chapter 7

Imaginary Friend

I stare in awe at the amphitheatre in front of me. It looks like some piece of ancient Greek architecture, except it is somewhat modernized. The whole entire thing is made of stone, except for the panels that hold the lights and protect the stage from the sun.  Although there isn’t any lights on or people on it, the stage still has that brilliance to it as the sunset gives it slight color.

We are still at SM High, but at a totally different building than we were in before. I would think that all performing arts classes are in one building, but no. Apparently there’s a whole other building for theater students, a whole building for orchestra, another building for choir, and so on.

Groaning, I wipe off the sweat that is forming on my forehead. Walking down these few—maybe hundred—steps is very tiring.

Once we finish walking down those hell steps, EXO continues to walk backstage and I stop, not sure if I’m allowed to go in or not. I turn to Jongin with questionable eyes and he smiles, “It’s fine. You can come with us.”

I nod and start walking to where the other boys went. Jongin follows me in, shutting the door behind me once I’m inside.

There are multiple people dressed in all black with headsets running across the room. There’s also some people in front of mirrors, getting their makeup and hair done. EXO heads towards the mirrors and more people dressed in black surround them with microphones, makeup, etc.

I stand next to Jongin, who is in a seat getting his hair done. “You guys sure are just like K-Pop stars.”

Jongin groans, “Stop saying that. Oh, and I saved a seat for you in the front. We’re the last act going up.” He turns his head towards me and hands me a program, then turns his head back to the mirror.

The woman doing Jongin’s hair quickly looks at her watch. “There is thirty minutes left, ma’am. You should get to your seat.”

I nod to the woman and say goodbye to Jongin. After bowing to about twenty people in black, I make my way out backstage and to the audience. The front row is full of girls, but there is one chair between two. I walk closer to the small gap and notice that there is a sheet of paper with my name in big letters.

I take the paper off of the chair and fold it, then put it into my purse. It’s really awkward sitting here alone while everyone else is talking to someone. I busy myself with my phone, scrolling through my Tumblr feed.

All of the sudden, the lights go off and a man, who is probably in his forties, takes the stage. “Hello! Welcome to SM High’s Talent Show! Please turn off all cell phones, or at least have the courtesy to put it on silent. Thank you, and enjoy the show.”

The first performance is a boy playing the Attack on Titan opening song on the piano. The crowd starts to sing along (or hum, since Japanese is not our language). I clap loudly when the boy gets to the last note.

There are so many talented Imaginaries that should be noticed in the human world. I remember Jongin talking about how Imaginaries have specific rules to need to follow, including that Imaginaries should never be noticed by humans. It’s a pretty screwed up rule, if you ask me. These people deserve to be known.

 

Before I know it, there is a fifteen minute intermission. I get the paper with my name on it and place it back on the chair just in case someone decides to take it.

Backstage, I spot Jongin eating some ramen. His eyes are lined with eyeliner and he has grey contacts on. Although he looks creepy as hell with his blonde hair which he dyed during the first act, he looks so innocent when he eats. He slurps the noodles messily, resulting in his face getting smacked by the ramen. The girl who did his makeup scolds him, because Jongin totally messed up his foundation.

I walk up to Jongin and take his ramen into my hands. “Sup.”

“Give me back my ramen.”

“Nah, I think I’ll pass.” I grin brightly at the boy. Jongin pouts, then passes me a bag. “Can you fix my makeup?”

I go through the bag to find some bb cream and an applicator wedge, while Jongin grabs a napkin to wipe off the soup from his cheeks. When he’s finished, I put the bb cream on the applicator and dab it on Jongin’s cheeks. I evenly spread out the color, so he his discoloration isn’t noticeable.

Realizing what I just did, I laughed.

“Why are you laughing? Did you use the wrong color? A cream blush? Damn it, did you make me look like a clown?” Jongin gets up quickly to go find a mirror, but I stop him by grabbing his wrist.

“I didn’t do anything… I just… Jongin, never in my life have I ever put makeup on a boy.” I laugh so hard that I have to grab my stomach. Let’s just hope abs suddenly appear on my body.

“I’m so done with you.” Jongin shakes his head. “Fifteen minute intermission is done. Go.”

Before leaving, I slurp all of the ramen that I was distracted from. Jongin grimaces at me, “Pig.”

I walk to the trash can and throw the plastic bowl away. I open the door and leave, not forgetting to flick Jongin off on my way.

 

I look at the program that Jongin gave me and read through the list of performances. EXO will be the next performance, then after that there will be awards. The audience starts clapping for the girl who finished singing her song, and I find myself getting nervous for the boys.

After a period of darkness, the stage lights turn on and the girls next to me scream their lungs out. Suho is on D.O’s feet, while Jongin and Chanyeol are securing them on each side. Sehun is behind them, dancing his solo part while Baekhyun is waiting for him to start singing.

Jongin’s eyes catch mine and I decide to add to the noise around me, “Go Jongin!”

I don’t think he heard me, but by the smirk that appears on his face, he did.

This is my first time actually hearing them sing the song. During their practice, they only danced. I cup my hands near my mouth and yell so loud that I’m probably not going to be able to talk tomorrow.

I laugh when Jongin and Tao take the middle to poke at their cheeks. Jongin’s eyes lock with mine and a smile creeps on his face. Trying to stay in character, he turns the smile into a creepy smirk.

Aside from this being the first time I hear them sing, this is also the first time I see them get so into it. Goofy, dorky Baekhyun turns pretty much into a god. Luhan went from looking like a girl, to looking like a model on the cover of a Calvin Klein catalog. Xiumin and D.O went from being squishy little s, to being super hot little s.

Jongin?

Jongin went from Jongin, to Kai.

 

“Jongin, if I ever become a famous dancer, I want a stage name!” I giggled, plopping my body down on my bed. “Hmm… what should it be?”

The boy tapped his index finger thoughtfully. “Nabi.”

I looked at Jongin weirdly. “Nabi? As in butterfly? That’s cool!”

Jongin smiled, happy that I liked the name. “Since you picked one for me, I’ll pick one for you!” After pondering about it, I came to a conclusion. “Kai. Your stage name will be Kai!”

“My friend, Jaekyung, really likes Chinese stuff and she taught me some Chinese today! She said that Kai means a lot of things like open, proud, and… that’s all I remember! So when you dance, you have to be Kai!”

“I have to be Kai?”  Jongin laid on the bed next to me and gazed at the stars on the ceiling.

I nodded, “It can be like, our superhero half. You know how the Clark Kent guy is Superman? It’s the same thing! Dancing is our super power.”

 

Jongin’s rap brings me out of my flashback. His eyes are trained on me the whole time. Hell, he’s been staring at me since the start. He makes a heart with his fingers while doing that creepy-as-hell smirk again, and I’m starting to get freaked out at how he’s the same person as the guy who slurped his ramen so hard that the noodles got stuck to his face.

EXO’s song ends and I scream at the top of my lungs. The whole place is full of screams and yells, and people start standing.

I smile as I join standing ovation. Jongin scans the audience, eyes wide open. His lips are slightly apart and the boy just looks speechless.

The boys are ushered backstage and I get up from my seat to catch up with them. The door almost closes on me, but I swing it wide open. It slams on the wall and I yell an apology. I see Jongin walking away from the boys after having a conversation, and I practically jump on him. “Jongin!”

I wrap my arms around his neck and I bury my head on his chest. “You were fantastic.”

Jongin’s arms wrap around my waist and he lays his head on my shoulder. He mutters a breathless ‘thanks’.

“How do you feel?” I back away from Jongin to face him.

“I think I might cry,” Jongin confesses, and I lightly punch his chest with a chuckle. “How do you like me being Kai?”

“Your smirks were scary as and you looked like a demon, but that’s all good because I love you anyways.”

 


 

I usually have an excuse for not updating, but this time I don't. LOL SORRY GUYS.

It's finally summer for me, woo! How are you guys? Do you still have school or nah?

Thanks for reading ♥

140609 | 7105 | 1667