05

Prince and the Frog

 

It was the weekend, so Hyesung decided to visit his cousins.

"Hey guys!" He greeted the two brothers, who apparently were doing something together.

"Hyesungie hyung!" Andy greeted from his seat. "We're playing chess."

"Hey Minwoo." But Minwoo shushed him. Hyesung laughed upon seeing Minwoo's serious expression.

"Minwoo hyung asked me to play this with him. And I had beaten him a few times already." Andy smiled, proud of himself.

"Really? You're so clever Andy-ya." Hyesung ruffled the little boy's hair.

"I'm trying to concentrate here!" Minwoo shouted, earning laughter from the other two.

That evening, Minwoo wanted to go out to meet his friends. Hyesung decided to follow, and brought Andy with him. The three of them ended up at the park, so Hyesung took Andy to the playground.

"Hyesung-ah. You don't want to join us?" Minwoo asked, holding an orange-colored ball in his hands.

"Nope. I wanted to play with Andy." Hyesung smiled, and Minwoo left to the court.

"Hyung, I can play by myself."

"It's okay. I don't have the mood to play basketball anyway." Hyesung then settled on a bench, facing the playground. Then he saw his friend. "Junjin!" The friend walked to him. "What are you doing here?"

"They invited me to play basketball." Hyesung turned to the court, and saw a few of his schoolmates. "Why aren't you there?"

"Ahh I don't feel like playing. Go on now." Junjin nodded and walked towards the court. Then a boy came to Hyesung.

"Hyesungie hyung!" Hyukie sat next to him.

"Hey little man."

"What are you doing here, alone, on the weekend?" Hyesung chuckled.

"I'm here with my cousin." He looked at the playground to find Andy, and Andy was looking at them. "Andy, come here."

"Hyung, who is he?" Andy asked, staring at the boy beside Hyesung.

"Andy, this is Hyukie, my new friend. Hyukie, this is my favorite cousin, Andy." The two boys just nodded. "You guys are the same age." The boys immediately shook hands.

"You want to play ball with me and my friends?" Hyukie asked Andy, the latter nodded. Then they both looked at Hyesung.

"Go on. I'll just stay here." Hyesung smiled, and the boys ran to the middle of the park. Hyesung was smiling proudly as he watched over the two little boys playing together. At times, he would glance at the basketball court and resisted the feeling of playing with the big boys.

"Hey." He looked up and saw the grinning Eric. "Alone?" Hyesung just ignored him as he took a seat. "Why didn't you join them playing basketball?"

"Don't feel like playing." Hyesung glanced at Eric. "What about you?"

"Don't feel like playing too." Hyesung didn't know what else to say, so he just kept quiet. "You seem to come here often now."

"I had a free time."

"I always see you here." Hyesung was surprised.

"You always come here?" Eric nodded to his question. "For what?"

"I had a free time." Eric smiled, but Hyesung looked away.

"Don't copy me."

"I'm not." Eric giggled when he saw Hyesung frowning. "Here." He gave a small box to Hyesung. "Gift." Hyesung widened his eyes, but took it anyway. He opened he box, and saw a cute little keychain of a frog prince. His eyes started become teary. "I see you like frog so much, so I was thinking of you when I saw this at the toy store." Eric carefully explained, but Hyesung just stared at the keychain, in silence. "Hyesung?" Eric looked at his lowered head, and then he saw drops of tears falling onto the ground. "Hyesung-ah. Are you crying? Did I say something bad?" Hyesung just shook his head, still looking down. "Hyesung-ah..." Eric brought his hand onto Hyesung's back, trying to soothe him. Hyesung then wiped his tears and took a deep breath before lifted his head up.

"Thanks." He flashed a smile, but it seemed sad. "I need to go." He got up and turned to leave, when he remembered about his cousins. He walked towards the boys in the middle of the park, and called his little cousin. Andy and Hyukie came to him, asked him what was wrong. "I got stomachache. Andy, you go home with Minwoo hyung later okay?" Andy nodded, and Hyesung left the park without even looking at Eric.

"Uncle, what's wrong with your friend?" Hyukie asked Eric after Hyesung was out of sight.

"What did he tell you?"

"He got stomachache." Andy replied, and Hyukie nodded. Eric just smiled.

"That's exactly what he told me." The boys nodded, and returned to their friends. Eric sighed, feeling guilty.

 

The next day, Hyesung came to school wearing glasses to cover his puffy eyes. Eric saw this, but didn't dare to greet him, for he was feeling guilty of what happened yesterday at the park. During their project discussion, Eric was trying hard to hold himself from asking, as Hyesung just focused on the project with serious look on his face. When they were finished for the day, Hyesung started to pack his stuff in silence. Eric couldn't hold it any longer.

"Hyesung-ah... About yesterday, I'm sorry." Eric said, staring at Hyesung's face.

"It's not your fault. I'm sorry for what happened. Just forget what you saw." Hyesung kept his gaze on his bag. Then he walked out of the class.

"Hyesung-ah!" Eric shouted, making Hyesung stopped his pace. "Let's walk together." Hyesung didn't have the energy or the excuse to reject. So he continued walking when Eric was beside him. Eric just followed Hyesung in silence, until he realized Hyesung was going to the park. When he finally sat on a bench, Eric just stood beside him.

"You can sit." Hyesung's words eased the uneasiness in Eric's heart, so he quickly took a seat. Hyesung seemed to be looking for someone, as he was scanning the whole park. "Ahh he's not here."

"Who's not here?" Eric finally spoke.

"There's this little boy. He is so bright and clever. And funny. And cute. Like--" Hyesung stopped when the thoughts of someone crossed his mind. Someone he missed so much.

"Like?" Eric asked.

"Like someone I know." Hyesung inhaled deeply, trying to prevent any tears from coming out.

"Who is it?" Eric knew that someone was the person who made Hyesung feeling down for the past few days. He really wanted to know about that person, and he hoped Hyesung would open up to him.

"My best friend." Eric felt relieved. "I met him two months back. At the toy store. He worked there. I would meet him every day after class. He was a funny guy. And cute. I never got to see his face though, because he would always wear that frog costume." Hyesung chuckled reminiscing the times he shared with the Frog Prince. "I had never asked his name; instead we used special nicknames for both of us. Somehow I felt very comfortable with him, even though we just met a few times, and I didn't even know how he looks like, or who he is exactly." Hyesung sighed, and continued. "But suddenly, he was gone. I don't know why he left, and how to find him." Hyesung's tears started flowing. "I missed him. I only got the frog keychain he gave me. But I lost it. Now I don't have anything to remind me of him." Hyesung was crying. Eric felt at a loss. He felt like crying too.

"Hyesung-ah..." Eric was thinking of what to say to the crying Hyesung. He then patted Hyesung's back. "You have your memories with him. That should be enough to remind you of him."

"I know. But I couldn't see the memories. I need something which I could see with my eyes, and I could touch with my hands."

"Why don't we buy another one?" It was the same thing Hyesung's mother used to tell him. He shook his head, while Eric's hand still patting his back.

"I don't want to buy another one, because I would feel like he is replaceable. Which he isn't." Hyesung eventually stopped crying. Half an hour passed by, as they both sat there in silence. Then Hyesung got up, wanted to go home.

"Are you going home?" Eric asked and stood up too. Seeing Hyesung nodded, he continued. "I'll walk with you." Again, the two of them walked down the road without any exchange of words.

"We're here." Hyesung suddenly spoke after a ten-minute walk.

"Okay. See you tomorrow." Eric turned to leave, when Hyesung called him.

"Thank you Eric." Hyesung was smiling. Eric somehow felt happy seeing the smile.

"Thank you too." Eric smiled back and walked away.