Reunion

Inequality

Inequality

Chapter 39 – Reunion

 

L stepped into the main control room and was surprised to see it already decimated. The static in the room randomly buzzed and zapped and L mumbled, “Dongjun?”

 

He scanned the room and he didn't feel the overwhelming presence of his hyung by a month, but he did see someone else and he mumbled, “Who the hell are you?”

 

Chen turned around, and retorted, “I could ask you the same thing, who are you?”

 

L scoffed, a smirk curling up against his pretty face and he replied, “L. You?”

 

Chen froze at the sight of L. His black hair was perfect on his head and his eyes was a similar shade of gold, that gold that he had often associated with Akari. L's wings were, also, unlike Akari's, but resembled them slightly as they were sharper and looked damaged. It was only then that Chen realized they weren't metallic, but rather glass and the parts that looked damaged actually were chipped. And, like Dongjun, there were wisps of light that seemed to radiate from him and Chen knew.

 

L was in the first stage of his Awakened form.

 

L noticed that Chen no longer moved, more or less even breathe, and he chuckled, “I see... I see. You must be one of the six that stole Akari away from me aren't you?”

 

L didn't receive a response as Chen still stood there, frozen. The male made his way towards the frozen rabbit, like a predator would stalk its prey and he softly rambled, “I always wondered who would dare to take her away from us... First you took Akari, and then it was Taehyung, and after that it was Dongjun, and then Jungkook... The six of you took everything away from those of us who have waited years for Akari and Dongjun to save us again. Years of suffering and having to kill each other as they pitted us against each other to see which of us were stronger.”

 

A soft sigh escaped L's lips and he mumbled, “Do you have any idea how much we, no...” L paused and he growled, “I'm the only one left. I absolutely despise you guys... because of you... I suffered because of you idiots. You took away our only hope. Our only light.”

 

L's eyes were blood red and Chen took a hesitant step back, stumbling over the dead bodies that littered the ground and fell flat on the floor. L took another step forward and he mumbled, “I should kill you. I really should. Just so I can get a step closer to my revenge, and who knows, maybe your death will bring Akari back to me.”

 

L raised his hand, but was suddenly thrown backwards as he was hit by a bolt of lightning from Chen and he hissed, “You think you're the only one who cares for her? You're just pushing your feelings onto her, you don't know what she wants. It's not like she wanted to abandon you guys either!” Chen got up slowly and he hissed, “Sure, I admit that we did pull her away from you guys, but we needed her, we were trying to save you guys in the long run.”

 

L scowled and he roared, “You? You wanted to save us when you guys can't even save yourself. I bet you my whole life right now that Akari's probably only doing something as stupid as invading the facility for their core stone, and through using that she'd probably do something self-sacrificial in order to save you guys.

 

Chen froze and L reached out to grab him, but was thrown back once again and he grumbled, “What the sh – Akari?”

 

Akari stood there, wariness in her eyes as she glanced from L to Chen and L mumbled, “Are you on their side now?”

 

Akari opened and L asked, “Are you going to let them kill me like they did to Sunggyu hyung?”

 

She froze and Akari mumbled, “No.”

 

Then why are you protecting him?” L asked. He jerked his head in Chen's direction as Akari stood in front of him defensively and her ear twitched slightly and L continued, “Tell me, is he still #1 for you? Or did one of these purebloods take his place.”

 

I...” still love Dongjun. But Chen is important to me as well. Akari couldn't find the words and she mumbled, “I don't know.”

 

L's eyes flashed with anger and Akari immediately put up a barrier that deflected his attack, but the immensity of the attack took her by surprise and she stumbled backwards, stumbling into Chen.

 

You okay?” He asked in a hoarse voice. Akari nodded and L mumbled, “You look so... familiar with him, it hurts Akari.”

 

Myungsoo.”

 

L flinched and Chen assumed that must have been his real name and Akari mumbled, “We don't have to be fighting Myungsoo...”

 

No. I can't accept that you've turned sides.”

 

What side are you on Myungsoo!?” Akari cried out. She didn't want to kill him, that was the last thing. But if she had to choose between saving L and Chen... How am I supposed to choose?

 

Choose Chen. Duh, pabo. Chen or Dongjun?

 

Akari froze as J questioned her and Akari mumbled, “Chen... or Dongjun?”

 

Someone called me?” the familiar voice answered. Dongjun appeared in his Awakened form with Jungkook tailing behind him and they both narrowed their eyes at L, and then the somewhat beaten up Chen. Dongjun stood beside Akari and they exchanged an almost unnoticeable glance, but L scowled.

 

You'll always choose him over the rest of us. Why is that? Although I can see you've faltered away from your usual choice since that one,” L frowned at Chen, “appeared. Tell me Akari, and maybe I'll spare all of us the heart break of having to kill one, in the case I die, or all of you, in the case you guys die... Tell me what you're planning and how this will help us in the future.”

 

Akari took in a deep breath and she mumbled, “You know about the stone they use to run the facilities and link the information together right?”

 

Everyone but Chen nodded as he wasn't an experiment like them, he wouldn't know. He stood there numbly as he watched the exchange and Akari mumbled, “By using the stone... you can channel your energy across the entire globe. This facility has their main stone, the Core Stone. The Core Stone allows absolute control over every other stone scattered across the world, and if I channel my Absorption through it... I can get rid of the idea of powers as a whole.”

 

L's eyes widened and he mumbled, “Eliminating powers throughout the entire world?”

 

Akari nodded and L said, “But what if people aren't happy with you doing that? What if they want to keep their powers?”

 

I have something to counter that.”

 

The confidence in her voice caused L to sigh and he dropped his Awakening form, startling everyone and he mumbled, “I can't win against you, you know that right?”

 

I do.”

 

L mumbled, “But I don't want to live anymore Akari-ah.”

 

She flinched and he gave her a soft smile, “You know what I'm asking for right?”

 

No... Myungsoo... I can't.” The horror and sadness that radiated off of her shocked everyone as they haven't experienced it so close up... and intimately. “I don't want to.”

 

You did it for them... Please... do it for me as well. Please. I'm begging you.” L pleaded. Dongjun and Jungkook exchanged glances and Chen mumbled, “What does he want her to do?”

 

L hyung... wants Akari noona to absorb his power.”

 

Earth element?” Chen asked. Dongjun shook his head and he mumbled, “Dimensional teleportation.”

 

L nodded in acknowledgment and he gently took Akari's hand into his and he said, “I'll force you to take it.”

 

You can't.”

 

I will. I don't want you to... Wait. The downside to this is...”

 

L widened his eyes and he mumbled, “You're crazy.”

 

Akari gently held onto his hand and she gave it a light squeeze before gently pulling him in for a hug and L mumbled, “Please, for me.”

 

She nodded and Dongjun mumbled, “Yah, not in front of me please.”

 

L frowned and he laughed, “Deal with it. I'm pretty sure that one and I are equally jealous of you hyung.”

 

Dongjun shook his head and L whispered to Akari alone, “I never thought that my life would end like this.” She opened to speak and he shook his head, gently shushing her with a soft finger, “But I don't care enough for the world anymore. I've only ever lived for my hyungs and you... but when they died because of me, I turned everything to you... and that caused me to turn into what I am now.”

 

He took in a shaky breath and he mumbled, “I have nothing else to live for since you won't be here... and the chances of you coming back are close to zero.” He heard Akari nod slightly and he continued, “They don't know that do they?”

 

She shook her head and mumbled, “They'll be hurt aegi-ah...”

 

She nodded and he mumbled, “Who will help you come back then... unless...”

 

Akari's eyes shone with unshed tears and she gave him a small smile and he whispered, “Pabo.”

 

L began transferring his energy to her and he mumbled, “J.. take good care of Akari for me, okay? We'll be leaving now.”

 

Good bye Myungsoo.

 

L gently rested his head against hers as he began to fade into light and he mumbled, “I've always loved you.”

 

I know.”

 

I'm sorry.”

 

Akari nodded and she closed her eyes. L let out a soft breath and glanced over to Chen and managed to link with him

 

!? Chen was taken aback and L smiled, Take care of them... okay?

 

What do you mean? Chen asked, confused. L closed his eyes as the light reached his chest and he continued, They'll need you in the future.. especially Akari. If you truly do love her... do it for her. And no matter what that pabo says, just go against her.

 

Chen looked at L in horror as the male gave a fleeting genuine smile that was quickly wiped off his face as the light enveloped him and he dissipated with it.

 

By the time she opened her eyes, L was gone and she mumbled, “Good bye Myungsoo.”

 

Akari let out a small sigh and Jungkook softly called out, “Noona.. are you okay?”

 

No.”

 

The three boys glanced at each other and Akari softly let out another breath, her hands trembled as she gently placed them over her heart and she looked away from them and she mumbled, “It hurts.”

 

Chen wanted to go up to her, but he noticed none of them did and Akari repeated, “It hurts..”

 

Dongjun looked away from her for a moment and softly called out, “Akari.”

 

Her ears twitched and she mumbled, “Oppa.”

 

Chen felt his heart rip slightly and Akari didn't move and she didn't face them either and she said, “What did we do to deserve this kind of fate?”

 

What kind of world were we born into?”

 

Akari looked down and she mumbled, “This whole world and life on it is unfair.”

 

Akari...”

 

Dongjun sighed and as he was about to take a step forward, Akari mumbled, “Oppa, make sure the rest of them are safe, okay?”

 

He knew immediately as he felt it and he called out, “Akari!”

 

Sorry.”

 

Jungkook and Chen watched in horror as Dongjun suddenly got into a dimension portal that closed as soon as he was completely swallowed in. In different parts of the facility, the rest of the Exo boys were also sent in there and she stood there and she mumbled, “I'll send you two later. First... I need to apologize to Jongdae.”

 

Chen flinched at her usage of his real name and Jungkook nodded as he left the room momentarily and Akari mumbled, “I'm sorry oppa.”

 

He didn't respond and she continued, “You asked me before.. to consider how you felt even though you knew that Dongjun occupied such a large space in my heart.”

 

Here it is, rejection before farewell. Of course.

 

I never thought someone else besides Dongjun would give me that feeling of safety and warmth. That someone besides him would love me the way he did, but then there was you. Since the moment you guys stole me away from that dungeon, you were the first one to show kindness and friendliness with me. Even though I had nothing, had a bad personality,” Akari paused and a soft laughter left her lips, “Well, I was bipolar if I think about it,” she smiled at him and she continued, “You never once questioned me for what I did, you didn't pester or bother me too much, and you showed me the kind of affection that I had no longer expected from the world. Even when everyone else in the city was against my presence, you supported me and you encouraged me to stand up for myself and to be myself.”

 

She was standing in front of him by now, her hand gently cupping his face and she mumbled, “Thank you.”

 

Akari...” Chen understood it and he said, “Enough, but not enough to say it...?”

 

She shook her head and she mumbled, “I'm sorry.”

 

Please. Just... before you go,” Chen pleaded. He felt as though he was going below himself and she softly mumbled it, those three words, and Chen pulled her into a hug and he mumbled, “I hope... I... You...”

 

He couldn't speak as his tears suffocated him and a sad smile played out on her lips, although he couldn't see it, and she softly whispered again, “I like you Jongdae, I really do... but... I hope you forget about me... since I won't be here anymore..”

 

Pabo.”

 

I get that a lot.”

 

Akari pulled away with a soft smile and opened a dimension portal, and to her surprise, saw the others sitting there moping and they were as surprised to see her and Chen, but they knew they couldn't reach the portal, it was a one way door, with a two way window. Chen saw the slight surprise on her face and when he turned around he mumbled, “The hyungs?”

 

Jongdae-ah,” Akari softly called out, causing him to turn back to her, she smiled at him and she said, “Stay safe, don't forget about who I am... and please, take care of them, especially Taehyung, Jungkook, and Dongjun... they'll hurt the most.”

 

Akari, you're really leaving aren't you?”

 

She gave him a small smile and she said, “My last farewell.”

 

She gently pushed him in and he fell into it gently and the door closed on him and he finally let the tears fall. That idiot, why do you shoulder everything by yourself?

 

Author's Note: Okay I swear, this is the longest chapter I've written for this story so far. ROFL. I have a feeling the ending might be just as long, but I hope not. Ugh. IT HURTS WRITING THIS. IT REALLY DOES. NOT ONLY BECAUSE I KILLED OFF THE MAIN CHARACTER, BUT BECAUSE I KNOW OTHERS ARE GOING TO BE MAD AT HOW I'M ENDING THIS. D:

 

But I mean, I did mention since the beginning right? That they wanted to end the war? So yeah, that's why this part is focused on ending the war. >__> I... I'm sorry.