A Monster

Inequality

Inequality

Chapter 6 – A Monster

 

We have something to say first,” a random female stood forward from the mob. She glanced back at the others and she glanced to the five in front for permission and she said, “We don't want you to train us.”

 

Akari blinked and asked, “Pardon?”

 

She scoffed and huffed, “Listen to me monster.”

 

Her eyes narrowed at the word and Chen noticed it, everyone did. But Akari held back her temper and the random girl continued, “You're a murderer, a monster, and a complete and utter abomination of the human race. We can't trust you to even keep us alive during training.”

 

Akari didn't speak and the girl flips her hair over her shoulder and she continues, “I'm practically in charge of the group of fifty behind me, and we all agreed, but... without the Exo officer's agreement of course.”

 

Ex..o? Akari blinks in confusion before following the girl's gaze. She realized that girl was talking about the six boys and they all looked at her with slight disdain, and of course, Kris' permanent scowl only darkened at the girl's words.

 

So, how about you train them first, and then have them train us? It'll be simpler, for us at least,” she offered and then added, “But of course, majority rules.”

 

Akari looked down. Her insults were swimming through Akari's thoughts and they were clouding her ability to properly assess the situation. She mumbled, “Do whatever you want. I'm not in charge anyways.”

 

Right. If I go against it, I'll get in the way of what they intend to do. I have no influence here. And they have something they want to protect.

 

Chen was the only one who heard her and he looked a s and they shrugged. It was 50 v 6 v 1. Regardless, Akari's opinion didn't matter, at least, not to the masses.

 

Good, looks like decision is made, we're out then,” she said as she walked back into the mob, completely arrogant and sassy. The mob cheered happily as shouts of joys from escaping training filled the air. It irritated Akari.

 

This is their country. They're the ones who want to make it theirs again, and yet they won't even commit to it?!

 

You're the ones who want to overthrow Clovis and the King, yet you guys won't even bother enduring a bit of training to make it into a reality,” Akari muttered darkly, catching the attention of the Exo members. Xiumin and Chen noticed it, the wind was beginning to pick up again.

 

Akari looked up at them, her gaze swept over the mass of people and everyone felt a chill go down their back. She was more than fifty feet away, and yet her presence and the aura she exuded was enough to still everyone. Akari's growled, and almost shouted, “You think war is a game? That people's lives are expendable?”

 

Everyone froze in place and she continued, “What gives you the arrogance and confidence to even do something like this against your protectorates, your leaders?” Akari indicated the Exo boys who looked on at her in awe. Chen was surprised. Why would she be irritated because of that?

 

Where would you be without them?” She exclaimed loudly.

 

Akari took a deep breath and the group of fifty began whispering amongst each other and she continued, “A monster, a murderer, an abomination to society. So be it. You can call me whatever and insult me however you like, but you wouldn't understand. You wouldn't understand a single thing what it feels like to be treated as a complete and utter machine, a tool for war.”

 

I was never treated as a human. Not by anyone. Only they did... And they're not here anymore.

 

Akari laughed dryly and then stared straight into the eyes of that one girl. A small smirk curved up against her lips and Akari asked, “Aren't you planning to do the same thing as Clovis and his father? Aren't you just going to take advantage of me and then back stab me later on?”

 

Just the memory alone was enough to break Akari's wall. Her already unstable emotions caused the winds whipped around her. She almost didn't notice it until she took in a shaky breath and exhaled slowly as they died down. Everyone was frozen in their places and Akari mumbled, “People like you... you think everything in life is so easy, that thing's will be alright. That everything will work out fine. But realize it, open your eyes and actually look at the world around you,” your gaze pierced into every one of them and you said, “We're – no, you guys – are living in terror everyday. Fear of being caught by Clovis. And then he'll brand all of you, and you'll all become numbers, and -”

 

Stop Akari!” Chen shouted. Akari stopped, still opened before she glanced at him and then looked away. She wasn't sure why, and she didn't understand why, but she felt ashamed. Did you expect them to accept you so easily you fool?! You're a monster Mizuhara Akari.. you should remember that. They're only using you like everyone else is.

 

Chen faced the crowd and he said, “You guys should all stop too! Don't you see she's here for our sake? Our safety? For our future?

 

The girl from before had an expression of anger flash across her face and she shouted, “She's not even human! She's a freaking monster. Think of all those people she killed. Among them, they could have been any one of our parents, siblings, friends, loved ones!”

 

Akari didn't refute that and instead she retorted, “And what was I supposed to do? Defy Clovis, and watch him kill my own loved ones?! Imagine how it feels knowing that every day would have been your last if you didn't comply to him. Imagine how it feels knowing that you were responsible for so many other's lives!” Akari paused, in an attempt to control her escalating anger and she continued, “It's not like I wanted to fight you guys. It's not like I wanted to kill. I never even wanted this power! Do you think this is a blessing?! I never asked to be born this way.”

 

Akari's wings formed out of the eruption of anger, and the mob shrunk away from her and she continued, “It's a curse.” Akari's volume lowered, and her eyes did as well. She gazed at the floor and she closed them before continuing “No matter where I go, what I do, how I look, what I say; I'm a monster. Simply a monster. No one else will look at me otherwise. I'm not human, I don't have emotions, the only emotions I have are all negative. I have nothing.”

 

Akari had a sad smile and she dryly laughed, “I don't even know my parents, my origins. I'm not even sure if this is my name.”

 

Akari looked at the girl square in the face. Honestly, Akari didn't expect crap from the girl. The girl knew nothing about you and was probably stereotypical just like every other girl was, and it wouldn't be far from the truth that Akari was correct. Cause shortly after they made eye contact again, said girl hissed at Akari, repeating the same phrase.

 

You. Are. A. ing. Monster.”

 

That's enough,” Kris bellowed. He rubbed his temples due to the agitation and he said, “If you're too scared to put your life down on the line for our future, then leave. I refuse to teach you.”

 

The girl watched as everyone left the room, except for her and six other males. Akari stared and the girl looked at her one more time. Her gaze shifted to Chen and she glared at him before muttering, “You've lowered yourself Chen, I never thought you'd work alongside a mutation like that.”

 

Chen's eyes narrowed and he was about to bite back a response but he saw it, out of the corner of his eyes, Akari had shook her head. Chen glanced at her in disbelief, how could this girl just stand by and let people insult her left and right without blowing up?! He couldn't believe that Akari had accepted those insults so easily. What happened to that girl he just saw earlier? There's no way that was a lie. Akari was so open, so carefree, so... so human.

 

Okay, Chen, maybe you're over-exaggerating things, but that side of you was definitely there, even if it was fleeting. But still! Akari was nothing like what they were saying. But why did she accept it so easily. Heck, why am I so pissed off and defensive of her?!

 

Chen frowned at himself and his thoughts were cut off at the sound of her soft voice. A voice filled with defeat.

 

Never forget your past, because it's just as important as your future,” Akari uttered underneath her breath. She glanced up and the female was gone, just six remaining boys. They glanced from the Exo members to Akari a bit nervously and she said, “I'll leave for now.”

 

Where are you-” Kris asked, but he didn't finish his sentence. Akari had teleported herself back to Chen's building on the outskirt, surprising everyone. They hadn't known she had that ability either. Chen looked at the six and he said, “You can assign anyone to me, I'll go look for her.”

 

Xiumin shook his head and he said, “Don't worry about her too much Chen-ah.”

 

But hyung,” he mumbled. Tao nodded in agreement with Chen, and he said, “She's probably hurt.”

 

It surprised everyone in the room and Tao blinked. “What?” he said, “She's still human, you know?”

 

Chen nodded in agreement and slung an arm around Tao and he said, “Tao's right, she is. She's as vulnerable as any of us!”

 

Xiumin frowned and he mumbled, “She didn't seem too affected by those insults earlier.”

 

She didn't show her weaker side,” Lay mumbled. He looked at them and said, “Who would ever want to show their weaker side to a bunch of people like that? Especially when they were being so hostile towards her?”

 

The group of six males left behind glanced at each other and one of them stepped forward and his movement automatically attracted attention from the officers.

 

Yes?” Kris answered without a question. The man looked at the other five and asked, “Should we wait for you to finish discussing?”

 

Kris shook his head and he said, “No, it's fine.” He glanced over to Chen and said, “Can you go find her?”

 

Chen nodded and Luhan stopped him and he said, “Your house.”

 

How did-”

 

Luhan pointed at his own head and softly smiled. Chen shook his head fondly and said, “You and your telekinesis.”