01

Prince and the Frog

 

Shin Hyesung was walking towards the class when someone bumped into him, making him fell on his .

"Yaa!!" He shouted to that person.

"Sorry." That person bowed and walked away.

"Mun Eric!" Hyesung gritted his teeth as he got up from the floor.

It was the first class of the new semester. Being the president of the student council, Hyesung got to choose the best seat. He was about to go to the seat at the back, near the window, when someone beat him to it.

"Excuse me. That's my seat." He spoke. That person looked up. "You?"

"Hey there. I got here first. So it's mine." Eric replied.

"But--" Hyesung stopped when Eric smiled at him. "Ahh." He groaned, and took the seat next to Eric instead.

"By the way, it's nice to be in the same class with you again." Eric winked, making Hyesung cringed.

"Unfortunately, I don't feel the same." Hyesung stuck out his tongue at Eric, and looked away. Eric just laughed.

After a few weeks, the situation didn't get any better. One day, the teacher paired Eric and Hyesung for a project.

"I object." Hyesung raised his hand and got up from his seat. "I want a different partner."

"Why? Do you have any problem with Eric?" The teacher asked. Hyesung was thinking of an excuse, when the teacher turned to Eric. "How about you Eric?"

"I'm just fine." Eric flashed a grin at Hyesung.

"So it's done then." The class started, leaving the angry Hyesung still glaring at Eric.

"Why did you agree?" Hyesung asked after the class.

"I don't have any problem." Eric replied as he put his books into his bag.

"But I do. I don't like you." Eric just laughed at Hyesung's statement.

"You think I like you?" Hyesung's face was red from embarrassment. "Let's just do well on this project. After that, I promise I'll ignore you, if that's what you want." Eric got up and left the class. Hyesung just sat there, thinking of Eric's words.

"Good." He smirked, and left.

The project was due in two weeks. Hyesung decided to discuss on it every day after class.

"I can't." Eric innocently spoke.

"And why is that?" Hyesung held in his anger.

"I need to work." Hyesung widened his eyes.

"You? Working?" He chuckled.

"Yeah. I'm not rich like you. So I need to work." Eric left the class, leaving the jaw-dropped Hyesung.

The next day, Hyesung went to class, and found Eric sleeping.

"Hey Eric." Eric woke up and looked at him. "Let's just do it during lunch." Eric smiled.

"Thank you Hyesung. I appreciate it." Hyesung unconsciously flashed a smile. "But now can you please let me sleep?" Hyesung felt angry, he immediately left the class.

"What a jerk!" He shouted as he stomped his feet towards the toilet.

 

Eric was very cooperative during their discussion. He even brought books he thought they would need. For the first three days, everything went smoothly.

"Hyesung, can we skip today's discussion? I'm really tired." Seeing Eric's pale face, he agreed. Eric then slept in the class during the lunch break.

It went on for a few days. Hyesung didn't mind at first, because he obviously could do it by himself. But when he remembered about what Eric said before, he was determined to make sure this project goes well.

"Eric. Are you going to skip today's discussion too?" He asked.

"Nope. Today I'm good." Eric smiled and followed Hyesung to the library.

"Great. We're done." Hyesung said when the lunch break was almost over.

"Assa! Thanks to you." Eric flashed a smile, and got up to go to class. "Are you coming?" Hyesung picked up his stuffs and followed Eric.

It was eventually the due date. Hyesung submitted the project to their teacher.

"Everything okay?" The teacher asked, and Hyesung just nodded. "I knew you guys would do well together."

"What did the teacher say?" Eric asked when Hyesung returned to his seat.

"Well done?" Hyesung said, earning chuckle from Eric.

When Hyesung came to class the next day, he saw Eric laughing with another classmate.

"Hey." He greeted, but Eric didn't respond. Hyesung thought Eric didn't hear him, so he greeted again. "Hey Eric." Eric then looked at him.

"Hey." Eric said coldly, and turned back to his friend. Hyesung felt angry.

After a few weeks, Hyesung could feel Eric was avoiding him on purpose. Eric didn't even look at him when he came to class. One day, he decided to confront Eric.

"Did I do something bad to you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why are you avoiding me?"

"Didn't you say you don't like me?" Hyesung's eyes widened. "I'm giving you the distance you want."

"Really? How kind of you." Hyesung smirked. "Thanks for telling me this." He walked away, somehow feeling sad.

That night, Hyesung couldn't sleep. His mind was playing the images of Eric, since the first time they met.

 

"Hello. My name is Mun Eric." The new student introduced himself to the class.

"So Eric, you'll be sitting next to Hyesung. He's the class president."

"Great." Eric walked to his seat. "Hello there." He smiled, but Hyesung just ignored him.

After a few months, Hyesung and Eric still haven't become friends. Instead, Hyesung thought of Eric as his enemy.

"What's wrong with you? Are you playing around in class?" Hyesung was scolded by his father.

"No Dad."

"So why didn't you get the first place as usual?" His father threw away the report sheet.

"There's a new student in school."

"Don't you dare giving me excuses, Hyesung!"

"But it's the truth!"

"Leave now and do revision." His father continued doing his work as Hyesung left to his room.

 

Hyesung always struggled to get first place in everything he was doing. He didn't need any recognition from anyone. He just needed to please his father. And it made him stress. That was why he always kept his arrogant act whenever he was outside his house. And as a member of the student council, he never resorted to bully. He just made sure nobody would step on him, in any way.

"That's the new student?" Hyesung heard a few girls giggling near the basketball court.

"Yeah. He's hot. We're lucky he's in the basketball team."

"And smart. He even beat that arrogant rich kid in the exam." The girls laughed. Hyesung clenched his fists as he walked past the girls. They stopped laughing. Hyesung walked towards the coach and started his practice.

"Hyesung!" The coach suddenly called. Hyesung got up and stood still. "Because you injured your ankle last time, you won't be taking part in the upcoming match." Hyesung was shocked. "Eric!" Hyesung saw Eric stood a few metres away from him. "You replace Hyesung." Hyesung looked at Eric with hatred, as the other guy was receiving compliments from the other players.

"Are you okay?" Hyesung's best friend, Junjin, asked.

"I'm good." He nodded as he was cursing Eric silently.

 

The election day was coming. As Eric started to gain recognition from teachers and students, many suggested him to run for the position of president.

"I'm not interested in being a leader. Sorry." He answered every time people asked him to compete. When their homeroom teacher appointed Eric to be a candidate, Eric stood his ground. "I'm sure Hyesung is better than me." The teacher nodded, agreeing to what he said. But Hyesung snorted, and left the class.

 

One day, Hyesung went to the bookstore alone. He just wanted to get away from his house. As he was walking through the shops, he saw a toy store. He smiled and went into the store. He was looking around when he saw a man in a green frog costume. He laughed. The height of the man made the costume look small. The frog man was trying to attract little kids to try playing new toys. Hyesung just watched from afar, and he was amazed seeing how innocent those kids were for believing it was a real frog man. Suddenly, he heard the frog man laughed. It sounded familiar. He walked closer to see his face, but unfortunately, his face was covered. Hyesung sighed, and left the toy store.

The next day, Hyesung was planning to meet up with Junjin at the cafe after school. He ordered a drink, and waited for his friend. Then he realized the toy store was just across the street from the cafe. He smiled, thinking about the frog man and the innocent little kids. Suddenly, he saw a familiar figure running towards the toy store.

"Eric?" He asked himself, as the said guy walked into the store.

"Hey. Sorry I'm late." Junjin arrived, and Hyesung just ignored what he saw earlier.

 

Hyesung was having dinner with his family, when his mother suddenly spoke.

"Hyesung-ah. It's little Andy's birthday next week. Don't forget to buy him presents." Her mother smiled when Hyesung nodded. He missed his cousins so much. Every time they came to visit, Hyesung would always buy many toys to play with them. He decided to go to the toy store on the weekend.

"Ahh what should I buy?" Hyesung asked himself as he was browsing through the toys.

"Hi. Can I help you?" He heard a person talked to him, so he turned, just to see the frog man.

"Frog man!" He accidentally shouted, making other customers to look at him. He bowed and muttered sorry to them.

"Frog man?"

"Oh it's what I called you." Hyesung smiled. "Or do you want me to call you 'frog guy'? But I'm not sure about your age. So I think 'frog man' is more general." The frog man just laughed hearing his explanation.

"I'm still young. Maybe just a little older than you."

"Really? I'll call you 'frog guy' then."

"How about 'frog prince'? It sounds better." Hyesung laughed.

"Oho. Are you trying to improve your image because I called you 'frog man' earlier?"

"You can say so. Come on. You know 'frog prince' is catchier. Besides, little girls would love to play with me if I'm called 'the frog prince'."

"Fine." Hyesung replied, still laughing.

"Let's start over then. Hello, I'm the Frog Prince. May I help you?" Hyesung was holding in his laughter.

"Hello. I'm the Little Prince. I'm trying to find some toys for my cousins."

"Little Prince?"

"Hey you think you're the only one who wants to be a prince?" Frog Prince laughed.

"Why 'Little Prince'? Why not Prince Charming, or anything else?"

"I'm not that charming. Besides, Little Prince sounds nicer. And cuter." Hyesung giggled, and Frog Prince laughed again. "Hey stop laughing already, and help me find toys for my cousins."

"Alright. Sorry." Frog Prince grabbed Little Prince's hand and pulled him towards the new toys section. "How old are your cousins?"

"The little one is 9. He doesn't mind whatever I bought for him. It's his brother I'm worried about."

"And he is?"

"17, same age as me. He would always break the toys and made his brother cry." Hyesung sighed, thinking about his cousins. Frog Prince then took him somewhere else.

"Here. I think this would be nice. Both of them, and you, of course, can play together." Frog Prince pointed at a shelf.

"Board games?"

"Yeah. Why? You don't like it?"

"I never thought of board games before. I always gave him toys which he could play by himself." Hyesung smiled as his eyes wandering over all board games.

"Then these would be great for all of you." Hyesung nodded and picked one.

"How about this?" He showed Frog Prince a chess set.

"This requires intelligence, and patience."

"Oh. Minwoo certainly doesn't have those. How about this?" He showed Clue.

"This requires reasoning, and creativity."

"Sounds nice. How about this one?" He showed Twister.

"Aha. I personally like this one. This requires patience, endurance, and high level of skinship."

"What?" Frog Prince laughed seeing the shock on Little Prince's face. "No wonder you suited becoming the frog prince."

"Hey why would you say that?"

"Because the frog prince needs to be kissed to turn into human. And adding the fact that you like skinship, suits you well." Hyesung laughed, making Frog Prince took him into a headlock position. "Yaa!!"

"This is for laughing at me." Hyesung tried to break free, but Frog Prince hugged him from behind. "This is for saying I became a frog prince because I like skinship."

"But it sure suits you well."

"Ahh. If it wasn't for this head piece, I would have taken you down and kissed you!" Hyesung shocked hearing his words.

"What did you just say?" Frog Prince realized his mistake, so he let Little Prince go.

"Nothing. You can go and pay now. I need to do my job." Frog Prince turned and walked away from Little Prince, but the latter called him.

"See you again tomorrow?" Frog Prince just waved. Hyesung then left the store, feeling satisfied for meeting a new friend.