Chapter 5

A Lifetime Contract with Kwon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    It was a bright afternoon when we arrived in Seoul from New York, where Jiyong and I got married. The marriage is not a grand as I thought it would be, but I was relieved when I saw that only Chaerin, Seungri, Seunghyun, Daesung and Minzy with their parents and Mr. Kim, Grandpa/Mr. Kwon’s secretary, and of course, Granpa himself was there during the wedding. Now, it is only the two of us who are back from New York. As soon as the private jet landed, Jiyong went somewhere I don’t know because he said he has to meet someone, while I immediately head back to the Kwon’s mansion.

I gaze at my new room. It is so huge unlike the guest room where I used to stay way back when I was still Park Sandara. I’m Kwon Sandara now.

I wander my eyes inside my new room. Everything around me changed – my name, my clothing, my lifestyle, my status… and the list goes on. Can I cope with these? Do I deserve these things? Will I be able to fit in?


“Don’t bring your filthy attitude in here.”

My heart constrict as I heard Jiyong’s stern voice inside my head. I also remember the way he looked at me that time. It’s like annoyance mixed with disgust. I don’t know. The thought is unsettling. We haven’t talked about that yet and I haven’t apologized to him when I kneed his balls. Why did I do that? The mere thought of it makes me blush. Should I go apologize to him? But he hasn’t apologized when he said I have a filthy attitude. What should I do? Perhaps I should just take the first move. By the looks of him, I can feel he’s not that type of person who says sorry first to the one he offended. We’re married now. It’s not good to always argue with your husband, right? Maybe I should be the one reaching out to him? Okay, it’s settled.I’ll talk to him later.


I was lost in deep thoughts of how should I approach him later when I heard a few knocks on my door. A servant went inside my room.


“I’m sorry to disturb your rest, young lady, but there’s a woman looking for you downstairs. Her name is Park Bom. She said she’s your friend and that she needs to talk to you. Should I ask her to wait or should I send her away?”

Oh, my! Bom! She’s here!


“No! Don’t send her away!” I half-scream startling her.


“Uh, sorry. Can you please bring her here? I want to talk to her.”


“Certainly, young lady.”


“Wait! You know, uh, it makes me uncomfortable with you calling me ‘young lady’. Please call me Dara.”


“I’m sorry, young lady. It’s a protocol here in the household to call you young lady. I’ll end up losing my job if I call you just by your name.”


“Oh, sorry.”


She bowed then leave.


“You what?! You married that Kwon Jiyong already?!” Bom shouted. Shock is written all over her face. I just told her that I married Kwon Jiyong.
I nod as I keep my head low.


“When?”


“Last week.” I answered my voice barely audible.


I can’t bear looking at her straight in the eyes right now, not after telling her my ‘most stupid decision I’ve ever made in my 19 years of existence’.


“Do you know what you’ve gotten yourself into? This could be the most stupid decision you have ever made in your 19 years of existence!”


See? I’ve seen this coming.


“Bom…” I started, but failed when she continued speaking.


“Dara… you married a man you barely know. Yes, I know he’s so damn rich, plus he’s hot as . I even think their family can buy Seoul City if they want to. But still, you don’t know him. A month ago, some goons knocked you out. Then there comes the Kwons saving you from those s. You stayed with them, because it’s safer there. That, I understood. I don’t know what else happened during your stay with them. I didn’t see you for almost 4 weeks, as well as your family. I tried checking the hospital where your mom is confined, but she’s gone. The nurses said she was moved to another hospital. I didn’t know that. I also tried checking the apartment where you live, but no one’s there. The landlady told me that you’re going overseas. All of you just disappeared and that made me so worried.” Her last words became a whisper. I heard a sob, so I looked up then see her wiping the tears that had escaped her eyes.


Oh, my. I made my bestfriend cry. This is so unlike Bom. She rarely cries. The last time she cried because of me was when I told her I’m going to join our field trip, but end up not joining because of lack of money. She ends up joining the fieldtrip alone without her bestfriend. The thing was, that was a decade ago. I don’t want her to cry because of me. Not now, not in forever. I should’ve known that she’d be extremely worried.


“I know they helped you. But, are you ready for this? You’re so young to be married. You’re only 19 for heaven’s sake! Plus, you haven’t been into any relationship. You’ve never had your boyfriend before. I’m afraid for you. This is marriage we’re talking about, you know. Deciding this matter is not as easy as giving away flyers. Marriage is a lifetime contract, Dara. Are you sure you want to share a lifetime contract with Kwon?” she looked at me in the eyes.


A lifetime contract? Yes, it is. Bom’s right. I’m too young for this. What do I know with marriage? What do I know about being in a relationship? I don’t know. Suddenly, I feel dizzy. This is so much to take in. She’s all right. I should’ve asked her. I should’ve let her know before deciding into this matter.


“Bom!” I cried out as I leaped to her, taking her by surprise. Tears started to stream down my cheeks, tears that I have been keeping for the past few weeks. I missed my friend. She’s my only confidant to whom I tell everything aside from my mom.


“I’m so sorry for making you worry. It’s just that, everything happened so fast. Even I can’t believe that I married him. I don’t know what else to do. Eomma is dying. I have to save her. I can’t support my brother alone. My father wants this. He believes it’s best for me, for my family to be with the Kwons. It’s for him. I want to make him happy wherever he is now. I’m so lost, Bom. I’m so lost.” I confess everything to her in between my sobs.


“Oh, Dara. Don’t do that again, understood? You always make me worried. I’m your best friend. Of course I’m worried for you and your family.” She said as she hugs me tighter.


“Did something happen a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter