08

Prince and the Frog

 

In class, Hyesung felt awkward around Eric because Eric had confessed to him yesterday. On the other hand, Eric was all smiling the whole day.

"Hyesung-ah. Let's do our project now." Eric spoke when it was lunch break.

"Now? But we promised to do it after class." Reminded about their new project, Hyesung sighed.

"Hey silly. I got a new job remember? And I'm starting today." Hyesung nodded, and they both started doing the project.

"Where are you working now?" Hyesung asked when the class ended.

"Right around the cafe we went yesterday. Why? Are you coming to see me?"

"Hell no. It's your first day at work."

"Are you saying you would come tomorrow?"

"Yaa! Go to work now!" Hyesung shouted, and Eric quickly ran out of the class.

"See you tomorrow Hyesungie!" Eric shouted back, only to be welcomed by Hyesung's glaring eyes.

"You guys are way too close now. Did anything happen?" Junjin asked when he heard Eric's voice.

"Nope. Nothing happened. Why?"

"Just asking." Junjin replied. "Are you going home? Let's walk together."

"I have to go somewhere. But we can walk." Hyesung smiled and they both left the class. When they reached the park, Hyesung bid goodbye to Junjin, and sat on a bench. He knew Hyukie wouldn't be there because it was still early to play ball. The truth was Hyesung wanted to go to the toy store, but he still blushed remembering what Eric said to him yesterday. He wanted to go to the cafe, but it would be awkward to go there alone. He wanted to see Eric, but he didn't know the exact place Eric was working at. ‘Ahh so many buts,’ Hyesung sighed. Then he got up, and started walking.

"Welcome!" The staff in the toy store greeted. Hyesung smiled and made his way to his favorite place. He was sitting alone, looking around the store, when suddenly someone spoke to him.

"Hello there." Hyesung turned and saw the frog guy.

"Oh hello Dongwan." Hyesung smiled when the frog guy sat next to him.

"I'm not Dongwan." The frog guy replied, and Hyesung just laughed.

"You must be new then."

"I just start today." Hyesung nodded. "You always come here?"

"I used to. Then I stopped. And now I came back."

"Why did you stop?" Hyesung chuckled.

"I met a friend here. Then suddenly he was gone. That's why I stopped."

"So you came back because your friend is back?"

"No, no. My other friend likes coming here. So I’m kind of following him."

"You should come here for yourself. But he must be special then for you to follow his likings."

"Not really. But he is a good friend."

"Better than the friend who left you here?" Hyesung froze. He never thought that he needed to compare between Eric and the Frog Prince. They were both different.

"I can't compare them."

"You don't have to. He brought you out of heartbreak, he sure is special." Hyesung didn't know what to reply. "So, what do you like about this special friend?"

"Why should I tell you?"

"We're already on this topic. So, just shoot." Hyesung inhaled deeply. He never really had a friend whom he could talk to about these kinds of things. Now it seemed like this person came on the right time.

"I don't like him in that kind of way, you know. It's simply admiration. I used to hate him. But after a while being stuck with that boy, the hatred disappeared. And replaced by a warm feeling. I enjoy his presence. I enjoy spending time with him. I mean, doing projects and homework together. Now, we've become friends. And I think I'm starting to like him."

"That's good. I know he likes you too."

"How did you know??"

"From what I heard about him, he treats you good. He even helped you dealing with your past. So it's good to say he likes you too."

"Actually, he had told me he likes me." Hyesung blushed.

"Really? Wow! So what did you tell him?"

"He gave me time to think."

"I think you already got your answer. And you should tell him." Hyesung nodded. "Now."

"B-but, he's working right now. I don't know where."

"Does he know where you live?" Hyesung nodded. "Who knows he might come to your house tonight." Hyesung looked at the frog guy, confused. "Because he misses you?" Hyesung blushed again.

"I better go home then." The frog guy nodded and Hyesung excused himself to go home.

Hyesung didn't expect for Eric to come. But he was hoping that Eric would show up. He tried to calm himself, and thought about what to say if Eric did come. He was walking back and forth in his room, when he heard his mother called.

"Hyesung-ah. Someone's here to see you." Hyesung's heart stopped beating. Eric really came! He looked in the mirror, and fixed his hair, his clothes. Then he ran downstairs. The moment he saw his guest, his heart was beating like crazy.

"Hi!" Eric greeted, being his cheery self.

"Hi." Hyesung replied, and looked around the living room. Seeing the maids looking at them, he turned to Eric. "Let's go to my room." Eric's eyes widened. He didn't expect they would move this fast. "Why are you grinning?" Eric shook his head while Hyesung grabbed his arm and brought him towards his room.

"Wow. You really are a prince." Eric exclaimed, and took a seat on the  bed. "You even have this?" Eric grabbed the big froggie and hugged it tightly. "This feels nice."

"Have you eaten dinner? If not, I can ask the maids to fix something for you."

"I'm full just by looking at you." Eric smiled. But Hyesung hit his shoulder.

"Why are you so cheesy?" Hyesung took a seat at his study table.

"Hey sit here." Eric patted the space next to him, but Hyesung shook his head. "Please?" Hyesung gave in. The moment Hyesung sat on the bed, Eric hugged him.

"Hey!" Hyesung tried to push him. "Eric!"

"I missed you." Hyesung stopped moving.

"Everything okay at work?"

"Yeah. Everything's fine. Do you miss me?"

"A little bit." Eric laughed.

"Did you go straight home after school?"

"Nope. I went to the toy store." Eric looked up at Hyesung.

"That's good. Seems like I have an impact on you." Hyesung hit his shoulder again. "Okay, okay. So what did you do there?"

"Hey did you know that Dongwan quits?"

"Why? You met the frog guy but he wasn't Dongwan?" Hyesung nodded. "Why did you meet the frog guy anyway?"

"He came to me. I thought he was Dongwan. So I just let him be."

"What did you guys do?"

"We just talked."

"You knew he wasn't Dongwan, and you talked?" Hyesung nodded. "You're so easy in trusting strangers."

"So far, the frog guys I met were nice to me."

"Fine. What did you guys talk about?"

"Why are you asking so many questions?" Eric pouted. "We talked about stuff."

"What stuff could you talk about to a stranger?"

"I told him about you." Eric's face lit up. He looked at Hyesung, hands still hugging the smaller boy.

"You talked about me to a person you just met?"

"Hey from the outside, I've known him for more than three months okay. So I just felt this warm familiar feeling when I talk to him."

"Okay. So what about me did you talk about?" Hyesung started to blush, again.

"I told him you like me."

"And?"

"And I told him... um... I like you too." Hyesung muttered, but Eric heard it loud and clear.

"Really?" Hyesung just nodded, but Eric hugged him tighter. "Thank you Hyesungie."

"Hey since when did I allow you to call me like that?"

"Since forever?" Eric laughed when Hyesung hit his back. The two kept on talking and laughing for a few hours, until it was getting very late.

"You better go home now. Or your Dad would be worried."

"I told him I met someone, so he understood." Hyesung looked down, embarrassed. "So see you tomorrow at school?" Hyesung nodded, and they both walked to the front door.

"Be careful on your way home!" Hyesung reminded. When Eric finally out of sight, Hyesung went back to his room, and went to bed.