chapter 12

Imaginary Friend

I wake up and the first word that pops up in my mind is prom.

 

Prom is tonight.

 

My prayers have been answered. These past eleven days did, indeed go by fast. I think that with my brother’s company for one week and Jaekyung’s this week (both combined with Jongin’s presence, of course), time flew by. Jaekyung has been pestering me about making hair appointments and make up appointments and nail appointments this whole week that I almost wanted to slap her. She’s lucky that I love her.

 

I don’t take Jaekyung’s advice, though. I haven’t made any appointments, and I’d care less about my appearance.

 

It’s one in the afternoon, and I mentally prepare myself for the yelling that was about to come from my mother when I come downstairs. She doesn’t like it when I wake up after ten.

 

Surprisingly, when I go downstairs, my mom doesn’t scold me. Instead, she comes up to me with a huge smile. “Are you excited about prom?!”

 

I mentally roll my eyes. After I told her that I was going to prom, which was a week ago, she’s been more hyped up than me. She kept talking about how her daughter was finally being a normal teenage girl and even called Sanghyuk to tell him the news. He laughed at me and made fun of me the whole week.

 

“Yes, mom. What’s for lunch?” I lie and change the topic. My mom doesn’t reply, but pushes me to the kitchen. I immediately smell the Korean barbeque and instantly grab a plate.

 

My mother makes sure that I don’t eat too much. She, and I quote, doesn’t want me to get fat and not fit my dress anymore.

 

As I’m eating my lunch, my phone vibrates. I look at the caller id and sigh, picking up the phone, “Sup.”

 

“I’m coming over right now!” Jaekyung says excitedly. I just shrug since I’m used to her spontaneous visits. And of course, she wouldn’t not come over on the day of prom. I reply with a monotone, “Alright.”

 

Not long after she hangs up, the doorbell rings. My mom immediately goes to open it, and I hear the squealing of both females coming from the living room. I don’t remove myself from my chair to go greet Jaekyung and instead stay and stuff my mouth with meat before my mother tells me not to.

 

While I’m chewing, Jaekyung walks in. Her nails are painted a pastel blue to match with the ombre of her prom dress. Her hair is left down in small curls at the ends of her hair, since she really hates putting her hair up. She’s wearing some black leggings and a simple navy blue t-shirt topped with her signature jandals, and apparently doesn’t have her make-up appointment scheduled until four-fifteen.

 

She’s holding a box behind her back and I look at her with a raised eyebrow. “Is that for me?”

 

With a nod, Jaekyung basically shoves the box in my face. I take off the lid and my jaw drops. In the box is a pair of high heels. It’s really not much, but there’s a ribbon attached which could be tied around the ankle, just like ballet shoes.

 

“I figured you were going to wear your converse with your dress but I’m sorry, Demi Lovato, that’s just not appropriate for prom.”

 

I laugh at Jaekyung’s reference and sincerely thank her for the shoes. I know she definitely won’t accept a “You shouldn’t have!” or an “I can’t accept this.” so I just welcome the shoes with open arms.

 

I finish my food not long after, and Jaekyung and I immediately go upstairs to my room. She immediately pushes me to the shower and I comply because I don’t want to mess with her since it’s ‘such an important night!’

 

The shower is hot, just how I like it. My body instantly relaxes to the soothing temperature and I continue with my routine, adding a little lotion to my skin afterwards just because I can.

 

Jaekyung comes into the bathroom once I’m dressed and she grabs the hair dryer, plugs it in, and proceeds to dry my hair. “I know you well enough that you wouldn’t give two s about making appointments, so you better be grateful.”

 

I laugh at Jaekyung’s comment, “To be honest, I knew you would do my hair anyways.”

 

She scoffs, calls me a ‘manipulative ’ and I slap her on the stomach. It’s these times where I really cherish her presence in my life. She always thinks about me and I feel a little bad for not doing enough for her. I take note in my mind to get her a present or something.

 

After she dries my hair, she curls the ends of my hair. I watch as she braids my hair into a french braid, and I wonder if she even knows what she’s doing. I don’t question her though, because she’s putting more effort than I would. She leaves a few strands that are close to my face down, curls bouncing with my own movements. My braid gets twisted into a messed up bun, and Jaekyung bobby pins it so that it won’t fall. I lose count of how many bobby pins she put in my hair, and I know it’s going to be a to take down.

 

I think she’s done until she pulls some flowers and a hair comb out of her purse. The hair comb is silver and has small pearls and baby breath flowers on it. She inserts it above my bun, and my hair feels so freaking heavy. She cuts the flowers and I cringe when she takes out more bobby pins from my drawer.

 

While she pins some white flowers down, my mind drifts to Jongin. He said that he wouldn’t be home until he comes to pick me up because, quote, he doesn’t want to ruin the surprise for himself. A smile comes to my face as I think of how he said that in such a sleepy manner, eyes barely open and mouth into a yawn.

 

“Thinking about how hot your date is gonna be?” Jaekyung asks when she spots the smile on my face. I almost choke on my spit, and she snickers at my reaction. She pins one more flower down, next to my ear, and squeals excitedly. “Wow, I really outdid myself this time!”

 

I take a look in the mirror and my jaw drops instantaneously. The updo is beautiful, and I can just tell that it will compliment my dress very well due to the white and cream flowers. “Holy .”

 

Jaekyung yelps when she checks the time on her phone, claiming that she’s gonna be late for her appointment. She quickly gathers her stuff and runs out of the front door after I thank her. “See you at prom!” she yells as she drives off.

 

There are three more hours until prom starts, so I start to do my makeup. I start with eyeliner first, knowing that I at eyeliner and I’m going to have to keep removing it and redoing it until I get it perfect. Surprisingly, it only takes one try to wing my eyeliner how I like it. I sigh in relief, because the heavens are definitely on my side today.

 

I put on some bb cream and concealer to even out my skin tone and contour my face to perfection. I fill in my eyebrows to my heart’s content, since I just have to make my eyebrows on fleek. Using neutral colored eyeshadows, I try to make my brown eyes pop out. With some natural-looking fake lashes that my mom practically shoved in my face the day before, I curl the lashes and apply two coats of mascara. I finish off with my favorite NYX lip cream in the shade of Stockholm.

 

It didn’t take as long as I expected it to, so I decide to reward myself with a small nap. I make sure to sleep with my back to the bed, so that my makeup won’t screw up on me. Thankfully, I don’t move around much when I sleep, so that saves my hair that Jaekyung spent so much time on. Once I get comfortable, I drift into dreamland right away.



 

“What do you want?!” I yell to my mom who is calling me from downstairs, disturbing my sleep. I groan and cuddle with the pillow next to me when I notice the discomfort that my hair is giving me.

 

“Your date is here!”

 

My eyes pop open and I turn my head to my phone to check the time. 6:28. .

 

I want to smack myself for being stupid enough to not set an alarm, but there’s no time for that. I practically run into my closet while ripping off my clothes. I grab the first part of my dress, step into it, zip up the back and pin the fabric behind my neck, then attach the second piece onto my waist in the span of fifty seconds. I stop in front of my mirror to check how I look and after applying more lip gloss, I grab my purse and sprint downstairs.

 

My mom continues to yell for me while I put on my heels in the kitchen where I left them. I curse at Jaekyung in my mind because although the shoes are gorgeous, it’ll take time to tie the ribbons. In the end, I do a half-assed knot and decide to fix it in the car.

 

I literally sprint to the front door with my heels on and thank my dance team for making me dance in heels because I would’ve fell if I didn’t have the experience. I get to the door, gasping for air. I just got ready in two minutes.

 

“Hey.”

 

I look up at the voice and freeze. Jongin is wearing a classic tuxedo with an ivory tie that matches my dress perfectly. The suit is so well fitting to Jongin’s body and it makes his shoulders look broader. His hair is styled upwards into a messy, bed head look that looks absolutely stunning on him.

 

Jongin smiles at me and I finally stutter, “Hi.”

 

“You look beautiful.” he marvels at me and I feel myself blush at the compliment. “Thank you. You look beautifuller. I mean, not fuller. You don’t look fuller, but more… more beautiful.”

 

He laughs at my Frozen reference and I find myself grinning. “No, really. You look great.”

 

“Thanks. Oh yeah, and this is for you.” he mumbles as he gets something out of his pocket. He motions to hold out my arm and so I do. The smell of fresh flowers greets me as Jongin secures a corsage to my wrist. I look at the flower arrangement in awe. The flowers on the corsage are the same ones in my hair.

 

Someone nudges my arm and my head turns to my mother, who is holding out the boutonniere I purchased (or Jaekyung made me buy) two days ago. I take it and motion Jongin to come closer. He complies, and the smell of his cologne hits me.

 

Trying not to get distracted from how great he smells, I attach the boutonniere to his suit. I hear a camera click and I try not to roll my eyes at the sound of both my parents giggling in the background.

 

After taking approximately a billion pictures of Jongin and I, my parents finally let us go. Jongin leads me outside and my eyes instantly catch the maroon sports car sitting on the driveway.

 

“How the hell did you get a car?” I look at him with an incredulous look and he just shrugs, “I have my ways.”

 

“I swear, if you stole this car-”

 

“I didn’t steal the car!” Jongin pouts, making me shut up at once. He opens the door for me, and I mumble a thanks. He makes sure that none of my dress is hanging out of the car before shutting the door. He gets in the driver’s seat not long after with a smirk. “You ready?”

 

“Do you even have a license?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Well, .”

 
 
 



I DO NOT ENCOURAGE DRIVING WITHOUT A LICENSE PLEASE DON'T PULL A JONGIN! stay safe my lovely cake pops

I planned on putting this up earlier, but yesterday was my dad's 50th birthday and we had a HUGE party. I've been running around, cleaning, shopping, and cooking for the past 6 days and I didn't have time to finish the chapter until now sighs

If you want a picture of the dress, click here! It's seriously so pretty ;; here is a picture of the shoes!! (imagine that they're a color lol)

TBH i skipped a few chapters and wrote the last chap already and i just ugh tear slips im not ready for this story to end

I hope you liked the update!! ♥

150726 | 8515 | 2043