chapter 2

Imaginary Friend

I groan as I catch myself getting distracted from my homework, again. Damn you, Twitter.

I pick up my pencil and continue to take notes for history after throwing my phone on the floor. This happens every time, seriously. It’s not my fault that history is so freaking boring!

After writing down two sentences, I feel myself getting distracted again. Heaving a frustrated sigh, I leave the room to grab some banana milk from the fridge. I need a break.

My mother sighs as she sees me go down the stairs, “Distracted?”

I just nod and she chuckles. Before going to sleep, she reminds me to turn off all the lights downstairs, which I do. When I get upstairs, I put a sticky note on the page in my textbook where I left off. I close the textbook—more like slam it shut— then pick up my phone from the floor. I go to my dance playlist and put it on shuffle, then I dance.

Three songs and I’m left panting on the floor. That definitely woke me up, and now I have the energy to finish this goddamn homework.

Thirty minutes later, I place my pencil on my textbook, forgetting that the pages are slanted. My pencil slides down the page and is ready to get launched to the floor. I’m way too tired to stop the pencil myself, eyes fluttering every two seconds. Luckily for me, something makes the pencil abruptly stop in it’s path.

“That was the third time today…” I mumble. I feel my eyes shut and I can’t get them open. I let my drowsiness consume me, then I fall asleep.



I wake up with a jolt. My eyes squint, because of the brightness permeating my room. I didn't close the curtains last night.

I tilt my head. When did I fall asleep? I don't remember. I must have gotten tired of homework and instantly went to bed.

My mouth stinks, so I go the bathroom to get rid of my morning breath. Everyone thinks it's weird, but I prefer children's toothpaste more than adult ones. The adult ones are way too minty for my liking, and children's toothpaste have a variety of flavors. I also use it to rebel, and keep some kid in me.

I don't like standing in one place, so I walk around the second floor of the house with the hairs of my toothbrush cleaning my teeth. I pass by a mirror and see someone dressed in a white v-neck and some jeans at the corner of it. I turn my head around, towards that direction, but there's no one there. Laughing, I head to the bathroom to rinse my mouth. I'm half asleep. My eyes are playing tricks on me.

"Good morning, sweetie." I greet my mom back, taking some pre-made waffles from the toaster and placing them on a small plate. I slide open a drawer containing the eating utensils and pick up a fork, then bump my hip to the drawer to close it.

The drawer slows before closing, and I think it will not make it. But it does.

Oh.

"Why are you staring at the drawer?" Dad walks in with a confused face. I say it's nothing, and sit down at the table.

Today is Saturday. No school. After finishing up my waffles, I run upstairs and into my room. I press the power button on my computer and impatiently wait for it to turn on. I want to find out if all these mysterious happenings are normal. I'm not sure what I'm going to search up, but I have to at least search up something.

After a few hours, I find nothing.

Maybe I'm just overthinking? Yeah, that's probably the case.

I text Jaekyung, asking her if she wants to go for a movie. She replies before I could even set down my phone. I check what movies there are online and the times. Frozen is at 5:15. It's now 3:47.

Since I have nothing to do before the movie, I walk to her house. She greets me at the door and invites me in.

"Jaekyung, do you ever have those moments when you feel like something isn't going to happen, but it does?" Jaekyung and I are sitting on the floor, watching TV. She gives me a confused look and I continue. "Like... after I left Starbucks yesterday, I threw my cup to the trash can when I finished my drink. I swear I threw it too much to the right, and I was positive it wouldn't make it."

"And it did?" Jaekyung asks. I nod slowly.

"That never happened to me before, but that's some freaky ." She puts her hands behind her head and lays down on the carpet. I clack my tongue on the roof of my mouth. "We should head to the theater now."

This is our fourth time watching Frozen together, and my sixth time in total. I never get tired of it. Disney movies in general make me wish that I am some princess or that I have magical powers. The thought of fantasy and supernatural things makes me envious.

After the movie, we go eat dinner at the nearest pasta place. We talk about the movie and sing 'Do You Want To Build A Snowman' because we don't care what people think. I separate from Jaekyung at 8:36, and it's dark.

I get a weird feeling in my stomach once I walk out of the restaurant. The cold February air gives me chills on the back of my neck. Something in the back of my mind screams at me to run. My feet pick up their pace, and I start fast-walking home.

Fast footsteps can be heard behind me, and that’s when I start running. I don't look back to see how far I am from the person, and I let my legs control my body. I can hear the footsteps become even faster as I turn a corner. Bad idea.

The person grabs my wrist and yanks me to face him. He's wearing all black, and a mask covers his face. I look at him with fear as he grabs me and shoves me to the wall. Pain spreads through my back and when the man is about to touch me again, he falls to the ground.

He tries to get on his feet, but I see his head harshly swish to the side, like he just got punched. He falls again and crawls away, whispering the words 'I'm sorry' and 'I won't do it again'.

I'm still trembling. I'm scared, but I'm mostly confused.

What the actual just happened?

 

 

140320 | 4708 | 1118