Her Family

The New Composer

“Here’s Sehun’s and yours, Mil,” Luhan said as he set the bubble tea cups on the table. As Milan thought, he sat beside Sehun. She knew he would be more comfortable sitting next to a friend that the ‘flirty’ girl he just met yesterday. Whoever called her a flirt remained in her mind. It scarred her for the rest of her dear life. It was a big insult but she couldn’t do anything for people to stop calling her that. She was only being nice and she didn’t want anything in return. She just wanted people to understand her.

“So what did you talk about while I was gone?” Luhan asked as he sipped his bubble tea. Milan shuffled rather uncomfortably in her seat, signalling Sehun to answer for her. “Nothing actually, hyung. Mil-ssi’s as silent as a fox,” Sehun answered. “Since when did you add honorific to her name? Didn’t she tell us just to call her Mil?” Luhan raised one of his eyebrows. “It’s fine, oppa. There’s nothing bad about that,” Milan said as she sipped on hers too. It was actually yummy. Better than anything she tasted back at home. It reminded her of home.

Milan slightly furrowed her eyebrows when she recalled the memory when she first tasted bubble tea. She was out with her friends back then. It was one of her friends’ birthday and that friend treated them to bubble tea. “Anyways, Mil, are you still thinking about the lap thing?” Luhan asked as he looked at her. “Umm… What? Lap thing? Oh, I was sitting on your lap. That thing, right? It’s fine. There was nothing wrong with it,” Milan answered quickly, still embarrassed. She did hear Luhan’s thighs are strong but she never imagined his thighs can hold her for that long. That is just simply amazing, considering her weight.

“I see,” Luhan scanned Milan’s upper body. She looked really masculine right now, opposite of what she looked like earlier. The way she looked out of the window with sad eyes intrigued him and he wanted to know why she was like that. But he’d rather not ask. He already noticed Milan is a secretive person. Milan wasn’t completely masculine though. She still had those features a normal woman would have. She could pass as the flower boy type of person, like what people call Luhan.

“Hey, Mil, can you tell us more about yourself? Your birthday, how you grew up and everything?” Sehun asked, wanting to finish the awkward silence between the three. Silence barely happens when two EXO members come together but being with a girl, maybe everything changed. Innocence was something most of the members had. They don’t know how to deal with girls who don’t go crazy for them. It was sound cocky but it’s true. It’s either they spend their time with their family, their fans or their seniors in the company. That’s about all the girls they spend time with. And considering Milan was none of those, or acted like she wasn’t a fan, they didn’t know how to properly deal with her. So Sehun’s question might make the two understand her more.

“Alright then,” Milan answered, Sehun having a little victory dance in his head since he thought Milan would just ignore his suggestion. “But listen carefully, I won’t repeat anything to you two,” Milan told them which earned her two men nodding. “I was born on April 21, nine years and one day after Luhan-oppa. I grew up being close to my family, especially my sister since I tell her everything about my day though she doesn’t like listening since our pre-teens. She sees my life as something not really interesting. So I found comfort in school and was actually sociable, sometimes awkward but usually I easily talk to people, especially my classmates’ parents. I wasn’t the best student in anything for the exception of World History and Foreign Languages. That’s about it,” Milan said.

“That’s your whole life? How about your parents?” Luhan asked. Milan had a grim expression on her face but she chose to answer the question. “They were always too busy to spend time with me and my sister. After taking us to school, even before, they go to work. Then after taking us home and buying us food, they go to work until they arrive late at night. It was always hi-hello and just how’s school or the day. Those were our types of conversations,” Milan said bitterly. “That’s why we always argued. They never tried to put situations in my perspective but…” She sighed again. “Nevermind.”

“You know, with every sigh you make, you have a little bit of happiness escaping from you,” Sehun said, trying to cheer her up. “Sorry to remind you of that. I guess you’re feeling homesick,” Luhan said as he fiddled with his fingers. “It’s alright. It’s better if you knew, it’s hard to hide these feelings for so many years. It feels better to let it out, just pour out the feelings, you know,” Milan said as she stretched. “Anyways, let’s go back to the dorm already. It’s late and I have to do some things,” Milan said as she stood up.

“Alright then,” Luhan and Sehun both stood up and followed Milan towards going outside. Unluckily, there were fans waiting for their exit. “Kyaa~ Oppa!” The fans kept shrieking and taking pictures, which made Milan deaf. Why did she agree to this sort of lifestyle again? Oh yes, for her best friend. “Protect Mil, Sehun. We couldn’t get this person hurt,” Luhan said as he semi-hugged Milan. He was careful enough not to let the fans know of Milan’s gender.

They struggled through the crowd and when they were nearing the exit of their own kind of hell, they sped off towards the way to the dorm. Luhan and Sehun were practically pulling Milan since she runs so slow. And she gets tired easily. “Faster!” Sehun told Milan in a jokingly manner. “I’m trying my hardest!” Milan shouted at him, her legs were feeling weak already. Luhan only laughed seeing these two interacting.

When they finally reached the dorm and entered it, they were all confronted by Chen. “Where did you three go?” He asked. “We went to buy some bubble tea and we got to know Mil more,” Luhan answered before going directly to his room to change his clothes. “What happened that made Mil look like she ran miles?” Chen raised an eyebrow at Sehun. “Fans,” he answered before following Luhan but towards his own room.

“Want to rest for a bit in a bed, Mil? We can’t have you sick,” Chen said as he offered his own bed. “I’m fine. The couch is more than enough for me, oppa. Just do whatever you were doing before we got here,” Milan said as she went to the living room. Chen was closely following her. “Are you sure you’re fine? Someone sent a letter for the whole group and it was about you having a weak body and all that,” Chen worriedly said. “I’m fine really. I’m contented with watching things over the internet, right now,” Milan said as she opened up her iPad.

“By the way, do you have anything to do tomorrow?” Chen asked as he sat beside her. “I have scho—I mean I have some work to do. Why?” Milan said, almost saying school. “We hoped for you to come with us for our next performance on stage. You know, a mall show. Since you are basically our own composer now, you could observe us there,” Chen answered. “What time? It all depends on what time it’ll happen,” Milan asked, eager to come. “Around 7 PM,” Chen answered.

Milan thought twice. She should be in school at that time. But she learned to skip the classes since she almost spends over 10 hours in those classrooms. Yes, she was already a composer. She already had a job but the main reason of her coming here was for her education. Her parents want her to finish college. But this was a chance she wanted to take.

“Alright then. I have nothing to do,” Milan answered. She can take make-up classes these weekends to catch up on her studies. She knows she can pick up things easily if she tries. Chen smiled at her more. “Good then. And by the way, Chanyeol was the one who wanted me to ask you that. I think he’s upstairs, playing his guitar. You should talk to him more. He looks lonely,” Chen said before standing up and leaving Milan.

Milan thought twice again. Should she go to Chanyeol right now? In which room does Chanyeol even sleep? She shrugged. She thought of how she could fine the person she regards to as her best friend in the group. She stood up, carrying her iPad with her, and walked around the halls, trying to hear which room has someone playing the guitar.