Choice

Secret

After making a quick phone call to the nearest takeout place and having the food delivered in the next 20 minutes both Ella and Dongwoon were sitting at the kitchen table eating.

“How long has it been Ella?”

“Um...about two years...maybe a little more.”

“No I mean how long it has been...since that day.”

“Since that day huh? What you have to say is it connected to that day?”

“Yeah it is. I wish I wasn’t the one that was here telling you what I have to tell you.”

“So it’s something that’s not good...it’s been almost four years since...”

“Yeah I know, I won’t be able to forget it as long as I live. Ella I know it’s really painful but I need to ask you something...” after a small pause, he continued “I’m here to ask you to come back.”

Ella was deep in thought for a few minutes.

“D you know when I left...I didn’t know how I would be able to survive...but I managed. Living day to day was hard, it seemed almost impossible. Some days were worse it felt like I couldn’t breathe, like I was suffocating..."

“I know Ella, I know it’s hard, but we need you. Something happened....something we can’t deal with on our own. You know that if it wasn’t the case I would have never asked you.”

“Yeah I know..."

"Ella what happened can't be undone...I really didn't want to put you through this but they're back and unlike before there's nothing to stop them. I'm not asking for an answer right now, think about it."

"....Give me time, let me think about it...”

“Yeah no problem...”

“K, I’m going to go to bed then. You can sleep on the couch if you want. Good night.”

“Night.”

That night was one of the hardest nights for her. She knew that unless it was urgent they would not have asked for help, much less sent Dongwoon. Whatever it was must have been pretty big. Bigger than World War 3. But even knowing all of that did not help to make the decision. Memories from that past kept on flooding through her mind; some were happy but most were painful. Some so painful that she dared not even allow herself to remember them. After much thinking she finally came to a decision.