Chapter Four

Drawn to you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo's mind went blank for a while. Was Kim Jongin really talking to him? He gulped and then nodded, “Yes, of course.”

Jongin shortly looked at Baekhyun nodding, then he looked back at Kyungsoo, making a motion with his head to come and follow him.

Baekhyun took Kyungsoo's books and gave him an encouraging smile.

“This is your chance! Go, go, go!”.

 

Kyungsoo followed Jongin out of the school building, he had a hard time following his quick steps. Jongin seemed to notice, he slowed down.

All Kyungsoo could think about was Jongin, he smiled. Perhaps this really was his chance. Jongin led him to the back part of the school, where the sports field was. Kyungsoo couldn't take his eyes of Jongin's back, his broad shoulders. The sunlight was dazzling, Kyungsoo squinted his eyes and for a moment he was sure, he saw wings on Jongin's back. He reached out his hand, he wanted to touch them and feel them...

 

Jongin abruptly stopped, Kyungsoo retrieved his hand, still watching the other boy. Then Jongin turned around, eyes squinting.

“Why did you do this?”. Jongin's voice was calm but demanding.

Kyungsoo's heart couldn't decide whether to stop or beating faster and faster.

“Wha... what?”

“Why... did you do this?”, Jongin repeated, “You even got detention because of me.”

“It doesn't matter.” Kyungsoo went silent for a short while. “It wasn't your fault.”

 

Jongin was taken aback by these words, Kyungsoo could see it in his eyes, he suddenly seemed to be so much sadder than usual. He felt a sharp sting inside.

Jongin looked down and obviously struggled to find the right words.

“You didn't have to do this.”

“But you didn't hit that girl! They could have suspended you from school!”

“You shouldn't get yourself involved with me.”

“Why?”. Kyungsoo took a step forward, Jongin immediately backed away. Kyungsoo felt his heart sink. “I know you aren't a bad person!”, then he whispered “Actually I am sure it's quite the contrary...”.

 

Jongin didn't say a word, he just looked at Kyungsoo, his eyes were sad and pleading.

“Actually, I wanted to say thank you”, he said then, “but please don't talk to me again.” He his heels, ready to walk away, away from Kyungsoo.

 

“Is this what you say to all the people surrounding you?”.

Jongin stopped and slightly tilted his head.

“'Don't talk to me', 'Don't come near me'?”, Kyungsoo continued, he tried to fight his tears the best he could. “I think I know, why you are doing this, but I don't know what you are afraid of.”

 

Jongin then completely turned around to Kyungsoo, staring right into is eyes.

“Then tell me. Why am I doing this?”.

Kyungsoo felt extremely nervous, but he had to gather his courage, he had to do this.

“I am not sure what you are trying to hide, but I think I know why you are pushing all people away, who try to speak to you, who try to come near you.”

Jongin's facial expression didn't change, he let Kyungsoo continue.

 

“There are two reasons. The first reason is, you are pushing people away, because you don't want them to like you. The second reason is, you test them. You want to know if the people are persistent and interested enough in you, so they don't give up talking to you.”

 

Jongin's facial features, all of a sudden, softened. He opened his mouth, in an attempt to say something, but he didn't say anything.

“Was Sehun like this?”, Kyungsoo asked in a calm voice, “Was Sehun persistent enough? And was he courageous enough not to be driven away by your alleged cold attitude?”.

Jongin's eyes reflected a mix of different feelings: surprise, emotion, maybe hope?

 

“Just... don't talk to me again. Please.”

Jongin turned around again and walked away. Kyungsoo wasn't ready to give up yet, he run after him.

“Let's do the literature project together!”.

Jongin once again turned around. “What?”

“The literature project. Let's to it together. You need a partner, right? And as far as I know, the last two years Sehun was your partner, but this year you don't share a class, you could do the project in.”

Jongin bit his lip, he seemed to be thinking about something. Kyungsoo tried not to be affected by this, he always liked when Jongin bit his lip.

 

“I don't have a partner either and I thought perhaps we could help each other out.”

Jongin still looked skeptical, but he seemed to think about it.

“You owe me. I got detention because of you.” Kyungsoo remarked, sassy. He wasn't sure but he thought he saw a little smile on Jongin's lips.

 

“So you really want to do this?”, Jongin asked.

Kyungsoo nodded, “Yes, please. I won't demand anything, just let's do this project together.”

“Are you sure, you won't demand anything?”

Kyungsoo still didn't know what exactly Jongin was afraid of. Nonetheless he nodded.

“We could review 'Holding on to the air', perhaps...”.

Jongin looked surprised, “How do you know...?”

Kyungsoo got nervous, “Ehm... I saw you reading that book, actually it was the only book I saw you reading more than once, so I though you really must like that book...”, Kyungsoo really tried not to stutter. Did he say too much? Did he scare Jongin?

He looked at the other boy, unsettled, but still hopeful.

“Okay then”, Jongin said.

That took a load off Kyungsoo's mind. He sighed, relived.

“But... please don't ask anything of me.”

“Yes, sure, what should I ask for...”

“We have to met at school, you can't come over to my house.”

Kyungsoo was curious why, but he nodded, “Sure.”

 

Jongin looked down and sighed, “I didn't expect this conversation to have this outcome.” It was merely a whisper, Kyungsoo wasn't able to catch. He wanted to ask, but then Jongin turned around and was about to walk away. He stopped once more and turned his head, “Thank you once more.”

 

Kyungsoo wasn't sure if Jongin thanked him for standing up for him or for something else. But he smiled, he was able to talk to Jongin, he even agreed to be his project partner. A warm feeling spread in his chest.

“See you then!”, Kyungsoo shouted and waved. Jongin looked back and nodded.

The sunlight of the setting sun shone on Jongin's back and Kyungsoo thought, he was beautiful.

 

 

* * * * * *

 

 

Kyungsoo felt relieved and contented when he walk back to school main entrance. Baekhyun was already waiting for him, with his own and Kyungsoo's books in his arms. Once he caught sight of Kyungsoo, he sprinted to him.

 

“What did he say, what did he say?”

“He... thanked me. Even twice.”

“Ohh wow”, Baekhyun seemed excited.

“And he agreed to do the literature project with me, I totally didn't force him to.”

Baekhyun seemed surprised, then he smiled, “Your courage paid off, congrats.”

“Thank you.”

 

Kyungsoo took his books from his friend, who immediately slung his now open arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder.

“Let's go and eat ice cream to celebrate the day Do Kyungsoo finally was able to talk to his crush!”.

Kyungsoo smiled and let Baekhyun drag him to the near located ice cream shop.

 

 

* * * * * *

 

 

“Oh my god, I see a smile on your face!”, Kyungsoo's father greeted him at home, “Did something happen? You were so gloomy yesterday, did the Hyun Bin guy do something to you?”.

Kyungsoo just smiled and took off his shoes. “I will tell you later. Where is mom and the twins?”.

“Your mother took the day off today. After sleeping for twelve hours and letting me to all the chores like always, she went to the mall with the girls. They will be here in about in hour, I think.”

“Oh okay. I will go upstairs and take a shower then.”

“Alright, take your time, son. Then I have t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter