Not Alone

Faint Limelight

July, 2014

Joonmyeon is already on the second month in his job. The people at the College of Education were more than happy to refer him to the Dean of College of Arts and Letters. Everyone knew the great Kim Joonmyeon who topped both the Dean’s List and board exams back then. Everyone wanted him to teach in their department. There were so many opportunities for him with his promising credentials, he could even go abroad to teach. But he chose to stay in his country.

His career had been stable. He started to pay for his own living. He started living the dream. His students loved him. He was popular even among his colleagues. He had an almost perfect life. But he has nobody to be with him at the end of the day. His mother is back in their house, starting to age, and will eventually leave him when the time comes. His sister currently opening gallery, while his brother somewhere, with his own family. His friends had their own life. At the end of the day, he’d be alone with no one by his side.

The cold wind blew against him as he walked downtown, down to his new favourite place after a whole stressful week. The place was one block away from his building. Sometimes he meet his colleagues Sometimes he sees his students. But most of the times, he sat on the bar, occasionally talking to the bartender. He took a deep breath as he stared at the pub. He was about to cross the road when someone called his name. So loud, that everyone within the twelve foot radius turned to the speaker.

“Seohyun?” He asked. The first and last time he saw her was during Sunny’s birthday. He smiled at her, and waited for her to walk up to him. He was confused seeing his new acquaintance. They clicked well with each other, even talked about a lot of things themselves, but they forgot to get each other’s numbers. However, he couldn’t help thinking what the hell is she doing around the University grounds?

“Suho-ah! Good thing I found you, because my friend Yuri just told me that she has a date tonight!” The girl named Seohyun said excitedly as she skipped towards him. She landed safely in front of him. “Have you eaten dinner yet?”

“I had a sandwich.” He shrugged. She clung an arm around his.

“Okay, let’s go. I will try this new restaurant that my friend told me about. She said they have the best spaghetti around. Do you like spaghetti?” She asked as they walked together around the place without the boy’s consent.

“Aren’t you going to ask me first if I wanted to go with you?” He asked, suddenly realizing what is bound to happen.

“You don’t want to eat with me?” She asked, suddenly slowing her pace. He looked back at her, and found her serene, innocent eyes pretty convincing. His mind went blank for a moment as he stared back at her before he could come up with an excuse only to fail at the execution.

“Do you usually go around asking random people out for dinner?” He asked.

“You are not random. You are a friend.” She smiled. “So, we’re eating, right?”

“Yeah, sure.” He said.

Suho mentally slapped himself as they walked on, arm in arm, looking for the place. And as they walked in the restaurant she was talking about, he actually felt lucky and excited that he is doing something other than drinking on a weekend. Outside the students are at large, going in all direction from different parts of the city. It reminded him of the buzzling spirit he had when he was in college.

“So what are you doing here?” He asked her right after the waiter took their orders. They sat facing each other by the window. The place was built in European style, giving the sweet vibes of the foreign country.

“I am guidance counsellor in the College of Arts and Letters.” She said as her eyes scanned the place as well. She remembered her friend telling her that it served the best Italian dishes around. However, she was afraid that her friend prefers Korean dishes. “What are you doing here?”

“You are in AB? No way. I teach there.” He said in disbelief.

“Yes way.” She said. “I’ve been there for two years now.”

They laughed together in unison as their conversation took them everywhere. They talked about the college, and the type of students there, as well as the temper of the faculty members. They didn’t realize that they have so much more in common than what they had known months ago.

“So are you still taking classes right now?” He inquired about the girl’s indefinite obsession over studying. The waiter has served their orders by then, but their conversation never died as they chowed down on their spaghetti plates.

“Yeah. I took Foreign Language and Literature. I have classes in the morning, and then I go to work in the afternoon.”

“Isn’t hard to work and study both at the same time?” He asked.

“Well, it’s a bit tiring, but it’s always fun to learn something new.” She said.

Suddenly, Suho’s phone beeped at the same time Seohyun felt hers vibrate. He excused himself as he read the message, while she took the chance to read hers as well. After typing his reply, Suho turned to his companion who has just finished answering someone’s message as well.

“Seohyun-sshi…” He started.

“What’s with the formal language?” She asked.

“Ah. I’m sorry…” He laughed, and Seohyun giggled. “What do you think of paintings?”

“Love them.” She said.

“My sister will open her exhibit next week Saturday. Are you free?” He asked. She was stunned for a while. Suddenly Suho felt shy and nervous as to whether she will accept or decline his invitation. Then, he realized that he sounds as if he is asking her out on a date. “It’s not that I’m asking you out. I just have no one to go with.” He said.

“No, no. Of course I understand. Funny, I received a text from my unnie to come to attend her exhibit.” She said. “This sounds really crazy but I think we have the same message from the same person.”

“Don’t tell me you know my sister Hyoyeon as well.” Suho replied.

“I think so… Yeah…” She nodded slowly as she smiled. At the same time, they were thinking about the oddity of the girl’s connections. He swore if by any chance she knew someone else close to him, he would think of her as his stalker. She giggled, “What a small world.”

“Does she talk about me?” He asked, pertaining about his sister.

“Hyoyeon unnie thinks you are gay because you listen to DBSK.” She smiled, taking the last bits of her spaghetti into the fork and down .

“She does?” He asked, to which she nodded. “Aish… She is ruining my image… How did you meet her anyway?”

“We were classmates in Art History.” She said. “I still can’t believe it… such a small world.”

“I know, right? Are you some agent who is hired to kill me?” He asked.

“No. If I was hired to kill you, you would’ve been dead since I got the assignment.” Then she gave him a deadly stare, before she erupted into laughter.

He silently finished his meal as Seohyun talked about another familiar person they have in mutual. Once they agreed on asking for the bill, he excused himself for the bathroom. But when he was certain that she could not see him, he took the chance to talk to the waiter and paid the bills, asking him to be quiet in the process. When he came back to their table, Seohyun was smiling brightly.

“Hey, should we pay for our bills?” He asked innocently.

She motioned for him to come closer, and she whispered, “Do you believe that they have a promo for University faculty members today?”

“Really?” He whispered back, smiling.

“I don’t believe it either.” She told him darkly, and sat back again, and with a mature tone she asked, “Are you trying to please me, Suho-sshi?”

“W-What are you talking about?” He stuttered.

“This will only happen today, got it? If you treat me dinner again anytime soon, I will tell Hyoyeon unnie that you really are gay.” She said and stood up.

“Wow. Thanks, I guess.” He said, getting up as well and following her.

He didn’t expect her to be upset for he was only doing it out of courtesy. He is the man between them; he just thought that he had the obligation to pay. When they get out of the borders of the restaurant, he was surprised that she was no longer upset about it anymore.

“Suho-ah, will you come with me to the bookstore? I need to check this one thing.” She told him.

“Sure, no problem.” He said, and they walked on further south. He checked the time from his watch, and was surprised that he will get home early for the first time in months.

“Where do you live?” She asked as if reading his mind.

“Somewhere near, just a fifty-minute drive from here.” He said.

“That’s far, Suho. How could that be near?” Seohyun replied.

“Where do you live?” He asked.

“My dorm is just around the corner. Sometimes I go home when I feel like it.” She said.

“You aren’t going home tonight? It’s weekend. Aren’t you going to spend time with your family?” He asked.

“I regularly visit them, so don’t worry.” She smiled.

“Oh, here we are.” Seohyun said, and they went inside the bookstore. “If you want, you can go around look for something.”

“Nah, I’ll just follow you around.” He said.

They walked to the bestsellers area. Suho didn’t exactly know what they were exactly looking for. But he noticed that she had a different aura around the books. He watched the way she glide her fingers over the books, and how she held them—gingerly. “Do you know someone who read this?” She asked, while holding a book with blue and black cover entitled, The Fault in Our Stars.

“I don’t know… Maybe Jessica has? But she has a baby to take care of, I doubt she have time to read something these days.” He told her.

“You see, I heard from a friend of mine, that the movie wasn’t as good as the book. So I wanted to read the book first before I see the movie.” She told him.

“Why don’t you just see the movie? You will learn about the story anyway.” He said.

“Well, I wanted to see the movie because of Shailene Woodley. But I heard that the book was good.” She giggled.

“Then, buy the book.” He said.

“I can’t. I didn’t allot it in my allowance.” She said.

“So, you’re not going to buy the book?” He said.

“Well… I guess I’ll borrow from someone. That’s it! Maybe the students have a copy. You don’t think they would mind me borrowing from them, do you?” She asked.

“I guess not… I could borrow one for you. If it is bestselling, I’m sure my students have them.” He smiled.

“You’d do that for me?” She asked.

“Of course.” He shrugged.

“You are an angel sent from the heavens, Suho! Let’s get going then.” She exclaimed.

“Ah, wait. I’ll check something out.” He said.

“Oh? Okay! I’ll be at the classics section, if you’re done.” She turned around and went her own way, as Suho cautiously watched her.

Once she was out of sight, he took the book she’s been looking at and brought it to the counter. He didn’t know why he wanted to do it, but he did it anyway. After paying for it, he went to the classics section and found her intently reading a synopsis of one book. Suddenly, a familiar scene came across his mind. “Do you remember the first time we met?” He asked.

“I would never forget that, Suho-sshi…” She said, returning the book back to the shelf and turned to him. “So, where do you park your car?”

“In front of the AB building.” He said and she nodded.

They walked out of the library and started walking back to the University. They stayed silent as they walked. When they passed by the same location they met earlier, he stared at the pub. Students come and go from the doors. He couldn’t believe that he was about to waste money and his soul again that weekend. He used to spend so much money for the booze. He wasn’t used to spending them only for dinner and a bestselling book.

“Hey, do you have a problem?” She asked. He stared at her, stunned. She continued, “You were about to go there. I saw you, don’t deny it.” She said, pointing back at the pub where she found him.

“Thanks, I guess…” He looked down at his footsteps.

“I am a counsellor, remember? You can tell me anything.” She said. “Besides, I already gave you a free session last May.”

“About that…” He said.

“Krystal once mentioned that they never see you anymore.” She said.

“R-Really? I’m busy…” He said.

“You were about to go back there at the pub. You’ve got some problem, man.” She said. “Is it career problems? No, you seem happy about your work. Financial problems? I highly doubt. Unless… Love problems?”

“Maybe…” He silently said.

“Hey, you don’t have to tell me. It doesn’t have to be someone professional like a therapist. You just need to tell someone, somebody, and let it go, huh? Tomorrow is Saturday, go home, see someone you trust, and tell them.” She said.

“I am fine, Seohyun.” He said firmly.

“I haven’t put my skills to use, but I could see the sorrow in your eyes, Professor Kim.” She said. “If I could see the colour of your soul right now, it would be blue. I could see deep blue everywhere, all parts of your soul.”

He looked away from her gaze and watched his feet. “I can tell anyone, right?” He said.

“Yes. Even a stranger. Someone who would listen to you. He doesn’t have to talk, he doesn’t have to understand. He just needs to listen.” She said.

“Thanks…”

Suho didn’t notice that they were already in front of their building until she broke it to him. “So, we’ll see each other next Saturday? Hyoyeon’s exhibit.” She said.

“Where do you live? I could drive you.” He offered.

“No need, just go home. I’ve bothered you enough.” She said.

“Oh, yeah, of course.” He said. “Next Saturday, then.”

“I’ll get going, then.” She said. She smiled and waved at him shortly, before she turned around. Suho turned around as well and walked to his car when he remembered the package in his hands.

“Seohyun-ah!” He called. She turned around. He ran, catching his breath as he stopped in front of her. “I had a great night. I was supposed to be drinking tonight, but you rescued me. Thanks.” He said, giving her the book at the same time.

She opened the package. As soon as she saw the colours of the cover she exclaimed, “Oh my God! You don’t have to do this!” She pushed the book back to his hands, but he took her hand and pressed on the book firmly.

“No, please, I insist.” He said. He was about to go wasted, until Seohyun appeared out of nowhere, taking him to dinner. There was something about her that pulled him away from his thoughts of drinking.

“I can’t take this, Suho.” She said, their hands still battling on who is the most selfless between them.

“Think of this as my payment for last May’s session.” He said. “I owe you so much. And this night, I would have spent so much more than dinner and this book. But you stopped me, and I am thankful.”

“Well, if you put it that way…” She smiled, slowly taking the package, and Suho let go of it and her hand as well.

“See you next Saturday, then.” He said. “Or maybe around the campus, in the halls.”

“Yeah, see you!” She said. He started walking backwards as he waved at her. She smiled, waved as well, and walked on.

As he drove home that night, he thought about the spirits of his friend. She had this tenacity about her that somehow convinces him. She was weird, and probably the weirdest person he’s ever met in his life. But at the same time, she had the kindest and sincerest words. Knowing that she knew practically almost everyone in his life, he kept on wondering why he met her only recently.

That night when he found his mother safely tucked in her bed, he decided that he would start moving on from all the pain and sadness he stumbled upon. From the death of his father, to his rivalry with his brother, down to his unending love for his best friend, he decided that he will no longer cower in darkness, and face things head on.

He kissed his mother on the forehead before he climb upstairs to his room. Their house felt empty ever since Hyoyeon purchased a house of her own. They used to be so happy, and cheerful, even in the dark, but these days, even when the sun is up; it was so silent and peaceful. In the twenty-four years of his life, he had never felt so alone.

The next day, Suho went to his father’s grave. He must admit, he never visited him after the burial. But when he got there, he was surprised that the lot was taken care of, grown Bermuda hugged against the land, and flowers on the foot of the pedestal. A candle was lit, and he was sure that whoever visited his father has not left for long. He thought that it must be Hyoyeon, but it could be Kibum, as well. Then he realized how stupid of a son he really is.

He didn’t know how to start; he was not good in expressing himself. He sat down the grass, and stared at the writings on the stone. His father died so young, and so selflessly, Suho hated him for it. As a child, his father has always been the stern one. Though he knew that his father only ever wanted for him was the best, he had to go against him for his future.

Appa… It feels so alien to me, because we never called you appa. It has always been abeoji.” He said. He remembered the times his father slapped Kibum for hitting a classmate, when his father locked Hyoyeon in her closet for skipping classes, and the time his father always speak so proud of him during dinner. Joonmyeon was the favourite. He had always been the one who obeyed him. “I went to Medicine, abeoji… I wasn’t cut out for it. You’re wrong, for the first time.”

The wind blew on him. He realized that he couldn’t do it all at once. But he continued, “When you left us, I made all the wrong decisions and all the wrong actions. Hyung and I fought as always. But we have never made up ever since the last time. I am sorry, father. I called him a bastard, and I doubted your selflessness.” He recalled the times when he and Kibum used to play together, teaming up against their sister. He missed those days.

“Do you remember Jessica?” He asked. He remembered the times when they have barbeques in their backyard. His father was fond of the Jung sisters. Everyone was, because they look so much alike. “Jessica found a good guy, and she already has a baby.” But Suho had always been affectionate of his other friend. “Do you remember Sunny?” He asked, and paused for a while as if his father answered something. But only silence replied to him.

“I love her so much, abeoji. But she is going to marry someone else anytime soon.” He said. Suddenly he stopped talking, as someone joined his solitude, about twelve feet away from him. Do many people come here, abeoji? Are you lonely sometimes, as well? I should have visited here more often, and regularly. Maybe I should visit you every Saturday, huh? Just then, he noticed a few more people coming about fifty metres away. I should visit you earlier, next week. Maybe I could catch up with Hyoyeon as well when she visit you next week.

Suho stood up and dusted off his coat. However, he caught something at his peripheral vision. The person who broke his solitude moment was a girl, and apparently, is holding a very familiar book as she read aloud with a familiar voice, “I called it a nine because I was saving my ten.”

He believed that when you stare at a person too much, that person could feel your eyes on them. But even if he knew the next thing that might happen, he didn’t tear his gaze away from the girl because of the familiar aura that she radiates off.

“Suho-sshi?” The girl asked, gaining familiarity with the stranger who bore holes against her skin. The girl hurriedly straightened from her position, and smiled at him before bowing. Suho bowed to her in return.

“I-I… “ His voice trailed off. Why am I stuttering? “Seohyun-sshi.”

“I can’t believe this! I was just thinking about you.” She said.

“You were?”

“I finished the book.” She raised the book he bought for her. “I was just reading my parents my favourite line from it.”

“Parents?” He asked. Then, he walked towards her and he saw the engraved writings on the stone. He deeply bowed at them before turning to his friend.

“Yeah… Well, it started off as a kid; my dad would ask me my favourite part in the book, just to check if I really read it. And, it became sort of a habit, telling them bits of information from school books, lines, and quotations from novels, even when they left me.” She said.

“How long has it been?” He asked her.

“I hate maths so I can’t tell. It’s been a while, though. Just before high school they got in an accident. They were travelling around that time, but accidents happen all the time.” She said. “My grandparents are the ones who raised me since then.”

“I’m sorry.” He said.

“You don’t have to. I was a kid back then, and I was really sad. But now that I think of it, at least I am proud to say that they taught me everything I need to know about life before they left me.” She said.

“So, you’ve finished reading the book?” He asked, changing the subject.

“Yeah, I did.” She shyly said before laughing. “You must think I am weird, huh?”

“A little.” He admitted.

“Your father?” Seohyun suddenly asked, eyeing the spot he’s been earlier.

“Yeah.” He said as the girl stood up and walked over to his father’s tomb. Seohyun bowed but she said nothing right after. He told her, “I’m sorry, I must have bothered you.”

“No, not at all. I only came by to tell about my favourite line.” She said. “To tell you the truth, I was planning on catching the movie right after. It was a good book. Do you want to see it?”

“What was it about?” He asked her.

“Cancer perks.” She said.

“What? Who would write something about cancer perks?” He asked.

“You don’t want to see it?” She asked. He stared at her, but he found himself in the same situation again when she used her innocent-looking eyes to convince him. She had the most innocent looking pair of eyes. Although he knew that she is not as innocent as her appearance, he still fell for it.

“I guess it’ll be fun.” He shrugged.

After they bid their parents goodbye, the two friends went towards his car and started driving towards the theatre. While driving, their conversation went on discussing about the plot of the story, at the same time arguing about the novel being about cancer perks.

“Well, if you think about it, the story itself is a cancer perk. It was sold because it is about cancer. People like it because it is about cancer. If the character didn’t have cancer, the readers wouldn’t have sympathized on her.” She argued.

“So, the book itself is a cancer perk.” He said.

“Exactly.” She said.

Just then, they came to a stop and they went out of the car. They got in a surprisingly long line for the tickets. Seohyun whispered to him, “I told you it is a cancer perk.” Suho rolled his eyes at her. He used to think that she is a kind, non-judgmental person, but it turns out she criticizes indifferently.

Soon after minutes of waiting, his companion groaned. She turned to him and said, “Hey, let’s watch How to Train You Dragon 2 instead.”

“Are you serious? Only kids watch it.” He said, suddenly looking at the posters hanged on the walls.

“I really liked the first movie, and actually, I am kind of torn between where to spend my money right now.” She confessed.

“Well, you did read the book, maybe you don’t have to see it anymore.” He said, making a point, however, the girl remained frowning. “Are you really dying to see this Shailene Woodley?”

“Yes. No. Maybe. I don’t know!” She said. Then suddenly, she realized that he remembered about it. “You remembered her name!” She exclaimed.

“Let me get this straight. You want to watch this because of the actress. And you want to watch the other because of the story. Right?”

“Yeah.” She said.

“Then, let’s watch the other one.” He said.

“Are you sure?” She asked. “You said it is for children.”

“You know what? Here is the payment for the tickets. I’ll go buy popcorns.” He said, handing her the money. However, he took it back to give her a smaller change, recalling about the girl’s attitude about paying for her own. “What flavour do you want?”

“Anything but cheese.” She said.

“You don’t like cheese?” He asked.

“Not on popcorn.” She said. Then, he patted her head as he got off the line and went away to buy popcorns. When he got them, Seohyun was holding two tickets to the animation film. “I got the best seats!” She squealed as they went inside the cinema along with the kids who are with their parents.

After the movie, they drove around Seoul as they looked for the perfect place to have lunch. Suho figured out that his friend is a health conscious person. She doesn’t like to eat fast food and street food because she believes that they kill people. Suho understands her, because he used to be a Medicine student after all. He had studies about the unhealthy foods and its by-products. After driving to nowhere for almost half an hour, Seohyun suggested they have lunch in her house and make him the healthiest food from their kitchen.

“You see the farthest roof from here? That’s my house.” Seohyun pointed at a two-storey house with a huge lawn in front. It was a huge and beautiful house. It was not supposed to be that much of a surprise to Suho since they entered a rich and known neighbourhood in a less urban area of the city, but he can’t believe that she would be pointing at the most extravagant looking house in the whole area. “And that is my grandfather there.” She pointed at an elder who was washing a car outside the house.

“Your house is pretty big.” He said.

“Are you kidding me? It’s enormous.” She said as they parked the car. “So, what is your favourite dish?” She asked.

“It’s up to you; you’re the picky one here.” He said.

“Oh, come on! Stop teasing me! My grandmother usually prepares the best bibimbap for me. She could cook so well but she chose to be a teacher just like you. Have I mentioned she was Dean from College of Education?” She said.

“No way.” He said.

“Yes way.” She smiled.

On the outside, Seohyun briefly introduced Suho to her grandfather but he could tell that he was a cheerful old fellow, making him worry less as they walk up the marble staircase. Before Seohyun could open the door for them, Suho pulled her and said, “Hey, I’m kind of nervous right now.”

“Don’t be.” She laughed.

As they stepped inside, the first thing he saw was a painting of middle school Seohyun along with her parents hung on the wall. From afar, he could see the backyard through the big windows. They turned left to the living room, and Seohyun made him sit down, unrelentingly appreciating the beautiful interiors of the Seo residence. From where he is sitting, he could see a grand piano on the other room, while the living was connected to the kitchen, which is connected to the spacious dining hall where the view to the backyard was.

Seohyun came back with an apron hung on her neck. “You think that I am one of those intimidating rich spoiled brats, don’t you?”

“What? No!” He said.

“Okay, then! It turns out that my grandmother is in the University. I guess you won’t be able to meet her today.” She said.

“It’s all right.” He said.

“Come, let’s go to the kitchen!” She said, pulling him with her to the most elegant looking kitchen Suho has ever seen in his life. He watched cooking contests in the television, but he never saw beautiful kitchens in reality. “Have I mentioned I also took a small class in Culinary Arts?”

“You never mentioned, but it is no surprise.” He said, making her giggle.

Suho helped her prepare the ingredients, but she was the one who did the cooking. She prepared lots of stir-fried vegetables and delicious-looking beef, good for more than three people. He met Seohyun’s grandfather during the lunch, and he could tell that she got her spirits from him.

He hasn’t met her grandmother, but he assumed that she is sweet and kind as well, seeing the lovely environment Seohyun grew up with. Despite the extravagance that he could see inside and outside their house, the Seo’s are really kind at heart explaining the classic modesty Seohyun gives off no matter how weird and down-to-earth she is.

 


 

I can't believe I actually wrote one whole chapter without Sunny in it. It's part of moving on, not only on Suho's part but ours as well. I forgot to tell you guys that this is no longer a love story about Sunny and Suho and more of a story about Suho and his adventures in life. I removed the romance tag but I forgot to tell you guys, so I am really sorry that the series of events were unexpected. But on the brighter side, he is starting to get back on his feet, and can you smell that his relationship with his brother will be repaired soon?

I am sorry that I broke all your hearts, making you fall in love with HoNny but Sunny chose Kris instead. We will get more on that side on the next chapter where we will see Sunny again. I initially wrote this as HoNny, and you guys subscribed for them, and I am pretty sure that everyone as of now is expecting that Suho and Seohyun will end up together. As I said previously, this story will end soon, in about 2-3 more chapters, so please, stay with me until the end. But if you are heavily against the idea of what is happening right now, I can't really stop you from leaving, can I? It's okay, I understand. Life is full of drama, and so is this story.

 

 

Buuuuut let me give you an idea of what is going to happen on the next chapter...

 

 

... No, they are not getting married, but Sunny is. Drama coming.