Genesis & Honeys

Faint Limelight

1997

It is one sunny spring when the whole neighbourhood was buzzing with excitement of welcoming the new people who will live just across the fence. They said that they are rich but very kind people, like the Jungs. That is why everyone is thrilled to meet them.

My brother and I were watering the plants in the back yard. And then after a couple of minutes, came the old truck of the family. We were immediately called by my mom inside so we could back pies for them. I was only six at that time, so my brother and sister did all the work. But I didn’t get the logic as Hyoyeon is older than me by only a year! In result, I just stayed outside, sitting on our porch, watching the Lees move around their house.

I found them fascinating as they have no old people with them. Only the father, the mother, and their three children are there, which is also fascinating because they are all girls. The two oldest girls, I couldn’t set them apart because they looked equally mature to me. They are pretty girls, I should admit. I think my brother might like them, too. He’s easily attracted to pretty girls, and would probably want to be friends with them.

Now the youngest one is pretty amusing! She just ran around every corner of the house. I could hear her, that’s why, and I could see her ran speedily room by room as I watched through the windows. I thought to myself, that we couldn’t be friends although we are the only ones in our age in the whole town. Well, Jessica is older than me even though we’re in the same grade so I don’t consider her my age. This new kid, I think we’re just the same age, but I wouldn’t ever play with her.

Or so I thought.

She is clumsy, loud, and so cheerful. The very opposite of me! I am neat, smart, and just quiet. I would never want to be friends with her. But the thing is, she was scolded by her older sister because of her playfulness, and then she just stayed by the porch, just like me. And then I thought maybe we could be friends.

Again, or so I thought.

She found me looking at her. And her gloomy face turned cheerful once again. It’s as if the whole universe conspired to her, and the sun got into my eyes, hurting me in the process, and the new girl made her way to me, dangerously making her way to me.

I was nervous. She had this knowing smile in her face that I badly want to rip off. But the thing is, she is adorable in a way. She had white skin, but I think my skin is still whiter. Her long wavy hair didn’t help, making her look like the scary woman from this Japanese horror movie Hyoyeon once decided to show to me. All except her small eyes, playfully becoming smaller through her eye glasses as she spoke her first words to me.

“Hi! My name is Lee Soonkyu, but you can call me Sunny. I am seven.” She told me in her high pitched voice. I hated that voice. And then she raised her fingers and made a seven.

She is seven. She is not my age.

But she became my best friend that day because of what she said next.

“I just turned seven today! What is your name?”

 

2014

“You know, it isn’t every now and then that I get to meet a friend of Sunny unnie. My name is Seo Joohyun.” The girl said, and they went out of the bookstore together. “And you are?”

“Kim Joonmyeon also known as Suho.” The boy offered his hand and Joohyun took it.

“Oh, so you are Suho.” Joohyun said, gaining familiarity with his name.

“You knew me?” Suho asked, surprised that a not-entirely-total stranger would know his name.

“No, but I heard about you, a lot.” Joohyun said.

“Is that so? How are you related to Sunny?”

“I am a friend of Krystal.”

“I see… So, do you want to grab some coffee together?”

“Sure! I know a really good one.” Joohyun said and they walked together.

 

1999

Today is the 18th. Sunny said that we should celebrate because it is Honey Appreciation Day. I don’t understand her, really. I think there is no such thing as Honey Appreciation Days. I woke up late, but she isn’t present in our meeting place. She told me that we will meet just behind the Jung’s backyard, but she is nowhere to be found. I could only hear the Jung sisters playing, and I was there, as if I committed a crime, hiding behind their fence.

When I finally stood up, that is when someone caught my attention. I looked beyond the Jung’s fence and I saw Sunny and Jessica running around their backyard. I was annoyed, because I spent minutes there, alone, waiting for her, and now I see her playing with Jessica. I was really about to cry, but then someone else saw me, and I got their attention.

“Joonie oppa!” It was Krystal. She is a year younger than me, but Sunny allowed her to play with us, and Jessica, too, because Sunny really likes Jessica. Sunny told me that they owned a ranch, and they moved in the neighbourhood so they could attain higher level of education, and she really liked Jessica because she looks so pretty and like a Barbie doll. So in times like this, all four of us are playing. But today, Sunny said that it is a special day only for us, so I thought that we are the only ones celebrating today.

“Oh? Joonmyeon, why are you so silent? Come inside so we can start!”  Sunny called over, and Krystal swung a broken fence so that I could sneak in. By the time I get in, we all ran inside because Mrs Jung is calling for us.

We were in the dining room, and we sat, waiting for something coming that I don’t know. Mrs Jung then gave us all our own spoons. All the three girls are excited and Sunny being the loudest as always. When Mrs Jung came back with a bottle of golden liquid, they all started going crazy and Jessica started talking. It was honey, okay.

“Today we celebrate Honey Day, and at the same time, Sunny and Joonmyeon’s birthdays!” Jessica said, and Krystal and Sunny cheered. “Since we can’t celebrate your birthdays, we will celebrate it today! It’s a win-win situation. We will celebrate your birthdays at the same time Honey Day!”

“I turned nine three days ago, and Joonmyeon is turning nine three days by now. So it is a happy day for us all!” Sunny said, and now I see the reason why we are celebrating today. We all know that we can’t celebrate together because we would be with our families, but now is the best day indeed!

After we took a spoonful of honey, Sunny proposed that we go to the park about a block from the Jung’s. But Mrs Jung said that Jessica and Krystal aren’t allowed to stay out after three, so they have to go back before three o’ clock. And so, Sunny and I stayed in the park.

I wasn’t always the happy type of kid who runs around all the time because I am afraid of getting hurt in the process of being too much happy. And that’s what happened when Sunny got tripped by a rock, and she fell. And she had wounds on both of her legs.

“Does it hurt a lot?” She asked me.

“I should be the one asking you that.” I told her.

“Am I heavy?” She asked. I carried her in my back because she told me that she can’t walk. She said it is painful. And from the looks of it, it’s really bad, so I carried her instead.

“Yes, you are.” I said while laughing.

“I’m sorry.” She said truthfully.

“You don’t need to be sorry. I’ll be here to protect everyone from all harm. I am the prince, remember?” I said.

“I think you’ll suit more as guardian angel. And I will play as prince from now on. I have many scars of bravery, unlike you. Your skin is so soft and white, like an angel. So you will be our guardian angel from now on.” She reasoned.

“But I want to be the prince.”

“No, it’s just the perfect role! I am tired of being the bad witch all the time. It’s time I become the prince. Jessica is the queen as always, because she likes to be queen. And Krystal is the princess. And you are our guardian. Besides, you fight like a girl. You don’t have the character of a prince charming.”

“Then who will be the bad one?”

“I don’t know. Why don’t we ask Hyoyeon to join us? She is your sister after all… Oh! I got it! From now on, we will call you Suho. It’s just perfect because today is Honny Day!” I laughed because it was so funny at that time.

“You still say it wrong.” I said. Ever since yesterday, she pronounced honey as honny. Jessica kept telling her the right diction but she just doesn’t care. She is probably the most stubborn person I’ve ever met.

“I don’t care, Honny Day is the best day. Don’t forget, okay? May 18th is Honny Day!”

 

That day I become Suho.

And May 18th is our day.

 


 

Author's Note: I'm sorry if I kept you guys waiting ; ~ ; Here is the first chapter! I hope you like it!