02

Prince and the Frog

 

It was finally the day of the party. Hyesung bought the fully wrapped presents to his Uncle's house.

"Hello Uncle, Aunty." Hyesung greeted.

"Hello Hyesungie. Omo. You look so cute for your age." His Aunty pinched his cheeks.

"Thanks Aunty. So where's Andy?"

"He's still at his room, waiting for you." Hyesung smiled, and left to see Andy.

"Hyesung-ah!" Minwoo shouted when he saw Hyesung walking up the stairs. "Did you get anything for me?"

"It's not your birthday." Hyesung replied, and Minwoo pouted. "Fine. Here." He gave Minwoo one present. Minwoo immediately kissed him on the cheek.

"Thank you Hyesung-ah!" He then left to his own room, while Hyesung wiped his wet cheek and continued walking to Andy's room.

"Hyung!" Andy shouted when Hyesung opened the door.

"Andy-ya, I missed you!" Hyesung said as Andy ran to hug him. "Happy birthday!" He gave the little one a present.

"Can I open it now?" Andy asked with glowing eyes, and Hyesung nodded. "Wow! Police game!" Andy jumped in joy as he saw the game Clue.

"You're so clever!" Hyesung ruffled Andy's hair.

"Hyung, would you stay here after the party, so we can play this together?"

"Anything for you Andy!"

"Yahoooo!" Andy shouted, making Minwoo ran to his brother’s room.

"What did he buy for you?" Minwoo walked to Andy and saw the board game. "Wahh. And you bought this for me?" He showed the chess set.

"I just wanted to make you become clever."

"Yaa! I'm not stupid!" Hyesung and Andy just laughed at the whining Minwoo.

 

Hyesung's days at school went on as usual. He had given up being nice to Eric, because the guy kept on acting cold towards him since they finished the project. Suddenly, he saw Eric looking at him as he entered the class. Hyesung was going to greet him, but Eric quickly turned away. Hyesung sighed. After class, he went to the toy store and met up with the Frog Prince again. This became his routine for he would go there every day after class. They talked and laughed happily every time they met.

"Anything happened at school?" Frog Prince asked when he saw the sad look on Little Prince's face. Hyesung shook his head. "At home?" He nodded. "You want to tell me about it?" Hyesung took a deep breath, and sighed.

"My father. He knew I still couldn't get the highest result for the last exam. I already did my best. But I still got second place. What else I could do? I told him there's a new student in school, who seems to be the best in everything. But my father still thinks that I was playing around. I didn't know what else I should do to please him."

"You should not do what you do to please him. You should do it for yourself. Then you would feel satisfied, and not stress."

"I know. But it had already become a part of my lifestyle."

"Why don't you try to change your thinking?"

"What do you mean?"

"In whatever you do, think that you're doing it for yourself. You yourself want to do it. That way you would feel relax even though you're doing the most difficult thing on earth."

"Wow. Nobody ever talk to me like this. Not even my mother." Hyesung sighed.

"I don't think you even tell her about how your day goes." Hyesung looked at Frog Prince, surprised.

"How did you know?"

"I used to be like you." Hyesung furrowed his eyebrows. "Until one day, my mother fell sick. When she was dying, she told me she wished I talk to her more often. But that time, it was all too late."

"I'm sorry..." Hyesung lowered his head, feeling sorry and guilty.

"Nahh don't be. I'm just giving examples. The moral of the story is you should cherish the people close to you."

"Thank you Frog Prince. You trully are a prince." Hyesung smiled.

"So, who's this new student at your school?" Frog Prince suddenly asked.

"Oh. Hm... I don't really know him actually. For me, he's a rival." Hyesung chuckled. "His name is Eric. He's so good in everything; sports, studies. He's famous among the girls, and teachers. The boys looked up to him more even though I am the student council president."

"That's why you think of him as your rival? Because he's more famous than you?" Frog Prince laughed.

"Not because he's famous. But... um... I don't know. I thought I'm the most perfect student in school. But seeing him, I never knew perfection has different meaning." Hyesung looked down and grabbed a toy to play with. "I used to hate him. I want to hate him. But every time I see his smile, I can't."

"Eyy don't tell me you've fallen for him?" Hyesung started to blush.

"I'm not! Why would I? It's more like… um... admiration? Yeah. I admired him. I wish I could be cool, smart, and friendly, like him."

"Haha. My Little Prince had fallen for his enemy." Frog Prince sang in joy. Hyesung hit his chest. "Oww. This frog suit is not as thick as you imagined okay?" Hyesung laughed.

 

Since Hyesung had become friends with the Frog Prince, his relationship with his mother improved. He always spent time chatting with her. This made Hyesung's heart lighter, so he went to school smiling.

"What's up?" Hyesung was surprised when Eric greeted him.

"Nothing's up." He replied when Eric sat at his desk.

"You seemed happy lately."

"Nobody wants to frown forever." Eric chuckled.

"Smile more often. You look good when smiling." Hyesung's eyes widened hearing Eric's words. His heart was beating faster when he saw Eric smiling at him. He turned away, and luckily the teacher came. He needed to talk to the Frog Prince about this.

"Little Prince!" Frog Prince greeted when he saw Hyesung panted at the door. "You ran?"

"I need to tell to you about something." Hyesung took a deep breath as Frog Prince led him to their usual place.

"What? Eric confessed to you? Or you confessed to Eric? Ahh either one is good news!"

"Yaa!" Hyesung hit Frog Prince's shoulder. "Why would I want to talk about him?"

"You don't?" Hyesung shook his head. "Why are you blushing then?" Hyesung cupped his face, while Frog Prince was already laughing.

"Aishh!" Frog Prince stopped laughing, and looked intently at the angry Little Prince.

"Now, tell me." He patted Little Prince's hand.

"Um... He finally talked to me." Hyesung spoke softly.

"Who?"

"Eric."

"I knew it. I knew you're going to talk about him!" Frog Prince laughed.

"You want to listen, or not?" Little Prince pouted.

"Okay, okay. Sorry. Continue."

"Like I told you before, he didn't talk to me these few weeks. But today, he finally did." Unconsciously, Hyesung flashed a smile.

"You really like him, don't you?"

"Nonsense."

"Why are you smiling when talking about him? And why is this even a big deal for you?"

"I d-don't know."

"Just admit that you like him."

"I don't."

"You do."

"I said I don't. Why would I like him? He didn't even care about me. All he did was speaking a few words. That's it. And that's all I wanted to tell you today. So, bye." Hyesung shouted as he got up, and ran away from the store. Frog Prince was stunned. He didn't expect Little Prince to freak out like that.

 

Hyesung didn't go to the toy store for a day, because he was embarrassed. When he finally came, the Frog Prince was very happy.

"I thought you didn't want to see me anymore." Frog Prince hugged the Little Prince.

"Hey. I know you like skinship. But I don't." Hyesung spoke, but the Frog Prince hugged him tighter. "Yaa!" Hyesung pushed him away. The Frog Prince laughed when he fell on his .

"I don't know why. But I missed you." He got up and sat next to the Little Prince.

"It feels weird seeing a frog speaking to me like that." The Frog Prince laughed again.

"Appearance isn't important. It's the heart that matters. I really missed you."

"Aigoo. Stop being cheesy. It doesn't suit you." Hyesung grinned.

"You missed me too right?"

"Because other than Junjin, you're the only friend I got. So yeah."

"Yahoo! My Little Prince missed me!" Frog Prince shouted.

"Yaa! People are staring at you!" The Frog Prince immediately bowed to the customers.

"So any interesting thing you want to tell me?"

"Nope. Not really. Why? You think I only came here to tell things to you?"

"You didn't come yesterday. So I assume you got stories to tell today." But Hyesung shook his head. "How are you and your parents?"

"My mother told me she's going to take me on a vacation this weekend." Hyesung grinned.

"Only the two of you? What about your father?"

"He's busy with his companies." Hyesung sighed. "Hey. Tell me about your family."

"What? Me?" Hyesung nodded. "Um... I have an older sister, she's already married. I lived with my father. He works at a factory. He earns enough for both of us. But I work because I need money for school."

"You're still schooling?"

"Hey you think I'm an adult?" Hyesung nodded. "I’ve told you I'm just a little older than you."

"High school?" The Frog Prince nodded. "Wow. No wonder you talk like a friend." Hyesung smiled. "Turns out we're of the same age."

"Now that you know more about me, how about we become best friends?"

"Eh?" Hyesung was confused.

"I like talking to you. I like being with you. So we should be best friends."

"But we just met. And we barely know each other."

"We can get to know each other better once we become best friends."

"Why are you so cheesy today?" Hyesung chuckled.

"Little Prince, don't you want to be Frog Prince's best friend?"

"Like you said, you're a frog. So, no." Hyesung shook his head.

"Yaa! This is not permanent!" Hyesung laughed. "What's so funny?"

"I bet you look ugly once you take off the suit."

"If I do look ugly, are you going to stop talking to me?"

"Hey. I'm not that bad. Besides, it's the heart that matters, right?"

"So, be my best friend?" Hyesung chuckled.

"Alright." Frog Prince immediately jumped to hug the Little Prince.

"Thank you Little Prince! I finally got a best friend! Yahoooo!"

"You like me that much huh?" Hyesung laughed. But he didn't push Frog Prince away.

"Of course. You're the only friend I got."

"Why? You don't have any friends at school?"

"They're just schoolmates. When I'm in trouble, nobody cares about me."

"You have me now." Hyesung patted Frog Prince's back. "And, aren't you going to let me go? People are staring."

"I don't care. I'm hugging my best friend!" Hyesung blushed.

"I need to go. I promised my mother to have dinner together." Frog Prince finally let him go.

"You'll come tomorrow right?" Hyesung nodded. "Okay. See you tomorrow!" Hyesung smiled, and walked out of the store.

'What just happened?' He asked himself, his hands on his rapidly beating heart.

 

The basketball coach summoned all basketball players for a meeting. Apparently, he was planning to take a few players on a trip

"Mun Eric!" Hyesung saw Eric stood up. He sighed, knowing Eric was now the star of the team. "Park Junjin!" He smiled at Junjin who stood up next to him. Hyesung waited for his name to be called, but after three more names, he gave up. "Shin Hyesung!" He widened his eyes, wondering if he heard it right. He looked up at Junjin, and his friend nodded. Hyesung immediately stood up. "Now listen. Six of you are chosen to go on the trip. The rest of you just practice like you usually do."

"Yes coach!" The other players shouted.

"Okay now the six of you, come with me." The coach led them six to the other side of the court. "We'll be leaving this Friday, morning. It will take three days, so bring enough clothes. I mean, training clothes. And your guess is right; we're not going on a sight-seeing trip." The coach smirked. Then something clicked in Hyesung's mind.

"I'm sorry coach. I can't join this trip. I have family matters to attend to."

"Is it so important?" Hyesung gulped because he knew he had to lie.

"Yes sir." The coach sighed.

"Guess I need to find your replacement. Okay. Dismiss." The coach went to see the other players, while Junjin pulled Hyesung away to a corner.

"What is it that so important? You're getting engaged?"

"Hey I'm not that crazy to be getting engaged this young. I have a plan with my mother. We're going on a vacation." Junjin gasped, and raised his hand, trying to call the coach."Yaa! Are you mad? Why would you want to tell the coach?"

"Apparently your reason is not that important."

"Hey. You know my relationship with my parents, right?" Junjin nodded. "This is a rare chance for me to go on a vacation with only my mother." Hyesung smiled.

"I guess you're right. But I'll be bored without you." Junjin put his arm around Hyesung's shoulder.

"I know. Just do well there. This is your moment to shine." Hyesung grinned.

"Because you aren't coming?" Hyesung nodded, earning a light punch on his stomach.

"Yaa! You want to make me throw up?" Junjin laughed as he ran away from Hyesung. On another side of the court, a person just watched the two, amazed.

"You do look good when smiling." Eric chuckled.