Chapter 3

ずっと一緒に
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was literally happy to get out of my house today after what seemed like constant nagging and teasing from every member of my house about my overnight stay at the hospice. worst was Daiki whom I got my revenge as I bite him real hard on his shoulder before I left house. 

"itaiiiiiiiii! oi! don't run! you pesky little arghhhhhhh....." I giggled as i recalled Daiki's frustrated expression while he rubbed his bare shoulders to ease the pain.

"what's so funny?" it was Yuto who chased up from behind. dressed in a white top, with half-rolled sleeves and a pair of denim jeans, he was undeniably charming today, especially with the wind brushing against his hair. it was a personally bias as I always favored guys in white, it brings out the prince imagery. I saw the school girls on the opposite side fangirling over him, and amusingly got me a little proud that he is my friend. 

"ohayou Yuto!" I greeted him cheerfully and he did the same in return.

"so what's got our Mirai so happy today?" he asked as we took a slow walk up to the hospice

"I've got my revenge on my brother, that's what worth celebrating today" he chuckled along with me and added, "he must have given you a hard time"

"you bet he did."  the rest of the journey was spend on light-hearted chatting, time past so fast that we didnt realise that we've reached the entrance of the hospice.

though the experience was less dreadful than the initial impression of it, because of the accompany of not only Yuto but also the ever-lovely Ryosuke, I still find myself sighing as I stepped in. this place has build up so much negative energies within sometimes it leaves one breathless. well, it does make the effort to portray a more endurable and livable atmosphere conducive for aftercare but deep down, you could still feel everyones' deliberate efforts to mask the sorrows. luckily, Yuto's sunshine and positivity keep me going, or I'll definitely suffer from depression, especially today's incident.

I was taken aback when I saw the crew of doctors and nurses including Dr Jin and Nanase-san running straight into the room housing Nobuo Tanaka. intuitively, I followed behind, though a fearful feeling creeps up my veins as I thought of the possibility that Nobuo is the one having issues. although we haven't met before, still there exist an affinity that I couldn't not think about. as I peeked in, I heaved a relief as I found that it was the patient beside his bed, while his was still empty. however, when I saw the doctor shaking his head and the nurse pulling the white cloth over the patient, an overwhelming feeling filled me and left me gasping got breathe while tears welled up in my eyes.

"Nooo!!!! Nooooooooo!" I was startled by a pair of hands grabbed me from beside and when I turned, I saw the devastated mother, crying over the death of her child. "why can't you guys save her! she's so young! she's only 16!!! 16! she hasn't even seen the world yet! whyyyy give up on her?!!! why?!!!!! murderer!!!!!" she vented her anger and frustration at me, though I knew it was just that, I was badly shaken by her intimidation. I was lost for words, and my voice is muffled by my overflowing tears.

"I'm sorry... I... don't know how to bring her back.... please, stay strong..." I heartlessly shake her hands off and ran with all my might up to the roof, ignoring those many stares around me. I needed the fresh air, away from all this solemn air. "Ahhhhh!!!!i hate this place, i need my fun and carefree life! I should be at Hokkaido having a hell of my time, not here!" I shouted at the top of my lungs but it got drowned by the openness. i leaned against the wall just before the end of the roof and sat with my knees tugged near my chest, and my head buried between my knees. the gravity empties my tears, leaving my face drenched. the face of the traumatized lady and the last moments of the child haunts me as I shut my eyes. it was really hard to forget the scene. 

i didnt notice someone approach, until from the corner of my eyes, I saw a pair of feet stopping beside me, facing the bright blue sky. the sun shines brightly against the figure that I couldn't see properly. I shaded my eyes with my hands and only then I could see the person I least want to see in the dreadful stead. 

"it's so embarrassing to have you see me like this~go away" I hid my face which is smudged with my tears, from Ryosuke who looked intensely at me. he ushered me to lift up my head from between my knees and I rushed to wipe my tears.

"you saw what happened right?! that lady, she so desperately begged for her daughter's life and all I could do was to watch the scene."

he didnt do anything but just watched me continue what I wanted to say. he looked so earnestly listening to my every word, with a slight frown.

"the girl is still so young! she has so much more in this world she hasn't seen! life is unfairn! why take away such a young life." I broke down even more as I spoke. 

"shhh... I say you should be happy for her instead" he ran his fingers on my face and wiped my fallen tears with them, then pull me in for a comforting embrace. my body stiffened and I found myself frantically looking for a spot to rest my hands awkwardly dangling on both sides. I could feel his hands patting on my back softly, and instantly felt the pain in my heart dissipated. once I regained my sanity,  i pulled back slightly, cleared my throat and asked, "why do you say so?"

"before I answer you, there's something I need to show you first. care to come with me?"

"where to? but Nanase-san?"

"don't worry. she'll allow us. I'll tell her. you just have to follow me."

I hesitated, not because I was distrustful of him, but because I was too nervous by the abrupt offer. unanswered questions of where he's bringing me, what we're going to do, leave me in a fix, hoping for some enlightenment. my heart couldn't calm down at all, throughout the journey in the taxi. it was spent in silence, so silence that I was afraid he would hear the racing of my heart. then I would occasionally fiddle with my phone, randomly texting Yuto, or rummaging through my text messages to appear busy. 

I could feel him staring at me with amusement at times, and I would stop and smile at him, and would resume my activities thereafter. never have I felt so unsettled... not with Yuto, Chinen... maybe, sometimes when I come into close proximity with heart throbs like Jesse or Yuma senpai. 

but when the taxi finally stopped, my jaw almost dropped at the beautiful scenery in front of me. I exited the taxi and ran towards the edge of the hill before him.

"Woahhhhh! Ryosuke, this is extremely beautiful!!!" he came beside me and grabbed my hands.

"you know what, the real beauty can only be seen when you're off ground! come~" after pulling me to a equipment booth, which I completely did not notice earlier, a few strong men overwhelmed us with harnesses and protective gears.  

"sky diving?!!!!" I finally noticed when I saw the wings of the flying gear. I was taken aback and was alittle afraid since it's at a high altitude, although I don't have a phobia of heights.

"Ehhh Ryosuke!!!!! " I was shrieking when the man strapped together with me, did a final check on the flying gear attached on us and ran towards the edge of the hill.

"enjoy!!! don't close your eyes!and I'll be close behind!!!" he shouted in reply, and from the corner of my eyes before I took off, I could see his trainer and him preparing for takeoff as well. 

"wahhhhhhh it's beautiful!!!!! Ryosuke, look!!!!" I wanted to share my excitement so badly. he's right, upon liftoff, the view of the scenery became so different. it was like I became part of the painting. the fresh breeze, free of pollution, brushes past my face. I saw his flight passing me several times, though I couldn't catch his face, i was almost sure that he felt like a free bird, just like me.

at one point, it suddenly hits me as to why he brought me here... the intention was clear, and the message was strong. I couldn't wait for his appraisal for a spot-on guess.

****
Ryosuke and I sat on the grass patch near the edge, waiting for the sunset... it was less awkward than before, because right now, the 2 of us was feeling mentally exhausted after the adrenaline rush from the sporting activity.

"I understand why you brought me here... the little girl, she must be feeling happy now,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter