Chapter 30

ずっと一緒に
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"we need to clean the theatre now. young lovers, please excuse yourselves from this theatre" an uncle holler at Ryuu and Megu from behind. They were blushing when they were obviously mistaken for a hot-blooded couple when they were nothing more than friends who just made up. in fact, both their minds were too confused, even for Ryuu who was the one initiating that kiss. He pondered hard since, if it was right to have done it when he has no idea his feelings towards her. he was sure his heart skipped a beat, he was sure it wasn't a reckless act, but did he do it out friendship or more, he wasn't sure. however, the moment he saw her lips curl into a subtle smile after the kiss, he did felt a strong sense of fulfillment, as if her happiness was his.

"lets go out," he took the lead and she tailed behind him, but right before they go through the door, he heard her footsteps paused. 

"what's wrong?" he asked with a soft tone, then he noticed the source of her hesitation. Her head was bent down as if in embarrassment. He had just the thing to fix it. he reached into his bag and retrieved his sunglasses.

"here wear it on first. leave the rest to me" he handed the glasses into her hands and gave an encouraging pat on her shoulders. Her heart was immensely consoled as she dazed upon his assuring backview. for some reason, she felt secured albeit temporary. she knew his gentleness was for her only for limited time, just like Cinderella's glass slipper and all things glamorous. 

"Ryuu, here!" Mariya waved excitedly and received him, as though Megu was invisible. Ryuu saw Megu slouched as though disappointed at the situation.

"Megu, you okay?" Mirai walked forth and asked with concerned eyes.

"I'm okay, Nakajima-san" she responded but didn't know how to explain her swollen eyes under the sunglasses if probed. Fortunately, as Ryuu has promised, he helped her with the excuse.

"ah, okasan, Megu has a bit of a sore eyes. I lent her my glasses, but I think she should head back to rest" Ryuu said. though Megu felt relieved, she at the same time felt saddened by his suggestion. it only meant that his time with her has expired, and that few seconds of moment with him was all she has gotten. she regretted not coming clean with him from the start, instead of the heated argument in the earlier part of the day. however, she has yet to hear what he has to say about her story... she knew perhaps he has nothing to say to her too. perhaps "happy valentines, my dearest friend" was the greatest hint he could give about their relationship. she asked herself if she should be satisfied with this answer, at least they're not enemy.

"I... I shall get going first.... arigatou Nakajima-san... arigatou Ryuu and Mariya..." she gave a timid glance at Ryuu then quickly averted from his eyes and rushed off with an awkward wave. 

"then where shall we go next, the three of us?" Mariya asked enthusiastically with her arms clinged around his.

"we'll go separate."

"heh?!" Mariya was astonished by Ryuu's answer. Just after she shook the gooseberry away, she thought she could have him all to herself, but he suggested otherwise. Mariya's heart sank but persisted nonetheless.

"why, the night is still young"

"yeah, but I have a date with my sister..."

"I can go along, if your sister don't mind..." Mariya suggested. Ryuu could sense her desperation, and felt weird over it instead of proud to be the center of her attention. he has never favored a girl who throws herself over a guy, who puts down her own dignity to obtain the love of another. unknown to Mariya, this impression she created is set to stay in his mind.

"she'll mind. sorry Mariya, I want some alone time with her and I promised," Ryuu could sense her embarrassment but did not know how else to put his point across.

"I told you I'll arrange another date with you right?" Ryuu smiled at her warmly.

"that invite is still open?" she asked in disbelief.

"of course. today can't be counted right~" he chuckled.

"okasan, you're gonna wait for otousan here right?"

"yeah..." Mirai has remained largely silent, watching her son tactfully handle the 2 girls, or rather, dismiss them. he wondered what he was intending to do cause she was already appalled by how he didn't offer to fetch Megu back. with his normal behavior, he would not have allowed a frail girl like Megu head home alone. well, her son is surprising her so she could only sit back and wait to be mind blown.

"do you think you can help me fetch Mariya home?" Ryuu asked.

"ohhh it's okay! I can go home myself...actually I'm not going home yet, I'm meeting my friends, so you guys can go ahead. Anyway, thank you for having me Nakajima-san. Ryuu, I'll hear from you again... bye" she ran off without turning back.

"I knew it" Mirai and Ryuu said in unison and looked at each other in surprise.

"okasan, why do I get the sensing you are not approving of her" Ryuu winked while throwing his arms over his mother, leaning his head right on her shoulders. 

"hmm son, I get the feeling that you're using your sister as an excuse to get off the hook too... but well, you are partially right. we can go home and discuss further..."

"yeah okasan, you got your wish... you can finally talk about such stuff with me, ne okasan.."

"Yatta!"

they both laughed, then Ryuu suddenly stopped "ahhh.. okasan, I have to go now!"

"where are you rushing to? your date with your sister is three hours later..."

"I've something to do... enjoy your night with otousan! see you at home for our heart-to-heart chat session!" Ryuu dashed off without turning back. He drove his car with his eyes peeled at the side of the road. Then he saw the depressing figure, dragging across the street. He stopped his car, came out from his door and shouted "hey Megu, I'll drive you. come on"

Megu was startled to see Ryuu right beside. She didn't know to feel elated or shy but her eyes still deliberately avoided his. she's sure that her heart will not be able to take it if she sat on the passenger seat beside him, so she profusely refused.

"it's okay, I can walk home"

"are you kidding me? I'm sure your house is not anywhere near. I'm not giving you a choice in that case. just come up" he walked to her and clutched her arms firmly, leading her right into his car. he leaned himself close enough for her to smell his seductive cologne and his sweet citrus breathe, in order to strap her into her seat. Her heart was racing fast as that proximity reminded of her kiss with him earlier, which was also her maiden kiss. his supple lips flashed through her senses, making her face flush. She noticed Ryuu looking at her, afraid he'll notice her blush so she turned away to stare at the scenery outside the windowpane. He chuckled and she heard it with her body stiffening.

"it's your first time sitting in the front seat?"

She nodded shyly, still averting his gaze desperately. This makes him nervous as well, but it didn't stop him from being friendly.

"it's my pleasure to be fetching you then," he drove her streets after streets, but what confused her was the fact that she hasn't told him her new address and he didnt ask.

"Ryuu, my address is..." before she could continue, he interrupted her.

"you can tell me later. I'm not bringing you home yet" he said with his eyes fully focused on the road. 

"huh? w-where are we going?" her voice trembled and so he chuckled.

"are you scared of me? afraid I'll kidnap you or do something to you?"

"n-no...I ..." she tried to explain herself in case he thought her reaction was insulting. 

He laughed, "I'm kidding. there's this beach my mum said she first celebrated my dad's birthday in. my birth dad I mean. she said it was one encounter that's really unforgettable albeit painful, though she didn't explicitly tell me how. in any case, she said the beach is really beautiful, but I have never been there before. I wanted to but it's weird to go with my guy friends, and I don't wanna bring random girls there in case they get mistaken..."

"but me? I'm not..."

he interrupted her again, "you're not any random girl for sure. you are willing to go and take a look with me?"

she dazed into his focused expression and thought deeply. fortunately, he wasn't looking at her so she didn't have to hide her nervousness and excitement.

"O-okay..."

He chuckled again hearing her trembling tone. He shrugged it off as he hoped the beauty of the beach would release her tension and exhaustion. that was his intention of bringing her there. he just didn't have the heart to see a lone girl struggling so hard to make ends meet and there's no one there for her. he shoved away the thought about her place in his heart to warrant his concern, cause he just wanted to help her for now, irregardless of who she was. He thought to himself, "any friend would have done it...is that out of sympathy?" he shrugged it off again for later.

there were no cars around when he stopped his car. for once, his patience didn't allow him to park his car properly. it didn't matter anyway cause they were the only ones. 

"we're here, lets go!" he dashed out of his car like an excited kid, while Megu unstrapped herself from the seat and trailed after him. She was mesmerized by the seaview that dazzled under moonlight. she has never been nor seen such a romantic place that made her heart throb in excitement. she touched her heart and felt it beating. she wasn't alone, soon she found herself drawn by Ryuu's exploding happiness. he really has that strong pull that everyone around him right towards him, 
 
"Yatta!! this is really so beautiful! no wonder my dad loves this place! ....." Ryuu shouted, then rolled up his jeans and removed his footwear before dashing nearer to the waters so that his feet are soaked right to his ankle. 

Megu found herself smiling at the sight before her with Ryuu's exhilaration spilling from within. Just when she was daydreaming, she didn't notice Ryuu has crept up beside her and decided to give her a push.

"uwahhhhh Ryuuuuu!" she shrieked when he pulled her towards the waters, then splashed waters at her.

"yamette Ryuu~" she struggled at first, splashing water back at him as revenge. they ran and chased each other, putting aside their gender differences and playing like innocent kids. Megu, finally drained out of her energy, fell on her while in the shallow waters. She bursted out laughing when she realised how clumsy she was and how much she enjoyed it. it has been long she has felt so free like the birds in the infinite, boundless sky. Ryuu's soft chuckles followed close behind hers, then a satisfying smile crept up his face. He stretched out his hand to help her get up on her feet and that simple act of kindness reminded her of her crush for him again. She took his hand shyly, but he didn't release it even after she stabilised her footing. he led her to a comfortable spot where the waters just about touch the tip of their toes and sat down.

"how do you find the place, Megu?" he asked while looking far out into the endless sea.

"the most beautiful place I've seen" she replied and looked at him from his side. deep in her heart, she felt the place can only rank second cause her heart was already captivated by his charm.

"I thought so too. my dad really is darn amazing to have noticed this place."

"your dad is amazing himself too"

"yeah. though I've never met him, I'm already his diehard fan in his already established fanclub....otousan!!!! are you looking at me now? I'm finally here!!!!"

Ryuu heard Megu's soft comforting chuckle like she feels happy for him. it made him recall about her story which he hasn't properly helped address.

"Megu... I know I told you I'm not prepared to love anyone yet, but I also clearly told you I didn't dislike you. in fact, I told you I want to be your friend. I understand that you can't shut out your heart and I know it's gonna hurt at times when you see me, but you don't have to feign in front of me. I know your feelings and although I'm not reciprocating, that doesn't mean I'll act ignorant. this being said, I don't want you to hide from me. it's really not necessary," he faced her this time and the mood turned serious.

"I appreciate your kindness Ryuu. but I really don't think I can do this. I don't want you to sympathize with my situation. I'm doing okay alone."

"you call this okay~ you know it hurts to see you like this...." he cupped her shoulders and said sternly.

"why should you? I don't understand Ryuu..."

"I'm pretty sure it's not sympathy..."

"you don't have to be burdened over the fact that I have a crush on you. after your modelling job, there's like so many more girls crushing on you. I'm just one of the many. if every girl that comes along has a fate like me, then you'll be busy caring for all of us. so Ryuu, just let me be. I have to learn and let go."

"the thing is... I don't want you to let go!" Ryuu turned agitated as he raised his voice. neither himself nor her understood what he said.

"huh?"

"just give me some time, okay..."

"I don't understand...I..."

"nevermind that, just do as I say first. don't disappear from me for now..."

"R-Ryuu~" she was lost for words. there was a long awkward pause which made the chattering of her teeth more audible in the silent night. Ryuu noticed her trembling under her wet clothes so he removed his sweater and tugged her nicely beneath it.

"feeling better?"

She nodded with droplets of tears trapped at the side of her eyes.

"thanks Megu. to be honest, I wouldn't have invited Mariya here. she'll never play with me like you would. she's too demure for this"

"should I take this as an insult?"

"no,a compliment. demure girls are so fragile. it makes me feel uneasy and I find myself having to accommodate them. it gets tiring if i am to have a relationship with any of them, so I was never fond. "

"but you give the impression that you prefer demure, elegant girls"

"you're wrong, or rather everyone's wrong about me then. I would prefer to date a girl who I could be myself. I don't wanna stress myself or her over packaging ourselves. that's why I said you don't have to feel inferior about yourself... that carefree, innocent attitude of yours makes you attractive.I'm sure there're guys out there who'll like you!"

"n-not every guy thinks like you. they'll laugh behind my backs, shun away from me. and it has already happened...this charm you say, didn't attract you either "

Ryuu was dumbfounded at her allegations which he's too lost to determine the validity. he searched his heart but all he has was question marks. He remained silence from now till he drove her back to her new address. he saw how desolated her one room flat was and felt his heart tightened uncomfortably.

"Megu, there's an alumni gathering at my uncle's restaurant in three days time. almost everyone in our batch will be there. I hope you will go..." he said just before she was about to enter her house with his sweater still worn warmly on her body.

"I don't think I should. it'll spoil everyone's appetite."

"nonsense.. I'm sure there are people concerned about you. besides, I'll be there too. I'll look after you. staying isolated from your peers will only cut you out from the world and it's only denying yourself from help."

"b-but..."

"it's up to you entirely. however, I really hope you'll come."

"I'll think about it..." Megu responded with a slight smile, and he returned a smile likewise before  returning to his car. just before he was about to return to his driver seat, Megu called out hesitantly.

"it's late... o-once you reach home, is it okay if you drop me a message? s-so I know you're safe at home?" she stammered. though she knew this was pretty ridiculous to be uttered by someone more vulnerable to threats than he is, she still wanted to be sure. 

Ryuu remained silent for a while and the longer the silence stretched, the more awkward she realised her request was.

"haha, it's okay if it's too burdensome. who am I kidding, you'll be more than fine" she laughed pathetically to herself and paced slowly towards her door, slouching and sighing.

then a soothing voice rang in her ears..."I will send you a text when I'm home. bye!"

her heartbeat was roaring with excitement as she heard his response. when she turned around, his car has drove off but the wide smile on her face still lingered as long as it can get. somewhere in her heart, she still brood over his unexplainable lines "I don't want you to let go....just give me some time" which echoed in her mind repeatedly. 

****
the same lines also bothered Ryuu immensely. though he said those words, he still couldn't comprehend the intentions of his heart.

"oi Niichan! have you been listening?" Akira grumbled from the passenger seat after he picked her up from the shopping mall, while her friends looked in awe at how gorgeous her brother was and how lucky she was to be picked up by a prince in disguise.

" ah what did you say? gomene~" 

"forget it. but what's wrong with you, you look like you lost your soul after your date with okasan? did something happen?"

"no no it's not about okasan. it's..."

"it's about the person you lend your sweater to right?" Akira giggled as she saw her brother's cheeks blush slightly.

"ah, my sweater... er..." he pressed the nape of his neck when he felt the stress of his sister seeing through him like an opened book.

"so it's a girl's problem. finally, after tons of love letters you receive, there's finally that one girl who moved you..."

"I don't know if my feelings for her is love... it's really complicated..."

"sou... you know Niichan, if you need a listening ear, I'm here. I have ample experiences too"

"I know. you are your class beaut ne, Akira!" Ryuu chuckled while fixing his eyes on the road.

Akira let out a laugh too, "you're even more popular than me, Niichan"

when they reached home, they saw their parents sitting by the balcony, with their heads leaning against each other. 

"shh" Ryuu signaled to Akira and they both tiptoed to their rooms. but there was something holding him back.... he heard the mentions of his father. Seeing Akira return to her room, he led himself right outside his parents door and eavesdrop.

"Mirai, do you feel happy with me?" Yuto asked.

"of course I do..." Mirai gave him a sweet smile and cuddled closer into his arms.

"but Ryosuke... you still can't forget him right?"

"Yuto, I probably cannot forget him in this lifetime. but Yuto, you've make life so bearable for me, and you have made me one of the most fortunate lady in the world"

"I promised him I would... if it wasn't for him, I would have never been able to confess, neither would I be able to love you wholeheartedly without any concerns. I could have succumbed to my jealousy, but thanks to him, I overcome it"

"luckily you did. I love Ryosuke, but I accepted he's no longer with me. you're the one I love now. and I'm really thankful you accommodated my every flaw and even tolerated my yearning for Ryosuke. I'm also very thankful you cared for Ryuu like you would if he's your son. I know you were upset when I created Ryuu with Ryosuke... I was stained by the time I went to you, but you still love me like before. i know you have done a lot for me behind my back. you sent messages using Ryosuke's phone whenever i started to miss him and send ridiculous messages to him as if he's still alive. it should have been hurtful when you replied, but you still did it for me anyway. thank you Yuto..I'm gonna tell you, I don't need his phone from now."

"Mirai... thank you for letting Ryosuke go... he should be happy now."

"I'm happy too. toast to many wonderful years ahead!" Mirai and Yuto held up their champagne glasses and savour the alcohol within.

"okasan, otousan...." Ryuu's unannounced entrance startled the couple, and they saw tears b in his eyes.

"Ryuu..."

"congratulations okasan... you graduated from my father's shadow...I'm genuinely happy for you. you finally needn't cry over my father anymore..."

"yes, Ryuu... but why are you crying?" Mirai walked towards her son and brushed the tears from the edge of his eyes. Yuto wrapped his arms over Ryuu and rubbed his shoulders to help him relief his stiffened body. Maybe because of the overwhelmin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter