Chapter 15

ずっと一緒に
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"heh Niichan?!" Mirai was surprised to see her brother also in her clique of friends.

"hi Ryosuke!" Daiki ignored Mirai's questioning glare then added, "Chinen invited me... is there a problem?"

The others, including Chinen, Ryosuke, Yuto, Rika, Suzuka and Umika giggled at the sibling rivalry.

"yamette. now all of you are bullying me, heh" Mirai pouted while pulling Ryosuke by her side.

"why not the girls can go have fun together. the guys can go hang out," Chinen suggested, dragging Ryosuke to his side instead, leaving Mirai with a disappointed face.

"I thought I could hang out with him" she murmured but Daiki heard exactly what she would not wanna make known in case it sounded too desperate.

"you can spend time with Ryosuke anytime you want... we are only borrowing him for a while" Daiki teased. She blushed at the embarrassment, avoiding Ryosuke's eyes at all cost.

"see you later" Ryosuke ruffled her hair and before she knew it, he's dragged away by the rest. only Yuto's reaction was delayed by a whole second, dazing at the pouting Mirai.

"aren't you going with them?" Rika sternly tapped his shoulder, distracting him from his stoned eyes.

"ah.. see you all!" Yuto rejoined the guys, roping the petite Chinen by his arms. 

"oh congrats Ryosuke! I'm so happy when I received Mirai's text just now" Chinen cheered. "you don't mind her updating me right? cause I was just wondering if it's too demanding for you to come with us, so I double checked with her"

"of course not, I don't mind" Ryosuke smiled back. 

"what are you guys talking about?" Daiki and Yuto asked in sync, both revealing a confused expression as if they both missed a part of the conversation.

"Ryosuke's treatment is working. he's recovering!" Chinen was nearly jumping with joy when he repeated the details.

"that's so awesome!!!i knew you'll be Alright... didnt I say that!" Daiki cheered as well, but Yuto's congratulatory message was greatly delayed and much toned down than the others, "congrats." 

Yuto hated himself for such hostile reaction. he should be genuinely happy for someone he regard as a friend, but instead he couldn't bring himself to give the same enthusiasm as Chinen or Daiki. if it hasn't been obvious to Chinen and Daiki, Ryosuke saw through it instantly. he knew what is running through Yuto's mind... coupled with Mirai's frantic call at the mortuary earlier, Ryosuke felt his heart cringed a little.

"hehhhh Daiki, isn't that what your mum is looking for?" Chinen dragged Daiki towards a small shop selling artistic designed chopsticks, leaving behind the awkward pair at the peak of their discomfort.

the silence was just adding on to the awkwardness. both felt there were lumps choked in their throat, or cats got their tongues, none of them said anything for at least minutes. finally, Ryosuke pushed himself to make the first move, head on with the most sensitive topic.

"I never expected you to be dating... with someone else" Ryosuke said.

"yea, it's sudden, ne" Yuto attempt to ease the tension with a chuckle. Ryosuke did likewise but added, "I hope you're know what you're doing..."

Yuto knew what he's trying to hint about his feelings for Mirai, still he feigned ignorance.

"Ryosuke, now you have to work extra hard to make sure you're in the pink of health~ you can do it!" Yuto tried to make up for his hostility earlier and gave an encouraging pat on Ryosuke's shoulder. 

"arigatou, Yuto!" Ryosuke chuckled.

on the other hand, Daiki and Chinen took their time to look at the chopsticks, though they're the least interested. Chinen dragged Daiki away so that their 2 awkward buddies can clear up whatever misunderstandings they may have.

 "what's with those two?" Daiki asked. the 2 felt the tension, especially emitting from Yuto when they were talking about Ryosuke's health.

"no idea but I hope it's not what I think they are unhappy about," Chinen immediately thought of one person who could have made a difference in the 2 guys.

"what?" Not belonging in the clique makes it hard for Daiki to have located the source of the awkwardness. but telling Daiki his guess would worry him, so Chinen decided not to say.

"it's nothing, I'm sure they'll work it out. you see, they're laughing around" Daiki and Chinen looked in their direction, indeed Ryosuke and Yuto are chatting casually so whatever troubling them could perhaps have been resolved. they felt relieved that their efforts to excuse themselves worked.

"honestly, I'm glad he has a glimpse of hope. initially, I was really uncertain how the whole relationship will proceed with his condition probably detoriating. you know Mirai, she's always so lost in life, I was so afraid she'll get herself hurt in the process or end up hurting him with her reckless decision" Daiki confessed.

"me too... but Daiki, I'm not sure about you, but I always feel that Ryosuke knows what he's doing. even though we met only twice before, but those little encounters really show how he puts himself after others, especially those he care for. I'm sure whatever he does, he won't harm Mirai... if there's a chance he'll hurt her, he'll minimize the hurt to the least. perhaps we can cushion the rest of the pain" Chinen analysed.

"you're right. I thought of him like you did. he's matured, I thought he'll do my sister more good than harm," Daiki giggled as he behind her back.

this side of the picture was so much more scenic and tranquil than the other side. never did they expect the trouble on the other side to spill over to the guys, creating a ripple of unrest. 

"Mirai~ now that Ryosuke is recovering, this means you will have a perfect boyfriend... I'm beginning to feel really jealous of you, right Umika?" Suzuka exclaimed, jerking her up and down.

"yea exactly. he is so captivating and flawless. did you see his smile just now, it's just like an angel!"Umika joined in the excitement.

"I say he'll never be flawless," Rika said with a smirk on her face, infuriating Mirai immediately.

"what do you mean?!" Mirai yelled in frustration.

"think about it... such an illness may go away for now, but wouldn't it have heredity effect? what about relapse? mmm why would anyone date such a person, even if he is flawless externally," Rika hesitated at no point when she uttered such harsh words.

"yamette! you're really evil you know, Rika! don't think you are Yuto's girlfriend, we don't dare to scold you" Umika and Suzuka moved forward and reprimanded the younger girl.

"relax girls... isn't Mirai agreeing to me? she's not defending, why are you girls so uptight?" Rika let out an evil grin. Mirai was unsure, Rika's words hit her bad. she has been thinking optimistically but she has never considered such implications. Mirai was extremely frustrated with herself... as his girlfriend, she should be defending him, standing by him, but instead she stood there motionless, allowing Rika to slander him. Worst, those who stood up for Ryosuke were her friends, not herself.

"Mirai!! give some reaction, this girl's mouth is damn foul!" Suzuka shouted, still Mirai hesitated as if cat caught her tongue.

"RIKA!" Yuto suddenly came from behind and gave Rika a tight slap. everyone gasped at the scene.

"itaiii!!! Yuto!" Rika held on to her tears and stared back with a wrongful eyes.

"and you know what pain means! don't you know what you said is hurtful!!!!"

"I'm just stating a fact... y-you" she cried. unexpectedly, Ryosuke was the only one who came to her defense. ironically, he's the one she slandered, making her guilt-stricken. the words were meant to upset Mirai, not Ryosuke. Those hurtful words weren't intended for Ryosuke to hear, it was only for Rika to convince herself and Mirai that Yuto is a much better choice than Ryosuke. 

Before Yuto dropped another slap, Ryosuke pushed her behind his back. "forget it, Yuto. it's the truth anyway. relapse, heredity, they stay with me for life. anyway, thank you Rika... it took me so long to get this in Mirai's brain, and you could bring the message across so easily. so I really need to thank you" he gave a 90 degree bow to Rika.

"R-Ryosuke senpai..." she felt a lump in . she felt sorry for what she did but she was too embarrassed to say anything to him.

"it's okay" he smiled back to her and everyone else.

"R-Ryosuke" Mirai said his name to get his attention. She felt just as apologetic for not standing up for him, and wanted to say sorry but he never looked at her. rather, he stopped looking at her with those tender-loving eyes.

"Minna, i forgot to say... i am staying with my family already. I think i should just get going, in case they are worried. I'm such a worrisome kid after all... so bye..." he chuckled, worrying Chinen and the rest. 

"R-Ryosukee!!!" Mirai ran after him immediately, clutching his hands tightly.

He didn't push her away, neither did he reciprocate. he stood stationary on the spot, not even turning the slightest to look at her.

"Ryosuke, Gomenasai... I... I didnt know how to respond to her... I was startled..." she cried.

"it's not because you don't know how to respond to her. it's because you realised that's the truth about me which you have completely overlooked before," Ryosuke said coldly, still without turning to look at her.

"no.. no it's not like this... trust me"

"you cant even lie to yourself, so you don't have to try convincing me otherwise," he finally turned to face Mirai whose eyes are filled with tears of remorse and self-blame.

"Gomenasai... Ryosuke... I didnt mean to... I didnt mean to hesitate. I should have said something, but..." she gripped his sleeves tightly, afraid that he'll just leave her sight.

"but you didn't. you know, it's not what she said that hurts me, it's your reaction, or should I say your unreactivity that breaks my heart. I don't need you to turn black to white, cause a fact is still a fact, but at least feign that you will stand by me regardless. but you couldn't even do that,"

"Gomenasai~really.. please forgive me" her heart and mind were both shattering to a point she lost all energy in her limbs. she was hoping Ryosuke would hold on to her, but instead, she was the one holding him with her life. she never expected to face the same Ryosuke she saw when he confronted Haruna the other time, she never expected that she will hurt him so deep. 

Ryosuke tried his best not to break, but yet, a drop of tear still rolled from his teary eyes "you're just like Haruna...yes, I'm pathetic, but I never demanded your love. if you think I'm such a shame, then don't come to me! simple as that!" Ryosuke coldly pushed her hands away and ran with all his might towards the other end. no matter how fast Mirai ran, she couldn't catch up with him. the gap between them only widened until she finally lost to her own exhaustion and fell. 

"don't worry, I'll go after him" Chinen dashed past Mirai and ran after Ryosuke, while Daiki and Umika stayed behind. 

" what should I do? I h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter