Chapter 24

ずっと一緒に
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuto sat alone at one of the corner seats of the plane, with his fingers unconsciously running through a deep-seated scar on his collarbone stretched right up to his shoulder blade. This long wound would have most likely taken his life that fateful day, 18 days before April 28th, 17 years ago. Everytime, he would wonder what would change if he hadn't survive that accident. Would it have changed the lives of anyone around him. He rummaged through his suitcase and withdrew an envelope which has been opened several times, and inside was a thick few pages handwritten letter of his best friend.

Dear Yuto,

I'm wondering what is our relationship from this point. I really treasure our friendship, but it would be selfish to still expect you to forgive me after what happened days ago. I am writing to you because I really don't know how to face you, but I do want to apologise to you, to explain to you what exactly happened, to set things right. I hope it's not too late.

Firstly, I want to apologise for still habouring feelings for Mirai. I don't expect her to have it easy and I know she has been sitting outside my ward everyday, crying. But thankfully, you were with her all the while. Thank you for keeping your promise. Exactly for the same reason, I'm sorry I haven't fulfilled my part of the deal. I thought I have moved on, but that night when she sneaked into my ward, when I found her fingers tangled with mine when I woke up, I realised I haven't. Instead, my yearning for her is stronger than ever. If I have remained strong in my perseverance, to resist my heart from wavering, maybe that accident wouldn't have happened. When Mirai came to me that night, I vented all my frustration on her... Actually, I must admit I hated everyone cause I am jealous, I am jealous that everyone gets to dream but not me. I lost my cool that night. I saw the blood running from her forehead when I deliberately pushed her away after yelling at her to get away from me, I regretted. my heart cringed so bad but I can't do anything for her. I most wanted to pull her into my arms, care for her, apologise to her, but I can't. I cannot tolerate her presence anymore, I just wanted to disappear from her eyes, so I ran out. It is a wrong move. When she grabbed my arms, crying for me to accept her with her forehead still bleeding, I totally lost control of myself. I really felt remorse the moment I shook her away so intensely that she flung right onto the road. It wasn't intentional, it was never my intention to hurt her. If it wasn't because you jumped out and pushed her away from the incoming car, I would have killed her. If that happens, I wouldn't be able to live anymore. This sounds like a joke right, cause it's no longer my choice to live. Thank you Yuto... Thank you for saving her with your life.

I saw her crying by your bedside, her hands never parted from yours. She never once left your ward, not even for meals. You slept for long, ne. You should feel a tinkle in your heart by now. It's true, I saw her love for you at that time. I know I confused you when I walked into the ward yesterday when you finally woke up and clutched both yours and her hands. It's meant to be symbolic if you got my intention. If you hadn't understood it, it meant I formally entrust her in your hands. I'm confident that there's no second guy in this world who would sacrifice his own life to save her.

I don't think I am writing to you anymore from now. Not just you, maybe anyone else too. Though this letter was only a few pages, my hands are already not listening to my bidding. Sorry for my atrocious handwriting. While I do not know if the chemotherapy is improving my condition, but it has definintely weakened me significantly. Somehow or rather, I felt my days are numbered.

If it's not too much to ask, please forgive me for hurting you and her. I've enclosed an item in the envelope as you saw. I thought it's best I pass it to you, I doubt I'll be needing it anymore. I am not sure, but somehow I think you will find this useful in the future? Well, it isn't the newest model, but I bought it with my own money sometime when I was still dating Mirai. Haha, there was a point when I wanted to buy a twin model to give Mirai so that I can flaunt that she's my girlfriend, but I never got the chance to. If I do miraculously survive this, if Dr. Jin do find a cure for my cancer, then maybe you could return this to me? maybe then we can properly fix the problem between us. I really wanted a friend like you... I wanna go drinking with you, Yuto.

See you (if there ever is a chance we meet again)

-Y.R

Yuto took up his pen and a piece of pretty paper he bought from a bookstore, and starting drafting out his return letter. 

 

Dear Ryo-chan,

How are you doing now Ryosuke? Definitely better than before right? I am looking at where you are staying... it's so beautiful, I'm jealous. Maybe you got married at your place, have your own kids?hmmm, i really wonder. I'm not good at words, as compared to you... your thoughts are always so profound, even Chinen kept praising your way with words. Ryosuke, if I'm not too late, I want to tell you, I never blamed you. As much as you wanted to befriend me, go drinking with me, I want it too. Frankly, I'm jealous of your close relationship with Chinen though Chinen is my friend first. He is so fond of you, forever talking about you. Umika too. You really have an admirable character that draws everyone to you. I hope your offer is for an unlimited time, Ryosuke. Pardon me, though I am not gonna have the chance to meet you anytime soon, but do wait for me until then... Maybe me, Mirai and you can meet up, not now, but later...

See you (we will definitely meet again)

-N.Y

A drop of tear sealed the opening of the envelope which places the return letter. He stared at the front of the envelope for several minutes, realising he doesn't know the current address of Ryosuke. In the end, he wrote just 5 words...

To my most beloved friend

******

"Okasan! can you slow down?" it was rare that Ryuu felt such throbbing pain in his scar on his kneecap from the fall so long ago. perhaps it's because he has been trying so hard to catch up to his mother after miles of walking on the crowded street. Since Ryuu and Mirai parted from their his father and his sister, they never spoke a word except that Ryuu has been desperately trying to trail behind his mother. he didn't want to tell her that his untold wound is hurting, so he took it all in, until he could bear it no more.

"what is it, Ryuu?" Mirai finally turned to look at her struggling son.

"I'm asking if you could slow down. are you rushing somewhere, okasan?"

"ah... yes, I need to return to the office. maybe I'll take long, so perhaps you go home first. you can settle your own dinner. take care, bye" Mirai uttered casually as if such statements are ingrained in her. her words were colder than ice, sharper than a blade, the way she talks to him is no better than a stranger. His tolerance for his mother has maxed, finally he tipped the status quo. 

"okasan!" he yelled and she turned back once more to face him. She saw for the first time, the stern eyes of her son as though he wants to rip her apart.

"what is it?"

"where are you gonna hang out this time? or maybe these two weeks when otousan is away"

"huh? i told you i've work"

"on a sunday? for goodness sake, okasan, you can come up with a better excuse."

"what are you talking about?"

"let me do the lying this time...you don't have to leave house. I'll leave..."

"huh?"

"is it that hard to understand okasan? you've been doing the same old thing to me for so many years... the same old freaking excuses.. I'm sick and tired of you avoiding me like I'm a pest! I don't understand you, okasan! IF YOU HATE ME THAT MUCH, WHY DID YOU EVEN GIVE BIRTH TO ME!" Ryuu turned his back after flaring in the middle of a crowded street.

"Ryuu!!!" she ran after him with her heels hurting her foot.

"Stop acting, okasan. I don't need you to act motherly now. I get it, okay... It took me 16 years to realise you never wanted me. Don't worry, I won't appear in front of you since you won't want me to. BYE!" He ran with a speed of light, regardless of how fast, how hurtful her foot was, Mirai ran and ran until she could no longer catch up with him.

"Ryuu~ I don't hate you... really! please, listen to me..... RYOSUKE, WHY MUST YOU ALWAYS BE RIGHT?! maybe, maybe like you said, I shouldn't have given birth to Ryuu. Maybe I should have just listened to you.... RYOSUKE, ANSWER ME PLEASE!!!!HAVE I DONE WRONG, YAMADA RYOSUKE!!!!" she shouted over the deep blue sea that appears to be mocking at her rage with its serenity. Her phone rang at the peak of her emotional breakdown, it was the voice of the person she yearned most at this time.

"Mirai~ where are you? wanna come to my house for dinner, you and Ryuu" Daiki's cheerful voice rang from the other end.

"Niichan!!!" she cried.

"goodness, what happened? where are you? why are you crying?"

"Niichan.... Ryuu, Ryuu he left me... he's leaving me...."

"what?! what the hell is happening? tell me where you are...I come find you now!" Daiki urgently demanded.

Daiki immediately sprung out from his apartment and sped on his Toyota to where Mirai was. He was afraid Mirai would do any silly thing, since the sea is readily available in front of her. He absolutely cannot afford to lose his only baby sister. He tightened his jaw and drove at his fastest speed ever. Concurrently, he phoned Ryuu but his phone was shut. 

*****

"MIRAI!" Daiki saw Mirai crouching beside the metal bars facing the sea. He quickly lifted her from the ground and turned her to face him.

"LOOK AT ME, IT'S ME, YOUR NIICHAN! PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER, THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR YOU TO BE DEPRESSED CAUSE I'M NOT A LEAST BIT PITYING YOU...THE ONE WHO I'M FEELING SORRY FOR IS YOUR SON, RYUU!"

"niichan~" Mirai looked at his stern brother, who continued being harsh to her, but instead of crying harder, his scolding actually stopped her sobbing.

"that's better. I want you to listen to me clearly.... You brought this to yourself. You decided to give birth to Ryuu, it's your decision, I don't think I need to remind on this. I want you to recall why you were so determine to have him in the very first place. That reason which you were so sure of that you just absolutely need to have him. The same reason which you used to convince Ryosuke to have the baby. You need to remember this reason. With that, everything will be fixed. It's that easy, cause it's the reas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter