03

Prince and the Frog

 

Hyesung went to the toy store as promised. But he didn't see the Frog Prince. So he just waited at their usual place. When he finally saw his new best friend, he stood up.

"Hey!" He smiled.

"Oh hey Little Prince." Frog Prince greeted, but his voice sounded sad.

"Are you okay?" Hyesung asked, worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine. So how was your day?"

"Nothing much. Oh. I got selected for a trip."

"That's good for you!"

"But I rejected. Because I'd promised my mother to go on a vacation with her."

"It's on the same day?" Hyesung nodded. "Too bad."

"I don't mind. Besides, spending time with my mother is better." Hyesung smiled. "How was your day?"

"As usual, being surrounded by little kids made my day."

"I'm jealous."

"Why?"

"Because little kids love you."

"Hey. It's because of this frog suit the kids love me. Without it, I think they won't even look at me."

"Are you that ugly?" Hyesung laughed.

"Maybe." Hyesung stopped laughing. "When are you leaving for the vacation?"

"Friday night."

"I won't be seeing you for a few days then."

"Unfortunately, yes. But I'll see you before I leave. Okay?" Frog Prince nodded. "I need to go now. My mother wants to buy some things for the vacation. So see you tomorrow?" Frog Prince nodded again as Hyesung got up to leave.

"How should I tell you, Little Prince?" Frog Prince sighed while staring at the door.

 

It was Thursday, and Hyesung went to the toy store a little later than usual. Frog Prince was already waiting for him.

"I want to give you this." Frog Prince gave him a keychain. "So that you'd remember me."

"Hey. I will remember you even without this. But thanks so much." Hyesung studied the keychain. It was a little frog with a crown on its head. "I should give you something too." Hyesung got up and went to the keychains area. He was looking around when he suddenly saw what he wanted. He took it and paid, before returning to his friend. "Here." Frog Prince's face lit up when he saw the little figure of L, from the movie Death Note. He had seen it many times while working in this store. But seeing it this time felt different. "It's not really a prince. But I think it suits me best."

"Thank you Little Prince." Hyesung smiled. "Yeah, it kind of resembles you in some ways."

"Of course. The thin figure, the hair, the clothes, just like me right?" Hyesung laughed, proud.

"Nope. It's its pale white skin, its slender fingers, its skinny legs, that resemble you." Hyesung stopped laughing, and looked at Frog Prince. "The thing I like the most is the mysterious smile on its face. Just like how I first saw you." Hyesung could feel his heart beating like crazy, so he looked away when Frog Prince smiled at him. He suddenly felt the atmosphere getting awkward, so he looked at his watch.

"Um... I need to go now. I have to meet my cousins." Hyesung got up to leave. "I'll see you tomorrow. Bye." Hyesung slightly bowed and then walked away towards the door. Frog Prince felt disappointed for having spent only a short time with the Little Prince.

"I hope you won't be mad at me." Frog Prince looked at the L keychain one last time before he stuffed it into his pocket and continued working.

Hyesung rolled on his bed, thinking about what Frog Prince said about him.

"Pale white skin, slender fingers, skinny legs? Aahhh!" He cringed. It was the first time a person ever talked about his physical appearance like that. Then he remembered the rest. "Mysterious smile?" He blushed. His heartbeat was rising. "The first time he saw me?" He thought about the day he first went to the toy store. He didn't remember smiling at the frog prince that day.

 

Before class started, Hyesung went to see Junjin as the latter was going on a trip.

"Hey. Be good." Hyesung reminded, Junjin just chuckled.

"You're leaving tonight right?" Hyesung nodded. "Don't forget to buy me some souvenirs."

"Of course. I'll buy you some shirts, how's that sound?"

"I prefer hats." They both laughed. Hyesung didn't realize Eric was looking at him.

"Hey Hyesung." Hyesung turned and saw Eric walking towards him. Junjin immediately stepped back and went to meet other friends. "Are you sad for not going on this trip?"

"Not at all. I'm actually happy because I don't have to be stuck with you for the weekend."

"Ouch." Eric put his hand on his chest. "It hurts." Hyesung just glared at him. "Hey what's that?" He pointed at Hyesung's pants. "You like frogs?" Eric laughed at the frog keychain hanging on his pocket.

"Why do you care?!" Hyesung shouted at Eric, and walked back to Junjin.

"Frogs look cute on you!" Eric shouted back, still laughing. Hyesung ignored him and said his goodbye to his friend. Then he walked to class.

During class, he at times would glance at the seat next to him.

"Why do I even care?" He sighed and focused on the teacher. When the class finished, he ran to the toy store to meet his best friend. He couldn't wait to tell him what Eric said to him earlier. He was out of breath when he reached the store. He walked straight to their usual place. After half an hour, Frog Prince still hadn't arrived. He kept on waiting, until he fell asleep.

"Excuse me." Hyesung heard a person talked to him.

"Frog Prince??" He got up and looked at that person. But it was a staff. "Yes?"

"You've been sleeping for a while. So..." Hyesung immediately nodded.

"I'm sorry. Um where is the Frog Prince?" The staff seemed confused. "I mean, the guy wearing the frog costume."

"Oh. He took a few days off. Were you waiting for him?"

"He didn't tell me about it. Never mind. Thank you so much." Hyesung bowed, and walked home. His mind was thinking of all possible scenarios as of why the Frog Prince took a few days off, and didn't even tell him. "Ah maybe his family is having a problem? His father is sick? He himself is sick? I should see him then. But I don't know where he lives. Aahhh!" Hyesung gave up. After dinner, the driver sent him and his mother to the airport. An hour before departure, he was hoping the Frog Prince would somehow come to see him. But until the boarding announcement was made, there was no sign of anyone familiar. He sighed, and went in.

 

After spending the weekend at France, Hyesung and his mother came home. He was so excited thinking about the souvenirs he bought for his friends.

"I hope you would like all these hats, Junjin!" Hyesung laughed at the many hats in front of him. He packed them each into a box, and wrote 'Junjin' on each box. Then he turned to a big green stuffed animal. "I don't even like frogs." He chuckled. He put the big froggie on his bed. "It's time." He went to a box and slowly opened the cover. "Waahhh.." He exclaimed as he took out a big stuffed doll. "I'm glad they have this size." He smiled at the big Little Prince doll in his hands. "I can't wait to give you this, Frog Prince." He carefully put it back into the box, and wrote 'My Frog Prince' on a card before pasted in on the box. He then smiled satisfied, and went to bed.

He went to class bringing a little box with him. When he saw his friend, he shouted his name.

"Junjin!" The said boy turned, and grinned when he saw the box in Hyesung's hand.

"It's for me, right?" Hyesung handed him the box. Junjin quickly opened it, and gasped when he saw what was inside it. "I like it!" He took out the bread hat, which he liked so much for him to call it using food name. "Thank you Hyesung!"

"Haha glad you liked it." Hyesung smiled, satisfied. "See you later?" Junjin nodded, and both of them separated. Hyesung walked into the class, only to be welcomed by Eric's empty desk. "He must be late." He shrugged, and took a seat. When the class was starting, Eric still hadn't come. Hyesung started feeling worried. "Junjin, did anything happen to Eric during the trip?" He asked his friend during lunch break.

"Nope. He was doing just fine. Why? He didn't come to school?" Hyesung shook his head. "Guess he's not that strong after all." Junjin laughed.

After class, Hyesung went to the toy store. He really missed his best friend. He was thinking to bring the gift along. But giving a toy bought from other place to a person who worked in a toys store didn't seem right.

"Hello. May I help you?" A staff greeted him as he entered the store. He just shook his head and smiled. He was walking to his usual place when he saw the person he really wanted to see.

"Frog Prince!" He jumped onto the back of the Frog Prince and hugged him tightly. "It's embarrassing to say this, but I missed you soooo much!" The Frog Prince turned as Hyesung let go of the hug. Hyesung was smiling widely, but the Frog Prince just stayed still in his spot. "Hey. Are you mad because I didn't bring anything with me?" Hyesung asked, still smiling.

"Err... May I help you?" Hyesung was shocked when he heard the words.

"Hey, it's not funny okay." Hyesung tried to smile, thinking the Frog Prince was joking.

"It's not funny for me too, because I really don't know you." The Frog Prince replied.

"What? How?" Hyesung didn't know how to react. "Who are you?"

"I should ask that to you. Who are you?" Hyesung realized the voice was different.

"What do the kids call you?" He asked, for confirmation.

"Um... Mr. Froggie?" Hyesung shook his head. Then as if on cue, a little girl came to them.

"Frog Prince!" She hugged the Frog Prince for a few seconds, and then she left. Hyesung was staring at the Frog Prince.

"Ohh so that's what they call me."

"Are you... new?" Hyesung asked, starting to feel annoyed at the situation. Surprisingly, the Frog Prince took off his head piece.

"Yup, I'm new. Just started working today. I'm Dongwan. And you are?" The new Frog Prince smiled and offered a handshake. But Hyesung ignored it, and asked for the manager instead. "Um he's at the office at the back." Hyesung quickly went to the office. "Hey did I do something wrong?" Frog Prince named Dongwan shouted, but Hyesung was already out of his sight.

"Yes. Can I help you?" The manager asked as Hyesung walked into his office.

"I want to ask about the person who worked as the Frog Prince before." The manager widened his eyes, but then he understood.

"Junghyuk? He quit. He came here yesterday, to resign."

"Did he tell you why?" Hyesung became impatient.

"May I know who are you?"

"I'm his school friend. Please tell me, did he tell you why he quits?"

"He didn't tell me anything."

"Do you have his home address?" The manager looked suspiciously at Hyesung. "Please." He took out a file, and searched for the person named Junghyuk.

"Sorry. He didn't write down his address. He just worked here for two months though." Hyesung sighed.

"Thank you sir." Hyesung bowed, and left the store. "Where are you?" He stopped at the park and sat on a bench, facing the playground. Seeing the little kids playing, he thought about the first time he met the Frog Prince. "Why did you leave without saying anything?" Hyesung felt his heart hurt, so much that he wanted to cry. He was happy, finally having a friend outside the school. When he started to get used to it, his friend left without a trace. He didn't realize tears were flowing down his cheeks, until suddenly, a ball hit his legs.

"Sorry." A little boy spoke as he picked up the ball. "Hyung, why are you crying?"

"Eh I'm not crying." Hyesung faked a smile.

"Hyung, my uncle said big boys shouldn't cry. Especially when you're in public." Hyesung chuckled at the boy's words. "But I often saw my uncle cried when he's alone in his room. I guess, you can cry when no one is around you." Hyesung ruffled the boy's hair. "Now you're smiling." The boy smiled and wiped Hyesung's tears away. "I better get back at my game. Bye hyung." He ran to his friends, leaving Hyesung smiling like a proud father.