Beautiful Stranger

Faint Limelight

July, 2014

 

“Sir, you seem to be happy today. Did she say yes?”

“Sir, we heard some students who saw you with your girlfriend. They said she is really pretty.”

“Sir, what is your girlfriend’s name?”

Kim Joonmyeon couldn’t understand what his students are talking about. He was with a group of students at that time, who was asking for his number for the nth time. He must admit he is pretty popular with the students. Single and successful at the age of twenty-four, who wouldn’t want to date him? Seohyun was talking with a couple of students in the corridor when they met each other’s eyes. She smiled and bowed at him, and he greeted her back with the same vitality.

“Oh my God, is that Miss Joohyun?” One of his students asked.

“Sir, is she your girlfriend?!” Asked another.

“Daebak!”

“Girls, I don’t have a girlfriend.” He said, stopping to look face his students before he get inside the faculty room.

“Sir, how are you related to Miss Seo Joohyun?” A student asked.

“We’re friends.” He told them.

He didn’t understand why his students squealed after he said that. But he took the chance to get inside the faculty room. He thought that they would stop asking him about it, but it turns out that it spread like wildfire throughout the classes he is handling. The demands and inquiries never stopped, no matter how many times he said the truth that he doesn’t have a girlfriend and that Seo Joohyun is just a friend.

Days have passed, until one Wednesday afternoon when he saw her walking out of her office by the time he passed by. He had been meaning to apologize to her in case the students bugged her about it. But he never got the chance to catch her.

“Hey, we should exchange number by now.” He told her, giving her his phone.

“Yeah, I was surprised most of the students were asking stuff about you.” She said, handing him her phone at the same time she punched in her number.

“Stuff about me?” He asked.

“You were pretty popular among the students. They’ve been asking about your favourite colour, your background, your age, and someone even asked about your past relationships!” Seohyun said, and they started walking down the hall.

“So I guess that everyone knows all of those by now?” He asked.

“I don’t know about your favourite colour. I would never tell anyone about a friend’s background. Well, I told them your age. They wouldn’t believe that you’re already twenty-four. And I told them that as long as you are not yet married they have a chance with you.” She said.

“At least you got better questions.” He said.

“Why? What is happening? It was really surprising, the amount of students visiting me nowadays. It’s as if I’ve become a celebrity here.” She laughed.

“I think some of my students saw us, and apparently, they thought that you are my girlfriend.” He said. “They’ve been asking all sorts of questions.”

“Oh, so that is why.” She giggled.

“Why are you laughing?”

“The students were so persistent in knowing so much about you! Someone even asked what scent you use.” She said. He looked at her in disbelief. “You don’t use any, right?” She asked.

“No.” He said.

When they walked out of the building together, many students greeted them, squealing as they passed by. “Hey, are you going back to your dorm? I can take you if you want.” He offered.

“No, thanks. I have to stop by the library.” She said.

“I’ll get going, then.” He said.

“Bye!” She said, waving a hand to him as she walked towards the library, and Suho went inside his car.

 

Early in the morning, Joonmyun went to the cemetery to give respects to his father whom he neglected for so long. However, there is a slight hope in his heart that he would come across someone. When he got there, a car was already parked at the space he always occupied. As he neared his father’s tomb, he was surprised to see the two looking kids praying there.

It was not too long before they recognized his presence and they looked behind. The familiar faces of the kids struck him down to his core. But he was certain he never met them. How could they resemble someone so much? As if on cue, the older boy got up and helped his younger sister. They bowed to him in synchronisation.

“May we help you, mister?” The younger girl asked.

But before he could answer them, a woman called from behind, “Yesung-ah! Taeyeon-ah!” The kids bowed at him before running to the person. Suho pivoted around, and found his sister-in-law standing twelve-feet from him. His heart skipped a beat, thinking that her husband will appear shortly.

The girl was beautiful. What could he expect from his brother’s taste in women? They met only twice, first during their wedding, and on their father’s burial. She was equally surprised as he was. At first she thought that he did not like her, but when she learned about the rivalry between the two brothers, she understood. And her face softened.

“Joonmyeon-sshi.” She bowed to him.

“Yoona-sshi.” He bowed down as well.

Eomma, do you know this person?” It was the boy who asked his mother.

Yoona bent down to meet her children’s eyes and told them, “Yesung-ah, Taeyeon-ah, this is your uncle Joonmyeon. He is your appa’s younger brother. Why don’t you greet him, huh?”

The kids ran back in front of Suho and they bowed again in perfect sync as they greeted him, “It’s nice to meet you, Sahm-chon!

The kids melted his heart and he end up getting teary eyed as he talked with Yoona. She was a year younger than him, probably on her first year in college when she got pregnant. He pitied her, because of his brother, she had to stop studying. But he never thought that his brother’s carelessness would be the one to change him.

“When Yesung was born, we both knew that we had to work at the same time. We had to feed ourselves, and pay for the upkeep. We were on the verge of breaking up before Yesung came. But he worked hard, and he became a good husband and father to them.” She told him.

“I’m glad to hear that you are all fine.” He said.

“We heard that you were hospitalized last year. But his heart remained cold towards you.” She said. Although his heart was breaking, he knew he deserved the cold treatment from his brother. Yoona continued, “You know, we’re coming to Hyoyeon unnie’s exhibit tonight. Kibum couldn’t come here this morning because he is looking for a gift.”

“Does he always come here?” He asked.

“We come here regularly. He always told the kids to be thankful to their grandfather. And I am thankful to him as well. He saved not only Kibum that day. He also saved us—Yesung, Taeyeon, and I. She was an infant back then. If Kibum didn’t survive that day, we wouldn’t have survived as well.” She said.

“Will the kids be there later at Hyoyeon’s exhibit?” He asked.

“Of course.” She said. At the same time, they watched the kids playfully chase each other across the area. “Do you want to have lunch with us? You have never been to our diner.”

“I’m sorry, Yoona-sshi. But I am having lunch with someone today.” He said. He would be happy to spend time with his niece and nephew, and Kibum as well, only if he didn’t promise Seohyun that he would be eating lunch with her grandparents.

“Oh, a girl?” She smiled. “That is why you’re well-dressed today, huh?”

“It’s not like that.” He smiled.

“I understand. Make sure you treat her well. See you later, then.” Yoona bid him goodbye and she left along with the kids.

 

Seohyun invited him for lunch at their house that Saturday, and they decided that they will go together at Hyoyeon’s exhibit. He brought his suit for the afternoon while he wore casual yet modest clothes to Seohyun’s house. He didn’t want to look like a beggar in her house, and certainly not in front of her grandparents when he knew that her grandmother used to be Dean in his college.

“You look handsome.” Seohyun remarked as soon as he got out of his car. He was not surprised when she hugged him without notice. She tends to surprise him in all unimaginable ways.

“You look beautiful as well.” He said, earning a punch from his friend.

“Grandmother is excited to meet you. She heard a lot about you.” She said, and she took his hand and they went inside. Their house amazed him for the second time around with its elegance. This time, they skipped across the floor and went directly to the backyard, where her grandparents were sitting around a table.

“Ah, this is the young man!” Seohyun’s grandfather exclaimed upon seeing him. He stood up and gave him a tight hug. “It’s nice to see you again.”

“I finally meet you.” A beautiful elder woman hugged him as well, who later kissed him on both cheeks.

“It is my pleasure to meet you.” Suho politely said, bowing at the same time.

He figured out that he was invited for a lunch due to her grandmother’s wishes to meet him. They talked a lot about their career; soon they were talking about literature and poetry, until they fell on the subject about his love life. His life would have been perfect if he is not so unlucky in love.

“Do you have a girlfriend?” Seo halmeoni asked.

“I have none.” He said, smiling.

“Our Joohyun here is very eligible. I must say, her life has been colourless ever since that Cho Kyuhyun broke her poor heart.” Seo harabeoji said. By the time he heard the familiar name, he turned to face her friend, who remained silent on the subject.

“Cho Kyuhyun was a fine young man, as well, about your age, Joonmyeon. But he chose his career over our precious Joohyun.” Seo halmeoni said. “What do you think of Joohyun?”

Halmeoni!” Seohyun interrupted.

“Fine! I’ll stop teasing you.” Seo halmeoni said. But quickly turned to Suho, “This is the first time she brings home a boy, please forgive us.”

It was a long lunch of talking and laughing and teasing Joohyun. After they had lunch, Seo harabeoji led him to a room upstairs where they tried to see what kind of necktie matches him. After receiving some lessons from Seo harabeoji about some courtesy, it soon was time that they wait for the ladies downstairs since they have to drive for more than an hour to get to Hyoyeon’s exhibit.

“You are a fine, young man, Joonmyeon.” Joohyun’s grandfather told him while dusting off his suit for the nth time. “Remember what I told you. You never let your partner out of your sight tonight.”

“I won’t.” He smiled.

“That’s my boy.” Grandfather patted his shoulders before walking past him. “There’s my lovely Joohyun!”

Joonmyeon turned around to see both of the ladies at the top of the staircase. In her grandmother’s arms, Joohyun took the steps down the staircase in a classy manner. Despite what a humble person she is, the thin layer of makeup highlighted all of her right asset. She was wearing a simple yet elegant beautiful white dress that reached below her knees. She didn’t wear heels. She didn’t need them. She had long legs to come by. Her long hair fell freely. She didn’t have to anything with it. She had always looked so pure and angelic to him.

“Oh, God. I must look hideous.” She whispered to him by the time they reached the bottom.

“No, you don’t.” He smiled.

“We must send you off now, dear. You kids wouldn’t want to miss something as important and as sophisticated as a painting exhibit. I have heard lots of stories about Kim Hyoyeon-sshi. In fact, she painted this beautiful portrait before we heard about her in the news.” Seo halmeoni said whilst looking at the painting of middle school Joohyun with her deceased parents.

“She is such a great artist.” Seo harabeoji added.

“Off you go now, dears. Have fun!” Grandmother pushed them towards the front door; the youngsters had no choice but to get out as well.

“What is her curfew?” Joonmyeon suddenly asked.

“Joohyun is a grown woman! She doesn’t need a curfew!” Her grandmother said before they completely exited the manor house.

They were laughing at her grandmother’s remark as they descended through the marble steps and walked hand in hand as they made way to his car. However, their laughter didn’t stop even as they started driving. They talked about her grandparents during the whole ride, as he was never fond of his own grandparents. He was never a favourite and they left the world when he was too young. However, Joohyun’s grandparents were cool, completely negating his belief about the elders.

Suho used to laugh at the name Kim Hyoyeon. He never expected her to be so successful in her career. Her paintings were popular worldwide, making her probably one of the richest artists in the whole country. Due to her popularity, and the amazing guests his sister had that night, he didn’t expect that she would be having time for them. When Kim Hyoyeon laid her eyes on them, she was surprised to see the both of them laughing together.

“Did you two know each other?” She inquired upon seeing the casual bond between her brother and her friend. His arm protectively wrapped around her waist.

“Yeah, we met at Sunny’s birthday.” Suho told her. However, Hyoyeon was not convinced and she turned to Seohyun to confirm it.

“Then we met again at the University.” Seohyun said.

“Were you dating since then?” Hyoyeon asked.

“Heavens, no!” “No!” The two said at the same time. They looked at each other and laughed together.

“Whatever. We’ll have a family dinner tonight. Take my Seobaby with you.” Hyoyeon said.

Unnie, I am not family, it is embarrassing.” Seohyun told her.

“Don’t worry about it. I’m sure Kibum will bring Yoona as well.” Hyoyeon said. With that, Suho turned to face his friend again.

“Ah, I guess it will be fine.” Seohyun smiled at his sister.

“Okay, enjoy yourselves!” Hyoyeon told them before disappearing from their sight.

“She became a busy person.” Seohyun faced him, who has been watching at her, not getting over the conversation between the two. “Why are you staring?”

“You know Kibum and Yoona-sshi as well?” Suho asked.

“Yoona is my best friend, who married Kibum oppa.” She said.

“You never told me you know my brother as well.” Suho told her.

“It was not my fault, Joonmyeon. You had a totally different description of him, and there are so many Kibum in this country. You can’t expect me to identify him from your stories.” She said.

“How do you see Kibum, then?” He asked.

“Well, he wasn’t as much as good when I first met him, but certainly he is not as bad as you speak of. He is a nice man. I was surprised that he changed, and they now have two lovely kids.” She said.

Just then, someone went inside the place that caused so much turmoil from the media outside. The camera flashes became so frequent and blinding, until the security gave way to this big person to make such big reaction from the people.

When he saw her small figure coming from the doors, the reflex was to walk up to her, but his arm remained tightly around Joohyun’s waist. He remained on his ground as he and his partner for the night watched Seoul’s best-selling author walk inside the place. She made a hit in the industry during the previous month among the young adult readers. Who would have known that she could be so popular in writing? Who would have known that he was related to two well-known people in that night? The doors closed behind her as if it was the grandest star that made the entrance.

“Have you read her story?” Joohyun asked him.

“No, I haven’t… Have you?” He asked, not taking his gaze off the famous author. Hyoyeon immediately came to Sunny’s company and hugged her. They made an immense sensation in the country, almost at the same time. Hyoyeon’s paintings and Sunny’s first-published novel, they are two of Seoul’s biggest people.

“She gave me a free copy. Of course I have.” She giggled.

Then, Joohyun broke free from his arm and held his hand. They walked deeper into the place to divert his thoughts and they stopped in front of a familiar family portrait. He couldn’t believe it, Hyoyeon painted them. It was taken when they were kids, but the moment was still fresh in his mind.

“You got your looks from your father.” Joohyun said. “Basing on this, your parents must have loved each other so much.”

“How was the story?” He asked. Joohhyun looked at him in surprise. “How was Sunny’s book?”

“It was sad.” She said, taking her gaze off him and stared back at the painting. She noted the happiness in their eyes as a child. She looked back at him to study his face. “Just like your eyes tonight.”

Soon the lonely space that Joonmyeon and Joohyun shared at that time was engulfed with more people as the painting prodigy and the phenomenal author met with them. It was not until Hyoyeon asked the security to make some space when they could hear each other’s voices.

“I won’t be long, Hyoyeon. I have a fan-signing event to catch in one hour.” Sunny told the host.

“Of course, I understand.” Hyoyeon said.

“I just want to invite you guys to my wedding. It is a three-day wedding, it will happen in the province. I expect you guys to be there by Thursday.” The smallest girl told them the same time she handed out the invitation. She added, “You wear your best, but don’t forget that I am supposed to be the most beautiful on that day.” Sunny giggled.

“Of course, unnie.” Seohyun said.

“Suho-ah, you are my best man, okay?” Sunny said.

“Yes, of course.” He told her.

“I’ll get going now, my loves.” Sunny said, and hugged Hyoyeon first, and Seohyun, before hugging him lastly.

When Sunny left, Seohyun was disappointed that Suho’s soul seems to have left as well. They were silent as they walked around the place, peacefully observing the different canvasses that hung on the walls. When Hyoyeon was announced to be leaving, the people lessened but there were still others who stayed.

“Hey, do you want to go home already?” Seohyun asked him when they get into his car. They were supposed to go to the restaurant where the family dinner was supposed to be.

“Do you want to go home already?” He asked.

“You look tired.” She said.

“I’m fine. Let’s meet with my family, shall we?” He asked.

They were silent when they got in the restaurant. There was a reservation under Hyoyeon’s name in a private room. When they got there, they were surprised that no one has arrived yet. But moments later, someone came in and broke the silence between the two.

“Seohyun?” It was Kibum’s wife Yoona who spoke excitedly the moment she came in. Yoona ran to her best friend and hugged her. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m with Joonmyeon.” She told the inquisitive woman which made them break the hug.

“You’re dating Joonmyeon-sshi?” Yoona turned to see Seohyun’s apparent companion and smiled widely.

“No, we’re just friends.” Seohyun laughed but Yoona didn’t buy it.

Just then, the kids arrived just in time to see their favourite aunt. They tackled Seohyun into a hug and making her burst in happiness. Joonmyeon was still stunned at everything that’s happening. Seohyun and Yoona really are best friends and the kids were fond of the former.

“Oh? Seohyun-sshi.” The familiar husky voice broke through the air, sending shivers down his spine certainly not in a good way. Nervously, Suho turned around to face his brother after a long time. His brother was equally stunned, but managed to say, “Oh? Joonie-ah, it’s been a long time.”

Hyung.” Joonmyeon said before Kibum took him for a hug.

 

“Are you dating Seohyun-sshi?” His brother asked. From the outside, he could see the two friends playing with the kids. He unknowingly smiled watching them.

“No. We’re just friends.” Joonmyeon told his brother.

Good thing they didn’t stay on the subject and went on their conversation. “What have you been doing in your life to get hospitalized twice in the same year?” His brother asked in a superior tone. Suho didn’t answer him. His brother sighed before continuing, “I’m sorry we didn’t visit you back then.”

“It’s all right. You must be thinking that I deserved it.” Suho said bitterly.

“That’s right… You were foolish and immature, dimwit.” His brother said. “But you only deserve all those things if you learned something from it.”

“Will you forgive me?” He asked.

“I am your hyung, right? Of course I’d forgive you.” Kibum gave his signature smile making the younger Kim heave a breath of content.

Just then, they noticed their mother’s presence along with Hyoyeon and her boyfriend. The happiness was painted on their faces at the sight of the two brothers in a good mood. They have made up, and they all went inside the private room and had their most awaited dinner.

The whole dinner was lively. Everone was having fun, even Joohyun. At the same time, he couldn’t take his eyes off her. It’s as if she was meant to be with them. Everyone in the table except Kim umma practically knew Seo Joohyun. She was not left out at all. In fact, his mother loved her, especially her grace and air.

Hyoyeon and her long-time boyfriend Eunhyuk weren’t planning on marrying, at least not in five years’ time. She was on the height of her career, and wouldn’t want to make haste decisions. However, the whole family was excited to know more about the youngest Kim who was still loveless at the age of twenty-four.

“Joohyun-ah, our Joonmyeon is a good kid. What do you think of him?” Kim umma said.

Umma!” Suho retorted, but everyone was waiting for the girl’s answer.                   

“I think that Joonmyeon will make a fine husband.” Joohyun said, making everyone else tease the both of them, but Seohyun easily laughed her way through it. She has this aura that attracted everyone, and apparently amused them the whole night. Everyone just laughed at what she was saying.

The dinner lasted longer than expected. Suho didn’t mind, he never had so much fun with his family for a long time. However, he was worried that Seohyun won’t like to stay out for too long, but it turns out that she enjoyed as well. They sped up the highway; he was keen on returning her home that night.

“I’m sorry you stayed up this late.” He told her.

“It’s fine. I had a great time. Besides, it is Sunday tomorrow; I could rest the whole day.” She said.

“Of course you can.” He said.

As they pulled over in front of her house, they were surprised that the lights weren’t on. “It is so late now, they are probably already sleeping.” Seohyun said. “Do you want to have tea before you drive back home?”

It was tempting. Suho loved their tea. They had a continuous supply of fresh tea leaves for some reason. Joohyun smiled, she knew that he was having a hard time. “It will keep you awake during the drive.” She said, making him accept her invitation.

Joonmyeon was looking around, studying the family portrait hung on the wall, which was apparently, painted by Hyoyeon before she became popular. He noticed that Seohyun was a perfect blend of her parents’ features. He wandered to the adjacent room where a grand piano was sitting alone.

“Hey.” She joined him, whilst opening the lights to the room.

“Do you play?” He asked her.

“Rarely…” She walked over to him and helped him take off his coat. She carefully folded it and placed it on a couch. “The tea is almost done. I’ll be back!”

When she came back, her hair was tied up in a bun. He watched her carefully pour tea onto the cup. “Joohyun-ah…” He started.

“Yes?” She asked, her innocent eyes met his.

“Are you sure you were not sent to kill me?” He asked. She broke into laughter, knowing what was going on in his mind. “You knew everyone close to me, everyone important to me, everyone I love.”

“I was surprised as well, Joonmyeon.” She grinned. “Listen very well, because I will not say this again. I am not a spy or some agent hired to kill you. Okay?”

Suho laughed. “I still find it funny… But enough about me! What about you?” He asked.

“I don’t know what to tell you!” She said.

“What is your war?” He asked.

“Besides the fact that my parents died when I was a kid, I don’t know what to tell you.” She said.

“What about the piano?”

“What about it?” She asked.

“It must have been a family thing. Why do you rarely play it?” He asked.

“I just stopped.” She shrugged.

“You’re not telling me.” He frowned.

“Promise me you’ll never tell this to anybody.” She said.

“I promise.”

She took a deep breath, staring at the piano, before she turned to him. She scooted closer and stared deep into his eyes. “There was only one thing that my parents are strict about. They wanted me to learn how to play it, because they were musicians. They met at a conference, and you can say that they fell in love with each other at first sight. I think it was some kind of rebellion on my side as a kid. So I stopped playing.”

“You said rarely.”

“I do play sometimes, though. When I missed it, or when my grandparents aren’t around…” She said. There was longing in the way she stared at the huge instrument. He knew that she wanted to play deep inside.

“Is that the reason why you take so many classes? You have a job, but you are still studying so many things. It’s as if you’re not content with your job, and you’re afraid that you’ll end up in the same career as your parents if you fail, so you are always learning something new, just to excuse yourself from playing.”

“Maybe…” She said.

“Do you mind playing for me? It wouldn’t be so loud, would it?” He said.

“Their rooms are upstairs. They might hear me, but if I would play a nice piece, I’m sure they’ll fall back asleep.” She said, and she took his hand and they sat together in front of the piano.

Joonmyeon watched her hands elegantly played to a classical music. The passion in her moved him. He was not a fan of them, but he enjoyed it as much as she did. When she was done, he realizes that his heart was beating so hard, and fast. She stared back at him, and waited for something. He managed, “What do you call that?”

Für Elise by Beethoven.” She told him. “It is one of his most popular pieces. You may have heard it at least once in your life.”

“Joohyun… Was Cho Kyuhyun your first love?” He asked.

“You heard it right from my grandparents.” She said.

“You never told me about him. I mean, I’ve been telling you my story, and how I am pushing Jessica to look for Kyuhyun when we were younger. Because I thought he was perfect for her.” He said. “Why did you break up?”

“It was a long time ago. When I was mourning for my parents, he was there to comfort me in school. But he flew to the States to study there… When you told me about Jessica unnie’s story, I think that it was in his nature to leave girls like that—hanging.” She said, smiling.

“Did you see anyone after him?” He asked.

“I am not very popular to the boys of my age. There are so many beautiful girls out there who could make their hearts flutter. I am not one of those beautiful girls.” She said.

“You are beautiful.”

“Oh, God, no! I am not beautiful.”

“You are beautiful.”

“I am not beautiful.”

When she turned to him, he did the last thing she expected.

He leaned in and crashed his lips against hers, taking her by surprise. Her reflex was to restrain, but she immediately melted into the way he kissed her. His lips felt so soft. Unknown to herself, she started replying his kisses with the same amount of passion. Their lips caught in a fluid dance. His hand cupped her face. Getting addicted to her warm and soft lips, he couldn’t help but to pull her closer, replenishing his growing need. His free hand held on to her waist, he felt the temperature rising, as lust enveloped the air they breathe.

He didn’t understand how he started it, why he did it, or what made him do it. But he felt a sense of comfort and pleasure course through him as they kissed. His hand dangerously moved to her back, closing the space between them, when he realizes what will happen next. She was a friend, and he respects her. He didn’t want to hurt her. Before he could take the next step, he slowed his kisses. She got the idea, and they slowly parted. A smile was formed on her lips; however, he watched it turn into a frown when she saw the look in his eyes.

He said, “I’m sorry, Joohyun.”

She remained silent, recalling that they are not a couple, and are not in any way involved with anything romantic with each other. They are good friends, and she wanted to keep it as well. She stared at the ivories, thinking that it was the most idiotic thing she ever done in her life. She spoke, “It was not entirely your fault.”

“We should forget about this. I’m really sorry.” He grabbed his coat and went out of the manor.

 

The next time they see each other in the halls, they didn’t greet each other, and clearly there was awkwardness between them. The students noticed this, stirring confusion between them. It has been only a week since the students started pairing them up, but they grew cold towards each other.

 “Sir, you seem so sad today. Did you fight?”

“Sir, we heard that Miss Seo was seeing this guy. Is it true?”

“Sir, did the two of you break up?”

That day, there was an emergency department heads meeting called upon by the Dean of College of Arts and Letters Suho received from the Dean himself, saying that it was urgent. When he got to the conference room, the other heads were there as well, and they looked at him as if he was the centre of the stage.

He sat down at an empty chair, which apparently was next to the Dean himself. He looked around and found Seo Joohyun in front of him, silently looking down, as if she made something bad. Then the Dean started talking.

“There was a demand among the students to repair the relationship between our faculty members. I guess we all know what we are talking about.” The Dean said. Suho suddenly got the idea that they were talking about him and Seohyun. They met each other’s gazes, but dropped them immediately.

“This is the only way to solve this. You are not going out until the two of you talks about this.” Their head said. Before they could react, the other faculty members started vacating the place, and the Dean made sure to lock the both of them inside.

He stood up and tried to open the door but to no avail. He gave up, and leaned on the table, standing. Joohyun stood up as well and tried to open the door. He was surprised when she tried to open it with her strength, hammering her body against the door, but there was no luck.

“Hey.” He started, breaking the silence between them after a couple of minutes.

“Hey…” She replied.

“Last Saturday…”

“Do you like me, Joonmyeon-sshi?” She asked. Her tone was serious—with a hint of anger in her voice. He looked up to her in surprise. She was dead serious, her eyebrows furrowed, and her lips pursing as if to stop herself from saying something hurtful. But he was too stunned to talk. She continued, “You told me that you are sorry. It was an accident, right? It was a mutual agreement not to think about it. But now you are the one acting as if it was the biggest deal.” She said.

“I didn’t want to make it awkward for us.” He said.

“So we’ll stop being friends because of that simple thing?” She asked.

“Heavens, no!”

“You avoided me at all costs! How could we be friends?” She was shouting.

“Joohyun, I-I… I’m sorry, okay? I was afraid that you will not want to see me again after that. I don’t want to break our friendship. I was afraid that it will be awkward for the two of us. I was afraid, that I’ll lose you—”

“Bull!” She exclaimed.

“I am falling in love with you, Joohyun. I am falling even deeper every day.” He said.

She stood frozen on her spot. “I don’t only like you, Joohyun. I like you so much. I don’t know how it started, I don’t know why. You made me crazy that I wanted to see you all the time. You made me so crazy that I could see you everywhere, in the halls, in the men’s room, even in my dreams! That kiss was so great that I wanted to turn back time and stop myself from leaving. I wanted to talk to you. But I was afraid that I’ll fail again in love this time. I was afraid that you won’t love me back.”

She heaved a breath. It was a lot to take in. But at the same time, her heart was pounding so hard at his sudden confession. She was angry at him for avoiding her, and for not telling her. But his words melted her cold heart all over again, and her face softened. She could not hate him. She just couldn’t.

“The moment we met, I have known that you are the last man that I will fall in love with. But I was wrong. When you told me your story, I felt my heart breaking in every chapter. I loved you when you treat me on dinner. I loved you more when you bought me a book and watched a movie with me. I loved you most when you kissed me. You made my heart flutter in the most unimaginable way over the past days. And you are a fool for thinking that I won’t love you back.”

 “I did not want to rush things between us. I don’t want to fall in love so fast because I was afraid that I’ll lose you all too fast, too.” He asked. “Can we be?”

She smiled and walked up to him. She replied by pulling him in for their second kiss. Even though they knew that the other faculty members were probably listening on them, or probably watching them through the CCTV camera, they kissed with so much passion in that room on that day. That time, they only have each other, in their own world, kissing with so much vigour until they grew breathless.

He took her in his arms and rested his head on her neck. “Do you want to be my girlfriend?”

She giggled. “I thought I already am when you kissed me.”

“Let’s blow up the whole school with the news.” He said.

“I think we already did.” She smiled, and they turned to face the unlocked doors.

 


 

The title was after Beautiful Stranger by f(x), not SNSD. I was wrong about the drama coming, but it will be on the next chapter. And if you guys noticed I stopped writing in Suho's perspective since the previous chapter because he is no longer telling the story. Wow, you've made it this far! Congratulations! Please tell me your thoughts about the events right now!