Doubts

Inequality

Inequality

Chapter 34 – Doubts

 

L.”

 

What?” L looked up from his game and Clovis mumbled, “The main facility was breached.”

 

L lazily uncrossed his legs and stretched and he asked, “And?”

 

It's Mizuhara.”

 

His eyes widened and a smile lit up his face, “Really?”

 

Clovis scoffed, “Aren't you glad to see that your beloved murderer is back?”

 

L narrowed his eyes and he stated, “Not as much as a murderer as you are.”

 

The dictator narrowed his eyes at L and asked, “Repeat that.”

 

You heard me, didn't you? Or are you growing old and deaf?” L sneered. Clovis clenched his fist in anger and L merely raised a hand before Clovis' face and L asked, “Do you know?”

 

Huh?”

 

V, Jungkook, Dongjun, Akari, and I.”

 

Of course I know! I was the one who helped in making you!” Clovis angrily answered back. It didn't seem to be the answer L was looking for though as L's smile dropped and he repeated, “What do we have in common?”

 

Clovis couldn't answer quick enough and L closed his eyes before opening them, revealing a bright gold and he answered, “We're all Hosts.”

 

The sickening crunch of bones being crushed and the smell of iron filled the room as L unclenched his fist and he mumbled, “Thanks for the lift Clovis, it'll be nice to see your whole kingdom fall apart.”

 

There was an immediate, stampede of footsteps and L laughed and he mumbled, “I can see why Akari always loved fighting, the blood lust is real.” L's eyes were bordering red and he mumbled, “You want to Awaken that badly? Then sure, let's have some fun then.”

 

*****

 

Akari, Dongjun, V, and Jungkook all paused and although Akari wasn't with them, they all mumbled the same thing, “Clovis is dead.”

 

Kris paused and he asked, “Clovis died? How?”

 

Dongjun shook his head and he mumbled, “I'm not sure but...”

 

It has to be L, he's the closest one.”

 

How can you tell?” Chen asked, curious. Dongjun lifted a hand to his head and he said, “The Wings. Apparently L activated his Awakening and... he used it to destroy Clovis.”

 

This is L hyung's third time using his Awakening...” V mumbled.

 

On the other side, Akari froze as she watched the facility guards pause as well from the announcement of their leader's death and J gently stated, He's dead.

 

Yes.”

 

Then why are we...?

 

Because, as long as the facilities are still up and running, they can recreate the same situation we're in now. If I can unlock my True Awakening, then...”

 

I still think this is risky, what if I don't make it?

 

J, you'll be fine.”

 

Akari could see the pout on her face, or if she was allowed to say it, in her own reflection, and she laughed, “Come on, don't do that.”

 

This is a heavy burden for me Master.

 

I thought I said you can call me Akari.”

 

Unni.

 

Akari felt the rush of warmth and she mumbled, “We're one messed up pair of partners.”

 

Shut up! It's not like I'll miss when you're gone!

 

The softness of Akari's laugh was heard before she knocked out another good chunk of the opposing team and she mumbled, “You tsundere.”

 

*****

Dongjun paused as they reached the first floor of the laboratory and everyone froze. It wasn't his first time seeing the debris of war, but the sheer amount of people dead or near dead was bone chilling and Dongjun softly mumbled, “My god.”

 

Akari did this alone?” Kris asked. The trio nodded and Chen was the first one to gather his wits. I am not going to stand here and gawk at dead bodies when I should be finding her. He ran off first, and it was only when they saw him jumping over the fallen bodies that they all followed after him and Luhan shouted, Stay in groups of two at the least! Make sure no one gets left alone!

 

Chen paused and Tao caught up with the lightning user and they exchanged nods before rushing off. Dongjun mumbled, “I'll go on my own, it's an uneven number.”

 

V and Jungkook immediately paired up, leaving Luhan with Lay and Kris with Xiumin and Kris mumbled, “Of course you two would pair up together.”

 

Luhan and Lay smiled cheekily and Lay shooed them off, “We're supporters, we're here to give you moral support, and besides, if people do come rushing at us, I have Luhan.”

 

Luhan rolled his eyes and a soft smile played out onto his lips and he said, “Go.”

 

Kris sighed, “Why exactly are we here again?”

 

Xiumin placed a hand on their dui zhang's shoulder and he said, “To help Akari reach her goal.”

 

Even if she dies because of it..?” Kris asked. The doubt in his voice wasn't even hidden and Lay responded, “She must be confident in what she's doing then.”

 

What do you think...?”

 

None of them had an answer. No one knew the inside workings of Akari's brain. Even the ones closest to her had no clue and Kris sighed, “Is this really worth it?”