Chapter 32

ずっと一緒に
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ryuu POV

is there something wrong with Megu? she was so listless since we gathered for Hakone with the crew from my agency. There were a bus full of coordinators, cameramen, lighting specialists, personal assistants and the models. Megu, Mariya and I were last to enter the bus. I was determined to make use of the bus journey there to ask her what's in her mind. all morning, I tried to find alone time with her but Mariya has been clinging to me, and worst, I was told to lead her for this photo shoot since she's new. I had no reason to shove her aside, and it'll be too nasty to do so for a rookie. However, ever since that date with Mariya, where we kissed, I have felt that immense guilt growing in me. although I came clean with Mariya about my current relationship with Megu and that I have no interest in herself at all, she understood but I don't see her understanding magnified in her subsequent actions. She became even more clingy than before. Well, perhaps situations really didn't allow her to distant from me, and there isn't a need to as long we understood each other's position. I preferred to see it this way. 

Just when the opportunity came the moment we were about to board the bus, I rush right behind Megu so that I can grab the seat beside her, but things just have to be ruined at the last second.

"Megu!" a female voice rambled the ground from behind. A strong woman came dashing furiously towards us with her angered face fully focused at Megu. I naturally grew wary on her behalf and probed myself closer to her, all prepared to protect her.

"y-yes, Miura-san"

"didn't I tell you to bring along Mariya-san's stuff as well! are you even listening to me when I was briefing the assistants?!"

"Gomenasai... I will go get it now..." her head was fully lowered in apologia and seemed to be too embarrassed to face anyone as well. 

on the contrary, Mariya seemed to be looking over her which itself was heartening... "Miura-san, please forgive her. she didn't mean it. thank you Megu-chan. i can do it myself actually..."

"ah, Mariya-san.. this is the work of assistants so please don't worry too much" Miura gave her a very warming smile, utterly different from the hostility when she faced Megu. I was upset by the differential treatment as well as the task assignment which I was unaware.

"Chotto matte. since when is my personal assistant assigned to work for Mariya as well? no one told me about this..." I demanded for an answer with sternness in my tone.

"it was a last minute arrangements... we thought since Megu knows both of you, then it'll be okay if she assists Mariya as well..."

"b-but shouldn't this at least go through me first..." I grew frustrated and Miura was taken aback obviously since I never raised my voice at her before.

"it's okay... I'll go get it done~" Megu interrupted, breaking off my anger, then hurried off to get her work done diligently. that was not what I envisioned for sure... I wanted an easy time for her, hence I introduced her to work under me, but turned out, I led her to more daunting tasks and undermining work which even I found it hard to swallow.

thanks to this untimely interruption, I find myself sitting beside Mariya in the bus. I sat by the window seat while she took the aisle, so when Megu returned with both hands full with clothes and accessories, I had no way to step out from my seat to accompany her. instead I could only helplessly watch her sitting alone in the back most seat. I looked at her from time to time, and I could feel this intense loneliness expiring from her. it was to an extent that she could go unnoticed and forgotten if she isn't careful with making her presence felt. I finally realised why Megu seldom smiles and always look so timid even when she's with me. she perhaps has become used to this loner identity of hers that even she herself is beginning to accept the social alienation and become a social recluse.

I felt my heart crying for her, but in such instances, I hope she could stand by herself and touch others with the same sincerity and innocence which have certainly attracted me. 

at the final hour of the bus journey, I realised the whole bus asleep except her. her eyes was forced open though I could feel her exhaustion. at first I wondered why don't she sleep like everyone else, then I learnt from her expression the heartbreaking reason... she was afraid if she fell asleep, everyone will leave without her...

"but there's me... I told you there's at least one person in this world who will think of you, and I'm right here" I mumbled to myself with my eyes searching for hers but never met. instead, Mariya's head has toppled over to my side and leaned on my shoulders. I didn't have the heart to push her head away and avoid all skinships despite my reluctance, cause she's still a friend and this is what all gentleman would do. 

The bus arrived and we alighted. I briefly met eyes with Megu when it's our turn to get down but she quickly shifted her gaze away. frankly, I was both perplexed and disappointed by her reaction. why is she treating like as if I wasn't there. it was almost like she's avoiding me. am I that frightening?

I saw her struggling with the bags of clothes that were to be worn by Mariya and I, and was really upset that there weren't anyone there to lend her a hand. Her hands were full, desperately trying to push a heavy door open with only her small, fragile body. I crept up to her without her knowledge and surprised her with my hands to retrieve the items on her hands.

"Ryuu~" she looked at me with shock and slight timidness. the latter expression was almost always present. I do hope she can be less tense when she's around me.

"I can do it actually..." she tried to grab the items back but I refused to let it go. I ignored her and subsequently opened to door for her with the loads on my hand.

I heard murmurs from upfront and the content were worst than mere gossips. the two of us were peeled to their conversations, but not both of us made it out.

"It's so unfair... she's an assistant and we're assistants as well, why does she get all help from the model. she is such a fake."

"exactly.... just act faint in front of Ryuu-kun and take advantage of his kind-heart."

"oh you know what, she kept looking at Ryuu too. doesn't she know he already has a girlfriend."

"oh please, that Nishiguchi Mariya is ten times prettier than she is. as if she stands a chance..."

I saw Megu shrank as though she is withdrawing into her imaginary shell she has set for herself. on the contrary, I felt enraged. I know the few assistants didn't take notice of our presence in their gossip circle, but that isn't a reason why I should remain invisible. 

"R-Ryuu?" Megu panicked when I took her hands and stormed towards the assistants. I could sense her resisting but I remained a firm grip of her hands.

"oh my gosh... Ryuu-kun!....M-Megu?" the assistants nearly have their jaw-dropped when they noticed our unannounced entrance. Moreover, they saw my hands holding on to Megu firmly and could draw some sort of a conclusion before I spoke. they took a few steps back but I gave them no chance for retreats. 

"I don't think I need a reason to help my girlfriend... do I?" I gripped Megu's hands harder and forced the other girls against the wall with my intimidating stare.

"g-girlfriend? we thought Mariya is..." 

"no! and next time, watch before you gossip behind people's backs. wash your filthy mouth as well!" 

I stormed off without giving them a chance to respond, turning a dead ear to their apologies. With Megu still in my firm hand, I led her to where the dressing room where the load she be left.

"arigatou" she replied with a relatively down tone. I lifted her chin and searched for her eyes.

"hey... you don't have to mind what they said. but I'll correct the misunderstandings. and I'm displeased about having them assign you Mariya's work, so leave that to me too"

"no, it's okay. I'm receiving a salary too, so I'll do it"

"what do you mean it's okay.. you are struggling with the load already..."

"I said I'm okay!" she raised her tone at me, and for some reason, it reminded me of our quarrels in the female toilet at school during valentines. I got peeved by her unreasonable flaring, but I did regret raising my voice later.

"what's the matter with you! you are so angsty today! if there's anything wrong, you can just tell me. I don't feel like you're treating any different than a regular guy on the street. I'm no stranger you know."

"b-but you and Mariya...that day..." before I managed to hear her out, a voice hollered down the corridor..."Ryuu, boss is looking for you now"

"hai! I'll be coming right now" I hollered back.

"we'll talk later..." I have her a soft pat and a peck on her cheeks as  peacemaking then rushed off. I don't know what she is thinking but it's only for me to know later when we have a private time.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter