10

Prince and the Frog

 

Hyesung woke up with puffy eyes when it was afternoon. He took a shower, and tidied up his room. Then he remembered the big froggie in the closet. He took it out, hugged it tight, and put it back on the bed. He then walked downstairs for lunch.

"Hyung!" Andy greeted him from the dining table.

"Oh you came!" Hyesung hugged the little Andy and sat next to him. "Hey Minwoo." He greeted the boy seated in front of him.

"Hey." Minwoo replied, being all cool. Andy just laughed.

"Minwoo hyung still hasn't won a single match." Andy whispered to Hyesung.

"I'm not stupid. It's you who are too brilliant." Minwoo responded to his brother.

"Wow. It's the first time I ever heard hyung compliment me. Thanks hyung." Hyesung laughed at the two brothers. "Hyesung hyung, are you sick?"

"Nope. I'm just fine. Why?"

"Your face looks tired."

"Homework." Hyesung replied as he started eating. Andy just nodded.

After lunch, the three of them went to Hyesung's game room to play.

"This looks fun." Minwoo spoke when he found a board game.

"Let me see. Let me see." Andy shouted at his brother. "Twister? Is it a game? Can we play?"

"Okay." Hearing Hyesung's approval, Minwoo immediately opened the box and took out its content. Andy just watched from the side expectantly. "But I don't have the mood to play, so I'll just watch." Andy pouted as Minwoo kept on setting up the game.

"Hey, it's no fun to play with just the two of us." Minwoo spoke.

"But I don't even know how to play."

"You think we know?" Minwoo asked, angry.

"Fine. But just one round." Andy clapped his hands when Hyesung agreed to play. The three boys started playing the game. A while later, Minwoo eventually got angry when Andy's was in front of his face and Hyesung's leg on top of his head.

"Yaa!! This is a disadvantage for me!" Minwoo shouted when he fell on the floor. Andy and Hyesung laughed.

 

The party finally started when the clock struck 5. People kept on coming; who mostly were Hyesung's parents' friends and business partners. Hyesung didn't care, so he just stayed at the pool side while Andy and Minwoo were with their parents.

"Hyesungie hyung!" Hyesung turned when he heard the familiar voice.

"Hyukie!" The boy ran up to him and they hugged each other. "I missed you."

"I missed you too hyung." When they let go, Hyesung saw the person he wasn't yet ready to see.

"Hey." Eric smiled and walked closer to hug him. Hyesung just stood still when Eric's hands wrapped around his body. "I missed you too." Eric whispered.

"Ahem." Hyesung looked up and saw his cousins staring at them. He quickly pushed Eric away.

"Hi Andy!" The two little boys high-fived each other before vanished into the crowd. But Minwoo walked closer to Eric.

"You're the one they've been talking about at my school. Right?" Eric furrowed his eyebrows. "You're Eric. The Eric." Minwoo offered a handshake, and Eric accepted it.

"What did they talk about?"

"You're the ace of the basketball team. The top student in your school. The enemy of the student council's president." Minwoo stopped, and looked at Hyesung. "His enemy. What are you doing here??" Eric smiled as he looked at Hyesung, but the latter pretended not to see.

"We're friends now." Minwoo widened his eyes. "The rivalry seemed to make us closer."

"Are you sure he's not taking advantage of you?" Minwoo asked Eric while pointing at Hyesung.

"Yaa! Are you crazy?" Hyesung knocked Minwoo on the head.

"See? This is what I'm talking about." Eric just laughed seeing the two cousins. Hyesung then left the scene when Minwoo kept on talking to Eric. He didn't have the mood to talk to his friend, not after what he had figured out. He ended up at his room, so he lied down on the bed, hugging the big froggie.

Suddenly, he heard the door opened, and closed, so he just pretended to sleep.

"Hyesungie..." It was Eric. Hyesung's heart started beating fast. He wanted to shout at Eric, but he didn't have the energy. He was too tired accepting the fact that Eric was his Frog Prince. "Are you mad or something?" Hyesung felt his bed moved; he knew Eric was sitting behind him. "I know you're not sleeping. If I made you mad, I'm sorry. But you have to tell me about it." Hyesung sighed.

"You left something here last week. It's on the table." Hyesung spoke, still not looking at Eric. He felt his bed moved again, for Eric had gotten up. "It's yours, right?" Hyesung knew Eric was holding the L keychain at the moment.

"Hyesungie, I can explain." Hyesung got up and sat on the bed, facing Eric who was still standing next to the table.

"Explain, now." Hyesung tried to sound serious, even though deep inside he wanted to cry.

"Seems like you already know about it." Eric settled on the bed, facing Hyesung. "Now let me tell you the real truth." Hyesung just stared at Eric, without any movement except breathing. "When you first saw me at the toy store, I had already worked there for a month. I had never expected to see you there. But when I did, I was very happy. At school, you seemed cold. But when I see you at the store, you were different. I tried to get close to you, so that I could get to know you better." Eric stopped to see Hyesung's reaction, but the latter kept his poker face on. "I had already planned to work there for two months. When we met, I got only two weeks left. I couldn't ask the manager to extend my two-month contract. Then there was the trip. At school, I was happy when we get to go together, but then you said you couldn't join. I was upset. I wanted to tell you but I didn't get the chance. I asked Dongwan to replace me, because I know you would come looking for me. And I was right. I'm sorry." Hyesung didn't budge. He just sat still, but his eyes were staring at the wall. Eric knew Hyesung was on the verge of tears. "In class, I saw the difference in your personality. Since you met the Frog Prince, you were happy; you talk and smile a lot. But when he was gone, you were back to your old self, only to become worst. I felt guilty. I try to always be there for you, as my own self. And I'm glad you finally accepted me as your friend. Things eventually got better. When you told me you like me too, I feel like the happiest person on earth. I wanted to make sure you have gotten over the heartbreak, so I decided to be the Frog Prince again."

"So what did you get from your acting?"

"I wasn't acting." Eric sighed. "That moment I knew you have moved on. I was very happy, so I wanted to quickly end the Frog Prince thing. But when you told me you found the keychain, I knew you would eventually learn the truth before I could tell you myself. And, here we are, talking about this." Eric looked at Hyesung, and tried to reach for his hand. "Hyesungie, I never wanted to make fun of you or take advantage whatsoever. I just wanted to be your friend." Surprisingly, Hyesung nodded. "You forgive me now?" Hyesung shook his head. Then Eric leaned closer to Hyesung, and pecked his cheek. "How about now?" Hyesung's face was red as a tomato. He quickly nodded, and got off from the bed. Unfortunately, Eric followed him, and hugged him tightly. "I missed you. So much." He pecked Hyesung's other cheek.

"I know you like skinship. But I don't." He pushed Eric away, but he himself ended up falling on the bed.

"You're going to like it starting today."