, mam! Do you--hey!” Hyejin ignored the host and just walked through the restaurant all the way to Jongdae’s table. I bowed to the host trying to apologize for her behaviour and I also followed her. Hyejin finally reached Jongdae’s table and once he sees her, he looked quite shocked.

“H-Hyejin! What are you doing here?!” 

“You want to know why I’m here? What day is today?” Hyejin asked exasperated.

He looked at her confuse. He clearly didn’t knew what day was today…

“Today is the 4th of March! You idiotic scumbag!”

And that was good enough for him to realized what day was today. He suddenly looked at Hyejin with an apologetic face and quickly stood up from his sit.

“Hyejin-ah…” he started but she quickly interrupted him. “Don’t...just, don’t...I have been saving up so I could reserve at this very expensive five star restaurant today...I went to the salon and spend hours doing my hair and make-up...went to many stores in search of the perfect dress and after the nth store I finally found it...and you...you just...forgot...?” she continued. “Not only did you forget...I come to the restaurant where I made the reservations and see that you are already here...and you got company.

I looked at Hyejin with a sad look on my face. I can see the tears in her eyes already welling up. Poor Jin-ah...she doesn’t deserve this…

“Tell me, Jongdae-ah...what did I do in my past life that was so wrong?!” she started to cry.

Jongdae also looks at her with a sad expression. He reached out a hand to touch her but she slaps it away.

“Don’t touch me!” she gives him a menacing look. "I never thought I would say this but...I guess I’ve had enough....this is the end Jongdae...don’t worry, you won’t see me again." and she runs out of the restaurant.

“Hyejin-ah!” Jongdae called after her.

“Wait! Jin-ah!” I go after her and exit the restaurant. I quickly looked around to see Hyejin getting in a taxi.

“Jin-ah!” I once again called at her but it’s too late. She is gone. I sighed.

Jin-ah…

---

I met Jangmi at the front of the ramen shop since we were both working t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter