Revelations for Photographer Lee

It Will Always Be You

It’s 8pm and Hongbin is all alone in the dorm. Hyuk had been going back late for two weeks already. The younger said he’s currently working on his final requirement with his group on a subject but Hongbin thinks otherwise. He knows he’s not seeing things when he catches up on Hyuk coming back in the dorm with a wide smile plastered on his face. Shouldn’t he be stressed since he’s working on a hard task considering he’s working on it every night? It basically eats up his time to rest, play his favorite video game and time to watch his forever favorite Naruto. He knows that Hyuk wouldn’t trade Naruto for the world. What makes Hyuk stay up so late with his group mates when he knows that he can do it alone all in one day? What? What could it be?

But maybe Hongbin asks the wrong question. Maybe it should be ‘who’.

Soon enough, the door opened revealing Hyuk who is once again, wearing a wide, meaningful smile on his face.

“Oh, hi hyung! I didn’t expect you to be eating cereal at this late hour. Weird.” Hyuk is in his unusual happy tone. Hongbin’s growing suspicions.

“What’s with you?” Hongbin asked before Hyuk can open the door of his room.

“What do you mean hyung?”

Hongbin got up and walked up in front of Hyuk and pointed his finger on the face of the latter. “Your lips had been smiling too much for the past weeks.”

“What? Am I forbidden to smile? Hyung, you’re being weird. Is that what becomes of being married?”

“You know what I’m talking about, Hyuk. C’mon, spill it out. What’s with you?”

“Nothing, hyung! Everything’s pretty normal.”

“I do not believe you.”

“When did you ever believe me? Well, you do but…whatever! Nothing’s wrong with me, ok? Let’s both live happily. You with Naeun noona and me with…Sakura! Goodnight, hyung!”

Hyuk opened the door and entered his room.

“He is way too weird.” Hongbin told himself.

***

Hongbin is gently wiping the lens of his camera with a delicate, silk cloth, making sure that no traces of dirt will be left behind. Afterwards, he took a sip of his iced americano when the door opened revealing Hyuk who looks like he just came back from his classes.

“Hey, hyung. I’ll be out for a while.”

“Where are you going?”

“Umm…” Hyuk searched his brain for an unsuspicious excuse but he came up with nothing.

“Hey Hyuk I’m asking you.”

“Naeun noona is going back home. She asked me to come with her.”

Hongbin was surprised. Going back home? Why? Is she not coming back? Why so sudden? Why didn’t she tell him? A sudden panic attacked Hongbin inside for a reason he actually not sure with.

“Why is she going home?”

Hyuk shook his head. “Can’t tell.”

Hongbin gave a weird look. “Han Sanghyuk, what is the reason?”

“I promised I won’t tell.” Then Hyuk raced to the door and got out quickly, leaving Hongbin with no answer. He got his phone and dialed Naeun’s number right away but he got no answer. He goes outside and went to Naeun’s unit who is just next to his and knocked. Again, no answer came. The door is even locked. He called Hyuk but even the kid didn’t answer.

***

Hongbin woke up early the next morning. He knew that Hyuk didn’t come back for that kid knows that he’ll just be bombarded with questions. Today is actually sort of a big day for Hongbin. He was asked by the adviser of the Photography Club in their university if he can be the photographer in a photo shoot for an upcoming competition. If he wasn’t mistaken, it’s a pageant or something like that. He totally forgot.

He came at the studio an hour before the shoot. The staffs are already setting up the place, placing the lights in the proper position and putting up the right backdrop. From a corner he saw the professors who are in-charge of the event. He said his greeting and talked to the coordinator regarding the concept of the shoot.

After that, he prepared his beloved camera that he decided to use for the shoot. He was busy changing the camera setting when he heard a familiar voice talking to one of the professors.

“Gyosoonim, here’s your coffee.”

“Thank you, Sanghyuk.”

Hongbin turned around and he wasn’t mistaken. Hyuk is really there, passing around coffees to all the professors. Hyuk noticed Hongbin, making him almost spilling the coffee to one of the professors.

“Hongbin hyung! W-what are you doing here?”

“I think I should I ask you the same question.”

 

***

“Ok, what?”

“I have been working as a student assistant.” Hyuk answered in full smiles, opposite from Hongbin’s face full of confusion.

“Hyuk, is your family going through a crisis or something? You know, I can help.”

“What the hell, hyung! Of course, not! I’m fine; I just need some extra cash.”

Hongbin’s suspicions are starting again. “Extra cash for what?”

Hyuk’s eyes began to move from left to right. He’s not even looking straight at Hongbin. He looks as if he is guilty of something that Hongbin should never ever have to know.

“Hey Hyuk can you—“The door of the dressing room opened, revealing a Naeun, with full make-up and costume related to the concept of the said photo shoot.

“Hongbin, what are you doing here?” Naeun asked Hongbin in full shock.

Hongbin’s head started to ache. First, Hyuk and now Naeun. These two didn’t even say anything why they left last night and now he was surprised to see the cousins today. Naeun and Hyuk sure have some explaining to do.

Hongbin dragged Naeun in a corner, far enough for others not to hear.

“What are you doing here and why are you dressed like that?” Hongbin looked at Naeun, down to her sparkling blue gown matched with silver stilettos which look approximately four inches high. Naeun kept looking at the ground, avoiding Hongbin’s gaze.

“I… I’m the university’s representative for Ms. Tourism.” Naeun answered in her low voice but its audible enough for Hongbin to hear and understand the whole situation.

Ache started to wave in Hongbin’s head once more. Why in the world Naeun didn’t tell her about it? Why did she keep it from him? And how did Hyuk managed to hide all the information from him? He looked at the younger kid who is sitting at the other corner of the studio staring at them but looked away immediately as Hongbin shot his death glare.

“You could have given me a hint about this, you know? So that I won’t be surprised like this.”

“I don’t have intentions of letting you know.”

Hongbin raised his eyebrows. “And why is that so?”

“Because of him.” Naeun looked behind Hongbin, making the latter turn around. He saw Jaehyo who just got inside the studio, wearing a coat and a tie which compliment the color of Naeun’s gown.

And Hongbin finally understood the whole situation. But instead of getting angry, a smile slowly crept up his lips.