(Taestal) I am thankful for you

Soundtrack

“This is for the present, and for the rest of our lives, however long that may be”

          Taemin shouts from two stories below, black and white keys upon his fingers and forever in his eyes. He was wearing the leather jacket that Soojung loves, the red shoes that took them to places she’ll never forget, and the smile that has always made her happy. He presses the first note, and she laughs at this, maybe even waking up half of the people in the hospital, but she doesn’t care.

          Now that she thinks about it, she never really did; as long as she has him.

          “You smile, you smile looking at me. I’m thankful for that smile of yours…” he starts singing through the first chords, and Soojung can’t help but tear up a little, amidst the little-school-girl giggles of the nurses around them. His voice was like chimes on a summer afternoon, calming and everything else that’s beautiful in this world, and it takes her back to indefinite memories, days etched in the corners of her deteriorating mind.  Memories that will soon be non-existent, but beautiful nonetheless.

          Five minutes (and 34 ‘awww’s) later, the song ends. She claps with tears in her face, and she sees him crying also amidst the laughter. The ending was climactic and a manifestation of everything that they’ve been through and it’s their own definition of a happy ending.

          She takes her hands to cup around , and she whispers one of the most beautiful phrases in the universe: “Thank you”. He extends his hand at this, trying to reach out to her, saying that he knows; he always has and he always will.

          As they stay like that until the moon hides behind grey clouds, she thinks, this—this is perfection. Just them, her on her hospital pajamas, him on his favorite outfit, blissful and in love, trying to make the most of her numbered days, ticking off things from a bucket list of a life that’s about to be halted.  And truthfully, even though things may not end the way fairytales should, in her eyes, this is what perfection will always be like. 

          Them, together through everything.

--------------------------

a/n: for LoveNeedsSparks! Enjoy :)

And I would like to extend my thanks to all who requested and helped me through this challenge, it was honestly fun doing this. :)