Tao

Miracles In December

TAO

 

 

 

 

 

 

Whenever he would pass by, people would move aside or lower their gaze or start whispering about how dark and scary he looks with his sullen expression. Not to mention those dark circles under his eyes. Some wonder why he always had them when he did not have the reputation of a studious kid. Surely something else kept him awake in the night. Gang fights maybe? The possibility of him working at night was only accepted when the assumption was that he worked with some loan sharks or some other kind of dirty people. Whatever it was, people just did not look at him very nicely. It’s been more than a year since he moved to Korea and people still see him the same.

Not that he cared, really.

Tao huffed as two girls so obviously steered away from him when they found him seeking shelter under the roof in front of the convenient store. It was raining, and it was a shame that he never brings an umbrella. His mom would always remind him, but it was just so out of character to carry an umbrella. He’d rather walk in the rain.

He hadn’t stayed there very long when he was joined by a girl with a bright blue umbrella.

”Oh!” Hana said, looking up at him with widened eyes. ”I didn’t notice your there! Creeper.” Tao shrugged indifferently. ‘Better than being noticed all the time.’ He thought. ”Are you waiting it out?” She asked, pointing her thumb towards the street drenched by the rain. He shrugged again, and she sneered. ”Come on, let’s have some shin ramyeon. I’ll treat you.”

He followed her inside without a word.

She was always sort of…accepting. They had been neighbors since he moved, and even when he was frowning and acting like he wanted people to stay away, she was always annoyingly chipper. And she would keep talking to him even when he doesn’t say anything.

---

“Waah…that was some meal!” She said in satisfaction as she placed her now empty bowl on the table.

“Satisfying isn’t it? Especially on cold weathers like these” she said to the person sitting beside her. He in return just continued to take a sip of what’s remaining from his bowl.

Hana stared at Tao for a while, examining how he ate. He looked rather gentle when he’s eating. She sighed.

“Well, you were a real GREAT company and all but I’m late so I’ll be off then” She stood up and patted his back and left the convenient store.

Tao didn’t mind her at all and focused on finishing his food. It was still raining outside and it was already getting a bit late. He sighed and decided to just walk in the rain. He stood up and was about to leave when he saw a blue thing under the chair next to him.

‘Umbrella?’ he snorted ‘what are the odds’ he thought

He took the umbrella and looked around if someone inside the store will protest and claim the umbrella. Seeing that no one was doing anything he took the umbrella and went home.

-------------------

The alarm rang exactly 5:00 in the morning. Tao got ready and put on his school uniform on and packed some things on his bag. It was still dark outside, when Tao left home. He walked the streets until he reached the hospital. He continued to walk and go up the building ‘til he reached a room at the end of the hall. He opened the door and found his mother sleeping on the chair next to the hospital bed. He placed his bag on the floor and woke his mother up.

“Ma. I’m here” he said, tapping his mom’s shoulder.

“oh?” she stretched her arms “honey, you’re here.” she said, looking at her wrist watch

“You should get home and rest before going to work. I’ll take care of things in here”

“Arasseo” she said then went to the sleeping figure on the bed. “I’ll be back later” she whispered.

“Don’t be late for school. Jina will be okay by herself” his mother said before leaving and he nodded.

He waited for the door to close and went beside the bed and stared at the girl peacefully lying on the bed, observing carefully her breathing.

“Yah! I can feel your intense stare” the girl’s eyes opened.

He giggled

“How are you?”

“I’m okay. You don’t have to visit me every morning. Just get some sleep oppa, or at least take some time studying. I heard from mom that you’re slacking. Aish” she said sitting up on the bed.

“I’m fine. I don’t need school or sleep” he said crossing his arms

“sheesh. You need to enjoy your time oppa. Get some friends! just like Jina! Jina has lots of friends!” she said pointing to herself

“Friends?” he asked in a mocking tone “Who? Your nurses?” he laughed at her

“FYI I have lots of friends. Some even visit me every day”

He laughed at her

“Arasseo” he said teasing her

“I’m serious! You just don’t get to see him since he comes at night.”

“Him?” his shocked expression evident on his face

“Yup! I should introduce him to you. So you’ll have a friend for a change” she said laughing as she remembered her friend.

“I’ll pass” he said but he was rather concerned about this friend his sister was talking about.

-------------------

It wasn’t in Tao’s routine to go visit Jina during the night. But he was curious about this friend she was talking about. He was concerned if this person likes his sister and may end up getting hurt especially when her last moments on earth was being counted. Not that he wanted his sister to be depressed he just pitied anyone that will get left behind, including him and his mom. Tao’s face turned sour at the thought of his sister dying any moment, that’s why he made sure to visit her every day before going to school. Jina has always been sickly, she basically lived there for three years ever since they’ve heard of her disease. Hospital costs were really expensive so Tao and his mom had to move a few times to get a cheaper unit to cover hospital bills. Tao was shocked the first time he heard that his only sister had this kind of disease and why out of the billions of people on earth, it was his precious sister that caught it. It was also the reason he didn’t hang out or had fun with anyone else. He wanted to spend it with his sister. But Jina, never did lose hope. She always smiled and will tell them to smile as well. And that was what Tao wanted for his sister, to be happy until her time comes. His thoughts were occupied that he didn’t notice that he had already arrived in front of her room. He stood quietly and listened to get a hint of what was happening inside. He didn’t hear much, just the sound of the television. He opened the door slightly and peeked inside, only to see his sister sitting on her bed hugging her pillow with her eyes glued on what she was watching.

‘I guess he didn’t visit today?’ he thought and he opened the door wide and entered.

“Oppa! You’re here! Come here, this is such an interesting movie!” she said only taking her eyes of from the screen when he entered.

“That’s not a lovey dovey movie isn’t it?” he asked sitting beside her

“Ani. Just watch” she said

Tao fixed his eyes on the screen as he was told.

“By the way, your friend didn’t come today?” he asked

“Ani. Popcorn” was all she said “What’s taking so long anyway?” and as if on cue, the door opened and a person came walking in with two large popcorn bags in hand.

“What did I miss?!” the person said immediately going beside Jina and handing her one of the popcorn bags.

Tao had a confused expression when he saw the person.

‘Him?’ he thought

The person and turned to sit but was surprised to see Tao sitting on the chair.

“WAAAH!!” both Tao and Jina jumped up in surprise of her reaction

“Creeper! What are you doing here?”

“I should be asking that to you” he said after clearing his throat

“Wait. You know each other?” Jina asked

“Well yeah”

“Man. And here I thought I was able to introduce someone new to my brother”

“This person was the ‘HIM’ you were talking about?” Tao asked in confusion

“He’s your brother?” the person asked

“Yes” Jina answered both of their questions

“HIM?!” Tao asked again. Jina nodded

“HIM?!” he asked again

“Yes oppa! What’s wrong with you?!” Jina said

“what’s wrong? Well, for starters, your friend is not a ‘HE’ at all. She’s a girl!”

“Silly Oppa! Of course I know that, it’s just that Hana eonnie acts like a boy that’s why I always call her a boy”

“Yah! Who acts like a boy, huh?! She said

“Arasseo eonnie. Bianhe. Now let’s watch the movie” Jina said and both tao and hana sighed

“Hey creeper. Let’s just share this popcorn, I’m too lazy to go out again.” Hana said, sitting next to Jina on the bed.

The three watched the movie. But Hana laughed at how the siblings cried during the movie. She kept on teasing both Jina and Tao while waiting for their mother to arrive at the hospital. When she arrived Hana bid her farewells and went home. Since Tao had school tomorrow, he went home with Hana. Hana and Tao were now walking the street, Hana was leading and Tao followed her. She was listening to a song on her phone and was humming a tune, that was rather familiar to Tao so he listened. He was surprised when she suddenly turned to him

“Do you know that this is me and Jina’s favorite song” she said

‘ah no wonder why it’s so familiar’ he thought

“Want to listen to it?” she came running to him. and before he could protest he plugged her other earphone to his left ear. And they continued walking in silence while listening to the song.

“This song is called You’ve got a friend” she started “it’s originally by James Taylor but I like McFly’s Rendition”

“We actually became friends because of this song. I always visited the hospital because of my mom. The day my mom died I was crying at the hospital and she I saw Jina standing in front of me. She didn’t say anything but she just plugged an earphone to my ear and sat beside me while I cried. It was the best comfort I ever received. Ever since then, I’d visit her at the hospital. She’d tell me lots of stories, especially about you. She always worried how much you worried about here that you couldn’t enjoy your life. Then she’d tell me to find you to have fun, but it was such a surprise that it was actually you who was Jina’s brother”

Tao just looked at Hana as she spoke. And he knew that something was different about this girl. She had always accepted him, even before knowing he was Jina’s brother. She was not like any other girl. She was more special.

“You know. Now that we’ve also shared this song does that mean were friends as well. Huh, creeper?” she asked turning to him.

He took her hands and walked.

“Is that a yes?”

“Maybe, and maybe more than that in the future” he said as he walked faster