Goodbye, Hello

Faint Limelight

July, 2014

Since they had work, Suho and Seohyun weren’t able to come to the first day of Sunny’s wedding. Still dressed in their formal education clothes, they surprised their close friends when they entered the venue for the rehearsal dinner hand in hand. After they greeted all the familiar faces, Krystal quickly grabbed Seohyun the girls started to ask her about the details.

“You never told us!” Krystal said.

“It has only been days since we went steady. Joonmyeon didn’t want to let you guys know because he was afraid that you’ll get over excited and attack us back in the city.” She laughed.

“Did he court you? How did he have the guts to tell you his feelings?” Sulli asked this time.

“He didn’t. We started off as friends, and we found ourselves kissing one night.” She said truthfully, making the girls squeal. Suho noticed what his friends are doing and gave them a glare.

“Have you slept with him?” Jessica asked, earning nudges from her seatmates.

“No. We decided to take things slowly. We never go beyond kissing.” Seohyun shyly said.

“Well, what did you like about him?” Sulli asked this time. “His jokes are super corny.”

“I find him adorable when jokes around.” Seohyun giggled.

“He listens to DBSK! He once had an album of them, but he gave it to me because Hyoyeon thinks he’s gay.” Jessica cried.

“They were on our playlist on our way here.” She admitted.

“Haven’t you ever thought that he’s gay? His things are so organized you would think that he’s a girl.” Krystal said.

“Yes. His handwriting is even better than mine!” Then they all shared a laugh.

At the same time, the organizer announced that the rehearsal will start and they all made themselves comfortable beside their loved ones. Suho was originally seated beside Sehun but he switched places with Krystal so that he could seat beside his girlfriend. He shot a glare towards his friends when they laughed at his oddity.

After the rehearsal dinner, they all went back to Sunny’s place where they could settle down for the weekend. The house was still the same as it was when they were kids. It was big enough to house probably all of the Sunny’s ancestors if they were still alive. It was made for the purpose of housing the owners of the farm.

“Since Jessica and Jaejoong have a baby, they will be staying in one room. Sulli and Krystal are sharing in the big room, along with their boyfriends. If you want, you guys can join them, I’m sure there is still space for two. But since you guys are together now, you’ll be staying somewhere special.”

They were on the second storey of the house, passing by the other rooms before they reached the last one in the corridor. The pair entered the room. It was spacious, but there was only one bed, and a couch. The room was made for a couple.

“Sunny, you’ve got to be kidding me.” Suho said.

“Hey, it is a king-size bed! It’s not like you aren’t a couple, right?” Sunny asked as she open the curtains and the testing the lights for them. “Plus, you’ll get to have a bathroom for yourself!”

“Wow, this view is great! Thanks, unnie.” Seohyun said as she looked over the window where she could see the fields of the neighbouring farm. The stars were shining brightly that night; there were no traces of bad weather coming.

“At least one of you knows how to be thankful.” Sunny said, purposely to her best friend. Seohyun laughed at the background and proceeded on unpacking their luggage.

“It is innate in her to be kind, Sunny.” Suho told her after he checked out the bathroom.

“Seohyun, can I excuse Suho for a moment?” Sunny turned to the taller girl.

“Of course, unnie.” Seohyun smiled at her, before going to the bathroom.

Sunny walked out of the room, and Suho followed her out. He asked her, “What do you want to talk about?” The doors to the other rooms were shut, they were probably about to sleep since it is going to be a big tomorrow.

“You never told me about her. I was surprised that you were together in Hyoyeon’s exhibit. So, how long have you been dating?” She asked, smiling. Suho thought that there is something off about her smile, but he brushed it off.

“Days. We just went steady recently. I never told anybody, I was afraid that you’re all going to hunt us in the city. Besides, it’s not like you should know everything that is going on in my life.” He told her, walking casually and propped himself up the railings where he could see what is going on in the living room.

“I am your best friend, Suho. Of course I ought to know!” She said.

“Why must you know about it? Perhaps, are you jealous?” He asked. He was surprised at his words as well. He didn’t even know what came out of his mouth. He was about to take it back, but Sunny was already taken aback.

“What are you talking about? Of course not! Were you trying to make me jealous?” She accused.

“No! You were asking so many things, Sunny. It is quite irritating.” He said. But he only made things worse. Sunny looked at him in disbelief.

“As your best friend, I was just hoping to catch up with you. Why are you making a big deal out of it?” Sunny asked. She was waiting for an answer but he stayed silent, staring back at her.

‘Look, I’m sorry, it’s been a long night, I—”

Just then, a baby’s cry was heard, silencing him. Sunny muttered a curse before running to the nursery. He went back inside the room when Seohyun just came out of the bathroom, with her fresh face, tied up hair, and in casual clothes. She noticed her boyfriend’s fuming temper.

“Hey, did you fight?” She asked. She walked up to him and helped him take off his coat. He was silent, but she could read the anger on his face. She helped him untie his necktie as she continued, “Your feelings for her… Are they coming back?”

He remained silent as he watched her pull the piece of fabric off his neck. He took the chance to take her into his arms and buried his head deep into her neck. His silence was slowly killing her. She knew the answer, but she wanted it to come from his lips. But he kept mum about it, and it hurts her so much, because she was right. She broke the hug and walked to the window and took a deep breath.

“Joohyun…” He followed her and hugged her from the back.

“You can’t have the two of us, Joonmyeon. How could I ever surpass a lifetime of love? You’ve loved her for so long. I can’t pretend to be so strong and believe that you have forgotten her because you just simply don’t. It is not supposed to be a competition because she is going to be married tomorrow. But it feels like I am competing with her for your heart. I can’t compete with her, Joonmyeon.”

“I’m sorry…”

“I wanted to believe that you love me, but I know that you can’t love me alone.”

“Joohyun-ah, I wanted to get her out of my system. But I don’t know how.” He told her.

He tightened his arms around her as he dug his head onto her traps. She knew that it must be difficult for him as well, to be so close with the person he loved for so long, to watch her be happy with someone else, to be able to do nothing but to watch. She knew he was crying, and her tears were bound to fall as well. She knew the condition of loving him, that someone will always have a greater part in his life. She knew that his heart will yearn for his past. She knew that he will hurt her as well. But she accepted him in her life.

By the time he placed a kiss on her neck, her tears fell down as well. She turned around and wrapped her arms around his neck as he leaned in to kiss her in the lips. She closed her eyes, feeling the warmth of his lips. She kissed him back in the same manner, his hands sending ripples of pleasure as they rubbed on her sides. But she suddenly stopped kissing him. She didn’t want to feel happy for a short while only to be replaced with heartache once the sun reached the sky.

“You can’t get her out of you, Joonmyeon. You can’t change her role in your life. What you have to change is how you deal with it.” She told him. He pushed past him and was going to the door when he caught her hand.

“Where are you going?” He asked.

“I’ll be in Krystal’s room. She asked me to come before sleep.” She smiled at him.

“I will be waiting.” He said, and slowly, he let go of her hand.

“Don’t. Just go to sleep when you’re sleepy.” She said. He smiled at her before she completely gets out of the room.

The truth is that she wanted to let her feelings out, and Krystal had a good sense of judgment. But the moment she came out of the door, Sunny came out of what seems to be the nursery as well. The shorter girl smiled at her, as if nothing was wrong between them, and she smiled back.

“Can’t sleep?” The host asked, walking, and meeting her to the stairs.

Seohyun shook her head. Sunny motioned for her to come with her downstairs and they silently went to the kitchen. “How do you feel about your marriage, unnie?” She asked as she sat down the table. Sunny gave her a glass of water before sitting in front of her.

“I am nervous and excited, both at the same time. The feeling is kind of frustrating.” She smiled.

Unnie, I was wondering, why marry here in the province?” Seohyun asked.

“Kris and I decided that we will live in the city and raise Eunchan there. My father thought that the wedding should be here, so that the people could send me off.”

“That is a nice thought.” She said. “I’ll make sure to keep that in mind.”

“How are you and Suho? I was surprised. But when I think of it, it’s not that surprising at all. You have so many things in common… Are you happy with him?”

“Yes.” She smiled, feeling happy just by thinking of him.

“I saw it as well… At Hyoyeon’s exhibit… You were so happy that night… Have you met everyone in his family?” Sunny asked.

“Yes… I’ve met every one of them—his father, Kim umma, Kibum oppa, and his family, and Hyoyeon unnie and her boyfriend. They are all kind.” She said.

There was a moment of silence between them. Seohyun took the chance to drink the water, her heart beating fast. She is talking to her boyfriend’s ex. How could she calm down? She is talking to her rival to Joonmyeon’s heart. But she has to calm down. They are friends as well.

“What did you like about him?” Sunny asked, staring at the glass in Seohyun’s hand.

“I don’t know unnie… One day I just found myself liking everything about him.”

“Suho is a nice kid. He cares for everyone else above himself. He is always in love with everyone he loves. He is so selfless, and caring, and loving, to others, so much to the point that sometimes he’ll be confused about himself. But you have to be there to tell him, show him, teach him, who he is. You have to be there for him.”

Unnie… Do y-you approve of our relationship?” She stuttered as she looked into her unnie’s eyes. Sunny had always been kind to her. She treated her as if she was a sister from another world. She was kind to her. But Seohyun feels as if she stole something—someone dear to her unnie.

“Truthfully, yes. But if I’ll be honest about myself, no.” Sunny told her. She had no choice but to nod and accept her unnie’s words. She can’t blame her. Seohyun stood up and hugged the shorter girl before going back upstairs to their room.

Her tears silently fell as she took the stairs. She thought of going to Krystal’s room, but she didn’t want the others to know that she is crying, so she went straight to the room she shared with Suho. When she opened the door, everything was dark. For a while she was afraid that he went out without her notice, but she heard his voice, “Joohyun-ah? Is that you?”

“Why are you still awake?” She asked, frantically brushing her tears as she closed the door behind her. The moon casted off a light inside, she could see him trying to find her in the shadows. He had prepared for bed as well.

“I was thinking of you.” He said.

She crawled on the bed beside him. His hand automatically found her waist and pulled her close. “What about me?” She asked. Light illuminated against his face. She held his cheek, and stared deep into his eyes.

“Are you jealous?” He asked. She didn’t answer, but her eyes watered. “You have all the right to be jealous, Joohyun. You are my girlfriend. I am sorry for making you jealous.”

“I am not jealous of Sunny unnie. I am envious of the things she knows about you. She knows you so well. She knows so much about you, and I am envious that she practically knows how your mind is working.” She said.

“She does not know everything about me.” He told her. “She is my best friend. She ought to know everything about me. But it doesn’t mean that I will tell her everything all at once. If I told her everything, what secrets could I keep with you?” He asked.

“She is the Lee Sunny in your life, if you could lie to her so easily, then I guess it would not be so hard for you to lie to me as well.” She mumbled, almost too softly, but he heard it.

“I could never lie to you. You know if I am lying or not.” He said.

“Are you lying to me?” She asked, but this time, a sob escaped her lips.

Joonmyeon propped himself up and reached a hand to cup her face. “I couldn’t bring myself to lie about anything to you. I told you nothing but the truth. I can fool myself in everything else, but I can’t lie to you. I don’t want our relationship to revolve around lies.”

“How do I know if I can trust you on this?” She asked.

He leaned down and their lips met in an intense kiss. She wanted to stop him, but his soft lips contradicting his hard kisses sent her into frustration. Tears suddenly fell from her eyes. They were fighting about his other woman, but his advances made her melt for him. He kissed her wantonly, making her helplessly kiss him back. At the same time, she knew it was the most passionate they have ever shared. She let out a moan as he on her lower lip.

She felt her stomach tumble inside, as she slowly felt the desire to take it to the next level. She felt his body writhe on top of her, as if he was restraining himself. Her heart pounded heavily when she felt his hands move down to her neck, and to her shoulders. As their lips frantically yearn for more, her heart beats fast. One hand pinned her wrist above her head, while the other riskily slid down her arms, dangerously near her aching s, and reached to her soft hands and intertwined their fingers.

He was holding on too tight onto her hands. She knew that he wants her badly. And she wanted him to take it to the next step. But at the height of their kisses, she felt him slow down, until they came to a stop. When they finally parted, they stared at each other’s eyes as they catch their breath. He finally let go of her wrist and rolled back to his side, not letting go of her hand. She stared at him in awe. They never made out so hard and passionate before, as they were afraid that they could go further than kissing.

As soon as she caught her breath, she sat up and started hitting his arms. “What do you think you’re doing?! That was dangerous, Kim Joonmyeon! I told you we should be careful! We could have done so much more than that. We could have made a mistake.”

“But I stopped, didn’t I? We didn’t go beyond kissing. I could want you so much but you can trust me not to do it if you’re not ready. You could trust me on anything. Do you trust me?” He said, sitting up as well to level his eyes with her. He found traces of tears across her cheeks and brushed them away with his thumb.

“I love you.” She said, she snuggled into his arms.

“I love you.” He told her before kissing her temple.

 

Joonmyeon woke up to the sound of footsteps moving everywhere. He opened his eyes and found his girlfriend up and about, as well. Just then, the door flew open, and a Jessica Jung appeared, telling Joohyun about the groom missing. He stirred, and suddenly felt a pair of hands shaking him.

“Joohyun, it’s so early. Come back to sleep.” He groaned.

“You have to wake up. Kris is nowhere to be found.” She told him.

He opened his eyes and saw the serious look on her face. Then he immediately stood up. He went straight to the bathroom, as Joohyun looked for fresh clothes in his luggage. He quickly washed his face, and grabbed the clothes in her hands.

“Is Sunny all right?” He called out as he dressed up inside the bathroom.

She was afraid of him, all of a sudden. He moved all too fast, and all too thoughtless. “Mr Lee and the other guys are searching for him. Jongdae-sshi told us that he was last seen going to a pub.”

“How is Sunny?” He asked again with a stern voice as he went out of the bathroom.

“She is downstairs.” She said, with a hint of jealousy in her voice, but it was unbeknownst to him.

He grabbed her hand and they went downstairs as fast as possible. In the kitchen, everyone was circling the shattering bride. She was crying and shouting at the same time. Jessica was so loud as well, her baby Jamie was crying in her arms. Seohyun was shocked at the sight, Jessica and Sunny were fighting, and the two girls remained quiet, watching them by the door. Seohyun felt his hand let go of her, and she felt her heart breaking when Sunny hugged him. She chose to look away and signalled Krystal to get a hold of Jessica’s baby. Krystal took the baby upstairs as they heard Sunny’s cries in Suho’s chest.

“What is wrong with me, Suho? Tell me, what is wrong with me?!” She cried in his arms. He took her arms from him and broke the hug. He held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes. She was terrified and infuriated at the same time.

“Hey, nothing’s wrong with you, Sunny. Kris is just enjoying is last moments as a bachelor.” He told her. “He will come back, and the next thing you’ll know, he’ll be by your side.”

For a moment they thought that Sunny would finally calm down, but her tears came falling again, “He is leaving me again, Suho!” She wailed. “I can’t—! He will not come back! He will not marry me!”

“Calm the up, Sunny!” He scolded her. “Right now, what you have to do is to have faith. Your tears aren’t going to solve anything!”

Everyone was stunned. It was the first time Suho raised a voice at her. He was angry. Just then, Sunny’s mother came in the kitchen and gave out torches. “There is no news from them. Someone should check the silo, the barn, and the stables as well. He could be anywhere.” Mrs Lee said.

“We’ll check the silo. Let’s go Seohyun.” Jessica said, diverting Suho’s attention from the broken bride for a moment. Jessica took a torch and pulled Seohyun away from the scene. Before disappearing from their sight, Seohyun looked back to give him a tiny smile.

“Will you bring him back to me, Suho?” Sunny asked him.

“Yes.” He said, and took a torch with him and exited the kitchen.

It was still dark outside. He guessed it was about three in the morning. He could see the stars shining ever so brightly in the summer night sky. From afar, he saw Sica and Seohyun walking to the silo where they store grain and grass for the animals. He decided to go to the stables since it was the farthest from the farmhouse.

When he entered the stables, he found the groom immediately. He was surprised, because he expected Kris to be drunk and broken like Sunny. But he was completely sober, and sane. He was sitting down beside a mare, gently rubbing its stomach.

“Hey.” Kris said as soon as he saw the best man walk in.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Suho asked, walking over to him. He thought that it would be better if the groom was drunk and wasted, at least he’d have an excuse to beat him up, but he was completely rational, in the right mind, doing the opposite of what he has to do.

“I am nervous.” He said.

“They were going crazy looking for you. They thought you were drunk. They thought the marriage is over.” Suho looked at him incredulously.

“I almost drank it.” Kris showed a bottle of beer from his side. It was opened, but still full.

“Let’s go back. Sunny was going crazy.”

“I can’t.” He said.

“What?! Your wants you by her side yet here you are enjoying a horse’s company! You are getting married, for Pete’s sake!”

“She was jealous, Suho… I saw her steal glances. She watched you from afar. Am I not enough for her?” He asked. “I am jealous as well, Suho. I want her to look at me and only me. Everything is fine between us. But you came and ruined everything. How am I supposed to get married when she is looking at someone else?”

“I could leave this place, at this moment, if you want. Please come back.” Suho said.

“No. I don’t want you to go. You are my best man.”

“Why am I your best man anyway? I didn’t even plan on showing up.”

“You were class president, Suho. You are the only one who talks to me back then. You were my only friend in high school. And you brought me close to Sunny. I owe you my life.” He said.

“Sunny—you whole life—she wants you right now, Kris. She is not looking for me. She is looking for you. She wants you to be right beside her. She is going crazy without you by her side. If you are not going to take care of her, you might as well stop this marriage.”

“Do you still have feelings for her? I know you and Seohyun-sshi are together now. But you can’t just forget about Sunny that easily.” Kris said as he stood up.

“It doesn’t matter now, Kris.” He said, and then they started walking out of the stables.

“Since you are my best man, I’ll take your word for it. Once we get married, you can’t have her. When we exchange our vows, that is the end of your story with her. You can’t barge in on our lives anymore. Even if you are her best friend, it is no longer your job to protect her.” He asked.

“I know.”

“I’m glad you are aware of it.” Kris said.

“Are you aware of your role?” Suho asked him.

“Once you found the love of your life, never let her go. Spoil her, give her all of you, and give her everything she needs, love her, care for her. You can’t go back to your past. Because now, now is the most beautiful thing of all. If you already found her, cherish her, treasure her, value her, be crazy for her, be there for her, and be hers.” Kris said.

At the same time, both men were looking forward. The day is slowly breaking. And in front of them, the bride is running across the field, to meet with the groom. And as they hugged each other, Joonmyeon walked on, across the fieds, staring at back her, making everyone proud.

 

Soon, the day turned into the busiest of all. They all moved to the venue that morning and soon the anticipated afternoon came. Phone calls here and there, laughter and toasts in all the corners. The venue where the ceremony will take place is full of the most beautiful flowers. A jazz band was setting up in the reception hall. Relatives of the bride and groom were all circling around the excited parents. The minister is currently on his way. All the guests are waiting for is the bride and the groom.

The gang was excitedly chatting around one table in the bar when they were informed that the bride was looking for the best man. When Suho came in the bride’s room, he was surprised, shocked, to see a Sunny not smiling. She ran and hugged him, and that is when she cried hard.

“Hey, what is wrong?” He asked, pulling her from him and holding her by the shoulders. “Do you need something? Are you hurting anywhere? Do you want me to get you something?”

“Suho, please stay with me.” She cried.

“I am here, tell me what is wrong.” He asked, and he pulled her to a nearby couch and helped her sit down. He sat on her other side and joined her.

“Suho, do you still love me?” She asked.

“What?”

“Suho, let’s run away. Let’s go somewhere peaceful, let’s escape this reality. I can’t do this, Suho. I can’t marry Kris.”

“What are you talking about? Did the two of you fight?”

“I realize that I should marry the one who loves me the most. I should marry the one who cares for me the most. I should marry the one who is crazy about me. I should marry—I should marry you.”

“Sunny—” He shook his head.

“Please, Suho?”

“No, Sunny. This is wrong. You have a child with Kris. And you are happy with him. You have a future together, in the city, with little Eunchanie. You can’t take your little kid away from his father.”

“What if I lied about the identity of Eunchan’s father?” She asked. “What if you are Eunchan’s father? If we go now, Eunchan would never remember Kris. He will grow up with you, and we will live happily together.”

“Eunchan can’t be mine, Sunny.”

She looked down and cried in silence. Suho stood up to breathe. He remembered the words she said that day, I am seven weeks pregnant, Suho. I am pregnant with Kris’ child. There is no way that Eunchan could be his. It was impossible.

He sat on the table, this time facing her. “Answer me honestly, Sunny. Am I Eunchan’s father?” He stared deep into her eyes. Tears welled up against her lids.

For a moment he thought of what could happen if he is Eunchan’s father. The marriage will be over. He will run away with Sunny. All his dreams, all his hopes, they will all come true. But suddenly he remembered Seo Joohyun. And she was the sole reason why Eunchan can’t be his. He took a deep breath, waiting for her answer, and let it all out when she told him, “No.”

“Sunny, I tried making you happy for all my life, but I was never successful. As much as I love you, we both know that we only hurt each other. Right now, we are hurting each other. If there is anyone who can love you so much without hurting you, it is Kris. And I can see no reason why you can’t marry him.”

“Are you still in love with me?” She asked.

“It doesn’t matter. You are getting married. Even if I still love you, even if my feelings for you are still here, even if it is so hard to let go of you, I must not be in love with you. This marriage, everything where you spent your money, even little Eunchan, all your families, friends, and relatives who came here, mean so much more than my feelings. They will all go to waste if my feelings matter to you.” He said. “Are you in love with me?”

She frowned and answered him, “No.”

Suho’s tears fell as well. Even if he is letting go of her, even if he is trying so hard, her rejection is still painful. He continued, “Kris has always been my rival in your heart, Sunny. He bested me in all the possible ways—looks, education, and even wealth. If he can’t marry you, then all the more that I can’t. He deserve you the most, Sunny.”

“I guess, I was afraid that I am going to make a mistake, Suho. This is the biggest step that I will take in my entire life, and I wanted it to be perfect. I love Kris so much, but I am afraid that he will get tired of me again.”

“He came back in your life, right? He got tired, but he realized his mistake, and came back, because he loves you. And from now on, you are not going to make a mistake alone. You are with him, from this day forward, forever. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, because you are with the love of your life.”

“Would you see how is he doing?” She asked.

“This is my final goodbye, Sunny. And I won’t come back again for you. The next time I wanted to see you, on that aisle, walking towards what is yet to come.” He told her. Sunny meekly nodded before giving him a smile.

“Thank you for everything, Suho. Goodbye.” She said.

“Goodbye.”

He left the room, and closed it behind him. He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath, and releasing them, as he released the events out of his mind. When he opened his eyes, he was surprised to see someone staring at him. It was Joohyun.

“Hello.” She said as he walked up to her.

“Hello.” He said, and then he hugged her tightly. He took in her scent, he smelled of vanilla and strawberry. He told her, “In the future, if ever I denied my feelings for you, I want you to know that it is not true. I love you forever and always. Never doubt my love for you.”

“What are you talking about Joonmyeon?” She asked as she lifted her arms to hug him as well.

“Promise me, you won’t let me go away, even if I tell the otherwise. I want you to know that deep down: I will always want to be with you. And I am yours, forever.” He whispered.

She brought her lips to his ear as well, “You are being cheesy, Joonmyeon. I hate this side of yours.” He felt her smile against his ear. “Why are we whispering, anyway?”

