Chapter 27

ずっと一緒に
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It seemed like Mirai was embroiled in an endless interrogation with torture tools laid out in front of her. Facing her was the deadly stare of Misaki and Ryosuke's parents. Slightly relieving was that she's not alone in this intimidating circumstances, Ryuu was sitting right beside her, though she could see that he is equally tense from his stiffened body, occasionally scratching the nape of his neck as if unsure how to respond.

"how do you even take care of niichan's child. You only land him in accidents after accidents. Look at his injuries this time! It's really poor thing!" Misaki probed with a fierce, questioning tone.

"I'm sorry. I should have been more careful" Mirai lowered her head, ashame to face Ryosuke's family after what happened to Ryuu. She knew that whatever excuses she gave would not appease their anger. Ryuu is the family's only descendant who takes after the Yamada lineage after all, hence he is almost like the apple of their eyes..

"Sohubo, obasan, it's my fault, not okasan's... I disobeyed her and endangered myself to protect my friend. It's really nothing that okasan would have prevented. So if it's anyone you guys have to blame, it's mine. I couldn't leave my friend in the lurge" Ryuu defended his mother immediately.

"Ryuu~" she was touched by her son speaking up for her.

"even if it's so, I think Mirai has failed as a mother. She couldn't even properly care for your emotional well-being. We saw you so depressed time after time, always having dinner at your ojisan's place...when has she done her part as a mother? if you don't want to bring up Ryuu, we could have taken over?! you don't have to burden yourself with Ryosuke's child!"

Mirai felt a tight cringe in her heart as soon as Misaki uttered such hurtful words that made her feel distant with Ryosuke and made her realise how she has let him down. She was speechless, but her son was quick to react.

"please, don't say this about okasan. She has been really good to me. Don't misunderstand her. I don't think okasan deserve hearing all your accusations. I know mother loves me, and that is enough. It's between the two of us, and it's not something you guys should probe into. I apologise for being rude, but I'm her son, I won't allow anyone to speak ill of her" tears welled up in her eyes as she saw herself being protected by her son even though she felt guilty of what Misaki alleged. Before she could say anything, Ryuu sprung up from his seat, pulling her by her hand and head strongly towards the exit.

"Ryuu~ we didn't mean to say such undermining words to your mother. we're just concern about you" his grandparents stood up and tried to hold him back. Misaki was reluctant but still tried to accommodate Ryuu where she has channeled her love and yearning for her dearest brother to. On the hind side, Misaki has never quite gotten over the fact that Mirai was the one who asked for the life support to be shut off. She bore a grudge that she was the one who terminated her brother's life. 

"gomenasai for being so rude, but okasan is really the best mother I ever wished for. So I really hope you could love her like otousan and I do." Ryuu remained a firm grip of his mother's hand, then led her out without any more words.

Mirai was already shedding tons of tears, making Ryuu flustered as soon as he noticed.

"Ryuu, I didn't treat you well... they were right"

Ryuu cupped his mother's shoulder and firmly restate his position in a soft tone.

"okasan, I have my bad too. I never tried understanding you. /sigh/ okasan, let me make a personal promise to you. it may sound a little cheesy but I'll look after you like a man from now, just like how my otousan would have if he's still alive. I don't care if people are gonna think I have a oedipal complex, cause frankly I am just gonna wholeheartedly live my one and only mother!"

Mirai was touched beyond words, all she thought of doing at this point is to pull him into her embrace and tug him nicely in her arms like a teddy bear. She whispered in his ears, "arigatou my son... I also promise you I won't cry easily from now"

Ryuu pulled back slightly and helped brush the fallen tears from her drenched face, then returned a bright smile that's both consoling and cheerful.

"Ryuu, I think we should go back and apologise to them. it's unruly of us to leave like this."

"I did already, didn't I. it's fine okasan... let's go. we have more places to go!" Ryuu dragged Mirai further from the house and took a cab.

"where are we going?" Mirai asked with a confused expression. she felt that Ryuu is up to something by the mischievous look on his face. everytime she gave a questioning glance, he returned a cheeky smile that leaves her no choice but to let him lead the way. She almost fell asleep when Ryuu excitedly grabbed her out of the cab.

"heh?!!! Disneyland?!!" her jaw almost dropped when she realised where she was. not only so, she saw her brother right in front of her.

"Niichan??!" 

"close your mouth, Baka! it's unsightly. anyway, Ryuu called me to meet him here"

"what are you up to Ryuu?" Mirai asked. He enthusiastically pulled his mother and uncle under his arms and gave them both another cheerful smile. "it's a family outing!!! lets go play!!!" Ryuu pushed them forward while the two tried to reconcile their thoughts, then finally laughing at the boy's silliness, yet at the same time felt a sense of fuzziness through their veins.

Roller coasters after roller coasters, rides after rides, not forgetting the long queues in between. But thankfully to the long waiting time per ride, the trio spent a quality bonding session through casual sharing and light-hearted conversations, one of which made him particularly nervous.

"say, Ryuu, the girl you saved back there, her name is Megu right?" Mirai leaned on her son's shoulder after feeling slightly exhausted from the wait, while starting to probe about his life. Daiki leaned in as soon as he smell scandals.

"hai, Menami Megu. she lives only with her grandmother, that's why she didn't dare to alert the teachers when she got stalked by the yakuza, in order not to alarm the old lady"

"ah I see, you know a lot about her ne. she must also be important to you to risk your life for her" Daiki teased the moment he grasped Mirai's direction.

"nandayo ojisan, she's a good friend of mine" he shrugged away from their elbowing.

"I see. but I don't think she saw you only as a good friend. woman's gut feeling is quite accurate" Mirai continued to tease.

"yamette okasan..." he blushed and that itself was an indication to the two interrogators that they are on the right track.

"oh my gosh so she does like you?! did she confess? when?!" Mirai is so excited that she started shaking his arms back and forth.

"she er... kinda confessed when we were in that mess. when I probe again that night, she reluctantly admitted."

"that's so adorable! then what did you say?" Daiki and Mirai asked in unison.

"I kinda rejected her..."

"WHAT?!!!" Mirai exclaimed and gave him a irritated stare.

"I don't really feel like going in a relationship now, okasan. it's not like I don't like her, more like I'm not interested in a relationship yet"

"why do guys like such responses to a girl's confession. you know she has to muster alot of courage before she's able to break it out to you. seriously guys are heartbreakers" Mirai ranted as though she was part of the situation. Ryuu was stunned at his mother's response and pouted.

"well, your son is really quite a hottie in school... just like both his fathers ne. so perhaps he should think over properly who he should date" Daiki said, then threw a high five to his nephew, causing Mirai to return a deadly stare at the evil uncle. Daiki retreated with a chuckle to avoid angering his sister more.

"can't I love my mother for now? I want to give 100 percent of my love to my dearest okasan for now" Ryuu wriggled his way into his mother's arm and cuddle beside her.

"seriously, Ryuu? you really sound like you are having oedipal complex" Daiki exclaimed

"no no, I don't have an oedipal complex, I just love my mother!" Ryuu cheekily announced.

"you plagarised! you got the same line from Risou No Musuko, Suzuki Daichi. come out with something more original next time" Mirai giggled.

"yes, ma'am!"

Daiki found himself enjoying the mother-son moments between Mirai and Ryuu and found it really heartwarming. Without their notice, he silently expressed his heartfelt gratitude to the one in heaven who made all of this possible.

"anyway, if you ever decide to accept any girl or date any girl, let me know first, alright?" Mirai finally made known of her rightful possession of her son.

"ah... so your mother would want to approve the girl first. tough life you have, Ryuu" Daiki teased, leaving Ryuu in a deep laughter and further stares from Mirai.

"I know I know, okasan. I will let you know. though you'll be rather exhausted by the end though, cause I am quite popular among the girls" Ryuu gave a smirk.

"you two are seriously getting on my nerves..." Mirai caught in between laughters and irritation, but eventually gave in to the former. 

******
The day ended in utmost fulfillment and delight, though the trio were dead exhausted and could crash on their beds at any moment. Since it is inconvenient to drive up the narrow lane leading to Mirai's house, Daiki park his car on the side and took them for a short walk back instead.

Having fallen asleep, Daiki didn't want to wake Mirai up, so he piggy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter