014

The Wedding Planner
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

▲ So Close - Jon McLaughlin

Kyungsoo fiddles with his phone as he waits for Gureum to arrive. He sends another text message (his fifth in fifteen minutes) to her saying that she is running late. The girl does not reply and Kyungsoo is getting worried.

 

“Is she on the way?” Taeyeon, Gureum’s mother asks the doe-eyed boy in a whisper. Kyungsoo lies and says that his best friend is almost near the restaurant. Taeyeon smiles as she is assured with Kyungsoo’s word.

 

Junsu, Gureum’s step father continue to talk with Baekhyun’s father while Baekhyun chats with Gureum’s step brother, Junmyeon. Both pairs of boys get along and Taeyeon cannot help it but talk to Baekhyun’s mother. The three parties talk about different subjects and Kyungsoo is left alone. He sits in a bustling table with people yet he feels unnoticed.

 

He checks his phone once again but no notifications pops up. Gureum is nowhere to be found and he is really getting worried. His fingers tap on the table and he tries his best to not bite his fingernails – most especially in a time like this.

 

He reminds himself not to give his best friend a sermon on why someone should not be late on occasion like this: a dinner of both her and fiancée’s families. Kyungsoo’s thinking is interrupted when Baekhyun suddenly excuses himself from the table.

 

Junmyeon nudges Kyungsoo and gives him a look to which the latter interprets as a ‘where the heck is Won Gureum’ look. He just gives Junmyeon a thumbs up and the other boy goes along with it. Junmyeon does know Gureum.

 

A few minutes later, Baekhyun comes back and Gureum is with him. Their arms are linked together and their hands are intertwined. Kyungsoo sees them and he sees how Baekhyun looks at Gureum. He knows and he sees because that is how he looks at her – full of love.

 

Baekhyun sits after he has seated Gureum beside him. The table goes back to life and a lot of chattering sounds fill the atmosphere. Gureum is deeply indulging in a talk about Contemporary Art which is started by Baekhyun’s brother, Baekbeom. She smiles and shares her thoughts and Kyungsoo cannot help himself but just be captivated by her.

 

A lot of topics are raised in the table but the discussions lessen when the food is being served. Baekhyun’s father asks Gureum some things and Taeyeon talks to Junsu about some wedding details. Kyungsoo is once again left alone until Gureum taps his shoulder and engages into a small talk.

 

“Was I really that late? Sorry, I didn’t reply. I took the bus tonight and the traffic was unbearable. I did text Baekhyun though,” she says in a whisper.

 

Kyungsoo merely replies with a shrug (answering the late question) and a: “it is okay. At least Baekhyun knows you’re safe.”

 

Gureum gives Kyungsoo a small smile and Baekhyun steals her away into a conversation.

 

Baekhyun’s parents ask about Kyungsoo’s presence because they are curious why the wedding planner is joining the dinner. “Why is Mr. Do with us?”

 

Taeyeon smiles at the couple. “Kyungsoo is like my adopted son. He and Gureum have been friends since they were kids. He is like our son already – a family member.”

 

Baekhyun’s mom nods her head and welcomes Kyungsoo to the family as Baekhyun’s dad reaches his hand out. Kyungsoo shakes it and the old man acknowledges him.

 

While waiting for the desserts to be served, they all engage in another round of discussions when the band starts playing. The music gets the attention of some of the people at the restaurant. Some start to stand and go to dance floor, holding their special ones close to them while they dance.

 

Baekhyun declines his brother’s incessant teasing for him to take Gureum to the dance floor because he cannot dance. Plus, he is talking to Junsu about Gureum. You never ditch the girl’s father.

 

Gureum says that it’s alright and just keeps herself busy by looking at the people dancing. Kyungsoo notices her. He stands up from his seat and fixes his suit blazer. He extends his hand to the girl sitting beside him and Gureum looks at Baekhyun first, as if she is asking for permission. Baek

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter