04

Prince and the Frog

 

Hyesung didn't go to the toy store anymore. He was sure he would meet the Frog Prince again someday, somewhere else, if it was meant to be.

"Hey." He was surprised hearing the familiar voice. He turned and saw Eric. "How are you?"

"I'm just fine. How about you? Finally showed up after three days."

"You missed me?" Eric grinned at his neighbor.

"Hell no. Why would I miss you?" Eric laughed seeing Hyesung's annoyed face.

"Heard you went on a trip. Did you get something for me?" Hyesung widened his eyes. He wanted to speak, but Eric spoke first. "Because I'm your neighbor, and we see each other every day?"

"Almost every day. Like you said, you're just a neighbor, so it's not wrong not to buy anything for you." Eric quickly brought his hand to his chest. "Hurt?" Eric nodded. "Good."

"Why are you in a bad mood?"

"Because I see your face?" Eric laughed when Hyesung looked so tensed.

"Brace yourself. You're going to see me every single day, starting today." Eric smirked. Then the teacher came. The teacher introduced the new chapter, and a new group assignment. And as Hyesung suspected, he was paired with Eric, again.

"Aaahhh!" He screamed softly when the teacher finally left. Eric just laughed. "Is this funny to you?" Eric shook his head. Hyesung then got up and went home.

As he opened his room door, he saw the big froggie on his bed. He slumped onto the bed and grabbed the froggie.

"I missed you." His tears started to flow as he hugged the froggie tightly.

That evening, Hyesung was walking at the park, when he met the little boy.

"Hyung!" The boy ran to him.

"You want some ice-cream?" The boy nodded, and pulled Hyesung towards an ice-cream vendor. Then they both sat on a bench. "I didn't know your name yet."

"Oh. My name is Donghyuk. My family calls me Hyukie." The boy smiled. Hyesung felt sad thinking about the supposed name of his best friend. "And hyung?"

"You can call me Hyesung hyung." Hyesung flashed a smile. "Who do you come here with?"

"My mother. If Uncle is free, he would take me here."

"So today your uncle is working?"

"Nope. He just quit a few days ago. Now he's looking for a new job." Hyesung started to feel curious.

"Is your uncle still schooling?"

"Yep. He's in high school."

"Do you know why did he quit his last job?"

"Um... Uncle said he met someone there." Hyesung looked at Hyukie, waiting for him to continue. "That's all he told me. I didn't understand though." Hyukie shrugged. When their ice-cream finished, Hyukie excused himself to go play ball with his friends.

 

The next day, Hyesung was walking to school as usual when suddenly he met up with Eric at the front gate.

"Morning." Eric greeted and walked beside him.

"Morning." Hyesung greeted back.

"You seem to be in a good mood?" Hyesung just chuckled. "Did something happen?"

"Not really. And please stop talking for a moment. You don't want to ruin my good mood." Eric laughed hearing the threat. After a few minutes, they reached their class. Hyesung took his seat, while Eric was staring at him. "What?"

"Hope you're ready." Eric grinned. Hyesung was confused, but the moment the teacher came to class, Hyesung's face fell.

"Oh no." Eric chuckled looking at Hyesung terrified face.

"Okay class. It's time for your couple project." The teacher announced. Hyesung looked at the laughing Eric.

"You're having fun don't you?" He whispered; his eyes glared at his neighbor.

"Why wouldn't I? We make a great team." Seeing the idiot grin on Eric's face made Hyesung wanted to throw a brick at him. "Let's start?" Hyesung took a really deep breath before facing the idiot-but-genius neighbor of his. "So should we continue after class?" Eric asked when the first period was over.

"Why not during lunch? You have to work after class right?"

"I quit my job." Eric smiled. "But I'm looking for a new one now. So for the time being, I'm free after class."

"Whatever you say." Hyesung shrugged, and continued doing his own work. After class, he and Eric stayed in the class to discuss more on their project. Hyesung seemed surprised seeing the serious Eric in front of him.

"Let's call it a day." Eric spoke after two hours. Hyesung nodded and started to pack his stuff. "So are you going home now?" Hyesung nodded again. "Boring."

"Since when did you start to care about what I do after class?" Eric didn't reply. Hyesung then quickly left the class. He thought of going to the park to meet the little boy.

While walking passed the stores, he immediately recognized the one store he missed the most. He stopped in front of the store, and contemplated whether to enter or not. Then he followed what his heart told him.

"Welcome!" He was greeted by the staffs. He smiled and walked inside.

"Oh hello!" Hyesung stopped his tracks when he saw the frog guy stood in front of him. "Long time no see." He could hear amusement in the frog guy's tone. "Are you here to see me?"

"Err no." Hyesung replied; his eyes were looking elsewhere.

"Oh. Never mind then." The frog guy replied, disappointed.

"Can you help me find a toy for a boy age around 9-10 years old?" Hyesung smiled.

"Okay. Come with me." The frog guy led him to a corner. "What does the boy like?"

"Hm I don't know. I just met him a couple of times." The frog guy nodded. "Oh he likes playing ball." Hyesung's face suddenly lit up upon thinking about the little boy.

"Because you had only seen him playing ball, why don't you give him a cap instead? As if to cover his head while playing?"

"Sounds good to me." Hyesung smiled, and started choosing a cap. "How about this one?" He picked a cap with a Hulk image on it.

"Why would you give him Hulk? Is he a… um... a large kid?" Hyesung shook his head. "This one?" The frog guy picked a cap with Iron Man image. Hyesung shook his head again.

"This one!" This time Hyesung chose a cap with Captain America image.

"Are you sure?" Hyesung nodded, smiling. "Okay then." Hyesung quickly went to the cashier to pay.

"Thank you... um..."

"Dongwan. Dongwan the Frog Prince." The frog guy replied when Hyesung was about to leave.

"The Frog Prince title doesn't suit you. Please change." Hyesung laughed and walked out the store. Hyesung arrived at the park and saw the benches were fully occupied. He walked around to look for Hyukie. Suddenly he found the least person he wanted to see.

"Hey. I didn't know you always come here." Eric greeted him.

"I don't." Hyesung answered, still keeping the distance between them.

"What are you doing here today?" Eric smiled.

"I was in the area." Then Eric saw what Hyesung was holding.

"You really like toys huh?" Eric laughed.

"Why do you care?" Hyesung stomped his feet to walk away from his neighbor, not wanting to talk any longer. After he had circled the park, then he saw Hyukie at the playground. "Hyukie!" He called. The boy turned to him and smiled.

"Hyesungie hyung!" The boy ran to him.

"You don't play ball today?"

"Ahh I lost my ball yesterday while playing near the river." Hyesung chuckled at Hyukie's pout.

"How about I buy you a new ball tomorrow?" Hyukie immediately smiled.

"Really hyung?" Hyesung nodded. "Yahoooo!"

"But for now, I'm giving you this." Hyesung gave him the bag he was holding. Hyukie grabbed it and took out what was inside it.

"Wow! I love caps!" Hyukie exclaimed and put the cap on his head. "Thank you hyung!" Hyesung smiled, feeling satisfied.

"Go on now. I need to go home. I'll see you tomorrow okay?" Hyukie nodded and waved as Hyesung started walking away. Hyesung didn't notice Hyukie then walked to someone.

"Hyuk-ah. Where did you get this cap?"

"A cute hyung gave it to me." Hyukie smiled at his uncle.

"Cute hyung huh?" The uncle grinned, as he stared at the back of a person who was fading away.

 

A week went by. Hyesung and Eric seemed to have gotten closer due to their project. Or that was what Eric thought.

"Yaa! Why are you late?" Hyesung shouted when he saw Eric came into the class.

"Stomachache." Eric took a seat and started opening his notes.

"Are you okay now? If not, we can do it tomorrow."

"Are you worried?" Eric grinned.

"I just don't want to stay here while you keep going to the toilet. It's annoying." Eric laughed at Hyesung's excuse. "What?"

"You look adorable when you're flustered." Hyesung started to blush. He felt his face hot, so he quickly looked down to his books. "And cute when you're blushing." Hyesung knew Eric was just joking, but he couldn't stop his heart from beating rapidly. He then stood up and grabbed his things. "Are you going home now?"

"Yes." Eric pouted, but Hyesung pretended not to see it. He then left Eric and went home. Outside the school, he suddenly thought about Frog Prince. He wanted to take out the keychain from his pocket, only to realize the Frog Prince keychain was missing. "Oh no!" Hyesung tried to trace back his steps, and ended up at his class. Eric wasn't there, so he started looking around for the keychain. After ten minutes, he still didn't find it. He sat on the floor, and stared outside the window. "I lost the keychain. Frog Prince, I lost your keychain." He started crying. He then lowered his head and hugged his knees. "I'm sorry..." He cried even harder. All this while, Eric was looking from outside the class. Seeing Hyesung crying somehow made him feel like crying too. He squeezed the thing in his hand.

"I promise I'd give it back to you someday." Eric walked away, not wanting to see the crying Hyesung any longer.

"Hyesung-ah. Are you okay?" Hyesung's mother greeted as he walked into his house. "Why did you cry?" He quickly hugged his mother, and started crying again.

"Mom, I lost my favorite keychain." His mother patted his back.

"You want me to buy you a new one?" Hyesung shook his head.

"It's a gift from my best friend. Now he's gone to I don't know where."

"Shh don't cry. I'm sure you'll find it back someday. Just keep looking."

"Thank you Mom." He stopped crying and pulled away from the hug. His mother wiped his tears.

"I didn't know my son is such a softie."

"I'm not." His mother chuckled. "I'll be in my room. Thanks Mom." He smiled and went upstairs. As soon as he opened the door, he cried again. He took the big froggie on his bed and hugged it tightly. "Where have you been? I missed you. And now I lost your keychain. I don't have anything else to remind me of you, except for this thing I bought myself." He cried for a while, until he fell asleep.