Chapter 11

ずっと一緒に
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My heart was extremely heavy after the little meeting I had that night with Yuto. I laid on my bed and the words he spoke, the expression he gave all surfaced in my mind as if on replay. Yuto was acting weird, but why did it matter to me so much. why can't I get him out of my mind.

"Mirai~" Yuto's voice sounded coarse on the other end of the phone when I picked up.

"Yuto, what's up? er... if you are asking how I'm doing, I'm fine. and sorry to get you worried"

"Can I meet you?" his words was direct, and it was almost authoritative. yet there were some sadness I could sense from his tone.

"sure. the usual place?" I was implying the neighborhood cafe where our clique always met, but I was shocked that he proposed another.

"no, the park near your house. I'm there now," 


i dashed out of my house cause i knew something's wrong with Yuto and he needed me. i was affitmative. the park at my house was entirely out of his way, but yet what he said over the phone clearly implied that he had waited there for me, even before he asked. the anxiety was growing in me, and I wished I could just teleport there to attend to him.

I was more than right. when I spotted him on a secluded bench, I realised how particularly lonely he looked from the back. nevertheless, me as usual, I found his backview attractive, especially with the lamppost casting a dim light against him, it was almost flaunting his bodily appeal.

"Yuto! Daijoubu?" I quickly rushed up and asked. It was like as if he's in a trance cause he didnt shift his gaze away from me for almost a whole minute. it became intimidating, but when I tried retreating, he ushered me to sit beside him.

the seat was cramp for two, so I did feel slightly uncomfortable, but this feeling of discomfort was new cause it was never associated  with Yuto. he always made the mood around me extremely cheerful and lively, but tonight, it was gloomy and dark. 

"have you really made up your mind?"

it took me a while to comprehend his question that's clearly ridden from it's context.

"you mean... with Ryosuke?" I clarified. immediately he turned and faced me with his eyes figuratively burning with fury and exploding with questions 

"you're really incomprehensible, Mirai! I don't get it, why must you put yourself through something that would hurt yourself. lets talk about reality... Ryosuke, he's sick, very sick, and no one knows, not even the doctor knows, if he's going to recover. You know that, everyone accepts that, that's why all of us were so upset over his condition. so why? why are you living in denial by throwing yourself over him?"

"can you calm down, Yuto~ why are you acting so childishly. I thought you'll support my decision. I don't think he's devoid of chances to live. it's not the end, so why must we all treat him like there's no more hope?! and hurt or no hurt, I know it's going to be difficult, but this decision I made is not reckless! I thought over it, my brother supported me too. I may not have been serious about other things, taking life for granted, but he taught me alot, and this month of interactions with him, I found myself intoxicated by his presence! he's almost like my air!"

"Mirai! that's just sympathy!!!"

"No that's not!!!! I know what's sympathy, but it's not that! I love him!"

"you're hopeless!!!"

"yea, what's your problem then?! whether or not I chose him, it's clearly not your business!!!! you don't have to be so uptight over it!"

"not my business?! why are you so blind! why can't you see, I've been..... I've been...." he was holding back, he was stuttering, he was up on his feet in anger and tears, and I really wasn't sure his rationale and his points anymore. his reaction is too exaggerated; it was the strongest objection I've faced since my decision. even my parents didnt seem to have that strong a reaction. I looked at him in confusion and anticipation, but he never completed his sentence.

"forget it! you're right, it's none of my business. it's your life anyway..." he lowered his head and avoided my eyes. his reply left me on a cliffhanger, as I was sure he wanted to say something important. I opened my mouth, hoping to probe further, but his action was faster.

"I'll get going first. see you in school the day after tomorrow!" he dashed off right away, seemingly escaping from the lingering awkwardness in the air. no matter how loud I called him from behind, he didn't stop or turn...

this was an extreme side of Yuto that I've not encountered, though I've seen once or twice in school when he flares up at his irresponsible club mates or project mates. 

*****
It wasn't school resuming that bore me down this time, it was something else that make me resist going back to school. I dragged my feet down the same old route to school, thinking back several days before, about the reaction I'll get from my friends. they've ignored my messages yesterday, and on top of that, I haven't heard from Yuto. And I had to keep all of these from Ryosuke, trying to sound all happy, but I can't entirely ignore my friends who remain so uptight about my new relationship. here I am trying to be optimistic about Ryosuke's condition, there they are making it difficult for me. 

I avoided the usual gathering in the canteen and went straight to class. the class was empty and I slumped right into my seat. Burying my head on my desk, I ignored all things around me, temporarily shutting myself from the endless worries. 

"Mirai! so you're here. we wondered where you are? we're waiting for you at the canteen" Umika and Suzuka tackled me from behind, making me jump from my seat. Chinen sat in the seat in front of me, turning his chair around to face me.

"Minna~ I thought ... I thought it's better I don't go and spoil all your appetites"

"what are you talking about?!" Suzuka asked.

"I thought you guys are angry with me~" I gave a look of remorse, yet I invited a burst of laughter from the rest.

"we're not angry with you, Mirai. we did initially, not angry but worried. but then Umika reminded us that you have never been so persistent and determined over something, and that's when we realised you are really serious about it. as friends, what else can we do but support you" Chinen pinched my cheeks as soon as he's done.

"Itaiiiiiii! Chinen!" he released me and continued laughing, but thankfully to my friends, my mood is eventually uplifted.

"don't bully yamada-kun, ne, Mirai!" Suzuka said.

"we won't stick by you if you bully the hottie!" Umika added.

"stop it minna! ah, did y'all see Yuto?"

"he's definitely busy with his new girlfriend ne~" Umika's answer did make my mood a little bit heavy, though I don't know why. I was too stunned to reply, luckily the rest filled up my pauses.

"you guys are so coincidental. dating at the same time... and I thought Yuto actually liked~..." Umika was interrupted by Chinen who quickly cupped .

"heh?" I looked at them in confusion.

"ahh nothing. Umika, you said you needed help in the new math chapter right? since there's time, I'll teach you first," Chinen hurried her away. I was tickled by the tint of pink on her face when Chinen held her hands and led her away. 

"what's wrong with them~" I laughed, with Suzuka returning to her seat. just at precisely the same moment, I saw Yuto by the door. A girl of about the same height as him tiptoed and gave him a peck on his lips. my heart cringed a little, but as soon as I caught him shifting his glance towards my direction, I turned away immediately. That didnt stop him from coming closer though. Rather, he came sitting beside me.

Telepathically, we both opened our mouth, both rushing to be first to apologise, yet it was Yuto who won.

"Mirai... about that night, Gomenasai. you're right, I shouldn't interfere in your life. I'm over-reacting. can we still be friends?"

"no."

"heh?!"

His frowning face was downright epic. i initially intended to play a little longer, but the despair over him was unbearably funny that I had to end it sooner.

"not friends, but best friends!" and it was a whole lot off my shoulder. Smiles and rainbows raised about our heads. 

"and Yuto, congratulations with your new relationship" there was an under-tone of reluctance of having to share my best friend, still I gave the best congratulatory smile I've got.

"thanks" it was soft and quick, but  that was what I heard him say before he lowered his head immediately.
****
"mmmm I was craving their hot chocolate since the start of summer holiday!" Umika was immersed in her foaming cup of drink, partly as an excuse to avoid the intimidating gaze of Chinen's.

"why are you staring at me like that, Chinen~" she asked curiously.

Instead of responding, Chinen leaned forward with his arms stretched out. 

"Chinen~ why are you acting this way?" Umika asked shyly as she shut her eyes for she imagined the intimacy coming her way. She felt a soft touch on her curved lips, but it's not warm enough to be what she imagined. when she opened her eyes, she saw Chinen, seductively running his fingers along the outline of her lips. Her heart raced in embarrassment with her initial imagination, hopelessly thinking that he was smooching her. 

"the foams is all over your mouth, silly "Chinen giggled as he spoke, and Umika didn't even dare raise her head because she knew her face is too red to be seen.

"Shall we go back? Class is starting," Chinen ushered the obedient girl down the walkway towards their classroom. However, his feet stopped abruptly.

"What's wrong, Chinen?" Umika turned to Chinen who was lagging behind.

"Isn't that.... omg Yamada Ryosuke?" he sped up and tap the sneaky boy who his behind the doors of his classroom, peeping at the class like a stalker.

Ryosuke was too stunned to reply, given he was caught red handed for intruding into school grounds. Umika was also too state-shocked when confronted with such a close view of one of her crushes during her freshmen year. 

"R-Ryosuke?"

"Shhhhh..." though he wasnt sure if he knew them, he quickly pulled them aside knowing the severity of getting caught by a staff.

Once at the corridor, he let loose the questions that bombarded his mind.

"how did you know me? am I supposed to know you too?" Ryosuke couldn't recall, but somehow he vaguely remembere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter