chapter 10

Imaginary Friend

“Who was that!? When did you guys meet? What’s his name? Why didn’t I know about this before?!” Jaekyung bombards me with questions as I sigh. After Jongin’s public promposal, he and his friends got driven out by the principal for not being students.

 

Jaekyung slaps my shoulder and I gasp, “What the hell!?”

 

“You aren’t answering my questions!”

 

“He’s a childhood friend, we met a month ago, his name is Kai, and I tried to tell you but you just keep going on and on about prom.” I partially lie. I feel guilty, but she didn’t believe me when I told her about him being my imaginary friend. Who knows what she would do if I tried telling her again.

 

The bell rings, signalling the end of lunch. I throw away my trash and head to my next class. Jaekyung yells at me before we depart. “You’re coming with me after school to go dress shopping!”

 

I groan and wave her goodbye. I shouldn’t have said yes.

 

Taking out a macaron from the box that Jongin gave me, I plop it into my mouth. I smile softly as I melt in the flavor. Rose.

 

 

 

I make sure to text Sanghyuk that he doesn’t have to pick me up from school. He replies with, “Ok sis, don’t die!!!” I snort, then Jaekyung comes out of her classroom.

 

After a fifteen-minute jam session consisting of the newest BIGBANG songs in her car, we arrive at the mall. Jaekyung basically drags me across the mall and to a dress shop which, quote, “is my favorite dress shop because the dresses are all nice and cute and there’s so many sparkly stuff!” I roll my eyes at my best friend, because whenever she talks about sparkles her eyes sparkle and it kind of freaks me out if I were to be honest.

 

Of course before we reach the store, we allow ourselves to indulge in our favorite beverages from the one and only: Starbucks. I sip my strawberries and cream frappuccino (with some java chips blended in, like always) and I melt in the wonderful goodness of the drink. Jaekyung does the same with her s’mores frappuccino, sighing as the wonderful drink comes into contact with her taste buds.

 

We arrive at the dress shop a few minutes after, Jaekyung strutting her way inside as I follow her with small steps. The shop is color coded, something that relieves me from having to go through racks and racks of clothes. I watch as Jaekyung immediately surrounds herself in the darker colors, which would contrast and compliment her milky skin.

 

I decide to help Jaekyung with her dress first, because I definitely cannot choose my own dress by myself.  I follow her around like I am her assistant, and whenever she sees a dress she likes, she hands it over to me to hold.

 

This is what separates me and Jaekyung in the shopping world. Jaekyung doesn’t know what she wants, therefore she picks what she likes and decides to try them all on before deciding on a final dress. I, on the other hand, know what I want. Once I set my eye on something, I go for it, not even wasting my time on trying on multiple dresses. And that makes everything for me much harder.

 

I’ve said before that I am not a dress person, but I actually like wearing dresses. It’s the pain of choosing one that makes me hesitant to even visit a store.

 

After ten dresses, Jaekyung takes them all into her own hands so that I can pick out my own. I don’t really know where to start, since I apparently “would look good in all colors” as said from one of the workers. Since Jaekyung went for the more dark and mysterious side, I decide to go to the lighter side.

 

I run my hands over the pastel pinks and beiges, while Jaekyung goes to the pastel blues and lavenders after giving the worker her pile of dresses in order to help me. I feel sorry for the worker, who nearly stumbled as she was passed on the weight of the dresses. The worker immediately rushed to one of the dressing rooms to hang them on a rack, waiting ever so patiently for Jaekyung to try on their magnificence.

 

Jaekyung occasionally holds out a few dresses, only to get either a shake of the head or a slight grimace. After about ten minutes, I tell her to go ahead and try on those dresses she picked out for herself. She sighs and agrees, only because she knows that I’ll probably take decade looking through dresses.

 

She’s on her sixth dress when my eye catches something from its peripheral vision. I swiftly turn my head towards the fabric. My hands instantly run down the chiffon, a smile coming onto my face. This is the one.

 

I quickly search for my size and rush to the dressing room next to Jaekyung. “Found it!”

 

A laugh erupts from her lips, “It’s about time.”

 

I strip from my school uniform and fit myself into the dress. It fits perfectly, like it was made for me.

 

Jaekyung suddenly squeals, and I know that she found her perfect dress, too. We walk out of the dressing rooms at the same time, and I gasp at how beautiful she looks. Her dress is strapless and has a princess figure to it. The top is black (with her signature sparkles), but it cascades down into multiple shades of blue. It’s a beautiful chiffon dress that ends in a pastel blue train. It reminds me of the night sky.

 

“I think I might cry.” Jaekyung marvels as she stared at me. If her dress was the night sky, mine would be the sunlight. There are two parts of my dress. One, being the sleeveless, bodycon dress that goes to my mid-thigh and is covered in a beige lace pattern. The fabric tickled at my neck, but left my back is left open. The second part of my dress is the ivory chiffon fabric that cascades down my legs and onto the floor, leaving a trail behind me. There is a slit that leaves my right leg free to feel the air around me. This second part is removable, giving me the choice to either go for the bodycon or the gown.

 

I laugh gently at her comment and reply, “Right back at you. Yongguk’s definitely going to cry when he sees you.”

 

“And Kai will definitely cry when he sees you.”

 

Somewhere deep down in my mind, my mind visualizes a thousand ways Jongin will react to me in this dress, and I realize one thing.

 

I actually want to look ing fantastic for him.

 

That’s a bad thing.

 
 

ig | twitter

150620 | 4903 | 1134