---/ 13 /

Euonymus

Daniel shoved Dongwoo off him. He wanted to punch his guts out. Instead, he slapped Dongwoo’s head like a crazy woman would do with her drunken husband. He couldn’t contain everything inside anymore. Daniel finally snapped and unleashed the foul mouth he kept under surveillance until that exact moment.

“YOU LITTLE PIECE OF ,” Daniel exploded each time he’d apply another blow “YOU DON’T KISS YOUR BROTHER ON THE LIPS, YOU DON’T DO THAT YOU ING IDIOT!”

Dongwoo’s hands flew to protect his head, though it was too late. He whined and whimpered, each time lowering his body more and more in face of the sudden outburst. Soon, he’d end up on his knees if not for his desperate cries.

“I’M SORRY, I’M SORRY, I WAS SO CURIOUS SINCE HIGH-SCHOOL, I’M SO SORRY!”

Daniel suddenly stopped, hand in mid-air and a perplexed look had scattered over his angry expression. His fingers curled back as he lowered his arm and placed both hands over Dongwoo’s shoulders. With a tilted head and a snarl about to scare both of them, Dongwoo hiccupped two times before he finally bowed his head as an apology, awaiting a final blow.

“Curious of what?” Daniel ignored his little gesture and asked with his normal tone. Dongwoo didn’t dare look him in the eyes, shuffling from one foot to the other. He tried to laugh it all away, but Daniel wasn’t impressed.

“Your lips...” he mumbled.

“My what?”

“Your...” Dongwoo exhaled and spoke clearly “lips.”

“What’s with them?”

“THEY’RE BIG, OKAY? YOU HAVE HUGE LIPS AND I WAS CURIOUS HOW THEY FELT!”

“YA! LIKE YOURS AREN’T BIG! GO MAKE OUT WITH YOUR PORTRAIT!”

"I DON'T HAVE GOBY FISH LIPS!"

"NO, YOU'RE A ING MONKEY!"

After another round of slaps and apologizes from Dongwoo’s side, the brunette finally came to his senses.

“Oh my God...” Dongwoo grabbed his brother and shook him hard. “Did I just kiss you?!”

Another round later in which Dongwoo learnt how to mix a cocktail using Daniel’s body and invented enough excuses for a corporation’s entire publicity campaign, Daniel had finally forced his brother to calm down and not exaggerate a minor incident. He would let that one slip because nobody got hurt. And it wasn’t as if Dongwoo had actual feelings for Daniel that went beyond their brotherhood. It was an unfortunate event in which his stupid brother wanted comfort and ended up with more. He probably mistook Daniel as one of his girlfriends and that was it. Of course they were all lies to put the blond at ease. He watched as Dongwoo struggled to go out, muttering about food. Daniel caught up from behind and stopped him before he’d do any more damage.

“I’ll go get something to eat, alright?”

Dongwoo stared at him before he pointed at the car parked not far from them.

“I brought food already! Why waste more money?” Daniel stopped him again. “What now?!”

“Keys,” he wiggled his fingers “I’ll get the food.”

“I didn’t lock it...” Dongwoo admitted while he tried to get out again. The blond rushed and pushed him back inside with all of his might. Those extra hours of sleep had been fruitful. Expecting to protest again, Daniel covered Dongwoo’s mouth with his palm and eyed him with a warning.

Defeated, Dongwoo handed him the keys and waited at the entrance. He watched his brother waddle in slippers too big for his feet. It kind of amused him the way he tried so hard to avoid the ice. Snow fell slowly and gave Daniel’s hair a crown of glittering frozen jewels. When the blond finally got near the vehicle, he saw him checking the door and as Dongwoo said, it was unlocked. Daniel’s came straight in his view, lighted by the lampposts. It confused Dongwoo. Why in the world did half of his brother disappear inside the car? He shook his head and hurried there. He grabbed onto the door and watched Daniel struggle to reach the food which was on the other side.

“Almooost...” he encouraged himself.

Dongwoo slapped his forehead for effect before he went around and opened the door from the driver’s seat. He took the two bags and the third which he salvaged from the burnt apartment that very morning. He watched as Daniel slowly crawled inside and took a seat with a longing gaze directed towards the steering wheel.

“Hey...” Dongwoo called, worried that the blond might catch a cold for real if they’d spend more time outside.

“You drove here, right?” Dongwoo nodded, unsure if he should throw his brother over his back and carry him to a warmer place. That would be something worth put on tape, but he had nobody available to film their constant bickers.

“Yeah...” Daniel got his answer from a hesitating Dongwoo.

The blond slowly turned his head in his brother’s direction, struggling not to insult him some more. From all the anger which possessed him, he suddenly felt like crying again. But he knew that if he were to shed tears, Dongwoo would do the same and he’d act worse than Daniel.

“Don’t ever do that again...” Daniel got out of the car and slammed the door behind him. He went around, snatched the bags from Dongwoo’s hands and gave his keys back. “Never, you understand that?”

“But...” Dongwoo shut the driver’s door, set the alarm from the keys and followed Daniel back inside. With their shoes discarded, Dongwoo’s coat hanging at the entrance and plates filled with takeout, silence became an early breeze none had the pleasure to avoid. Finally, after both fed their stomachs a little in order to numb the sensation of hunger, Daniel eyed the paper bag he got out with the food.

“What’s there?”

Dongwoo, still chewing on his meal, leaned forward to get a better look.

“Oh...” he pointed with his chin “isn’t that what you asked me to bring?”

Daniel thought hard about it, yet nothing seemed to come in his mind. Placing the chopsticks away, he searched through the paper bag. He stopped the moment he saw exactly what Dongwoo was talking about.

“Ahhh!” he grinned in his direction. “Thanks, Donghae will be happy.”

“Why did you keep that anyway?” Dongwoo inquired while he drank his water. He grabbed a slice of lemon and bit right out of it.

“He asked me to.” Daniel shrugged before he took the paper bag and disappeared to Henry’s room. Dongwoo inspected the glass, unsure if that thing would really sober him up. Nevertheless, he felt better than before. After his brother came back, he kneeled near Dongwoo with a bright smile and a wicked glint in his eyes.

“...you want something, don’t you?” Dongwoo laughed and patted his head. “You’re a sneaky kitty.”

“Wasn’t I a fish?”

“You sometimes are,” he ruffled Daniel’s hair and laughed some more “especially when you blank out and keep that mouth of yours opened wide.”

Dongwoo winced when Daniel punched him hard in the arm.

“Dye my hair!” he commanded and took him by surprise.

Dongwoo motioned for the other to turn around. His fingers went through Daniel’s locks, inspecting every shade of color and the way light fell over his soft hair. He really should ask for his secret because he couldn’t understand why it felt so nice under his fingertips. He dyed it for so many times, he expected his brother to appear one day bald and declare himself a Buddhist monk in training. After the inspection, he hugged him from behind and goofily smiled from the way his arms perfectly fit around Daniel’s body. His brother should really go more often to the gym or gain weight in order for Dongwoo to stop labeling him as a sickish child. Not that Daniel was one.

“What color?”

“Red?”

“No way!”

Dongwoo laughed again as he nuzzled his head.

“Brown?”

Daniel smiled and nodded.

“I think I have that one.”




 

---




 

Aluminum sheets embodied with a powerful stench rested on the small coffee table. On the sofa, one man with arms wrapped above his chest waited. The rushing water noisily filling the hallway calmed him. Daniel finally turned it off, twisted his newly light brown hair in the sink and used a clean towel to out the excess moist. The towel rested on his shoulders as Daniel grabbed his comb and parted each strand. 

It’s weird how much can one person change from such a minor detail. He thought that thicker eyebrows might completely change his innocent image, yet he wouldn’t risk it too soon. His boyish appearance had earned him enough favors so far and he wasn’t about to let that go. Mischievous or not, he admired the new Daniel staring at him from a mirrored world. He wondered, if he tried to go in there, would he be the same? Or an uglier Daniel would switch places with him? Not in looks – as those were identical – but in soul.

He leaned against the sink and came closer.

The black hole in the middle of his orbs in color. It was a miniature, static, galaxy in those sockets they called eyes. Every single answer could be found in those little cells. Tiny red veins reached them and acted as invisible strings, commanded by strong muscles hidden beyond a thin layer of skin. He blinked once. Everything had been swept away in a fraction of second, yet, he didn’t see it. The galaxy was still there, furiously searching for a stable position in an ocean of white.

He smiled.

Daniel wasn’t sure why, but there was something awful about that single line parting two plump pieces of flesh.

“Niel, you done?” He had been shaken out of the world which dared penetrate his own when Dongwoo called out his name.

Daniel pulled the towel off his shoulder and abandoned it near the sink. He rushed after Henry’s hairdryer in their shared bedroom and returned to the living room. Dongwoo changed his position, watched as Daniel plugged the hairdryer and then offered it to his brother.

Trapped on the floor and between Dongwoo’s legs, Daniel’s arms rested on his brother’s knees while he was taken care of. They weren’t professional hairstylists, but after Dongwoo finished everything and gave Daniel a few curly locks, he was damn proud.

Two cans of beer later (Dongwoo dreadfully regretted them) and some shared memories shattered through the prism of alcohol, the floor became a comfortable mattress.

“Move your leg!” Dongwoo whined as he tried to get his brother’s foot off his body. “You’re too damn long.”

“Am I too long everywhere?” Daniel snickered and kicked his brother in the hip. Dongwoo turned around and tickled the other until they were both a laughing mess. The brown haired one of the duo grabbed Dongwoo’s arm and didn’t let go. “You smell of lavender...”

“It’s that thing you bought me...” Dongwoo stared at the ceiling. He wasn’t for from falling asleep and it felt amazingly good. “That body lotion you got me for my birthday.”

“It fits you,” Daniel murmured with his eyes closed. The perfume veiled and numbed his senses.

“What does it mean?”

“Love, devotion... calmness, serenity...” Daniel yawned as he cuddled at Dongwoo’s chest “grace...” he spit the chuckle inside his throat. That moment shouldn’t be ruined by Dongwoo tripping over his high-heels. That special SNSD stage shall never leave them.

“That doesn’t sound like me...” Dongwoo mumbled a couple of times before Daniel finally understood him.

“Yes it does!” they finally exchanged the glances they’d been minimizing for the entire evening. “I know you best and lavender fits you perfectly.”

“Stubborn, aren’t you?”

Time passed. If they had any clock nearby, they’d hear its annoying ticking sound and drift to a better land, where no other music existed, other than that of their slow beating hearts. And in that moment of solitude, latched in Dongwoo’s arms, had Daniel’s miniature galaxies focused their attention to an invisible spot. He could feel Dongwoo’s breath softly ravishing the back of his neck. Countless of times they had shared that position, for there was nobody else that knew their pain. Most importantly, Daniel replaced Dongwoo with a past ghost not yet severed from his entity.

“I miss him...”

Dongwoo tightened his arm around the other.

“I know.” he let loose when Daniel turned around on his back. He lifted his head and watched his brother fix his eyes on the ceiling as he had previously done, contemplating his words. “Why don’t you go see him?”

“I don’t think he wants to see me anymore.”

“I’m pretty sure he misses you too, just go.”

“He’s still angry...”

“Oh come on...” Dongwoo frowned “It’s not like you were lovers.”

Daniel smiled.

“No, of course not.”

“Then go see him these days.”

And that smile felt so out of place.




 

---




 

Two hours later, Daniel had been abruptly woken up by the front door. He crawled on all fours before he could get up. Before he hit the corner to see the entrance, Henry grabbed him by his shoulders with a wild like animal's pant escaping his lips.

“You’re here...” he whispered out of the blue. Daniel barely processed everything.

“, Dongwoo!” he whispered back. Henry stuck his lover to the wall.

“I don’t care,” he kissed him “I don’t care about the world,” and again “I only care about you.”

“Hen...” Daniel closed his eyes when Henry kissed him one last time, his rough fingers clutched to Daniel’s brown locks.

“Because I’m already lost in your world,” Henry pressed his thumb over Daniel’s lips.

He smiled.

It felt wrong.

Henry kissing him felt wrong.

Henry loving him felt wrong.

Daniel kept on smiling.


Lynnda (we own WGF together) needed a story to practice her trailer skills on, so... Euonymus trailer is up in the foreword :3 I'll also stop with the author notes, nobody reads them anyway... except feathers =_= (...but, as promised, I wrote that V-day special. It will have a sequel on Monday because on 24th is our country's version of V-day and meh). Thank you for reading ^^