Insight

Inequality

Inequality

Chapter 21 – Insight

 

I thought you said you were able to handle her!” Clovis shouted. L didn't flinch, and instead stared on with those expressionless eyes and said, “I was able to handle her.”

 

Was. You had assumed she'd be weakened after being locked up for practically four years.” Clovis glared at L and he returned the gaze steadily and Clovis sighed. His blonde hair was almost silver due to the abuse of his powers since young and L's hair was still the deep black it was, and sleek and healthy and smooth and fluffy. Clovis glared at L and mumbled, “Why do you look like you haven't aged even a year since the first time I met you?”

 

L glanced at Clovis and he said, “I'm gifted.”

 

The way in which L had said it was filled with confidence, the same cockiness that Clovis spoke with, the same idea that they were elite and above others. Clovis chuckled and he tossed a piece of chocolate to L and said, “Eat it, you'll need it to heal your wounds.”

 

You're crazy for making these things.”

 

Hey, they're useful,” Clovis responded as a he popped another piece into his mouth. He watched as his hand slowly regenerated and L cringed and commented, “That looks ing painful.”

 

Clovis shot him a look and said, “You wouldn't even know.”

 

Suddenly he cried out in pain as the hand finished regenerating, however, unlike all the other times Clovis had lost a limb, the hand wasn't usable.

 

Clovis stared at it in horror as he mustered everything in his will to move his left hand, but nothing happened, not even a twitch and he growled out in rage before slamming the useless hand onto the desk and he roared in pure anger, “MIZUHARA AKARI!”

 

*****

Akari randomly sneezed as she was following Chen towards the outskirts. She looked around before shaking her head. After all, how was she supposed to know that her arch-nemesis was cursing her to death as she was chasing after the person who first showed her kindness?

 

Her sneeze caused her to lose track of Chen though as she looked up, and around, only to find the boy to be gone. She frowned before launching up into the air to search for him. She wasn't surprised to find that she couldn't see him and instead opted to do something she thought she'd never do, transform into a canine.

 

Akari's wolf form was a pure white and she began tracking down Chen's familiar scent. After all, after living with him, she was bound to recognize it sooner or later. She bounded down that direction without glancing up and suddenly ran smack-dab into the very person she was looking for, scaring the living daylights out of him as a gigantic wolf knocked him over and had even decided to sit on him.

 

What the heck?!” Chen yelled out. Akari winced due to the volume of his voice and Chen noticed the pain on her canine face and he gently ran a hand through his hair before awkwardly petting her head.

 

Sorry about that, you just took me off guard.”

 

I did?”

 

Chen was even more shaken when Akari responded. She transformed back into her human form, and she glanced up at the hand on her head and she blushed. She got off and offered a hand to which he gladly accepted.

 

He got up and dusted himself and nodded and he said, “Yeah, it's not every day that you get knocked over by a giant wolf you know.”

 

Akari sighed and she mumbled, “And it's not every day I'm free either.”

 

A soft smile played out on his lips and he gently ruffled her hair before mumbling, “It's platinum again.”

 

She nodded and he said, “Why not just leave it this way, it's pretty.”

 

She shook her head and he sighed, “I know it's a reminder of the past, but-”

 

The past is as important as the present and the future,” Akari finished. She continued with a wistful expression in her eyes, “And the past makes you who you are today.”

 

Chen's hand was resting on her head before he sighed and pulled her close. Akari tensed as she felt his warm embrace around her and his arms naturally wrapped themselves around her waist and he whispered, “I'm sorry you had to go through all of this.”

 

Akari blinked rapidly in succession due to confusion and she squeaked, “Chen?!”

 

Her tone of surprise and shock seemed to snap Chen out of his daze and he immediately let go of her. Her face was a deep red and she glanced at him and mumbled, “Sorry.”

 

She turned around and ran off, leaving Chen frustrated with himself. You idiot! You know she's not used to physical contact from people she's not close to. Hell, she even feels slightly tense around V.

 

However, that nagging thought was still stuck in his head. The way she looked at Dongjun, how she talked about him, every single time Dongjun was mentioned, her expression was different, there was a clear sign of affection. Affection that I wish was directed at me.

 

Chen sighed and he suddenly heard a chuckle as Kris came around the corner. There was an obvious pout on Chen's face and he asked, “What do you want hyung?”

 

Nothing, just wanted to see if you realized it yet, but I guess not.”

 

Realized what? That I'm attracted to Akari?!” Chen snapped back. Kris' eyes widened and he smiled as Chen's expression changed from anger to a horrific realization.

 

I like Akari?

 

Well, I guess you realized it now.”

 

But hyung! I can't like her. She's... She's...”

 

Then don't like her then.” A curt and cold voice responded. Chen and Kris turned around to see V. His chest was rising and falling as he tried to catch his breath after following Chen and Akari. He was practically glaring at Chen and stated, “If hyung doesn't like her, then don't act so affectionate with Akari. You'll only hurt her.”

 

V's voice was practically dripping with anger and he said, “Akari only deserves the best, if you won't give her that, then don't.”

 

Taehyung, that's enough.”

 

The voice was so calm, so gentle, but at the same time, the authority held within it was undeniable. V's glare didn't waver until he heard the simple clearing of the throat. V sighed and he pouted, “I just don't want Akari noona to be hurt.”

 

No one does,” the voice responded gently. The owner of said voice turned the corner, revealing Dongjun. For V, it was the first time seeing Dongjun without the signature pure black uniform he had worn during his time under Clovis. His hair was spiky, and black, of course, but his eyes were bright. And filled with hope unlike Akari's.

 

Dongjun-sshi,” Chen calmly acknowledged. Dongjun nodded his head and he asked, “Chen-sshi, if I presumed correctly?”

 

Chen nodded and he said, “You're okay.”

 

Dongjun nodded and said, “I've been better.”

 

He glanced at Chen and he felt his emotions, it was literally like a roller coaster. They were out of control. Dongjun sighed, and as he's done several times with Akari, sent in calming wavelengths. Chen felt his confusion fade away and he mumbled, “Huh?”

 

Confused?”

 

Chen nodded and Dongjun gave him a friendly smile and said, “Calming wavelengths, it's what I do to help people think better.”

 

How..?”

 

Negation I suppose? I'm just canceling out the negative emotions with positive ones.”

 

Chen's mouth was practically on the floor and he whispered, “That's so cool.”

 

Dongjun chuckled and glanced over to Kris and to the calmed down V and asked, “So what caused this little one to act up?”

 

Hyung!”

 

Dongjun ignored the cry of protest and he continued, “I only understand it's revolving Akari-ya, but...”

 

He paused and he raised an eyebrow and asked, “Do you like her?”

 

Chen blushed and V shouted, “He can't!”

 

Chen shot a glare at V and said, “Says who?!”

 

Says me! I've loved noona way before anyone else did.”

 

Dongjun sighed and knocked a fist against both of the dimwits heads and he asked, “V, your love is different. And Chen... you may want to give it more time.”

 

Chen didn't retort and V mumbled, “I like noona with Dongjun hyung better.”

 

Dongjun smiled and gently ruffled the kid's hair even though V was beginning to grow taller than him and he said, “I like it when Akari's with me too.”

 

Chen's attention snapped to that sentence and he asked, “Do you-”

 

Who knows,” Dongjun shrugged. He gave him a small smile and he said, “I'm going back to find Luhan hyung. Next time, don't let your emotions take control of you two, Luhan hyung said it's distracting him from concentrating.”

 

Dongjun disappeared, leaving no trace and Kris laughed and said, “You two are hopeless.”

 

He turned and walked away and Chen shouted, “Is this funny to you hyung?!”

 

Kris glanced back and he said, “Your misery is my happiness Jongdae-ah. Now go make up with V before the kid cries.”

 

Kris walked away and Chen whipped his head around to see a sulking V. V glanced up and mumbled, “Sorry hyung.”

 

Chen smiled before bumping shoulders with V and asked, “How about ice cream to make up for our little fight?”

 

V's eyes brightened and he nodded as he dragged Chen into the sky with him to fly off to the nearest ice cream store. Chen laughed before his thoughts wandered back to her. I'll give it more time.. I don't want this to be a fleeting feeling and then hurt her in the end. 

 

A/N: I'm almost done with school! +___+ that means more updates!