Monsters Within Us

THE LAIR - BOOK1: FORBIDDEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Special thanks to xxdeexx for this amazing banner! Kyaaa!

 

*******

 

 

 

It was almost midnight when we reached the place. Seungri said this village is the most preferable after roaming around the outskirts of the city the whole day.

 

  

"Noona, quick!" he was all smiles when he faced me after unlocking the door. He ushers me into the house, almost shoving me inside. It's an apartment on the rooftop of a noodlehouse and he said the owner is an old couple who stays in a room downstairs.

 

 

"You left the lights on?" I ask as I remove my shoes. I bend down to settle it in a corner but then I notice another pair. It looks familiar, a pair of black wedge sneakers, but then that's not the only pair in the world right? 

 

 

Is there another woman here?

  

 

"Yes. I left it on." Seungri says as he locks the door securely. He holds the small of my back and guides me into the living room but I suddenly heard a thud followed by a groan somewhere inside one of the two rooms to my left. 

 

  

"!" Seungri rushes to the first room but looks back at me, holding out his hands, keeping me from going near him. 

  

 

"Wait there, noona! I'll just get hyung's surprise for you ready!"

  

 

He is already gone when I realized my mouth is still hanging open. He was in a panic. I wonder why. And what surprise are they talking about? Aisht... Whatever it is, I'm making sure I'm not going to show Kwon Jiyong that I am pleased. He's going to tease me until I die with shame!

 

 

I bite my lip. Just the thought of his words already makes my cheeks burn!

 

 

I decide to just look around the place. It's not too nice but I think it's just the right size for Jiyong and his men. There are no other furnitures, save for a low dining table, a side table and a cupboard.

 

 

Nothing more.

 

 

Poor Seungri. He must be so tired. And maybe hungry. I'm wondering about Jiyong too. Is he already on his way here?

 

 

I look at the empty cupboards once more then down at my leg. I definitely feel better. My left leg isn't that strong but I'm quite confident I can take a longer walk. Maybe I can buy something from the convenience store and cook for them. 

 

 

I turn on my heels, ready to ask for Seungri's permission, when I suddenly heard another thud followed by a groan. I shuffle my way to the door and lean my ears against it.

 

 

"Damn! Noona's just outside!  I told you I'm telling the truth!"

 

 

 

"How dare you tie me up like this then leave 

"But you won't believe me! I... I had no other choice! Aisht. Now I'm thinking how to untie you without getting myself kicked. Damn. You're so strong for a woman!"

  

 

"Really? Or maybe you're just a little too weak for a man–"

 

 

I gasp in realization. I can't believe my ears.

 

 

Damn! CL's here???

 

 

Without further thinking, I barge into the room and I clamp my mouth when I finally confirmed my guess.

 

 

I catch Seungri nursing his and then there's CL who looks just as gobsmacked as I do. 

 

 

Her hands and legs are tied, exactly the same way how she tied Seungri before.

 

 

"D-d-ara??? Oh my God! It's true! You're really here!" CL's eye widens.

 

  

"N-n-oona..." I turn to Seungri and he shakily straightens up to hold out his hands. "Noona listen!"

 

 

"What exactly is going on here?"

 

 

"This bastard kidnapped me!!!"

 

 

 

"But she won't believe me, noona!!!"

 

 

I switch my gaze from CL to Seungri and I can't believe I'm seeing the exact opposite of what happened inside my apartment almost a month ago.

 

 

I try my hardest, like my hardest to fight the urge to laugh but maybe seeing these two makes it so impossible.

 

 

CL's here. And I find myself shaking my head as I run to her and fling my arms around her.

 

  

Kwon Jiyong definitely knows how to make me happy.

 

 

********

 

 

And... Kwon Jiyong knows no bounds. 

 

 

 

That's what he's proven me tonight. If he likes it then it he must get it. If he wishes for it,  then it must be done.

 

 

At all cost.

 

 

I scolded Seungri a bit for treating CL that way but I am so happy to see my bestfriend that I couldn't stay really mad at him. 

 

 

CL's here,  and we have so much catching up to do.

 

 

But at the back of my head, I am wondering why Jiyong suddenly thought of taking her here.

 

 

I wanted to ask Seungri, too bad he quickly ran out after we untied CL. Maybe because he's still scared CL might do something to get back at him. 

 

 

"Aisht! That bastard! He should wait until I get my hands on him." CL is still stretching her limbs and I just can't suppress my grin. "Yah. Why are you laughing?"

 

 

"I'm sorry... I'm just so happy you're here," 

 

 

"No. I don't think that's the case. I think you're starting to like their barbaric ways!" she scowls at me. "Look at these marks, goddamnit! 

 

  

I scoot closer to her and ease the marks on her wrist. "I'm sorry. I didn't know about this too. I don't even know why Jiyong isn't allowing me to go home yet but I'm guessing it's because of Seunghyun."

 

 

"You think so? Tsch. He's just keeping you by his side because he knows you're head over heels in love with him."

 

 

"CL..."

 

 

"Fine, he's the guy in your dreams,  so what? You believe everything he says now?"

  

 

I take a deep breath and take my hands back to my lap. "I don't want us to argue about this, CL."

 

 

I hear her tick her tongue. She heaves a helpless, defeated sigh and soon she sits closer to me.  "Look... Dara I'm sorry. It's just feel that everything has been so sudden." I feel CL wrap an arm around me. "I'll get used to it too... But I can't promise you this soon."

  

 

"I know." I know CL. I know it will be hard for you to absorb everything right now. Because until now, I feel like I'm drowning in this puddle of revelations. I'm just relying on my instinct. 

 

 

And on how I feel for Kwon Jiyong. 

 

 

"You know what?"

 

 

 

"What?" she asks.

 

  

"I almost reached the lair."

 

"Really???" she scans my face and I nod.

 

"CL... I've learned so many things about the aids. Their history... How they came to be... They've been treated too harshly... As outcasts. And we lower rank officers have no idea about this. What more those ordinary people? And now Seunghyun wants them eliminated."

 

"I am not to judge Seunghyun. I've known him to be a very reasonable man."

 

 

I nod. I couldn't agree more. But if he knows Dr. Bom is there,  then why is he risking her?

 

Doesn't she matter to him anymore?

 

 

"CL... Seunghyun just can't do that. No matter what happens... He just can't, " I face CL and hold her hands. "Seunghyun... He's got a family inside the lair. Under Jiyong's control and care."

 

  

CL's eyes instantly widens. She mouths something then purses her lips before throwing me a WTF look.

 

 

 

And I heave a sigh. I perfectly understand the shock she feels. I've been there. But she needs to know too. I groan in frustration. 

 

 

 

"You're not serious, are you? "

 

 

"Look... I'm telling the truth. Seunghyun knows about Dr. Park Bom joining the lair... But what he doesn't know is that they have a child."

 

  

"Oh. My. God." she mumbles breathlessly and the next moment she starts to shake the hell out of me.

 

 

"Darong??? We have to tell him! "

 

  

"No!!! I mean... Not now! CL..." I glare at her and she abruptly stops and bites her nails.

 

 

"I'm sorry... I... No..  Okay. I'm keeping my mouth shut. But you're not planning to keep it from him forever, right? "

 

 

I nod. "I wish I can tell it to him too. Maybe he'll change his decisions. Besides we're not yet sure if it's really him who trespassed Jiyong's group's shelter."

 

 

"Oh Jesus. I wish I know what Seunghyun is thinking. I suddenly feel like I don't know him at all!"

"Exactly how I feel sometimes. He's been keeping too many things about him from us."

 

 

"And Kwon Jiyong's been not?"

 

 

 

I open my mouth to protest, here she goes again pinning on my Kwon Jiyong, but I hear a sudden clicking on the door that I quickly snapped at CL sending her a message to get herself prepared. We'll never know who it is.

 

 

I stand up lean my ears against the door but I furrow my brows when I hear a laughter.

 

 

It's very heart-warming... An angelic sound that suddenly stilled my heart.

 

 

 

And I realize it is a child's. A little girl's soft giggles followed by a man's.

 

 

Kwon Jiyong? Kwon Jiyong is laughing out loud?

 

 

I quickly open the door only to catch him holding his fist in the air, ready to knock.

 

  

And am I seeing this right? 

 

 

I blink at him and he blinks at me.

 

 

 

"Who is it–" CL peeks behind me and instantly gasps before turning to me.

 

  

Kwon Jiyong is carrying a child. A girl about four. A fair-skinned and brown-haired pretty little doll-like figure. Her chubby arms are wrapped around Jiyong's neck and she looks at me with equal curiosity.

 

 

 Is it her? Seunghyun's daughter?

 

  

Though at first I couldn't find anything similar about the girl to Seunghyun, I realize the color of their eyes are exactly alike when she widens her eyes as if a thought has come across suddenly in  her head.

 

 

Then she looks at me wonderingly.

 

 

 And she tilts her head as she scans my face. 

 

 

"Uncle, is it her?" she asks and Jiyong chuckles and nods.

 

 

"Pweetty!" she exclaims, surprising us all and she claps her hands before whispering something to Jiyong. 

 

  

"Really?" Jiyong asks and my heart melts at his genuine smile. The little girl nods and hugs him.

 

 

Oh God. What I'd give just to witness this sight forever. 

 

 

"Hi." Jiyong finally regards me. He ruffles my hair as if I'm some kind of pet before reaching out to CL for a handshake. "I'm sorry for Seungri's rudeness. I heard you two had a misunder—"

 

 

"Harm's done, lover boy. Besides, my bessie looks all fine thanks to you. So I might try to forget about how that bastard kidnapped me." CL taps Jiyong's hand away making me shake my head. 

 

 

It's going to take some time for her to learn to be nice to him.

 

 

"Oh... By the way... This is Hayi. Hayi... Say hi to them," Jiyong tells the girl and the girl quickly waves her hand at us.

 

 

 

"Hi! I'm Pak Hayi! I'm the Lair's pwinncess!  And this is my king. Uncle king Jwiyongie!" she giggles and hugs Jiyong tightly and I find her so cute I want to pinch her cheeks but when I turn to Jiyong, he looks all red and blushing that I cannot contain my laughter.

 

 

Ooooh... Jwiyongie? Seriously... The head of a group of assassins... Jwiyongie???

 

 

I cover my mouth and turn away, because I might die laughing at him if I see his horrified face but CL's mocking expression greets my view.

 

 

"Tsch. That's cute. Hi. Jwiyongie." 

 

 

And that's all it takes for me to burst out loud into laughter. I clutch my stomach for it starts to hurt but it all changed when I heard Jiyong clearing up his throat and just as soon I felt his stare at me.

 

 

"I see someone's so happy right now. Liked the surprise didn't you?" he smirks at me before eyeing the other room. Damn. I want to wipe that smirk off of his face but it just won't die. He raises his eyebrows, as if he find me so amusing, enjoying my sudden discomfort.

  

 

And I feel like choking. Damn. Just the thought of what he wants...

 

  

I'm already choking.

 

 

"You alright?" CL asks and I pat my chest.

 

 

"I'm fine... I am... Don't worry." I catch my breath but then I feel so suddenly hot that I start to fan my face.

 

 

And damn. The bastard before me is grinning triumphantly.

 

 

Just then the door bursts open and we all snap to the direction. 

 

 

Minzy comes in with bags in each of her hands while Seungri is carrying two more. I hear them bickering and Seungri would mimick Minzy right behind her. 

 

  

I was still watching them with so much interest until Hayi exclaimed "Mommy!"

 

  

And my eyes find a beautiful woman with a golden brown hair, doll-like, just exactly as her daughter.

 

 

 

And I immediately tell myself this must be, Park Bom.

 

 

Yes. Dr. Park Bom... Choi Seunghyun's girlfriend?  Wife?

 

 

What does Jiyong need them for here?

 

 

The woman dashes her way to Hayi and she rubs the girl's cheeks lovingly. "You're giving uncle Jiyong a hard time, baby. Come here." She takes Hayi from Jiyong and settles her down and soon, I find the woman looking at me then CL, her right hand extended for a shake.

 

 

"I'm pleased to see you again, Sandara, Chaerin. How have you been?"

  

*********

 

Dr. Park said she quickly recognized me way back from our first mission. Kwon Jiyong and his men took us to their shelter and treated our injuries. We also learned  how Seungri volunteered to get his blood checked so as to make sure he was a match for CL's for she said that night, CL terribly lost so much blood. 

 

 

And Seungri almost dug his own grave in front of us when CL asked Dr. Park how she came to know her. Dr. Park was hesitant at first but it was Jiyong who insisted her about answering CL.

 

 

She said Seungri keeps on telling stories about me at first but the next thing she knew, she was hearing how Seungri was in awe of a certain blonde woman who fights so well, even better than Minzy. Hayi attested to it too and said her uncle Seungri wanted to leave the Lair because he doesn't like her aunt Minzy and likes a blonde girl he's always been describing.

 

 

And we all laughed when Minzy defensively said she doesn't like the boy too. But deep inside I start to worry. Just how many people within the lair have been arranged for a marriage they do not want?

 

 

 

I asked Dr. Park a few more questions and at one moment she was like on the verge of spilling things to me. She asked me if I don't recognize her because she said we already met each other back when we were still kids. I tried my hardest to remember but Jiyong suddenly interrupted and told Dr. Park that it might not be good to force me. I wanted to protest but then Minzy already called us for dinner.

 

 

 

It was almost two when we all finished our overly late dinner. Dr. Park brought home cooked foods which we all shared gratefully. During the meal,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter