Chapter Six

Drawn to you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo quickened his pace further. He tried to keep step with Jongin and his long legs. Then, suddenly, Jongin stopped and turned around. Kyungsoo quickly tried to hide, did Jongin see him? In his mind, Kyungsoo searched for excuses, then he saw that Jongin made a motion with his hand, telling someone to come quickly.

 

A boy then came running to him, Kyungsoo thought he surely wasn't older than fifteen. He had a sketch block in his hand, he stretched his other hand towards Jongin, who took his hand.

Kyungsoo wondered how Jongin's hand would feel like in his own hands. Jongin and the boy continued their way. From behind they looked exactly the same, the boy was just a bit shorter than Jongin. Kyungsoo wondered if the boy was Jongin's younger brother.

 

Kyungsoo followed them to a side road that wasn't as busy as the main street. He curiously looked around, he never was at this part of the city. After some while, Jongin and the boy turned left to another side road, Kyungsoo quickened his pace.

Then he saw that both were entering a rather old looking building, Kyungsoo looked up to the first floor and saw a large window.

It was a dance studio.

Jongin was taking dance classes? Kyungsoo was excited for some reason. He quickly entered the studio and went up the stairs, he hoped that he would be able to see Jongin dance.

 

At the first floor, he passed a door and saw a hallway. He tried to listen and heard Jongin's voice, so he turned left and peeked into the room, still hiding behind the door frame. Jongin spoke to someone, who seemed to be a bit older than himself.

The boy he saw earlier was sitting on the floor, in a corner, with his sketch block in his lap. When he looked up, Kyungsoo could see his face. He indeed looked exactly like Jongin, just a younger version. He had a scratch on his forehead, so it really was Jongin's younger brother. Kyungsoo smiled, he learnt much more about Jongin today.

 

When Jongin was still talking to the other man, the boy took out his pencil and opened his sketch block. Then Jongin turned around, went to the boy and tapped his shoulder. Then he did different motions with his hands, the boy did the same and nodded. It was sign language, Kyungsoo noticed. So his brother was mute?

 

Jongin went back and the music on his i-pod, he first moved around a bit to warm up, then he started dancing. Kyungsoo let the plastic bag on the floor, he clung to the door frame, because what he saw was the most beautiful thing he has seen in his life.

 

Jongin was moving his body to the beat, gracefully, beautifully, his moves were powerful and passionate. Every move spoke of a different emotion and Kyungsoo had to pull himself together, not to go to him and shower him with praise.

Kyungsoo couldn't take his eyes off of Jongin, he wanted to watch him all day.

 

Then the other man walked over to the i-pod, stopping the music. Jongin immediately stopped and Kyungsoo felt instantly disappointed.

 

“You have to pay attention to your right leg when you do the spin and...”, Kyungsoo notices that the other man must be Jongin's teacher. Jongin wiped away the sweat on his forehead, while listening to the teacher's instructions.

 

“Okay, practice some more, I will be back later.”

 

“Okay, thank you.”

 

Kyungsoo saw that the teacher wanted to leave the room, Kyungsoo panicked and grabbed his plastic bag. He looked right and left, but there was no chance to hide. He bustled, went right, but in this moment, the teacher came out and saw him.

He looked at Kyungsoo and smiled, then he turned around, “Jongin, here is a visitor for you!”. Kyungsoo was sure that his heart stopped beating completely. The teacher winked at him and went down the hall.

 

A few seconds later, Jongin came out of the room, obviously curious.

 

“Kyungsoo?”, the surprise was audible in Jongin's voice. Kyungsoo wanted to say something, but he wasn't able to. It was the first time Jongin called him by his name and he never liked the sound of his name better.

 

“Ehm, yes?”

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

Kyungsoo tried to smile, but he was sure it looked like a deformed grin. “Well, I was.. ehm.. well... grocery shopping and then I saw you and I followed you. Oh, sorry, I mean...”. Kyungsoo kept still and looked down. Jongin now surely thought that he was creepy.

 

“Come in.”

 

Kyungsoo was totally taken aback, did Jongin say that he should come in? He hesitated for a few seconds, then he slowly entered the room. Jongin moved his hand, he surely explained to his brother who Kyungsoo was. When the boy saw him, he stood up and smiled. Kyungsoo hoped that he will soon see Jongin smile to him like this too. The boy bowed to Kyungsoo, making a motion with his hand. Kyungsoo smiled and bowed too.

 

“Nice to meet you.”

 

The boy looked at Kyungsoo's lips, then he made a movement with his hands again.

“Nice to meet you too, he says.”, Jongin translated. “This is my brother, his name is Min Soo.”

“Min Soo”, Kyungsoo repeated.

 

Min Soo did another movement and Jongin translated again, “He said, since you are both Soo's, you are already friends.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled, “He already knows my name?”

“Yes”, Jongin answered, “I told him about you.”

“What did you say?”. Kyungsoo was sincerely curious.

“I just... told him about school.”

 

Kyungsoo wanted to know what he exactly talked about, but he left it at that for now.

 

“I see. I am sorry, I should have asked you beforehand, I don't want to interrupt your dance class.”

“It's okay. If you want, you can sit with Min Soo.”

“Sure.”, Kyungsoo smiled at the boy.

 

They both sat down on the floor.

 

“Is your forehead okay?”

Min Soo shifted his gaze from Kyungsoo's lips to his eyes and smiled, he nodded.

The boy put his sketch block on his lap again and opened it. Kyungsoo couldn't believe his eyes when he saw Min Soo's sketches.

 

“He is pretty talented, right?”. Jongin sat down in front of them.

“Talented? Jongin, the drawing is awesome! How old is he?”

“Thirteen.”

“This... this is amazing. May I?”. Min Soo handed him over his block. Each page was filled with beautiful drawings of trees, animals and landscapes, the lines were clear and professionally drawn.

 

“How is this possible?”

“He started to draw when he was 3. We early saw his potential.”

Kyungsoo smiled, “The talent for arts surely runs in your family.”

 

Kyungsoo looked up to Jongin, the sketch block still in his hands. He saw Jongin's sad expression on his face.

 

“I am sorry, did I say something wrong?”

“No”, Jongin answered, “it's okay. I just thought...”. Jongin paused and Kyungsoo hoped that he would continue.

“Yes?”

“It's nothing, sorry. I should continue with my dance practice.” He stood up and went to start the music on his i-pod again.

 

Kyungsoo felt terribly sorry, he was responsible for Jongin's sad expression. Min Soo touched him on his arm and a move and Kyungsoo knew that it was okay.

 

 

* * * * * *

 

 

They spent the next two hours like this, Min Soo drawing, Jongin dancing and Kyungsoo watching him. The longer he watched Jongin, the more he thought that the other boy was beautiful. Every move, every turn made Kyungsoo's heart beat faster.

 

After some while, Jongin paused the music, “I think I need a break.”

Kyungsoo quickly jumped on his feet, “I will go and buy something to drink.”

 

 

When Kyungsoo came back he saw Jongin and Min Soo sitting on the floor. Min Soo was signing something and Jongin patted his head, smiling. It was the first time he saw Jongin's smile and Kyungsoo couldn't help but feel jealous. He knew it was ridiculous, but he wasn't the reason Jongin smiled and the smile wasn't directed to him.

One day, Kyungsoo will make him smile. With this thought in mind, he entered the room and sat down next to the two other boys. He handed them the drinks and both thanked him.

 

“What dance style was it?”, Kyungsoo asked.

“Jazz”, Jongin simply answered.

"What other styles do you dance?"

"Ballet and Hip Hop."

 

Kyungsoo wanted to ask more, wanted to ask if he could see Jongin dancing ballet, but at this moment, his phone rang.

 

“Oh sorry, I...”.

“It's okay.”

 

Kyungsoo stood up and answered the call.

“Hey mom... yes I am sorry. I forgot... mom... at a dance studio. Jongin is here.”

Kyungsoo looked back at Jongin who had a worried expression on his face.

 

“Yes, okay...okay, mom. See you later.”

“Is your mom mad?”

“Well”, Kyungsoo sat down again, “first she was, I forgot to text her. But then I mentioned your name and then everything was alright”.

“She knows me?”

“Well, yes.”

“To talk to your parents about me?”

Kyungsoo hoped he didn't blush too much, “Yes?”

“What did you tell them?”

“I just told them... about school.”

Jongin nodded, “So, what did she say?”

“Well about tomorrow. I told her that we need to prepare for our project, but she wants to invite you for dinner. Ah, and Min Soo, please come too, you can play with my sisters.”

 

Kyungsoo saw that Jongin wanted to ask something, but then he didn't say anything.

 

“Well, if you like, please come around twelve o'clock, if you want we can meet at school first, we will go together then.”

“Okay, thank you.”

Kyungsoo smiled, he already anticipated the following day.

 

 

This anticipation didn't falter the whole day. When Kyungsoo was at home, he sat in front of the computer and read different articles and tutorials of sign language.

 

“What are you doing, Soo?”, his dad entered his room, a cup of hot cocoa in his hands. He put it down on Kyungsoo's table.

 

“Oh hey, dad. I just read something about sign language.”

“Because of Min Soo?”

“Yes”, Kyungsoo told his parents about his encounter with Jongin and his brother.

“You are a good boy”, he patted Kyungsoo's head, “But don't go to sleep too late.”

“Okay.”

“Good night, son.”

“Good night, dad.”

 

Later, when Kyungsoo lay in his bed, he couldn't stop being nervous. Tomorrow Jongin would come to his house, he would meet his family. But then he thought of Jongin and his wonderful smile and finally calmed down. He drifted to sleep, a contended expression on his face...

 

 

* * * * * *

 

The next morning, Kyungsoo woke up early. He took a shower, longer than usual and paid extra attention to his clothes. When he looked into the mirror, he made sure that not even a strand of hair was peeking out, usually he didn't pay much attention to it. Before he left his room to go downstairs, he made sure that everything was tidied up.

 

When he also made sure that his sisters were still sleeping, he went downstairs to the kitchen, his parents were already up.

 

“Heeey, Soo Aegi!”, his mother gave him a hug, “Did you sleep well?”

“Morning mom, morning dad. Yes, I did.”

“Did you dream of your crush?”

Kyungsoo's dad huffed.

“Mom...”

“You don't have to blush, honey.”

“Mom, please, don't say anything about the crush thing to him.”

“Of course I won't”, she pinched his cheek, “Come sit down, do you want to have a snack?”

 

 

After eating an apple, Kyungsoo set off to school about half an hour too early. Actually he wasn't a impatient person, but he couldn't wait to see the other boy.

 

When he arrived at school, he already saw Jongin and his brother waiting. His heart jumped a bit, Jongin was dressed completely in black, black trousers, a black long sleeve shirt and a black jacket. Kyungsoo tried to collect himself and to calm his racing heart, before he went to the two boys.

 

“You are early.”

“So are you.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled at Min Soo and made a sign. Min Soo was obviously surprised, and returned the sign with a big smile.

 

“Where did you learn this?”

“Oh, I just picked up a few things from the internet.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter