09

Prince and the Frog

 

A week had passed. The relationship between Eric and Hyesung had gotten better, but no one else knew they liked each other. Not even Junjin. Because at school, they would act like how they usually acted.

It was Saturday, and Hyesung was cleaning up his room for his parents were having a party on Sunday, which meant his cousins would come and play in his room. Hyesung even invited Eric and his nephew to the party, saying he wanted to introduce them to his cousins.

"Hm where should I put you?" Hyesung spoke to his big froggie on the bed. He then picked it up and brought it to the closet. "Oh hey there Little Prince. I haven't seen you in a while." He picked up the Little Prince stuffed doll, which he meant to give to the Frog Prince four months ago. He hugged both of the dolls and put them in the closet. Hyesung then started vacuuming his room, and suddenly the machine got stuck. He switched it off, and tried to see what was wrong. He opened the vacuum bag, and what he saw made him stopped breathing. "What is this thing doing here?" He picked up the L keychain and studied it thoroughly. "I'm sure I didn't buy two." He looked under its feet, and saw a writing. "L+F? Whose keychain is this?" He stopped vacuuming, and sat on the bed. His mind started to recall the day he bought the keychain. "L+F? It couldn't be Little Prince and Frog Prince, is it? But it sure looks like the one I bought for Frog Prince. But how could it end up here??" He asked himself, feeling anxious. He never brought anyone to his room, except his family. "Eric?" He himself was surprised. "No, it couldn't be him. But, he's the only one I ever brought to my room." Hyesung wanted to ask Eric, but Eric was working. So he decided to consult the new frog guy first.

"Hello. It's nice seeing you here on the weekend."

"I need to talk to you about something." The frog guy sat beside Hyesung. "Remember the friend who left me here?" The frog guy nodded. "I gave him a present just before he left. And after four months, I accidentally found that present."

"Really? Where did you find it?"

"At my house. In my room. I never brought him to my house though. So I'm confused on how it could get there."

"Maybe he gave it back to you but you didn't remember?"

"No, no. I'm sure about that, because I've never seen him again since he left."

"Maybe he lost it, and you found it somewhere, and you didn't remember of bringing it home?"

"Nahh. I never found my own missing stuff, how could I find other's?"

"Maybe someone found it and returned it to you?"

"That's what I thought at first. But that someone needed to know me, or my friend, to know to whom to return it."

"Ahh this is challenging." The frog guy scratched his frog head.

"I know. That's why I came here. Two heads are better than one." The frog guy laughed.

"I didn't know you are this kind of person."

"What do you mean?"

"You, making this small thing into a big deal." Hyesung stood up, his eyes widened.

"This is not a small thing. This is about my life. I lost a friend, and suddenly this thing appeared. He might have come back. So I need to find him. I came here hoping you could be the one I share my problems with. But now I think I'm making a big mistake. By trusting you with this small life-related thing." Hyesung spoke calmly as he held in his anger. Then he walked out of the store, and went to the park.

"Hey." Hyesung turned to the voice. It was the frog guy. "I'm sorry." Hyesung just looked at the front, trying to ignore that person. "I know you're angry at me. And I know it was my fault. I'm really sorry. I'm thankful for you treating me as a friend. Maybe after all this while, I have already considered you as my best friend, that's why I let out those careless remarks. It was meant for a joke. I never thought you would be this angry."

"Please. I need to be alone." The frog guy sighed, and went back to his workplace. Hyesung was angry. But he shouldn't blame the frog guy, for he was the one who always listened to Hyesung's complaints, other than Eric. "Eric..." He wanted to talk to Eric, but he knew he shouldn't disturb him while he was working.

When it was almost dinner time, Hyesung decided to go home. He was walking across the street from the toy store, when he saw a familiar figure. The frog guy was talking to the other staff inside the store. But he wasn't wearing his head piece. Hyesung walked to the nearest lamp post, and hid his skinny body behind it. It was dark, but the store was very bright. Suddenly, the frog guy turned. Hyesung couldn't believe his eyes. He blinked a few times, and looked back. It was him. He quickly left the place and ran home. The new frog guy was Eric!

 

Hyesung couldn't sleep. His mind was playing images of Eric since the first time they met. He started to remember every word Eric recently said to him. About Eric had gotten a new job, his workplace just around the cafe, he started his new job the very same day Hyesung met a different frog guy. Now Hyesung was sure. The past week, he was talking to a frog guy named Eric.

But, that didn't explain how the L keychain ended up in his room. He never gave it to other person except the Frog Prince. Unless, Eric was the Frog Prince! Hyesung shook his head a few times, trying to get that thought out of his head. But the memories with the Frog Prince suddenly crossed his mind. He didn't want to do this, but he really needed to compare between Eric and the Frog Prince. He got up, took a piece of paper and a pen to write down what he remembered about the both of them.

●Both are the same age.

●No friends at school.

FP has a sister, ER has a nephew.

●Both are cheesy. :)

●Both like skinship.

●ER had been nice since FP was around.

FP took a few days off when ER went on the trip.

FP quits job, ER quits job.

●’Appearance isn't importance. It's the heart that matters.

Given those reasons, Hyesung was sure Eric was the Frog Prince whom he missed so much. He started crying; thinking why Eric would lie to him. But, Eric didn't lie; he just didn't tell him anything about it. Hyesung grabbed the Frog Prince keychain on the table and stared at it.

"You were so close to me, but you didn't even tell me. Are you happy making me feel and look like a fool?" Hyesung cried his heart out, until he fell asleep.