“We have to lay low; we must not take the spotlight from the bride and groom.” He softly said against her ear, before placing a kiss just below it. Joohyun broke free from the hug as his lips tickled her. He smirked, discovering a new sensitive spot on her skin.

“Don’t you have duties as best man?” She asked.

“You distract me, Joohyun.” He placed a kiss on her lips before he went to the groom’s room.

 

“As a teenager, I was nobody. I was troublemaker. I was always at detention. But there was a reason why I became like that. I wanted to be seen. I wanted to be laughed at. I wanted to be looked at. When we became together, she changed me. When we broke up, she taught me how to be independent. When our little Eunchan joined us, I became a father. And when she said yes, she made me the happiest of all men.” By that time, Kris was crying. The guests were cheering him up.

“This girl, she always wanted to be called Sunny. But I am proud that I could call her by her birth name, just like her family. We are starting a family, and she is not just Sunny to me. She is Lee Soonkyu, my wife, and my life.” The guests cheered him and clapped their hands when Sunny kissed him when he sat back.

Joonmyeon watched the pair cuddle in each other’s arms. They were perfect for each other. He asked himself how he could be such a psychopath to get in between their lives. Then he realized something—he had been lost. He had been wandering around the wrong sea, looking for the wrong fish. He had been looking for the wrong treasure, aboard the wrong ship. He had been obsessed with the wrong person. His love for Sunny consumes him. It eats him up, until there is nothing left of him.

“Hey, are you alright?” His thoughts were disrupted by the very same person who rescued him from that pit of hell. He looked down at their hands—he only read it in books—how perfectly their hands fit together. He looked up to her, and found her smiling at him, “A little sentimental?”

“I think I know the answer.” He told her.

“Answer to what?” She turned around to face him completely.

“I kept on asking myself, where the hell have you been? In my twenty-four years of existence, why haven’t I meet you sooner? The answer, is because I am the most foolish and immature dimwit in the entire universe. You were always there. We could have been sooner, if I accepted the Krystal’s set-up. We would have met each other, if I had been looking. We could have seen each other in the hospital, if I stayed a little longer. I’m sorry if I hadn’t been looking.” He said.

“Why are you suddenly thinking about this?” She asked.

“I was wondering how I could be so lucky to have someone like you. What else do I have to think about?” He asked, smiling.

“I don’t know, maybe you should prepare for the best man’s speech?” She suggested.

“Oh, . I totally forgot about it. I already put the band on hold, but I don’t know what to tell them.” He told her. “What am I going to say?”

Just then, an organizer came to their table and handed the best man a microphone for the speech. He clumsily stood up, and looked at everyone as they clapped their hands for him. He took a deep breath as he stared at the newlyweds. They gave him the sweetest smile. He smiled back, and he let go of the air in his lungs.

“Sunny is my best friend. It is one thing to say that she is my best friend. But it is also one thing to say that I am her best friend. Kris was never the perfect guy back then. He was nobody, a reject, the school punk, who suddenly turned into her Prince Charming one night. Earlier this day, the groom told me that he owe me his life. I forgot to tell him that he owes me a song, instead.”

He turned around and sent signal to the band, and they played the opening of a familiar song, “But it doesn’t matter now This song was the perfect song that prom night. This song was playing on the first time Sunny and Kris talked to each other. To the bride and groom!” Then, the band started playing DBSK’s Hug.

“To the bride and groom!” The guests cheered as the bride and groom took the floor and danced to the song, just like how they did during their prom night.

“Aww, you didn’t cry.” Joohyun boyfriend as soon as he sat down.

“I don’t have any reason to cry.” He said.

“I am proud of you.” She said.

He leaned in and kissed her, making everyone in their table giggle.

 


 

This is the penultimate chapter, my dear readers. This is supposed to be the last chapter, but the whole story isn't complete yet. If you are contented with the story, you don't have to read the next update. But if you are craving for one last heavy drama (Sorry, what is angst again?), you can anticipate the next update. Thank you so much for reading this far, and for holding on with me. However you are, if you are reading this, I want you to know that I love you so much. Please comment/upvote, whatever you think is right.