I You Not

Things That Annoy Me

Warning: The following content contains a lot of swear words, reader's discretion is advised.

I’m guessing some readers are very fairly interested in this chapter because of the title, and some are just plain turned off.

I don't know if this topic has been tapped on, but I’m just going to go ahead anyway.

So I’ve noticed that some fics excessively using vulgarities, even when it’s not needed.

Now I know that swearing is a way to express anger, but I don't exactly feel the need to use it every time a character in a story is angry. It can be expressed in other ways too, like using more words to describe the character’s emotions or replacing the vulgar words with smarter ones that can convey the character’s feelings the same way.

It’s the same as yelling when someone’s in an argument. Being loud doesn't make that person’s reasoning any more logical. In fact, it is the content that decides whether one’s argument is valid or not.

Also, there exists this effect that if someone is correct but rude -or in this case, vulgar- people will be less willing to hear the person out. However, if someone is wrong but polite in conveying his/her thoughts, then people will be willing to hear them out and maybe correct them.

Once a student in my class asked, “I’m writing about gangsters and fights, so to prove the authenticity of the composition, I have to add vulgarities, right?”

And the teacher, not lacking in any way, answered, “There are many different ways to prove the authenticity of your composition, it just depends on whether your writing skills are good enough to express the thoughts of your characters inside. The use of vulgarities, is one of the easiest ways out.”

I’m not fond of swearing myself, so it would be a rather rare occasion for me to actually utter out the F-word or any other swear words. And somehow, my guy friends would gape at me like I murdered someone or make a huge deal out of it when I really do swear. Though I have to admit I enjoy letting those offensive words slip out of my mouth in Korean or Swedish. That’s when my friends will ask me (again), “It’s okay for you to swear in Korean but not okay for you to swear in English?” I am a weird person. A very weird one.

Let me go off in a tangent, once I was having a good-hearted chat with my friends and whenever they swore, I would give them a glare and tell them not to. On the table, there was a sign that went something like “Please return used utensils and plates to the stalls”, and one of them said, “Please ing return used ing utensils and ing plates to the ing stalls”. Yeah that made no sense. And you could just imagine the killer-glare I gave him.

However, I’m not saying that it should be banned or anything, in fact if used appropriately, it would beautify(?) a story and add feel to it. For me, I replace those swear words with something else, so it would be comical and would also bring out the emotions I’m trying to convey. Though when it comes to serious matters, I prefer using the real deal rather than the comical version because it would destroy the whole feel.

 

Examples (based on real cases):

“! Did I do that?”

Not-so-vulgar version: “! Did I do that?”

I realised that I haven’t made the situation better at all, because the replacement is just as bad. It’s more acceptable for me maybe.

He didn't have to ing embarrass me in front of so many ing people.

Not-so-vulgar version: There was absolutely no reason for him to embarrass me in front of such a huge crowd.

Yes, I know you’re angry but we still have to stay civilised, right?

 

I can’t think of more examples as my mind is not capable of generating anything vulgar at the moment, but you know what I mean. (I’m actually secretly enjoying this because I don't usually swear in real life, I don't know, it excites me) Sorry about all the curse words though.

That’s it for now, I’m sorry I haven’t posted anything for the past two months (Oh god that was long), I kinda forgot about this, please don't kill me. I realised this when a reader recently commented (I’m so thankful for that) so here I am.

Also, if you want to ask me about anything else, my Askfm account username is immainspiritvip, I don't mind anonymous questions. ;)

If you have any other issues you wanna bring up, lemme know in the comments or you can pm me in the messages if you wanna have a chapter/topic all to yourself (I’ll credit you!). Ciao!

-immajokervip

(On a completely unrelated note, do you guise watch anime? If you do, which one? This is completely off-topic but I can’t help it since I just started.)