07

Prince and the Frog

 

The next day, Eric kept on grinning and smiling during class.

"What's wrong with you?" Hyesung asked when the class finished.

"Nothing. Hehehe."

"Why were you grinning like an idiot the whole day?"

"So you noticed?"

"Of course. I was right beside you." Hyesung stared at Eric.

"I have a date today." Eric grinned when Hyesung's face turned red.

"Oh. That means you cancelled our plan?"

"Don't be silly. I have a date with you." Eric whispered at Hyesung's ear, and it too turned red.

"Crazy." Hyesung grabbed his bag and walked out of class.

"Hyesung-ah. Wait up." Eric ran to catch up with him. Eric didn't tell him anything yet about the 'date', so Hyesung kept on walking, with Eric tagging along behind him. The walk was awkward. "Do you even know where are we going?"

"Nope. I was hoping you would show me the way."

"We're on the right track, so far." Hyesung heard Eric chuckled. They finally arrived at the park. Hyesung stopped and looked at Eric, but the latter shook his head. "Keep going." Hyesung continued walking, and soon they reached the toy store. Eric smiled.

"Here? Why?" Hyesung asked, confused.

"I didn't say anything." Eric replied, still smiling. "Now it's time to cross the street." Eric grabbed Hyesung's hand and brought him across the street.

"Let's eat first. I'm hungry." Eric said as he pulled Hyesung into the cafe. "What do you want to eat?" But Hyesung couldn't think. So Eric just ordered the same menu. "What are you looking at?" He asked Hyesung who was staring outside the window.

"Nothing." But Eric knew Hyesung was looking at the toy store.

"You want to go to that store later?"

"Nope." Hyesung aswered, and turned away from the window. Then their food came. "Waffles? I thought you were hungry."

"I am. That's why I ordered three sets." Eric grinned and started eating.

"What makes you think I'm not?" Hyesung asked, sounded serious. But Eric just laughed.

"You can order as many as you like. It's my treat."

After eating, Eric walked to the toy store. Hyesung was confused, but he still followed him.

"Hey Eric!" The frog guy named Dongwan shouted. Eric quickly walked towards him.

"Hey there." Dongwan turned to Hyesung. "How are you? And your-- um..."

"Head? Me and my head are just fine." Hyesung's answer made Dongwan laughed.

"I didn't know you're his friend." Dongwan pointed at Eric.

"We're classmates." Hyesung replied.

"We're friends now." Eric added, smiling.

"Glad you finally got friend from school Eric-ah." Dongwan patted Eric's shoulder.

"I thought they're your friends?" Hyesung asked Eric, and he knew what Hyesung meant.

"They're just classmates and teammates. You're the first friend I ever had from school."

"Wow." Hyesung was at loss for words. He'd never thought the popular, handsome, genius Eric had no friends at school.

"Appearance is not important. It's the heart that matters." Eric smiled, and Hyesung looked at him, surprised.

"I've heard that somewhere before."

"It's just a normal quote." Eric responded.

"I guess so." Hyesung just nodded, gave up thinking about it.

"So what are you guys doing here?" Dongwan asked.

"Oh we're just passing by." Hyesung spoke.

"We're looking for some stuff." Eric smiled at Hyesung.

"Hope you can find them yourself. I'm a little bit busy. You know how it goes, right Eric?"

"Right, right. Go on now." Eric patted Dongwan's back and pushed him away.

"What is he talking about?"

"That he’s busy?" Eric pulled Hyesung to a place where they could sit. Hyesung's heart skipped a beat. "Let's sit here." It was where Hyesung used to hang out with the Frog Prince before. "Are you okay?" Eric asked Hyesung who was still standing.

"Yeah." Hyesung took a seat next to Eric. "Do you always come here?"

"A few times." Hyesung looked at him. "To see Dongwan."

"You mean just recently, right? Dongwan was just here for a few weeks."

"Yeah. Just recently. How about you? Came here often?"

"Like I told you, I used to come here often. When what I came here for was gone, I stopped."

"Why?"

"Because since then, I don't have the reason to come."

"But you did come, when you bought the cap and ball for my nephew."

"He's special. I like him." Hyesung smiled.

"How about me? Now you come here with me. Am I special too?"

"I come here because you brought me here."

"So you don't like coming here with me?'

"I don't mean it like that." Hyesung sighed.

"Can I be the reason for you to come here?"

"What? Why? And why would I come here again?"

"That's why I ask you, can I be the reason for you to come here again?"

"Why would you want that?"

"Because this place seems to hold something special for you. When you come here, you seem to be in a very good mood. But since you don't, you become cranky and moody."

"That's what you think of me?" Eric nodded. "Maybe I just like being around toys and kids."

"That's cute." Eric giggled. "Why don't you work here? Like Dongwan."

"No. I can't. My parents wouldn't allow it."

"Well, just come here like you always did. That settles the problem."

"What problem are we talking about?"

"How to make Hyesung smile and not frown." Eric flashed a smile. "I like seeing you smile."

"Why?"

"Because I like you." Hyesung looked away, surprised hearing Eric's confession. His heart was beating fast; he wanted to run away from there. "Since I first saw you."

"What? Why? How?"

"I don't know. Do you need a reason to like someone?"

"But I'm a boy. You're a boy."

"I'm not saying we should get married now." Hyesung's face was burning. "We're still in school."

"But--"

"I don't expect you to give your answer now. And I certainly don't expect you to like me back. I'm just telling you how I feel." Hyesung let out a deep sigh.

"Thank you Eric." Hyesung looked around the store, and back to Eric. "Know what?" Eric looked at him expectantly. "I think I'll come here again tomorrow." With that, Hyesung smiled shyly and Eric grinned triumphantly.