Charades

THE LAIR - BOOK1: FORBIDDEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Stop crying..."

 

 

"Yah stop crying! You're here every other month and yet you're still not used to it?"

 

 

"What do you care about me? I don't need your sympathy."

 

 

"Crying won't save you. You're just making it harder for your father."

 

 

"I don't need your opinion."

 

 

"I'm stating  fact. Tsch... Oh... By the way... Here."

 

 

"What's this?"

 

 

"Carnations, don't you know?"

 

 

"I know these are carnations! I mean... Why are you giving them to me?"

 

 

"I don't know. Why? Can't I? I saw those on my way here."

 

 

"Thank you. They're pretty."

 

 

"Just like someone I know..."

 

 

"Sorry?"

 

 

"Nothing!  Aisht!"

 

 

"You're weird."

 

 

"Look who's taking. Yah... Do you know those can tell a girl's fortune?"

 

 

"These carnations? For real?"

 

 

"Yeah. They say you just have to put three flowers in a girl's hair then it's status can determine her fortune."

 

 

"How?"

 

 

"Well if the top one dies, the last years of her life will be hard. If the middle one wilts first, her young days will be difficult... But if the bottom flower should die first, then she's told that her whole life will be miserable!"

 

 

"Aisht! You seriously believe that? Yah... Young sir... Where are we? In Joseon???"

 

 

"Yah Tokki... I was just trying to share you some knowledge."

 

 

"Yah! Stop calling me that way!"

 

 

"Tokki..."

 

 

"Yah!"

 

 

"You won't give me your name. I'll call you that way."

 

 

"Aisht! Suit yourself then!"

 

 

"Yah Tokki..."

 

 

"What now???"

 

 

"I think they're here...They're coming..."

 

 

"Stay... Please... Don't leave..."

 

 

"I won't. I'm not leaving,"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

****************


I shake my head as I pick up a pink carnation flower I've been staring at for a while now. For some weird reasons it brought back a vivid dream... Something I was able to recall clearly despite my confused state.

 


"Hi."

 

I let out at squeak as I absentmindedly let go of the flower I'm holding when I heard that familiar low hushed husky voice. I clutch my chest, unable to say anything while I stand trying to catch my breath.

 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." he apologizes while I slowly turn to see him and as soon as I was able to, my mouth goes dry.

 

Holy mother of God. Pray for my weak soul!

 

"Ssandara-ssi, are you alright?" 


Am I alright? Am I alright???

 

"Huh? Oh..." I lower  my head and tuck my hair behind my ears. Damn it. It seems like he prepared so much for this just to tease me! 

 

He's in  charcoal gray suit, white dress shirt no tie in short, he's wearing something that never in my wildest dreams I thought he'd wear. I also think he had his hair dyed in a darker shade of brown and he had it fixed away from his eyes so that when he looks your way, he'd easily bore deep holes straight into your soul.

 

Man... He looks dashing... And y... And hot... And...


Dangerous. 


I can sense danger just by seeing him like this. I need to get a grip of myself. And at the back of my head, Seunghyun's voice keeps sounding: Don't let your guards down, no matter what.

 

"I'm fine. I'm... Fine, yes. Why won't I be? I was just not expecting you, behind me... And... So suddenly... Yeah." I try to blink my unease away.

 

"I'm sorry I made you wait for me. I just needed to get that call."

 

"It's okay. I made you wait for me too." I force a smile at him and that's the only time I noticed how grave his face is. Did I say something wrong? He turns away and picks the carnation on the floor.


"Did you like it?"


"Huh? Oh..." I take a look around the vast dimly lit room. All corners are filled with flowers and there is only a table for two. I would have considered it the perfect atmosphere for a marriage proposal but I need to constantly remind myself that these are all fake. This date is fake.


And everything that this man is doing is fake.

 

"I'm... I'm impressed." I smile at him.

 

"I'm glad you are. Let's take a seat?" he offers his hand which I take without any hesitation.

 

"Let us,"

 

Dinner is going fine, so far. We had fresh scallops then some arugula salad and tuna steak which I am really thankful for because I don't think my stomach can handle anything heavy for a meal. I've been as nervous as hell since I have seen him but I'm trying my best to get by. The only problem I think is me unable to get my hands off that Pinot Noir red wine. I need something to warm me. I'm starting to get cold and blame this tiny royal blue strapless dress I'm wearing. 

 

Oh. So much for trying to distract a heartless bastard.

 

Here's the thing. How come I can't take my eyes off him while he keeps on focusing on his food not even caring to throw me a look the moment we started our dinner?

 

"I suppose you're living on your own." he suddenly blurts without looking at me as if his food looks more interesting than me.

 

"Y-y-es... I am." I take another sip of my wine but in the corner of my eye I can see him smirking. . I didn't say anything wrong, did I?

 

"Why? I mean, where are your parents?" he asks, now finally setting his creepy eyes on me that I need to look away uncomfortably.

 

"They... They're not here anymore. They already passed away. My mom died while giving birth to me... And dad died when I was in Senior high." 


"Sorry to hear that. It must be hard living on your own."


"It's quite hard... But I got used to it..."


"Doesn't it scare you staying in Seoul? You see, this place isn't as safe to live in as it used to be... Especially for a fine lovely young woman like you." the way he scanned me from top to bottom didn't escape my eyes. I scoff at him.


Fine lovely young woman my ! Think you'll sell out by complimenting me???You didn't even consider making love to me before coz I'm a ing !!!


Well... Let me explain... I didn't mean to sound so mad... It's not that I wanted it or I was hoping for it but... Okay! I somehow felt excited about it and I was on the verge of giving it up but then this bastard told me he doesn't s and that kind of pissed me off.

 

Are s really undesirable? How come he made it look like s are disgusting when the truth is I'm so pure?


Well... Except for my thoughts.

 

"You're saying something?" he leans over the table making me widen my eyes as I clamp my mouth. I point at myself, my other hand still securely keeping my careless mouth from getting me into further trouble.


"Me?" I ask in horror and he nods, his expression still blank. I shake my head.


"Nothing! I was humming a song!"


"Oh..." the corner of his lips twitches to a smirk. . Did I really speak out loudly what's in my head???


"I thought I heard you were saying something about you being a ..."


"Yah!" I let go of my knife and fork with a loud clank. "I told you I was humming a song! You know that... That... Like a oooh! Touched for the very first time? That one! Just because... Because... I heard it on my way here!"


Silence. There is suddenly this awkward silence around us and in my head are crickets bugging me. I am looking at him the whole time and he was looking back at me and I think this is the first time I've seen him dumbfounded.

 

Oh... Can I be more defensive??? I realize I am standing, glowering down at him while trying to defend my embarrassing stupid mouth. I bet Madonna's eyeing me sideways for using her song as a lame excuse.

 

"Oh... I...see." he finally recovers from my sudden outburst. "Please sit down,"

 

"I'm sorry..." I mutter, lightly running my fingers through my hair that was stuck in my forehead with sweat and gently tucking it behind my ears. 

 

There goes my poise, all sinking down to drain. I knew it. I should've just kept my mouth shut. I sit down helplessly and gulp down the remaining wine in my glass.

 

"You can freely speak what's on your mind, Sandara-ssi. That way I'd get to know you better."

 


Know me better? Or hear me slip and spill that I know the bastard before me is none other than Kwon Jiyong? I had to fight the urge to roll my eyes at him.

 

"But please..." I whip my head towards him when he spoke once more. Please what?


"Please let's take things slow..."


"W-w-hat?" I can't believe what I am hearing right now. 


"You are already worried about those things but... It's just our first date. I respect you. I won't rush things. I'm not into one night stands. But I promise I'll try to be gentle when we get there." he says, twirling his tongue after putting a stress in each and every word that he said that it made me swallow a little too hard and ungirly coz of anticipation rather mad as hell that I should be after hearing those words from him coz he thinks I'm easy.

 

I huff in disbelief. I really can't believe this! I want to punch him right on his face but my body feels so hot and stiff. I want to get mad at him... But what do I do when something in me is yearning for his words that sounded so much like a promise in my ears??? 

 

"Seungri-ssi..." I am gritting my teeth which might fall loose if I don't quit doing it. I am seething with anger. I'm mad at him. And I'm mad at myself too for getting really affected by him.

 

"Yes?" I can't believe he just looked at me innocently! He's really a great actor I must say but I'm not buying it.


"I think you got it  all wrong."


"Oh really? I did?"

 

"How can you speak about things like that!"

 

"You did it first." he says in a matter-of-factly.

 

"I clearly said I didn't say anything like what you are trying to point out! You must be mistaken–"

 

"I get it... Okay then... If you say so..." he brings on his innocent facade once more and I snort as I look away, trying to control my temper. I need to make an excuse and get the hell away from here. But what kind of excuse can I use?

 

"So right now you're living on your own..." he finally switches back to our previous wholesome topic and I sigh in relief. I think my cheeks have turned so red coz I can feel heat rushing up to it and I don't really think I can keep myself calm if he starts teasing me again. 


"Yes." I answer briefly.


"You live in that unit alone..." he asks and the waiter comes back with another bottle of wine an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter