Tic Toc

Inequality

Inequality

Chapter 29 – Tic Toc

A/N: DOUBLE UPDATE! Go back a chapter! :D

 

A cage of lightning struck down, trapping Tao within it, and he didn't dare touch it. He had first hand experience of friendly-fire lightning due to the idiot known as Chen, but even then, that was before Chen had maximized his ability to channel how much power was put into them. But the lightning from Dongjun was different, the color wasn't even present, it was purely white. Almost translucent.

 

Tao growled, “So you don't fight me, but instead you cage me?”

 

Dongjun pointed a finger, and suddenly the lightning cage shrunk on Tao, and Tao froze. If he moved at all, the lightning would hurt. He could hear the cracking and buzzing noise from the electricity and Dongjun started towards Tao and he mumbled.

 

How do you know how I feel?”

How would you know, if I had or hadn't given much thought into my decisions before I decided on them?”

How would you know if I didn't plan everything before hand?”

Do you have any idea how much I put her life over mine?”

Do you have any idea how much she means to me?”

You don't even know me.”

 

Dongjun stopped in front of the younger male and he asked in a soft voice, “How would you ever be able to understand what I've gone through, what I've had to go through, how many others I've hurt, how much I'm hurting and how much I know she's going to hurt, from just meeting me for a couple minutes, hours, and days?”

 

His expression was hurt, the sorrow in his eyes were evident, and Tao didn't want to believe it, but he couldn't come to hate this man. Tao had denied it, because he thought himself unworthy, but he also denied it because he was nothing like Chen who had openly accepted Akari on first sight. But he denied that Dongjun wasn't running away. He had only thought that way because of how much Akari had affected his own feelings.

 

Dongjun cleared the lightning cage, and suddenly the sound of footsteps were heard as Akari and the others ran towards them. Dongjun felt the attack on his side as he tumbled to the floor, cushioning her fall and he mumbled, “Sorry.”

 

You idiot!” she cried out. Her eyes were bright and shiny and she mumbled, “Why do you keep hiding things from me?”

 

Dongjun grimaced and his voice cracked, “I never wanted to.”

 

Then!? Tell me why everyone keeps looking at me with those eyes of pity. Tell me why they're all frustrated with you. I may not have telekinesis like Luhan or you do, but I can read it in your energy auras. Something's been bothering you since the day you gave me this!”

 

Akari pulled out the necklace, the crystal was still translucent, although there was now a swirl of gold present in it. Dongjun reached out and his hand encompassed it, as he felt Akari's energy mixed with his and he mumbled, “I'm sorry.”

 

She shook her head and she mumbled, “Why are you apologizing...?”

 

She practically sat on his lap and Dongjun managed to sit up and he felt the jarring pain and the ticking in his ear as he leaned forward, resting his head on her shoulder and she whispered, “Dongjun..?”

 

Hyung's exhausted, no thanks to Tao hyung...” Jungkook mumbled. He saw the worry in Akari's eyes and Chen did too. Chen looked away and he walked away from the group. He couldn't bear to see the two of them together, especially when Luhan had noticed it too.

 

They're perfect for each other hyung. Chen thought bitterly. Luhan nodded as he read his younger brother's thoughts and Luhan sighed, But Dongjun doesn't have time.

 

Chen stopped in his tracks, I know... I know, but can I bear his burden and know that Akari will never look at me the same way like she does at him? Even if, say she doesn't know the concept of love... She'll never look at me the same way, her heart and his are already linked, they understand each other so well. There's no room for me.

 

But when Dongjun leaves...

 

Chen clenched his fists, I can't do that to her. It'll be like I took advantage of her feelings for my own selfish gain. I -

 

Dongjun...?”

 

There was no response, but everyone heard the underlying despair in that one name and everyone who had looked away turned to Akari's voice. It was weak, soft, and almost as though she was losing everything.

 

Dongjun's breathing was shallow and Lay ran forward and he gently asked her to get off of him, but she didn't move as she felt something within her freeze and she mumbled, “No. It's too early.”

 

Tic. . . Toc. . . . . Tic. . . Toc. . . . .

 

She's still calling me... I can't leave yet.

 

Tic. . . Toc. . . . . Tic. . . Toc. . . . .

 

But I can't open my eyes... Is it getting worse...?

 

Akari felt someone forcefully lift her off, but she didn't know who. Kris was holding onto her, shaking her to snap out of it and she heard it.

 

Tic. . . Toc. . . . . Tic. . . Toc. . . . .

 

No!” she cried out in anguish. She started struggling and she said, “You can't. You still have time!”

 

Tic. . . Toc. . . . . Tic. . . Toc. . . . .

 

Chen ran up to the group and Lay had already begun healing as much as he could as Tao stood there numbly.

 

A year and a half at most.. or half a year at the least.” Isn't that what Dongjun had said..? Tao revisited the conversation that they had just earlier and he suddenly remembered Chen's words, “Even if he said that... Dongjun knows that the more he exerts himself, the worse it'll become.” It can't have been because of...

 

Tao froze completely and his eyes were somewhat glazed over, It's because of... me?

 

Chen clenched his fist as he saw the devastation that was brought upon Akari. She had stopped struggling, but her eyes were soulless and empty and she mumbled, “You can't leave us... not when we've gotten this far.”

 

If that day does come... if it does... I won't let you die. I'd rather die than to see you die.”