A Taste Of Sympathy

THE LAIR - BOOK1: FORBIDDEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

I wince at the feel of the tight rope around my wrists as I struggle to breakfree. It cuts through my skin, biting on my flesh and it's painful. 


I don't know how long I have been spending inside this dark basement where the muscled guy took me. The wounded guy... What was his name again? Jiyong... Yes, Jiyong. He fired two warning shots that made me stiffen to my spot. Perhaps the young guy took him inside the shelter because the next thing I felt was being crushed in the big guy's arms and up until now my muscles and bones feel so tender. He stopped me from moving, tied my hands behind me together and threw me down here. I fought back, but he was much much stronger. I can still feel the sting on my cheek and I can still taste and smell the dried blood on my lips. It's cold in here  and maybe they're just waiting for me to die or something.


The hay beneath me warms me but it's itchy. How long will I stay here?


I shook my head.


How long will it be before they do to me what they did to Daesung?


Goosebumps start to appear on my skin while a voice at the back of my mind blames me.


That's what you get Park Sandara.

 

I purse my lips. I just wanted to find my necklace that's all! But I have to admit.
I didn't use my head. I've been reckless. Impulsive.


Maybe a part of my sensible self was lost when I banged my head. Right. And right now I feel like a criminal waiting for my death sentence to come.


"Aaaarrrgghhhh!!!"


Another howl of pain pierces through the night and my thoughts went blank again. I find myself looking up the tiny spaces between the wooden floor and I am startled by another cry, this time it's more suppressed. . I think guy number three is getting his wound attended to.

 

"Dr. Park will not make it tonight. You have to bear it. Seungri was able to take the bullet out. A few more stitches, okay?" 


Dr. Park. That rings a bell. Right... I remember the Choi brothers' conversation. Yes. I wonder who the person is to them... And to these aids.


It was the buffy guy who is speaking and he is trying to calm the wounded one and I am once again in awe of the concern in his voice. He looks savage and this is how they are. But they seem to act as brothers. 


And a name... I try to recall the name he just said. Seungri... Is he the younger one? But then I hear someone speaking again and I hush my thoughts.


"How could I entrust my life to a traitor?" Jiyong, I think that's him by the way he hisses, his breath becoming more shallow. He just confirmed my guess.


"Hyung, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry," I feel a tugging pain inside my chest. That must be Seungri and he seems like he is crying.

 

And this is all my fault. But he did me wrong too,  right? He stalked  me, followed me... Even eavesdropped on us... I bite my lip. Maybe Seunghyun and CL are already worried about me by the moment. And perhaps Seunghyun is blaming himself...


"I'll deal with you later," Jiyong's voice is strained, husky and sounds weak. But it sounds more like a threat than a warning.

 

"Hyung!"

 

"Tie him up,"

 

"H-h-ey... Dude..."

 

"Youngbae, I'm serious,"


Silence filled the room for a moment and I find myself holding my breath. These people kill. They do not know mercy. But I am dumbfounded at the fact that they can kill their own member too. 


"Tie him up,"


"Dude, look... I know you're mad but... Hey! Sit the down! Damn it! Okay! Okay!  I'll do it!"

 

This is sick. I know that Jiyong must be really mad but... Wait. So the other guy is Youngbae!

 

"Hyung... Don't do this to me!" Seungri pleads and it sends a pinch deep down inside me.

 

"I'll decide on what to do with you and that..." I find myself holding my breath. "...that woman later." his voice falters.

 

*******

 

"Hey, ," I slide farther back to the corner of the room when Youngbae suddenly entered the basement. It's dark but the light that escapes from the small spaces between the wooden floor above us allow me to see the man's eyes squinting into tiny slits.


"W-w-hat do you want?" I swallow hard. He looks mad. Impatient. His fists are closed to tightly, his muscles clenching. He is gritting his teeth, his jaw tightening while I breathe quickly and shallowly.

 

"So... They didn't do the part of the deal," he swaggers my way.

 

"What do you mean?"


"You didn't forget. You still know everything. Why's that?"


"It's... It's because of the concussion I got. They said it's too risky to give me the drug. Believe me!"


"Traitors,"


"I'm telling the truth! Seungri even knows!"


"He even told you his name,"


"He did not! I just heard it... I just overheard your conversation," I lower my gaze.

 

"You said you found something earlier. What is it?"


"My necklace. I woke up in the hospital and it was missing. Nobody there has seen it."


"So you used our member? You took advantage of his vulnerability?"

 

I hang my mouth open. Used who?  Took advantage of whose vulnerability? Why does he keep on blaming me? I am a victim too!


"For your information, the vulnerable guy you are pertaining to was stalking me! Should I take it as an offense against us too? You guys have so many set of rules but you look just inside your world! You don't care about other people–"


"Nobody cares for us either. All of you... The people outside... The authorities... You live freely. While us, we live in the dark. We live as your shadows... We live to follow orders. Do you know how grave this matter is? The heir can do all he wants to someone... Anyone he considers a traitor. If he decides to eliminate the poor boy, there's nothing I can do about it."


I gasp. My eyes widen as I start to quiver. No... Not Seungri please! 


In my head were flashbacks of our conversations back in the cafe. He wants to see the world. He wants to experience things he was not allowed to. I even asked him why he was on a rush... And told him its not as if he's dying...


I don't know when my tears started to fall down for my cheeks are still numb from all the slaps I got but I can taste it. I shook my head. "You're not killing him, are you?"


Youngbae crouches down before me and grabs my hair. It's painful but my fear for whatever Seungri might endure is something that is troubling me more. I try to wiggle free from his grip but he clutches my hair tighter. I cry in pain but he hisses to my ear.


"If something happens to Seungri... I swear I'll give you a painful death,"

 

He then releases me but his eyes never leave mine. He stands up and goes up, slamming the trapdoor shut.


I shut my eyes as tears trickle down my face. There's no getting away from them. And if ever I survive this, surely, they will make me forget.

 

But I don't want to forget.

 

***********

 

My head is spinning... Swirling... Revolving and making me dizzy as I hear something land on the floor with a thud. I tried to open my eyes but I gasp at the feel of cold water splashed on my face and my eyes automatically blink open by the sound of a faint voice.


Seungri!

 

"Hyung, don't! " he says but my blurry vision could just make out a figure of a man across me, seated on the floor, his hands behind him. As my eyesight adjusts to the light, I realize he's also restrained. 

 

I try opening my mouth to say his name, but my mouth is dry and my throat hurts. I am so thirsty... Tired... And I am starting to feel hungry.


"W-w-ater..." I manage to say. I the few droplets of water on my lips. My clothes are all soaked up and my bones start to shiver in cold. "Please,"


"Hyung no!!!"


Seungri's voice always alerts me but I can't do anything about it. I feel water being poured on to me and it's cold but I somehow manage to catch a few droplets before it stopped. I sense a presence before me and it's Youngbae.


"See that guy," he points at Seungri. "He's on your side. What did you do to him. You drugged him, didn't you?"


I shake my head as I try to move away from him. I tremble as I switch my gaze from Youngbae to Seungri and back to Youngbae.


"I... I didn't– Umphhh!!!" 

 

"HYUNG!!!"


I rolled on the floor as I feel my soul leaving me. I want to clutch my stomach for I feel like my insides are about to explode out of me but my hands are tied I could just curl into a ball. I feel so nauseous but the fact that he's starting to do to me what they did to Daesung, made me wish I'd just pass out. 


"I don't normally hit women but I guess there's always a first time for everything," he walks towards me and I try to drag myself away from him. 


"I didn't... I didn't do anything to him. Believe me... Please..." I sob and choke on my words but I feel him grab my hair, forcing me to face him. 


"HYUNG STOP! STOP THIS PLEASE! SHE'S INNOCENT! SHE WAS JUST LOOKING FOR HER STUFF AND I KEPT STALKING HER SINCE WE SURRENDERED THEM TO THE AUTHORITIES!"


"SHUT UP!" Youngbae shouts back at Seungri. "These people from SKNP can't be trusted! I knew it! They're just using us and now they've sent a spy and you moron,  you fell for their trap! "


"I'm not a spy," I finally manage to say. "Believe me."

 

"I dare you make me believe that," a voice interrupts us. The trapdoor creaks open and a shadow looms over us. He's just wearing a pair of faded jeans and his waist is covered with a thick roll of bandage. He walks past the torch and he throws his cigarette stub. The wounded guy, it's him and I pushed myself back against the corner of the room. There's something about him that sends shivers down my spine and he creeps me out. Maybe he's worse than Youngbae. Maybe this time he's really going to kill me.


"H-hyung ..." I hear Seungri at the other end of the room. "Believe us, please, " he says but Jiyong ignores him completely. He pulls out another cigarette off his pocket and lights it.


"Man, you're still weak," Youngbae blocks his way and talks him to it. I'm definitely sure this Jiyong is more cruel than him. Even Youngbae seems scared of him.


"I feel better," he sits down on a wooden stool. "Get the whip," he casually says and my eyes went round. Holy ! Is he going to lash me or Seungri? I slowly turned to Seungri and his face was painted with worry.  I feel so sorry for him...


And for myself.


"Dude... Calm down," Youngbae taps his shoulder and the man named Jiyong regards me for a moment. His gaze is scrutinizing, as if he's trying to see right through me so I lower my eyes and I look down at my own state. All wet, my hair disshelved, shaking and tied helplessly and I can hear the God of death laughing at me.


I was somehow interrupted from my thoughts when I heard a light chuckle and I lifted my gaze once more only to realize it's from Jiyong. His eyes were still on me but he is talking to Youngbae.


"How could you tell me to calm down when you can't calm the down yourself." he chuckles some more and I think he's pertaining to me and my state. "I didn't know you hit girls." he takes a puff on his stick and blows the smoke my way and I coughed at it.


"What are you planning, Jiyong? " Youngbae asks.


"Just get the whip."

 


********


"AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH!!!" 

 

"STOP!!!" my eyes are already swelling from too much crying, my voice hoarse from too much begging and though it isn't me whose being whipped,  I can feel Seungri's pain.


"Thirteen!" the bastard that is Jiyong shouts and Youngbae helplessly follows his command.


"NOOOOO!!!" I roll to my side and drag myself nearer to the man whose back is now full of wound and blood. Why do I have to witness this? I turn to the man who

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter