06

Prince and the Frog

 

Hyesung was very surprised the moment he stepped into the class. There was a Frog Prince keychain on his desk. It was his that went missing the other day. He took the keychain and inspected it thoroughly, in case it was ruined. But it looked fine, like how Hyesung had last seen it. Then he saw a note.

Hyesung-ah. I found this outside the class yesterday. I guess it's yours. - Eric

Hyesung immediately smiled. He kept the keychain and the note inside his bag, and waited for Eric. But even when the class had started, Eric didn't come.

"Hyesung!" The teacher suddenly called him. "Where is Eric?"

"Um... He had a fever." Hyesung cursed himself for lying. Luckily the teacher nodded. After class, he waited for a while, thinking that Eric might show up for their discussion. But he didn't. Hyesung sighed, and went home. He stopped by the park.

"Hyung!" Hyukie shouted as soon as he saw Hyesung.

"I didn't see you yesterday." Hyesung said, smiling at the little boy.

"My mother was busy, and my uncle came home late. So I just stayed at home, playing alone."

"Your uncle got a new job already?"

"Nahh. He was at school the whole day, saying he had a project." Hyesung's heart started beating a little faster.

"And today, you come here with whom?" Hyesung looked around him, hoping to see someone familiar.

"My uncle. He skipped school today, because he had stomachache. That's what he said."

"So... Where is he?" Hyesung asked. He wanted to see Hyukie's uncle, to confirm what he was thinking at the moment.

"Ahh. He went to the toy store. He said he wanted to buy something. I hope it's for me." Hyukie grinned, but Hyesung just faintly smiled.

"Hyuk-ah. Wait here. I need to go somewhere." Hyesung started running towards the one place he missed the most. He didn't stop even though he kept on bumping into other people. When he finally saw the toy store, he stopped running. He just stood there, across the road, staring at the toy store. Suddenly, he saw Eric. He was talking to Dongwan, the frog guy. They seemed close. Hyesung wanted to call Eric, but he was hesitated.

"Oh hey there!" Hyesung saw Dongwan was looking and waving at his direction. "Hi!" Dongwan shouted from across the road. Hyesung didn't reply, but he looked at Dongwan's friend instead. Eric's face seemed surprised. "Come over here!" The noisy frog guy was calling for Hyesung, but he just stood there, still staring at Eric. Eric talked something to Dongwan, and then started walking towards Hyesung. Seeing this, Hyesung unconsciously took a few steps back.

"Hyesung-ah, look out!" He heard Eric shouted, so he turned to look to the side, when a bicycle hit him. Hyesung fell on the ground. "Hyesung-ah!" Eric came, and put Hyesung's head on his lap. "You're bleeding." Hyesung looked at Eric, confused. "Dongwan-ah! Please take Hyukie home! I'm going to the hospital!" Hyesung heard Eric shouted, and then Eric lifted him up.

"I'm sorry. I didn't manage to avoid him." The man riding the bicycle spoke.

"It's okay. Don't worry. He'll be fine." Eric replied, and quickly stopped a taxi. "Hyesung-ah. Stay with me." Hyesung tried to keep his eyes opened, but he felt so tired. He eventually fell asleep.

Hyesung opened his eyes, only to be welcomed by blinding lights. He blinked a few times to adjust.

"Hyesungie hyung." He heard a child's voice. He turned to his side and saw Hyukie.

"Hey little man. Sorry I left you at the park." Hyesung tried to sit.

"It's okay. Hyung, are you feeling better now?" Hyesung smiled at the little boy.

"I'm fine. It was just a minor accident." He ruffled the boy's hair. "You're here with who?"

"My uncle. Dongwan hyung sent me here."

"You know Dongwan?"

"Yeah. Dongwan hyung and my uncle are friends since they were kids." Hyesung nodded.

"Where is your uncle now?"

"He went to buy some food." Hyukie got up and took a bag from the table. "Hyung. Look. My uncle bought this at the toy store." Hyukie took out toys from inside the bag. "This is for me." He showed a mini Captain America. "This is for Uncle." And a mini Iron Man. "And this one is for you." It was a mini Hulk. Hyesung couldn't help but chuckled.

"Why Hulk?"

"Uncle said you're very nice when you're in a good mood. But when you're angry, you're mean." Hyesung laughed. "Is it true hyung?" Hyesung shook his head.

"He's the one who always makes me angry." Hyukie laughed upon hearing Hyesung's remark.

"Hey what are you guys talking about?" Eric spoke as he entered the room. Hyesung stopped laughing.

"Hyesungie hyung said you always make him angry." Eric laughed, and glanced at Hyesung.

"I did. Because he looks cute when he's angry." Hyesung blushed.

"No. He looks cute when he's nice." Hyukie replied. "But I never see him angry."

"Ooo you don't want to see that side of him." Eric added, only to receive a flying pillow from Hyesung. "Ouch." Hyesung immediately mouthed 'good' to Eric.

"Uncle, I'm hungry." Eric quickly brought his nephew to the table, and took out the food he just bought. "Give some to hyung too." But Hyesung shook his head.

"Patients can only eat what the hospital provided." Eric took a seat next to Hyukie, and joined him eating. Hyesung then pulled his table and started eating his own food.

"Are you feeling better now?" Eric asked after he settled the sleeping Hyukie on the sofa.

"Yeah. What exactly happened anyway?" Eric sat next to Hyesung on the bed.

"You were hit by a moving bicycle." Hyesung laughed. "It's the truth."

"I know. But you made it sound so funny."

"Glad I can make you laugh." Hyesung stopped laughing.

"So how long do I need to stay here?"

"Until tomorrow. You want to tell your family?" Then Hyesung suddenly remembered.

"Where's my phone?" Eric got up and grabbed the phone from the table. Hyesung took it and started dialing a number. "Hello Mom. I'm fine. At my friend's house. Yeah. Sorry I didn't tell you earlier. Dad is mad? Tell him I'm staying here doing assignments. Okay Mom. Love you too." Hyesung hung up and put the phone away.

"You and your Mom seem close." Eric said.

"Just recently." Eric nodded. "How about you?"

"I'm just fine." Hyesung nodded.

"So want to tell me why you skipped school today?" Eric grinned at Hyesung's question.

"I got stomachache." Hyesung chuckled.

"That's what Hyukie told me."

"I'm glad it's you who he always talked about." Eric smiled.

"And I'm glad his uncle is you." Eric laughed hearing Hyesung's words. They both continued talking, until Eric decided to take Hyukie home.

"See you tomorrow?"

"Hey you need to go to school. I'll be fine."

"See you tomorrow at your house then." Eric grinned. "I can come to your house right?"

"It's my Dad's house." Eric laughed.

 

Hyesung was sitting at the garden when Eric came.

"Hey." Eric greeted, and took a seat next to Hyesung. "Nice beanie."

"Thanks." Hyesung giggled. "How was school?"

"The teacher was mad for us skipping school. First it was me, then you." Eric laughed.

"Hey I got valid reason. Besides it's my first time."

"Hyesungie?" His mother suddenly came to them. "You didn't tell me you have a guest." Eric quickly got up and greeted Hyesung's mother.

"Mom, this is Eric. My friend from school."

"Is he the one that gave you the keychain?" Both the boys blushed.

"No Mom. That one wasn't him." His mother nodded.

"Would you stay for dinner Eric?" Eric looked at Hyesung, the latter nodded.

"If it isn't a trouble."

"Oh of course not. It's not often we have Hyesung's guest. Besides, his father would be late. So the more, the merrier." Hyesung's mother then left into the house.

"Your Dad is always busy?" Hyesung nodded.

"About the keychain... Thank you." Hyesung smiled at Eric.

"You're welcome. But you still got mine right? The one I gave you at the park?"

"Ah yes. Of course." Hyesung took out his phone, and showed Eric the keychain that was hanging from the phone. Hyesung suddenly blushed when Eric looked at him, amazed. When he realized something, he quickly kept his phone away.

"Hey. I was looking at it." Hyesung looked elsewhere but Eric's face. "You like me that much huh?" Eric grinned.

"W-what do you mean?"

"You even hang my keychain on your phone." Eric's grin getting wider.

"It's just happened to be small enough for my phone." Eric laughed.

"But I don't think it was suitable for phones when I bought it." Hyesung blushed even harder.

"Ahh... Um... I put a strap on it. Why? I can't?"

"You do like me then." Hyesung wanted to throw something at the grinning Eric, but nothing heavy was within his reach. "Hey!" Eric yelled and caught the beanie thrown by Hyesung. "Are you giving this to me? Thanks!"

"Aaahhhh!" Hyesung screamed. Eric ran away, laughing, when Hyesung started to chase him around the garden.

 

Hyesung and Eric started getting closer. They even had lunch together.

"Since when did you two become close?" Junjin asked the both of them.

"Since the teacher paired us for class projects?" Hyesung replied, Eric just smiled.

"I thought you didn't like him?" Junjin whispered to Hyesung. Apparently, Eric heard that.

"I didn't like him too." Eric said, and Hyesung glared at him. "But I do now."

"Hey why are you blushing?" Junjin asked Hyesung, and the latter threw an empty milk carton at him. "Ouch!" Eric laughed.

"I'm done." Hyesung got up and left the cafeteria.

"Hyesung-ah." Eric called while running towards him. "Now our project is done, what are you going to do after class?"

"Why?"

"Just asking. Are you still going to meet my nephew?"

"Maybe." Eric flashed a smile. "What about you?"

"I got a new job. And I'm starting in two days."

"Great."

"Hm I was thinking..." Eric glanced at Hyesung. "To ask you out tomorrow, after class." Hyesung slowed down his pace.

"Why?"

"Now that we're friends, I want to treat you to... um... anything."

"Why?"

"Um... Because I want to celebrate being friends with you?" Hyesung laughed.

"Okay." Eric turned to look at him.

"Really?" Hyesung nodded. "Yahoooo! It's a date then!" Eric ran towards the class, leaving the blushing Hyesung behind.